Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Wheany posted:

My guys now have two-frame walking animation.
This is how I ended up doing it: I added the new animation frame graphic next to the existing one in texture and set the "Tiling" parameter in the inspector to 0.5. Then whenever my frame changes, I set the texture offset:

renderer.material.mainTextureOffset = [frame offset as a Vector2].

I missed this earlier, one thing to be aware of is that by doing renderer.material will create a copy of the material asset in the scene (this will only happen the first time on a per renderer basis), these will not get cleaned up until you either change scene or call Resources.UnloadUnusedAssets, even if the gameobject that was referencing the Material goes away.

Most of the time it's better to do use Renderer.SetPropertyBlock, but this does not support texture environment details. I would favor writing a custom shader that uses float paramaters for the tiling / offset and then doing it manually via property blocks to save on the material copy overhead.

Some things to note: Copying the material (instancing) will allow shared instances to be batched (so long as they meet the other batching rules). Using Property blocks currently breaks batching because it can not batch the changed properties. Figure out which on is best for your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

xgalaxy posted:

I saw this on twitter today:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/esotericsoftware/spine

Keyframed and Skeletal animation for 2d and UI.
Looks pretty cool, and you can use it already.

Wow, this looks really slick. I'm a terrible artist, so simplifying animation by drawing the body parts one time is really appealing, especially where difficult animations come into play. The video covers walking and jumping animations and makes a point of how the keyframes allow merging animations together much more easily. Now up the difficulty to something like a flying dragon transitioning to a standing position on the ground as it lands: you've got all the same base body parts like arms, legs and head to handle, plus the wing and tail movement. This tool seems like it'd make fluid 2D motion something easier to manipulate.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Mo_Steel posted:

Wow, this looks really slick. I'm a terrible artist, so simplifying animation by drawing the body parts one time is really appealing, especially where difficult animations come into play. The video covers walking and jumping animations and makes a point of how the keyframes allow merging animations together much more easily. Now up the difficulty to something like a flying dragon transitioning to a standing position on the ground as it lands: you've got all the same base body parts like arms, legs and head to handle, plus the wing and tail movement. This tool seems like it'd make fluid 2D motion something easier to manipulate.
It isn't unique. I'm not actually sure what it adds over:

Spriter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/539087245/spriter
Smooth Moves (Unity): http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/124211-Smooth-Moves-2D-Skeletal-Animation

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Strumpy posted:

I missed this earlier, one thing to be aware of is that by doing renderer.material will create a copy of the material asset in the scene (this will only happen the first time on a per renderer basis), these will not get cleaned up until you either change scene or call Resources.UnloadUnusedAssets, even if the gameobject that was referencing the Material goes away.

Wait, so changing renderer.material.mainTextureOffset makes a new copy of renderer.material?

Because currently I'm doing that 2 timer per second on half of my gameobjects.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Wheany posted:

Wait, so changing renderer.material.mainTextureOffset makes a new copy of renderer.material?

Because currently I'm doing that 2 timer per second on half of my gameobjects.

Calling renderer.material implicitly creates a copy of the material specifically for that renderer. The copy is ONLY made the first time you call renderer.material. After that the material property will return the cached copy.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

thegasman2000 posted:

Anyone using Stencyl? I was using Gamesalad but the lack of adding additional code became a problem...

I am looking to add some sliders to my game, nice simple ones to manage a variable for example whats your height? and the slider goes from 4ft through 7ft... I can assign that to player_height or something so i can use it later on. Now in Stencyl I have literally no idea how to make this slider. Is it an actor?

First, check the Forge through the Stencyl IDE. You can almost certainly find something by searching for "slider."

To roll your own, you could create an actor with a behavior called "Slider" and attributes such as minValue, maxValue, currentValue, and so on. Then, when the mouse button is down on your actor, and the mouse is moved up or down, cirrentValue is modified appropriately. You could use a single actor with many frames to show the position of the slider, or you could use a background actor and a button actor, and update their positions as required, there are many ways to get the job done. In Ace Escape, I just used +/- buttons with discrete step sizes instead of a slider for things like volume control.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Strumpy posted:

Calling renderer.material implicitly creates a copy of the material specifically for that renderer. The copy is ONLY made the first time you call renderer.material. After that the material property will return the cached copy.

Ehh, I can probably live with that. If everything goes to poo poo, I at least have one possible suspect.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I'm thinking of starting a game project (2D, mainly using the keyboard with some use of the mouse, turn-based rather than real-time action) as a learning experience, and was wondering what people's opinions were on PyGame. I have two main concerns. The first is that if I succeed in eventually making something worth playing I'd like it to be relatively easy for people to get it to run without needing to jump through hoops. It's not obvious to me what exactly a user has to do to get a game created in PyGame to run on their computer - do they have to install Python? PyGame itself? Do they have to compile things? Or is it possible to create a self-contained executable (best possible scenario)? The second concern is that it is LGPL licensed and I'm not sure what that means for software made using it (like say, can I make something MIT-licensed using it).

The main advantage of using something like Pygame, as I see it, is that I wouldn't have to learn how to do advanced graphics stuff in a low-level language, as otherwise might be the case. Another advantage is that it's supposedly very cross-platform, as in things should work on Windows, on Mac and on Linux as long as they work on any one of the above. I'm not too concerned with the question of how performant games made in PyGame might be as I don't expect the game to be particularly demanding of the user's machine.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
I'm in C# in a unity function doing the following:
Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.LeftShift)

The debugger reports an error: "Unknown member: KeyCode"

Why is unity not aware of it's own documented enum?

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Physical posted:

Are you importing the namespace that KeyCode belongs to?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Hammerite posted:

I'm thinking of starting a game project (2D, mainly using the keyboard with some use of the mouse, turn-based rather than real-time action) as a learning experience, and was wondering what people's opinions were on PyGame. I have two main concerns. The first is that if I succeed in eventually making something worth playing I'd like it to be relatively easy for people to get it to run without needing to jump through hoops. It's not obvious to me what exactly a user has to do to get a game created in PyGame to run on their computer - do they have to install Python? PyGame itself? Do they have to compile things? Or is it possible to create a self-contained executable (best possible scenario)? The second concern is that it is LGPL licensed and I'm not sure what that means for software made using it (like say, can I make something MIT-licensed using it).

The main advantage of using something like Pygame, as I see it, is that I wouldn't have to learn how to do advanced graphics stuff in a low-level language, as otherwise might be the case. Another advantage is that it's supposedly very cross-platform, as in things should work on Windows, on Mac and on Linux as long as they work on any one of the above. I'm not too concerned with the question of how performant games made in PyGame might be as I don't expect the game to be particularly demanding of the user's machine.

I've dabbled in pygame years ago and it was the first game lib I ever used. It's definitely fun to get into. As for distribution, you can look into py2exe library to generate Windows executables but for other environments, I'm not sure. If you like the scripting language game libraries, also take a look at LÖVE (Lua) and Gosu (Ruby). I've used both for prototype stuff and are really easy as well.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

HiriseSoftware posted:

Are you importing the namespace that KeyCode belongs to?
It belongs to UnityEngine which is being imported.

Another question: I have two 3D points that the user selects their location. I then want to draw a quad between the nodes. I need to make sure I get the winding for the vertices on the connecting quad right, how would I do this? (In Unity and C#).

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Physical posted:

It belongs to UnityEngine which is being imported.

Is anything in your script named Input?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

I think the big difference is the emphasis on skeletal based animation, in addition to key frame and tween.
I wish someone would kickstarter an open source tool like this though instead of these closed source solutions.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 8, 2013

Megadrive
Sep 6, 2011

Physical posted:

Pretty sure it's supposed to be

Input.GetKeyDown(Input.KeyCode.LeftShift)

edit: It's actually not and I'm a retard for assuming. The docs definitely seem to say KeyCode should be used by itself. Hrm.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

Megadrive posted:

Pretty sure it's supposed to be

Input.GetKeyDown(Input.KeyCode.LeftShift)

edit: It's actually not and I'm a retard for assuming. The docs definitely seem to say KeyCode should be used by itself. Hrm.

Noob question, but any idea what would be the advantage of using KeyCode over defining keys in the input manager and calling them by name?

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Thumbquat posted:

Noob question, but any idea what would be the advantage of using KeyCode over defining keys in the input manager and calling them by name?

Because the Unity Input manager currently sucks majorly and writing your own that is configurable and better is a very smart idea.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Physical posted:

I think Input.GetKeyDown takes a Key not a KeyCode, as in -

Input.GetKeyDown(Key.LeftShift) wrong info! This is what I get for posting away from my computer :)

superh fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 8, 2013

geera
May 20, 2003
Does anybody have any experience / opinions about the HTML5 game engines mentioned on the Spine Kickstarter page? (PlayN, Construct 2, cocos2d-html5, Platino, ImpactJS) I'm playing around with an HTML5 game idea and will probably need to use an engine rather than trying to do it all in jQuery, but I've never used any of them before so I don't know which to choose.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

geera posted:

Does anybody have any experience / opinions about the HTML5 game engines mentioned on the Spine Kickstarter page? (PlayN, Construct 2, cocos2d-html5, Platino, ImpactJS) I'm playing around with an HTML5 game idea and will probably need to use an engine rather than trying to do it all in jQuery, but I've never used any of them before so I don't know which to choose.

PlayN was okay for me, but I never deployed to GWT. Be warned it's a bitch to set up and doesn't always play well with version control. Jaws JS worked well for my first HTML game. Some like Crafty, but the component based system really distracted me. If I went back and tried it again I suspect I would like it. Lastly, Collie was pretty good, but the documentation is lacking and it will be a bit slow on Cordova.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I declare myself the bonelord of goats. :black101:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Unormal posted:

I declare myself the bonelord of goats. :black101:

Someone mentioned if they were 3D models before (now I can see they're not), but man, I really wanna see a 3D model stylised to look like that. It'd look raddddd.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I've been playing around with an idea for a few weeks. It was kinda' fun and enjoyable, but I've been fiddling with it now for long enough that I'm kinda' acclimated to it and can't tell if it's actually fun.

Demo: http://www.josephcatrambone.com/games/metalskyarena/

There's the basic gameplay. Enemies don't fight back at the moment, so it's a bit easy. Click somewhere to make a gravity well which will pull you and everything else towards it. Throw enemies into the barriers to make them catch fire and explode.

I'm thinking that two confounding mechanics could be:

1) Limited power to your point-mass generator. Have to refill by standing inside recharge areas or by having it refill slowly.

2) Pulse mines which will throw you around if you get too close.

I'd like to hear from someone about whether or not this seems fun before investing a lot of time.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Jo posted:

1) Limited power to your point-mass generator. Have to refill by standing inside recharge areas or by having it refill slowly.

I'd like to hear from someone about whether or not this seems fun before investing a lot of time.
Seems like it could be good, with enough interesting variations (enemies shooting / making their own attractors / repellers).
Might work better if objects didn't act as point-masses themselves - creating an attractor inside the enemy for a fraction of a second makes them accelerate much more than it does you, thanks to inverse square, which gives rather too much control. Could be fixed by any of:
1. you can't create an attractor too close to a thing.
2. an attractor has a minimum duration.
3. an attractor inside the volume of a thing produces a reduced acceleration because of the mass of the thing that's on the opposite side of the attractor.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Jo posted:

I've been playing around with an idea for a few weeks. It was kinda' fun and enjoyable, but I've been fiddling with it now for long enough that I'm kinda' acclimated to it and can't tell if it's actually fun.

Demo: http://www.josephcatrambone.com/games/metalskyarena/

There's the basic gameplay. Enemies don't fight back at the moment, so it's a bit easy. Click somewhere to make a gravity well which will pull you and everything else towards it. Throw enemies into the barriers to make them catch fire and explode.

I'd rather not have a time-regeneration; It just creates dead-time in game-play, in the general sense. What if left clicking created a well, and right clicking destroyed a well, and you could only have 3 at once, or something.

e: hold down to charge up a big well if you have more than one 'slot' free.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 10, 2013

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Thank you both for commenting. It's encouraging to know this isn't just another blind pet project.

Unormal posted:

I'd rather not have a time-regeneration; It just creates dead-time in game-play, in the general sense. What if left clicking created a well, and right clicking destroyed a well, and you could only have 3 at once, or something.

e: hold down to charge up a big well if you have more than one 'slot' free.

Oooh. I like this. Makes it more of a resource management issue than a quick-reaction thing and keeps people from just picking themselves out of a fling towards the walls. I'll make these tweaks and upload a new one.

roomforthetuna posted:

Seems like it could be good, with enough interesting variations (enemies shooting / making their own attractors / repellers).
Might work better if objects didn't act as point-masses themselves - creating an attractor inside the enemy for a fraction of a second makes them accelerate much more than it does you, thanks to inverse square, which gives rather too much control. Could be fixed by any of:
1. you can't create an attractor too close to a thing.
2. an attractor has a minimum duration.
3. an attractor inside the volume of a thing produces a reduced acceleration because of the mass of the thing that's on the opposite side of the attractor.

Thanks for the feedback. I tried two and three without much success, but hadn't thought about the first. Seems to be kinda' an obvious choice now that I think about it.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Jo posted:

[spacemun gravity game]
Some way of limiting range, maybe? The optimal strategy is to get as close to the center of mass of the enemy as possible, so that you experience very little acceleration and they're hurtling into an energy barrier. Making the gravity fields stronger would work counter to their being fields in the first place, since the stronger it is the more likely it is to affect all things equally (it won't be equal, but a space as confined as this means there's little difference between velocities beyond a certain point, and higher acceleration would reach those velocities far more quickly).

*edit*
I'm not sure how this could be worked in, but I think it'd be neat seeing lasers bending around the curved spacetime near the anomalies and changing direction/attenuating/whatever else.

*moreedit*
A way of preventing collision with the anomaly itself would be helpful. It'd prevent objects from flinging themselves into asymptotic acceleration. Working in a Roche limit would be cool, but might be easily exploitable. I'm not even sure what a Schwartzchild radius would do in terms of game mechanics.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 11, 2013

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Some way of limiting range, maybe? The optimal strategy is to get as close to the center of mass of the enemy as possible, so that you experience very little acceleration and they're hurtling into an energy barrier. Making the gravity fields stronger would work counter to their being fields in the first place, since the stronger it is the more likely it is to affect all things equally (it won't be equal, but a space as confined as this means there's little difference between velocities beyond a certain point, and higher acceleration would reach those velocities far more quickly).

*edit*
I'm not sure how this could be worked in, but I think it'd be neat seeing lasers bending around the curved spacetime near the anomalies and changing direction/attenuating/whatever else.

*moreedit*
A way of preventing collision with the anomaly itself would be helpful. It'd prevent objects from flinging themselves into asymptotic acceleration. Working in a Roche limit would be cool, but might be easily exploitable. I'm not even sure what a Schwartzchild radius would do in terms of game mechanics.

Just tried with the Schwartzchild radius and it made it kinda' easy to cheat. You just find a cozy place in the corner and then throw a point mass just above the spawn points. Enemy gets sucked into walls ad nauseum.

Bending energy barriers with the gravity field is, conceptually, so awesome that it makes my butthole pucker. This is going to be a hell of challenge to my blatant ineptitude with Unity, but it belongs on the to-do list. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

EDIT: Also, the single, stationary gravity well works out nicely. There's a strange bug in the Flash builder when I try to deploy it, however, so the change might not make it out today.

Jo fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 11, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm trying to wrap my head around accessing variables from other scripts in Unity. Basically, my problem is that I want my score counter (That increases by 1 every frame, so very quickly) to stop upon death, and that value that it stops at stored in another script attached to the player (or anywhere, really. I'll eventually have a screen pop up that says 'Congratulations, your score is ####!). I've looked, read, and re-read the 'accessing other game objects' reference page on Unity's site, but holy poo poo, I don't know if I'm just particularly daft or what, but I just can't get it.

What's the theory, how do I wrap my head around referencing another Game object's script, or a variable in that script?

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around accessing variables from other scripts in Unity. Basically, my problem is that I want my score counter (That increases by 1 every frame, so very quickly) to stop upon death, and that value that it stops at stored in another script attached to the player (or anywhere, really. I'll eventually have a screen pop up that says 'Congratulations, your score is ####!). I've looked, read, and re-read the 'accessing other game objects' reference page on Unity's site, but holy poo poo, I don't know if I'm just particularly daft or what, but I just can't get it.

What's the theory, how do I wrap my head around referencing another Game object's script, or a variable in that script?

If you're using JS, you can add the `@script RequireComponent( <Script> )` modifier at the top of your file. Then use var myThing = otherObject.GetComponent(<Script>); myThing.prop += 1;.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

What language are you in?

In c# you gotta cast it, something like this.
code:
ScriptName _myScriptName = myGameobject.gameObject.GetComponent("ScriptName") as ScriptName;
Don't forget that your scripts are actually like classes, and all the things that normally apply to classes still work, including constructors.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
^^^^ C# is the one where you don't actually have to cast it because there's a template for that. In JS you have to cast it with an 'as' I think.

For things like this where there's only going to be one at a time ever, I go with using a static variable. That's super easy to access, you put it in whatever class you feel like it belongs with (or in a separate static "AllMyStaticVariables" class if you prefer), then you can reference it from anywhere as AllMyStaticVariables.Score or WhateverClass.Score. (After importing the class file anywhere you're going to use its static variables.)

If you really want to pull it off another object, there's a variety of ways to do it - generally in Unity I go with getting it by name - GameObject.Find("objectname"). This is a slow function so don't use it all the time, if there's something you'd be retrieving repeatedly then call Find once and stick the value in a variable.

Then to access variables from a script on another object (or even on the same object) you do
code:
ThatScriptsClassName thing=that	object.GetComponent<ThatScriptsClassName>();
thing.getScore(); //or thing.Score if you're just going to make the variable public
That's the C# way, Javascript is slightly different, look up the docs for GameObject.GetComponent()

Don't actually call your variables "thing" that was just me trying to make it clear which part was a local variable and which parts were class names.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 11, 2013

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
A few pages back, but...

Shalinor posted:

If it's any consolation, I'm a mathematician and...
Can we start a Mathematicians Making Games club? I wonder how of us there are!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

A few pages back, but...

It would be a very nerdy club where we all made Monty Hall simulation games, and compared A* to the travelling salesman.

... actually that could be fun :neckbeard:

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

SharpenedSpoonv2 posted:

Just look for people making games with complex systems. No mathematician can resist teleological simulation.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
More game developers should investigate non-Euclidean geometry. Exploring a non-orientable manifold would be such the mindfuck.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

WaterIsPoison posted:

More game developers should investigate non-Euclidean geometry. Exploring a non-orientable manifold would be such the mindfuck.

At one point I was toying with the idea of making a Minesweeper clone that would have allowed you to play on a torus or Klein bottle. (No fancy visualisation, it would just have been a 2d display with the option to shift the viewport in any of the 4 directions.) It was going to be called "Kleinsweeper".

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

Shalinor posted:

It would be a very nerdy club where we all made Monty Hall simulation games, and compared A* to the travelling salesman.

... actually that could be fun :neckbeard:
I say we make this happen!!

WaterIsPoison posted:

Hammerite posted:

At one point I was toying with the idea of making a Minesweeper clone that would have allowed you to play on a torus or Klein bottle. (No fancy visualisation, it would just have been a 2d display with the option to shift the viewport in any of the 4 directions.) It was going to be called "Kleinsweeper".
You mean like these? :) http://www.geometrygames.org/TorusGames/

Also, I have so few places to go on this rant: Antichamber is NOT non-Euclidean geometry! It is a game in which the levels change as you move through them... that's all! It bugs me so much (and much more than it should, I know) every time I hear people describe it as a game with non-Euclidean geometry :emo:
(Credentials: did my thesis on, basically, four-dimensional objects so I feel like I am one of those experts who can speak on it)

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I am occasionally tempted to make an Elite-style space-battle game in 4 dimensions, where the extra dimension is something you can rotate through, and your scanners can see into, but you can only see into it when you're facing something in it (in the same way as you can't see things that in the wrong direction in normal 3D space). It would be similar controls to any space game, only with an extra axis.

I suppose one could start with a Flatland 3D space game on the same premise.

But then I realize that nobody would want to play such a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

roomforthetuna posted:

I am occasionally tempted to make an Elite-style space-battle game in 4 dimensions, where the extra dimension is something you can rotate through, and your scanners can see into, but you can only see into it when you're facing something in it (in the same way as you can't see things that in the wrong direction in normal 3D space). It would be similar controls to any space game, only with an extra axis.

I suppose one could start with a Flatland 3D space game on the same premise.

But then I realize that nobody would want to play such a game.
I would play the poo poo out of that game. I once stumbled upon a Gamemaker demo/proof of concept where you could move around in four dimensions - I've never been able to find it again but it was very very fun and intriguing.