Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

Crackbone posted:

The effect is all wrong though, as the motion lines on the poster make it look like the ship is flying backwards, away from the viewer.

I'm sure there's a good technobabble reason to explain it though!

It's in reverse.

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Crackbone posted:

The effect is all wrong though, as the motion lines on the poster make it look like the ship is flying backwards, away from the viewer.

It's a metaphor of the clashing direction between where the fans wanted Star Trek to go and where Abrams took the series. You're seeing a ship being raped which is why it's uncomfortable to tell what's going on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crackbone posted:

The Mass Effect field has to be projected in front of the ship too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Byzantine posted:

It's in reverse.

:smug:

Bullshit. Everyone knows the crew of the Starship Enterprise boldly go forward because they can't find reverse.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Crackbone posted:

The wrap drive doesn't move the ship, it moves the Universe past the ship, in reverse.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Not that it matters for what is primarily an attractive visual presentation, but an object passing you traveling faster-than-light will actually (given certain assumptions about the possibility of such objects existing) create a blurred version of the object appearing to retreat once it has gone by. See the illustration below of a tachyon passing an observer, where the dim sphere is the FTL object and the blue and red shapes are distortions of the sphere appearing to retreat in opposite directions.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I can't be alone in seeing a Face/off Nicolas Cage here.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

beanieson posted:

nope, it's definitely this:

:suspense:

I really like this poster because it is a simple and eye-catching design that is very aesthetically pleasing. However, now all I see is a tall dude drinking out of a can with a long straw. Thanks guys.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

scary ghost dog posted:

I really like this poster because it is a simple and eye-catching design that is very aesthetically pleasing. However, now all I see is a tall dude drinking out of a can with a long straw. Thanks guys.

I dislike it because I don't think it's any of those things. Except the tall dude, that I see.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

I dislike it because I don't think it's any of those things. Except the tall dude, that I see.

Yeah, that's a really poor poster and it's worse now that Crackbone made me notice the ship appears to be flying backwards.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Not that it matters for what is primarily an attractive visual presentation, but an object passing you traveling faster-than-light will actually (given certain assumptions about the possibility of such objects existing) create a blurred version of the object appearing to retreat once it has gone by. See the illustration below of a tachyon passing an observer, where the dim sphere is the FTL object and the blue and red shapes are distortions of the sphere appearing to retreat in opposite directions.

Since when have Star Trek and Science ever really hung out together? Sure they pretend to be friends but Star Trek is a real dick when the chips are down.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

scary ghost dog posted:

Looks more like Bigfoot with a 40oz.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Crackbone posted:

It's almost like it is a poster advertising a movie that is more about style over substance.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

davidspackage posted:

I can't be alone in seeing a Face/off Nicolas Cage here.

I saw Nic Cage in that picture too.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Since when have Star Trek and Science ever really hung out together? Sure they pretend to be friends but Star Trek is a real dick when the chips are down.

I didn't mean to suggest that any relationship between actual physics and that poster (which I think is very dynamic and attractive) is anything but coincidental.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Crackbone posted:

They're not motion lines, man. It's the tunnel effect created when they're in hyperdrivewarp. See: gif.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hewlett posted:

If you blur your eyes a bit, it looks like a ground-level view of a guy holding a large drink can with a long straw he's drinking out of.

:stare: Holy gently caress

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I am completely unable to see that poster as it was originally intended after reading that.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

French character posters for Spring Breakers are out. Since they're basically shots of girls in bikinis, I'm going to assume they're :nws: and will be linking them.

Selena Gomez
http://i.imgur.com/QcntCwR.jpg

Vanessa Hudgens
http://i.imgur.com/vY8NSUv.jpg

Ashley Benson
http://i.imgur.com/MVNCAIT.jpg

Rachel Korine
http://i.imgur.com/bsk1Goy.jpg

James Franco's one probably isn't NWS though.

Also, more from Olympus Has Fallen

:911:

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 7, 2013

tliil
Jan 13, 2013
"Our nation will rise"? Hollywood sure is trying to get some mileage out of an uninspiring verb.

Those Spring Breakers posters are horribly generic and I think three of the girls have the same overly-smoothed cleavage.

Here is the much better Spring Breakers poster

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Vagabundo posted:

Also, more from Olympus Has Fallen

Something about these posters screams "television". I think it's the font choices and the way the title is rendered.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

foodfight posted:

Ryan Gosling plays the male equivalent of the manic pixie dream girl and it is loving terrifying.

I'm ok with this but I want to specifically hear tliils explanation so I can be certain I'm enjoying the movie correctly.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Supercar Gautier posted:

Something about these posters screams "television". I think it's the font choices and the way the title is rendered.

It's very 24

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

That's not James Franco

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

sassassin posted:

That's not James Franco

Yes it is.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ceci n'est pas une Franco.

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!
"Our nation will rise" should be the tagline for Spring Breakers.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Crackbone posted:

Parachute
May 18, 2003

This was a bad time to re-paint the comm room on the Voyager.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Stallone, I am disappoint.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dillbag posted:

Stallone, I am disappoint.

Looks like the German/Euro poster for Bullet To The Head, judging from the credits.

But, god, that's a lot of veins.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Stallone looks like if he brushed up against a wet bramble he'd explosively de-pressurise.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

What? You want a poster of the kid putting both parents in a headlock, but you only have a picture of her with her hands on her hips? Sure, we can do that.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That's a mouthful of a tagline.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Are those supposed to be her parents? They look the same age.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

aga. posted:

Are those supposed to be her parents? They look the same age.

You weren't the only one thinking that, turns out she's 27 this year, playing a 16 year old.

To be fair, her parents in the film were born in 59 and 68, so they're just airbrushed to hell and back looking like that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hahahahahaha

Awesome.

vvvvvv just finished that yesterday.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 8, 2013

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!