Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

Loving Life Partner posted:

It's funny, 2.25 years in to this job, the thing I hate most are normal vanilla service calls that I have done 45,000 times already.

The calls I love? When people are insane pissed off and rambling crazy nonsense. I just sit back in my chair with a smile on my face and listen to them go off, and if it's their fault they're pissed off? They're ten times as furious!

I had a guy today saying that a manager was supposed to call him yesterday and he stayed up all night waiting for a manager to call him, and now he wants to be compensated for it. He wants money from us! How loving nuts!?

Another guy ranting about his rate increase started going on and on about gay marriage and wiretapping and Obama this and that and I need to get my head examined, the world should have ended in December, etc. *kisses fingers* Mwah!

I love it.

Completely agree. I would rather have pissed off or weird customers as opposed to normal calls/the usual stupidity/lack of common sense I get most of the times. The job is mundane and boring at the best of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

MA-Horus posted:

Do the factory work. I can absolutely guarantee it'll be better and you'll enjoy it more.

Plus in the right factory you get a free work out

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Wow today is bizarro day.

The rep across the wall from me is in tears yelling at our accounting department for shorting her check (I know why its short and it's totally her fault, she's been over collecting for not correcting her time card on early quits for a month and it finally caught up with her).

And I get a customer calling me thanking me for a refund check we issued for premium he over paid a year ago. Someone found a bunch policies that weren't getting multi policy discounts, a recovery event happened, and a bunch of people got checks for like $30-60 from us.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Welp, as of 5/6/13, my whole office is shitcanned. At least I have 90 days, but I've never lost a job before. This is, well, gently caress.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Welp, as of 5/6/13, my whole office is shitcanned. At least I have 90 days, but I've never lost a job before. This is, well, gently caress.

The call centre I use to work at is now completely closing. You will fill better about yourself now that you are gone.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sbaldrick posted:

The call centre I use to work at is now completely closing. You will fill better about yourself now that you are gone.

Yeah, they're shutting mine down too and opening up a new one in florida where it's cheaper. At least it was such a massive layoff they were legally required to give us advance notice, instead of the last one they did where people found out that they were losing their job the day of. I stayed at this place longer than I meant to, anyway.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Our company has gone from 7 call centers in the US to 3 and a bunch overseas. I'd imagine the writing's on the wall for us, I just need to find someone else first.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Yeah, they're shutting mine down too and opening up a new one in florida where it's cheaper. At least it was such a massive layoff they were legally required to give us advance notice, instead of the last one they did where people found out that they were losing their job the day of. I stayed at this place longer than I meant to, anyway.

When I got laid off we found out by a radio report before the start of the day.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

sbaldrick posted:

When I got laid off we found out by a radio report before the start of the day.

Not everyone's that lucky, unfortunately. Must suck turning up only to be sent home.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ZeroDays posted:

Not everyone's that lucky, unfortunately. Must suck turning up only to be sent home.

The last round of layoffs they did was in the middle of the day. So you show up, do your job for a few hours, then find out you might as well have stayed home in your sweats all day.

I did get my severance agreement today, and hot drat, when people told me they were pretty generous they weren't kidding. A month's pay? Not bad. Not bad at all. It's a good feeling, having an end date and knowing that when that date comes they're cutting me a good-sized check.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

Man, if someone came up to me and offered me a months severance on any of the call-centre jobs I did, I'd have snapped that poo poo right up without hesitation, long-term security be damned. Hell, I quit them all bar one (got fired), so kinda goes without saying. There's lots of bright light beyond, just walk into it and leave Plato's Cave behind.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

ZeroDays posted:

Man, if someone came up to me and offered me a months severance on any of the call-centre jobs I did, I'd have snapped that poo poo right up without hesitation, long-term security be damned. Hell, I quit them all bar one (got fired), so kinda goes without saying. There's lots of bright light beyond, just walk into it and leave Plato's Cave behind.

Same. If I was offered a months pay in return to not work here anymore, I would cry tears of joy and laughter and run out the door before they could change their minds...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, I went into the meeting expecting to be getting nothing at all, so this has been a massive load off of my mind. Now time to phone it in (:v:) for the next 85 or so days while I find something new that's as far away from telephones as possible.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
You're so lucky! I'm itching for a redundancy, have been since they opened offshore ops a year and a half ago. I'm hoping it'll come soon, especially since we are considering selling business divisions right now. I'm looking for other work already, since I finished my teaching course, but it's almost worth it to rubber neck as I've been there so long my redundancy is 3 months pay.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
My joint is still hiring like crazy, I see new hire classes full every time I leave, when one moves out the next moves in. I don't think I could get fired if I wanted to at this point. I'm a frontline rep with 2 years banked who hasn't snapped and cursed out a customer. Even with my mediocre stats and a "call avoidance" ding on my record, I could probably Peter Gibbons this thing up pretty good before they let me go.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kat Delacour posted:

You're so lucky! I'm itching for a redundancy, have been since they opened offshore ops a year and a half ago. I'm hoping it'll come soon, especially since we are considering selling business divisions right now. I'm looking for other work already, since I finished my teaching course, but it's almost worth it to rubber neck as I've been there so long my redundancy is 3 months pay.

Gotta love when they open up a new office. The team I'm on knew this was coming about a month and a half or so ago when they hired a bunch of new guys for us. In Orlando. We're based in NYC. Within 6 weeks, they told us we were closing down.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

My joint is still hiring like crazy, I see new hire classes full every time I leave, when one moves out the next moves in. I don't think I could get fired if I wanted to at this point. I'm a frontline rep with 2 years banked who hasn't snapped and cursed out a customer. Even with my mediocre stats and a "call avoidance" ding on my record, I could probably Peter Gibbons this thing up pretty good before they let me go.

Are you me? Cause this is basically me right now. We haven't even got enough room for the new hires.

It's awesome cause I reall want job security and this is as good as it is around here right now. Even if its on the phones.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Edit: Nevermind.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I don't want to burst your bubble, but that doesn't mean poo poo. Try again in a year or so, when the labor well has gone dry.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Chicken Doodle posted:

Are you me? Cause this is basically me right now. We haven't even got enough room for the new hires.

It's awesome cause I reall want job security and this is as good as it is around here right now. Even if its on the phones.

Seruiously- we just got done with a hiring binge, and they canned EVERYONE IN THE OFFICE. How long does your company have the lease for? That's what did in my job- they spent a bunch of extra money to rent out an office for the call center in the financial district, which was the biggest expense of the entire company. Oddly enough, my last day is when the lease ends.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I don't want to burst your bubble, but that doesn't mean poo poo. Try again in a year or so, when the labor well has gone dry.

If i'm not mistaken, LLP works in insurance, which tends to be slightly less brutal and better paying than most call center work. And since it often requires licenses and months of expensive, company provided training, you generally have to be pretty bad to be let go.

My company is planning on moving us from 3 seperate buildings into one mega building in about 2 years, plus move more jobs out of other cities to lovely Denver when this happens. Hopefully more off the phone jobs, which we do have plenty of here, but the competition is fierce for them.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

ZeroDays posted:

We had people who had been there for 12 years, just closing the doors would get all there assets seized in the US and Canada. We found out about our layoff that was 3 months down the line that day.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

blackmet posted:

If i'm not mistaken, LLP works in insurance, which tends to be slightly less brutal and better paying than most call center work. And since it often requires licenses and months of expensive, company provided training, you generally have to be pretty bad to be let go.
We had insurance agents, they moved them into other programs or just ate the loss and put them on indefinite layoff where they'd call in everyday to see if work was available (ie. fired them without having the balls to fire them).

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

Yeah call centers mess with your head, take as much time as you can to "decompress" after working there. Not saying don't look for work, but realize that having some forced time off is going to work wonders for you. Just the pay bit that sucks

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
Spent 4.5 years in the same call center now (insurance company). I hosed around so much on the phone last year. So, so much call avoidance: racked up massive ACW, was late coming back from breaks/lunches on a daily basis, hung up on rude people, transferred foreign language calls back into the queue instead of getting a translator, hit mute and recycled random calls from my phone back into the queue when I didn't feel like talking.

But I just found out that due to the new phone system we started using early in 2012, they couldn't track ANY of those metrics--no ACW, no call times, no # transfers or where we transferred to, nothing. So my annual review was based entirely on attendance and claim QA scores (no calls shorter than 10 minutes ever get QA-checked). And those metrics, being the only 2 I bamfed, means I'm getting a HUGE loving bonus. /fistpump

They've said they can track all that poo poo now. We'll see. Haven't seen hide nor hair of January metrics yet.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

They can do that at our center too, they're either too lazy or too backlogged on other poo poo. We were promised monthly stat reviews for schedule bidding progress, but so far nothing has been given to us.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Massive system outages here today.

They tell us to keep taking calls and redirecting people to the website or call back, but meanwhile "first call resolution" is our key stat, there's no way I'm chancing taking 40 calls in the next hour or so telling everyone to call back and have my FCR tank this month, suck my dick.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
All you dudes stuck at call centres and other crappy jobs, I sympathise. I worked in a decent call centre for 3 months (Tech Support), but got fired (incompetence, my fault, I kinda saw it coming) after working my rear end off to improve at the job. Then the next paid work I got was the end of last year, stuck at an even worse job, that I eventually quit after 2 months(100% Commission, crap hours, door to door) due to not earning anything. I'm currently in a pre-employment training program for an Aldi opening in my town though, so here's hoping. And if that doesn't go well, I'm going to be doing A-levels this year anyway, to try to get the 3 As (Maths, Physics, Chemistry) I need for a science degree.

If either of these go well, at the very least I'll be doing something constructive :unsmith:.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Omgbees posted:

Yeah call centers mess with your head, take as much time as you can to "decompress" after working there. Not saying don't look for work, but realize that having some forced time off is going to work wonders for you. Just the pay bit that sucks

Yeah, right now it looks like I'm taking my month's pay and flying to Chicago to chill at the lady's place and basking in (f)unemployment before I start another job, if I can help it. poo poo hosed with the way I think about a lot of things, from credit cards to accents.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I realize it's not limited to a call-center thing, but it's depressing to hear people freaking out at work over minimum wage increasing per the SOTU address last night because of the many ways the company will gently caress us over.

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

martyrdumb posted:

Spent 4.5 years in the same call center now (insurance company). I hosed around so much on the phone last year. So, so much call avoidance: racked up massive ACW, was late coming back from breaks/lunches on a daily basis, hung up on rude people, transferred foreign language calls back into the queue instead of getting a translator, hit mute and recycled random calls from my phone back into the queue when I didn't feel like talking.

But I just found out that due to the new phone system we started using early in 2012, they couldn't track ANY of those metrics--no ACW, no call times, no # transfers or where we transferred to, nothing. So my annual review was based entirely on attendance and claim QA scores (no calls shorter than 10 minutes ever get QA-checked). And those metrics, being the only 2 I bamfed, means I'm getting a HUGE loving bonus. /fistpump

They've said they can track all that poo poo now. We'll see. Haven't seen hide nor hair of January metrics yet.

You know what, good on you. Nah, I mean it. If someone implements a system of work that can't track key metrics, then they should suffer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Ha, my center is in full on "rats in a sinking ship" mode. They told us we'd be getting severance even if we quit early as long as we give notice, and I've gotten at least six or seven "last day" emails this morning. If I had more money in the bank I'd be taking the money and running, too. Lucky bastards.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Ha, my center is in full on "rats in a sinking ship" mode. They told us we'd be getting severance even if we quit early as long as we give notice, and I've gotten at least six or seven "last day" emails this morning. If I had more money in the bank I'd be taking the money and running, too. Lucky bastards.

Is that anywhere in writing?

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

Last day goodbye e-mails always depressed me, even when it was people I didn't know, as I always had the sense of being left behind.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blue_monday posted:

Is that anywhere in writing?

Yeah, it's in the gigantic packet we got. As long as you provide prior notice, you get the payout.

ZeroDays posted:

Last day goodbye e-mails always depressed me, even when it was people I didn't know, as I always had the sense of being left behind.

Yeah, I know that feeling. It got worse when I started working from home, and as more people left and were (slowly) replaced I started feeling more and more out of the loop.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I've never seen last day e-mails from the people leaving. I dunno if they're told not to, or just choose not to, but it's always my supervisor who sends out a note, and it's always the most bullshit gloss over. It's a real exercise in willful ignorance to say that "so and so has left to pursue other opportunities" when I know for a fact that they were driven to quit by the hellish grind that is the job.

Some people don't even get that much, we just see the supe packing their desk at some point.

When I first started my team was 18 recruits, we're down to 3 originals now, har har.

Some fresh bodies are being moved in in about a month to bolster the ranks, but now our schedules are all out of synch, and the team is split up in a lovely way on the floor so that on some days you can work 10 hours without talking to another soul in physical space. It's so grim.

Jason Ray
Mar 26, 2006
Teetotaling Atheist
I hate when agents will transfer me a call and say, "Good luck!" It's my job to take your escalated phone calls. I don't need luck. I need luck like I need another hole in my head to stick another headset! I wish I could just leave a message for everyone to stop doing that and not seem like a total dick. I've begun saying, "I make my own luck" when they do that. The response back is, "umm...what?" Then I end up wasting another 10-30 seconds explaining myself while the customer we have on hold is getting more angry (he's already angry anyway so who cares right?) and ruining our talk times (which is more important).

My favorite thing though is when an agent will tell me, "The customer is freaking out!" when the customer is overreacting to something that happened. I feel that "freaking out" is a poor choice of words when discussing our customer's reaction, but I especially love it when they transfer me this call and the first thing to come out of the customer's mouth is "I'm freaking out!"

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Jason Ray posted:

I hate when agents will transfer me a call and say, "Good luck!" It's my job to take your escalated phone calls. I don't need luck. I need luck like I need another hole in my head to stick another headset! I wish I could just leave a message for everyone to stop doing that and not seem like a total dick. I've begun saying, "I make my own luck" when they do that. The response back is, "umm...what?" Then I end up wasting another 10-30 seconds explaining myself while the customer we have on hold is getting more angry (he's already angry anyway so who cares right?) and ruining our talk times (which is more important).

Dude, just let it go. I understand that it can be grating, but people don't mean anything by it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jason Ray posted:

My favorite thing though is when an agent will tell me, "The customer is freaking out!" when the customer is overreacting to something that happened. I feel that "freaking out" is a poor choice of words when discussing our customer's reaction, but I especially love it when they transfer me this call and the first thing to come out of the customer's mouth is "I'm freaking out!"

I hate getting warm transferred a call where the person from customer service just says "Their first name is <whatever> and they haven't done business with us before so there's no file in the system!" then transfers it over. I have to ask for their full name anyway, since you didn't give me a goddamn last name, and usually I run the caller ID number through my search and lo-and-be-loving hold, there's a file in the system that took all of a ctrl-c and ctrl-v to find. Christ, just cold transfer that poo poo. It's the same person that does it every time, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jason Ray
Mar 26, 2006
Teetotaling Atheist

Nocheez posted:

Dude, just let it go. I understand that it can be grating, but people don't mean anything by it.

Yeah I know I'm taking it too seriously but it gets annoying especially when it's back to back escalations. I'm just venting.

I've been in my department for way too long and I've been able to pin point when the transfer rush hits. It's usually right around when most people in the center have lunch time, which is totally coincidental (right?). It's also around when people in the west coast get off work and decide to call customer service and get pissed because every department they're looking for is gone for the day.