Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Louisgod posted:

Swap out "more busy" with "more lucrative" then. Point is that every year, there's a January - March lull that's historically known to have subdued sales, so I wouldn't have been surprised if Rayman did horribly. At least with the delay they can released it across all platforms AND without having to discount it off the bat due to it already being on a console. Regardless of sales potential they have more to gain by the delay, hence why it's a solid business decision.

Again, see my post above - I just don't buy that September is a good timeframe for release of this, regardless of the status of the Wii U version. (Feb/March might not have been either - this might be one of the most overcrowded quarters in the history of the gaming industry.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I remember a years ago I heard in college that around 40%-60% of most retail sales for the year hover around a 3-4 day period centered around a period known as Super Black Friday the hellstorm. Much like Memorial day for blockbuster garbage films Black Friday helps the sales of pretty much anything released in time for it.

There is exceptions. But newness is a factor and arguments like Nintendo has a under powered system are dull. I think its silly that Origins wasn't soft launched on schedule then relaunched with an AD campaign for fall. Oh well Ubi's loss. I'm still stunned how well thought out Zombiu is due to its thematic changes and launch window. To bad the Raymans fanbase has dwindled. That demo is very slick.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah that's what I'm doing. I want a Nintendo console for the Nintendo games that will only ever appear on it. The rest I'll take where ever they're the best.

I already have a Wii U, but I imagine this is a common attitude. I really don't get people who wish Nintendo just did the same thing as Sony and Microsoft when it comes to system focus. Three consoles on the market that all attempt to do practically the same thing doesn't strike me as particularly desirable or overall feasible. If you have three systems, someone has got to be trying something different.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So Fist of the North Star 2 Ken's Rage does this have local Coop? I see only online listed on the website but the Wii U could be different in this way. Would love to laugh my rear end off playing this with a few friends over.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Junkie Disease posted:

So Fist of the North Star 2 Ken's Rage does this have local Coop? I see only online listed on the website but the Wii U could be different in this way. Would love to laugh my rear end off playing this with a few friends over.

Whenever I pick a character in Dream Mode I see a "PLAYER 2 PRESS START" thing on the character select so I assume it has local co-op. But you have to unlock most of the characters by playing the story mode.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Whenever I pick a character in Dream Mode I see a "PLAYER 2 PRESS START" thing on the character select so I assume it has local co-op. But you have to unlock most of the characters by playing the story mode.

So they might have it. Oh man oh man you made my sinus infected day! Time for more sleuthing.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Ziddar posted:

I already have a Wii U, but I imagine this is a common attitude. I really don't get people who wish Nintendo just did the same thing as Sony and Microsoft when it comes to system focus. Three consoles on the market that all attempt to do practically the same thing doesn't strike me as particularly desirable or overall feasible. If you have three systems, someone has got to be trying something different.

I think people would prefer three systems all doing the same thing (BIGGER, FASTER, STRONGER) so in that case if two close and one stands tall as the only viable choice of gaming, it's still trying to be next gen at all times. If Halo and Uncharted have to be released on the Gimmicky Kids Toy? Oh no!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I think people would prefer three systems all doing the same thing (BIGGER, FASTER, STRONGER) so in that case if two close and one stands tall as the only viable choice of gaming, it's still trying to be next gen at all times. If Halo and Uncharted have to be released on the Gimmicky Kids Toy? Oh no!

My biggest bummer of a system choice was getting a 360 or a ps3 (already had a wii and a decent PC), their sameness was a deterrent to my purchase not a boon. With steambox hitting the same time as the two new systems Wii U will ether stand out or look like an odd duck. A dynamite release schedule for fall will be the defining factor.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So like, is Nintendo gonna update their crappy in-store demo units now or what?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Junkie Disease posted:

My biggest bummer of a system choice was getting a 360 or a ps3 (already had a wii and a decent PC), their sameness was a deterrent to my purchase not a boon. With steambox hitting the same time as the two new systems Wii U will ether stand out or look like an odd duck. A dynamite release schedule for fall will be the defining factor.

I think Nintendo will stand out because it is the odd duck. If a good affordable steambox appears that will let me skip the ps4/720 I will gladly go that direction. I will still be happy to have my WiiU.

Its a unique experience to the other too. Plus you can't predict the console market and end up with the 'wrong' console that generation. As in, I wonder if I missed out on a bunch by getting a ps3 over a 350 last gen, but I never wonder if I should have gotten the Wii.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

I swear I see this brought up as a straw man argument far more often than I ever see someone say it in earnest. But maybe that's just because of what parts of the internet I use?

Cuboidal 64
Sep 29, 2010

Green dick is better than blue dick
Looks like the developers themselves aren't exactly pleased either.

quote:

I completely understand you but you have to understand one thing. This is not a decission taken by the development team, this comes from really really high up, so please don't pick on the game.

If you're pissed, imagine how we feel. Think on the situation, we've been making overtime with this game practically since May preparing E3, and then almost a demo per month (gamescon, Wii U presentation, shops, eShop, etc...) and at the same time trying to actually finish the game. We had a first delay because it was obvious we couldn't finish on time but we gave it all to be there on February. What face do you think we had when the week we had to close the game we're being told it's not going to be released? I couldn't believe it.

For practical matters, you'll have to wait for some months for the game to be released and will most likely serve for more content to be added and do it better. For us, this means we've spent 6 months barely seeing our wifes, kids, and friends for nothing because, after all, such a haste wasn't needed. Believe it, it was a hell to swallow these news.

Even then I'm firm in what I said back in the day, Rayman Legends is an excellent game and will still be, and the team that's making it doesn't deserve to have your back turned on them just because some men in ties one day took a wrong choice. This industry is really that lovely

Having to go through crunch and then be told, nah you've got seven more months, back to work! has got to be demoralizing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This probably a silly question, and I realise this is Ubisoft we're dealing with, but what's stopping them from releasing the WiiU version now (seeing as it's probably nearly complete) and then releasing the 360/Ps3 version in September?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Not much reason not too other then if they are adding more features now they would ether have to patch them in (more work) for the wii U for when the other systems get it. Or have the systems have different versions.
Fall sales are a good time to have the word "new" attached to it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This probably a silly question, and I realise this is Ubisoft we're dealing with, but what's stopping them from releasing the WiiU version now (seeing as it's probably nearly complete) and then releasing the 360/Ps3 version in September?

Money. First you would have to market the same game twice. Then in September, the versions that release are the ones that Ubisoft is counting on to make them money while the first version is already sitting on shelves at $20. Despite people not owning a Wii U, consumers look at that version for the system they own, then the Wii U version that's at $20, and they can't bring themselves to shell out $50-60 for their version.

And then there's fiscal reports. If you wait, you'll have more Wii U owners who will have gotten over being hosed in February and buy your game anyway right alongside the other markets buying your game pushing your holiday quarterly sales up even further.

They're doing this because their pencil pushers have said they'll make more money doing it this way. And I would imagine those people have way more experience and education in sales than the average person on the internet who's super pissed they won't be playing the new Rayman in three weeks.

e: clarity.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It's like people don't realize the weakest console won the last two generations :v:

The Dreamcast did not win.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cliff Racer posted:

The Dreamcast did not win.

He said weakest console, not best.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Soul Glo posted:

They're doing this because their pencil pushers have said they'll make more money doing it this way. And I would imagine those people have way more experience and education in sales than the average person on the internet who's super pissed they won't be playing the new Rayman in three weeks.

Are these the same people that sent the first game out to die?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Are these the same people that sent the first game out to die?

I don't know, I don't work at Ubisoft. Please, look into your crystal ball to our future where Rayman Legends fails, then travel to Parallel Earth where it released in February on a platform that moved about 65% of its projected numbers but was a screaming success anyway and tell everybody how wrong they are while smiling smugly.

Edit: Also, I like how people are saying the first game "died" when released in November. It rated highly on Metacritic, turned a profit and convinced the company to convert it into a series. How is that dying?

Is any game that doesn't outsell Call of Duty and Skyrim DOA?

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 8, 2013

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Soul Glo posted:

Is any game that doesn't outsell Call of Duty and Skyrim DOA?

Obviously, just like any console that doesn't outsell the Wii is a flop. Who asks these kinds of questions?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Soul Glo posted:

I don't know, I don't work at Ubisoft. Please, look into your crystal ball to our future where Rayman Legends fails, then travel to Parallel Earth where it released in February on a platform that moved about 65% of its projected numbers but was a screaming success anyway and tell everybody how wrong they are while smiling smugly.

Where did I say they should or shouldn't be pushing the game back?

I'm not arguing that they aren't in a better position to make a more sensible choice than Armchair Internet Dork #5747674, I'm saying that they've made similar delays for similar reasons in the past, including for the first Rayman game, and they didn't really pay off.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Chronojam posted:

Obviously, just like any console that doesn't outsell the Wii is a flop. Who asks these kinds of questions?

That wasn't a serious question. Did you read the sentence before that that you cropped out of the quote? I'm saying that Rayman Origins was a success in every sense: critically acclaimed, turned a profit and revitalized a 2D platforming series. All this while up against Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim and Saints Row 3, yet people are complaining that Legends will fail in September against GTA5 because Origins did in November against those games, when it actually didn't fail at all.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Origins was a weird situation where it was released against a shitload of competition, including Assassin's Creed: Revelations, which Ubisoft marketed the hell out of but not Origins. It had a lovely first month (I believe it sold about 50,000 copies in its first month) and everybody expected Ubisoft to just kill the franchise right there, since a lot of publishers really care about the first month performance of a game. Then all of a sudden it started selling after a price drop and over the course of several months it started turning a profit.

I dunno, maybe Ubisoft is expecting the exact same thing to happen with Legends.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"Turned a profit" is corporate spin for "underperformed", and citing the fact that it made back its development costs isn't really much of an achievement given that they spent most of the pre-release talking about how their new tech made it easy to make that sort of game for a relatively small amount of money and with less personnel than an average game.

When the game was released the general reaction was "why isn't this a download game? why should I pay full price for this?" and even in the face of near-unanimous praise they had to slash the price by two thirds within the first couple weeks just to get people to give it a chance.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"Turned a profit" is corporate spin for "underperformed", and citing the fact that it made back its development costs isn't really much of an achievement given that they spent most of the pre-release talking about how their new tech made it easy to make that sort of game for a relatively small amount of money and with less personnel than an average game.

When the game was released the general reaction was "why isn't this a download game? why should I pay full price for this?" and even in the face of near-unanimous praise they had to slash the price by two thirds within the first couple weeks just to get people to give it a chance.

Because if it's 2D and it isn't Mario it's clearly a lovely indie game that's only worth 7 bucks.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Hey guys, I'm here to be the thread's negative Nancy again.

Last week's sales numbers from Japan are out, and they are preeettttyyy dire. Like, hardware sales are slightly better than the Vita and barely above/barely bellow the PSP depending on which source you trust most. Also the top Wii U game barely broke into the top 20 (NSMB at 19th, with ~6000 units sold). Apparently it's been like this for a few weeks now.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511934

I thought Japan was the region where the U was doing the best, but sales have crashed incredibly hard after the initial rush. This gap in the release schedule has been absolutely brutal, apparently.

This has been your regularly scheduled doom and gloom report. Please continue with your Rayman chat.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

But they have Monster Hunter. :psyduck: There's no such thing as a "gap" when you have monster hunter.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

But they have Monster Hunter. :psyduck: There's no such thing as a "gap" when you have monster hunter.

I guess everyone that wanted Monster Hunter already bought it, because the Wii U version isn't even on the top 30 software list.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Soul Glo posted:

That wasn't a serious question. Did you read the sentence before that that you cropped out of the quote? I'm saying that Rayman Origins was a success in every sense: critically acclaimed, turned a profit and revitalized a 2D platforming series. All this while up against Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim and Saints Row 3, yet people are complaining that Legends will fail in September against GTA5 because Origins did in November against those games, when it actually didn't fail at all.

:ssh: That wasn't a serious response, and the rhetorical question at the end was only faux-mocking you for being suprised.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Crowbear posted:

I guess everyone that wanted Monster Hunter already bought it, because the Wii U version isn't even on the top 30 software list.

Yeah, it was already released twice before in Japan, and Monster Hunter generally does better on handhelds over there to start with.

I wouldn't say the sales are dire. Compare it to the PS3 which 1) has lower lifetime sales than the 3DS and 2) sold less than 20% of what the 3DS did that same week. Console sales in Japan just aren't what they used to be.

The delay of Rayman would be a good excuse for Nintendo to move something forward to generate interest, though I don't expect them to.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If Nintendo even had something to move forward you can bet your rear end that they'd have already done it. Anyways, I feel a bit bad for Rayman fans and the Rayman team but ultimately suspect that Nintendo wasn't willing to pay for timed exclusivity which is a shame since, the 360/PS3 versions not even being made yet, consumers would have been the beneficiaries across the board then.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Chronojam posted:

:ssh: That wasn't a serious response, and the rhetorical question at the end was only faux-mocking you for being suprised.

Whoops. It has been a long day, and I will fight people who insinuate Rayman Origins was a failure :argh:.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Bobnumerotres posted:

MH3 Ultimate was part of a system bundle in Japan, I doubt too many people bought the basic/premium set and then MH3 later when you could get the 32GB system + a pro controller and MH3 for an extra 7000 yen.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Speaking of which, have they said anything about a bundle for the NA release? Because I would buy the poo poo out of a Monster Hunter bundle. Especially if it was the same as that Japanese one.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

The Uplay software section on Wii U's Miiverse is a wonderful romp of multilingual anger and insane doodles.
"Don't feed the trolls! Stop Ubistop!" is how I'll call my dog to me from now on.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cliff Racer posted:

If Nintendo even had something to move forward you can bet your rear end that they'd have already done it. Anyways, I feel a bit bad for Rayman fans and the Rayman team but ultimately suspect that Nintendo wasn't willing to pay for timed exclusivity which is a shame since, the 360/PS3 versions not even being made yet, consumers would have been the beneficiaries across the board then.

Isn't Nintendo supposed to be publishing Rayman in Japan? The Castlevania 3DS devs came out and said that they've got the 3DS game running in HD but there's some degree of Nintendo exclusivity thanks to the publishing/distribution arrangement they have with NOE, but I guess Japan is a whole other story, as per usual.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm one of those people who are game starved for the Wii U at this point and was going to buy Rayman without question. I'm not going to argue if it is a good or bad decision, but pushing it back to September means I'll probably never play it now.

Now i'm sitting here trying to convince myself not to buy this fists of the north star game :argh:. If I can just hold out until Monster Hunter all will be well.

Edit: And I just now thought about it for the first time, but I can't wait for all the awesome drawings in the Monster Hunter Miiverse.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 8, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Crowbear posted:

Hey guys, I'm here to be the thread's negative Nancy again.

Last week's sales numbers from Japan are out, and they are preeettttyyy dire. Like, hardware sales are slightly better than the Vita and barely above/barely bellow the PSP depending on which source you trust most. Also the top Wii U game barely broke into the top 20 (NSMB at 19th, with ~6000 units sold). Apparently it's been like this for a few weeks now.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511934

I thought Japan was the region where the U was doing the best, but sales have crashed incredibly hard after the initial rush. This gap in the release schedule has been absolutely brutal, apparently.

This has been your regularly scheduled doom and gloom report. Please continue with your Rayman chat.

Clearly, Nintendo is doomed because they're not selling Wii Us in February with absolutely no major releases in the past month.

Never mind the money they're making hand over fist off of Animal Crossing.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

deadwing posted:

Clearly, Nintendo is doomed because they're not selling Wii Us in February with absolutely no major releases in the past month.

Never mind the money they're making hand over fist off of Animal Crossing.

I... I didn't say they were doomed. Or that they weren't making money off the 3DS. Or... have I? Have I been sleep posting? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Crowbear posted:

I... I didn't say they were doomed. Or that they weren't making money off the 3DS. Or... have I? Have I been sleep posting? :ohdear:

Well, of course sales are going to be poo poo, there's nothing to drive sales. Nintendo acknowledged that with the big Nintendo Direct. There's no reason to worry about "dire sales" right now.

• Locked thread