Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jackie Robinson: Failed Mountain Climber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gonz posted:

Jackie Robinson: Failed Mountain Climber

I've been waiting so long for Cliffhanger 2.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I kind of love this.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Poor, poor French Stewart.

:smith:

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Holy poo poo, that tagline review quote.

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 8, 2013

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Rahonavis posted:

Holy poo poo, that tagline.

I don't see any tagline

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Darthemed posted:

Poor, poor French Stewart.

:smith:

Seriously, what has that guy done to deserve his career.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

They didn't even have to ask him to make that pose.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

massive spider posted:

I'm ok with this but I want to specifically hear tliils explanation so I can be certain I'm enjoying the movie correctly.
The great thing about the internet is that people aren't obligated to respond to you!
A rare sighting of a perfect poster! It'll be fun to contrast it with the lovely DVD cover that has Harrison Ford's face taking up most of the real estate.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

tliil posted:

The great thing about the internet is that people aren't obligated to respond to you!

Quit bogarting the correct understanding of Drive dude.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

tliil posted:

A rare sighting of a perfect poster!

It seems like just yesterday I was defending Bullet to the Head. This was done with the same vendors and the same team as Bullet. Just a perfect example of how circumstances can combine to create a lovely poster or a good one depending on a number of factors.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I find baseball about as interesting as the history of accounting in Finland but this really makes me want to see the movie. It's just plain great and eye catching.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The tagline doesn't do anything for me though. It obviously talks about racism but what's "greatness"? It's too vague.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Like instead of just seeing color you recognize greatness.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
That 42 poster is ridiculously eye-catching and infinitely more interesting than 98% of posters out there, I may be reading too much into this but I love how the unorthodox perspective matches the message of the tagline (and what Jackie/Rickey were doing to begin with). And it's just pretty to look at. I hate you even more, now, floating head posters.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
It's a movie about a rockclimber who discovers the answer to the life, universe and everything while mountain climbing?

I guess the movie will be advertised a bit differently outside of USA?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I don't know what it is about the sand/dirt kicking up off the ground but it does look like he's lost his left hand somewhere.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Yeah, this is aces, Kiimo. Cheers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That 42 poster is great. I had no idea they were making a Jackie Robinson movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Codependent Poster posted:

That 42 poster is great. I had no idea they were making a Jackie Robinson movie.

Along with that sick poster it has a pretty great trailer too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP3G4E2ael8

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My boss likes to mix gangster rap and period pieces. Gangster Squad and Jay-Z. 42 and...Jay Z. It's his thing. I don't know. At least it isn't dub-step.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

kiimo posted:

My boss likes to mix gangster rap and period pieces. Gangster Squad and Jay-Z. 42 and...Jay Z. It's his thing. I don't know. At least it isn't dub-step.

It rules.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FreudianSlippers posted:

I find baseball about as interesting as the history of accounting in Finland but this really makes me want to see the movie. It's just plain great and eye catching.

I find baseball to be one of the most boring, interminable and miserable to watch sports on the planet but holy poo poo if I don't love me a good baseball movie. :)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Weird I just realized my top two favorite sports movies (Field of Dreams and The Natural) are both based on my least favorite sport.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The greatest movie of all time, The Sandlot, is also about baseball.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That's a pretty good poster Kiimo. I'm sorta bummed out at all the baseball hate in this thread, though.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

kiimo posted:

Did your boss also do the trailer for The Great Gatsby or is that just some new trend?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

kiimo posted:

Weird I just realized my top two favorite sports movies (Field of Dreams and The Natural) are both based on my least favorite sport.

Jerusalem posted:

I find baseball to be one of the most boring, interminable and miserable to watch sports on the planet but holy poo poo if I don't love me a good baseball movie. :)

Weird, right?

(If you're an American) There's this weird folksy nobility to the sport. It predates every living person, and the great legends of the sport are taller tales than the founding fathers. It's like if you're born in the US you just instinctively know it's some sort of hallowed and sacred thing.

Meanwhile, it's soul-crushingly boring to watch and just about anyone (American) would rather watch hockey or basketball or especially football.

And yet in movies, football and basketball are comedies or half-assed feel-good underdog movies, and hockey is always about goons (the violent troublemakers and brawlers) or the same lovely underdog movie.

Baseball, though, churns out both of those types of movie, but also is unique in making these Oscar-bait powerful films with big names and great scripts.

It's all so cloaked in myth and history (it has ties to both world wars and the civil rights movement) and all the great and bad moments of US history that it already has a built-in free drama pass before the writer of the movie even kills off the first character or gives someone a drug habit.

There's just something about the history of baseball. It's like the dramatic film version of a crappy student who's a legacy at Harvard. It's already heavy with emotion and up for Oscars because it's America and history and mom's apple pie and America.

And once I can figure out baseball movies, I'll possibly be able to understand why Hollywood has such a raging boner for boxing movies.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Meanwhile, it's soul-crushingly boring to watch and just about anyone (American) would rather watch hockey or basketball or especially football.

This is pretty rich considering the state of hockey in the US

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Baseball and hockey are both dying sports, but, I bet the average joe would still rather watch a hockey game (where a fight could break out*) than baseball.

*I'm 100% convinced the only reason NASCAR is as unfathomably popular as it is is because of the potential of seeing a wreck. We, as a people, love seeing poo poo go wrong.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I can see baseball being the "American past time " just because there is so much history in built there. Plus it is a more gentler sport than American football so the players in the movies seem more likable (unless it's a movie about Ty Cobb) and like was said before, there is a lot of history and nostalgia involved (part of the reason a movie like the Sandlot is so popular-and good).
In Canada we have our movies about hockey (check out The Rocket, it's really good) but nothing even remotely approaching American movie's romanticism of Baseball.
I still wish a good cricket movie would be made. The only thing that comes close is Bodyline and that is more about jerks being jerks to jerks on the cricket field than anything else.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
This is really good

I hope one day they make a Roberto Clemente biopic seriously that guy's life and death was really compelling

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 8, 2013

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

General Bort posted:

Did your boss also do the trailer for The Great Gatsby or is that just some new trend?

No but that was done in the office next to his so maybe he's rubbing off on the other SVPs in the office. The funny part is the president of marketing is a 60 year-old woman who despises hip hop in every incarnation.

And once I can figure out baseball movies, I'll possibly be able to understand why Hollywood has such a raging boner for boxing movies.

This can be easily figured out when you realize that nobody actually goes to baseball movies. Check the top grossing sports pics (and pay attention to boxing)...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=sportsdrama.htm

quote:

1 The Blind Side WB $255,959,475 3,407 $34,119,372 3,110 11/20/09
2 Rocky IV UA $127,873,716 2,254 $19,991,537 1,325 11/27/85
3 Rocky III UA $125,049,125 1,317 $12,431,486 939 5/28/82
4 Seabiscuit Uni. $120,277,854 2,573 $20,854,735 1,989 7/25/03
5 Rocky UA $117,235,147 - n/a - 11/21/76
6 Remember the Titans BV $115,654,751 2,803 $20,905,831 1,865 9/29/00
7 Million Dollar Baby WB $100,492,203 2,375 $179,953 8 12/15/04
8 The Fighter Par. $93,617,009 2,534 $300,010 4 12/10/10
9 Real Steel BV $85,468,508 3,440 $27,319,677 3,440 10/7/11
10 Rocky II UA $85,182,160 - $6,390,537 780 6/15/79
11 Moneyball Sony $75,605,492 3,018 $19,501,302 2,993 9/23/11
12 The Rookie BV $75,600,072 2,543 $16,021,684 2,511 3/29/02
13 Any Given Sunday WB $75,530,832 2,505 $13,584,625 2,505 12/22/99
14 Rocky Balboa MGM $70,270,943 3,019 $12,158,168 3,017 12/20/06
15 Coach Carter Par. $67,264,877 2,574 $24,182,961 2,524 1/14/05
16 Field of Dreams Uni. $64,431,625 1,100 $531,346 22 4/21/89
17 Miracle BV $64,378,093 2,755 $19,377,577 2,605 2/6/04

kiimo fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 8, 2013

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Baseball movies don't get any better than Major League.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Madkal posted:

I can see baseball being the "American past time " just because there is so much history in built there. Plus it is a more gentler sport than American football so the players in the movies seem more likable (unless it's a movie about Ty Cobb) and like was said before, there is a lot of history and nostalgia involved (part of the reason a movie like the Sandlot is so popular-and good).
In Canada we have our movies about hockey (check out The Rocket, it's really good) but nothing even remotely approaching American movie's romanticism of Baseball.
I still wish a good cricket movie would be made. The only thing that comes close is Bodyline and that is more about jerks being jerks to jerks on the cricket field than anything else.

Have you seen Fire In Babylon?

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Wow, I had seen the trailer for '42' a few times now, but I had no idea at all that Harrison Ford was in it until I saw his name on the poster. I had to re-watch the trailer a couple of times just now just to make sure that was him. He's almost unrecognizable, I thought that was Albert Finney or somebody.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Eh! Frank posted:

Wow, I had seen the trailer for '42' a few times now, but I had no idea at all that Harrison Ford was in it until I saw his name on the poster. I had to re-watch the trailer a couple of times just now just to make sure that was him. He's almost unrecognizable, I thought that was Albert Finney or somebody.

With Nick Nolte's voice.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

kiimo posted:

No but that was done in the office next to his so maybe he's rubbing off on the other SVPs in the office. The funny part is the president of marketing is a 60 year-old woman who despises hip hop in every incarnation.

This can be easily figured out when you realize that nobody actually goes to baseball movies. Check the top grossing sports pics (and pay attention to boxing)...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=sportsdrama.htm

Real Steel is my favourite sports movie right after Rollerball.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
That list is missing the best sports film, Space Jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

That list is missing the best sports film, Space Jam.
C'mon, Michael! It's game time! Get your Hanes on, lace up your Nikes, grab your Wheaties and your Gatorade, and we'll pick up a Big Mac on the way to the ballpark.