Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

brozozo posted:

How is your progress to realm divide calculated? Obviously, capturing provinces are a major factor, but do things like number of troops, level of technology, or heroic victories contribute to it as well?

Just Heroic Victories. If you get a statue on the world map, you messed up, because it gives you fame.

Besides provinces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Zyla posted:

Just Heroic Victories. If you get a statue on the world map, you messed up, because it gives you fame.

Besides provinces.

It's important to note that you need to win 3 of them before you reduce the number of provinces you can take by 1, so it's pretty hard to be more than 1 province behind the pace (but that means you were doing really well so...).

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

PlushCow posted:

Also a question: In Rome:TW at least, as I think it was in Medieval II, is the only way to heal up/retrain my units is in cities? I can understand that but that can be a real drag too and take too long; I guess that's another reason why mercenaries are so useful :(

Technically, there is another way - train up a unit in the city, move it out to the front, merge it into the depleted unit. You'll lose some experience, but them's the breaks.

But yeah, retraining after Medieval 2 is just better all around.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

brozozo posted:

How is your progress to realm divide calculated? Obviously, capturing provinces are a major factor, but do things like number of troops, level of technology, or heroic victories contribute to it as well?

Also if you moderate your expansion and take provinces slower you can get away with taking more provinces before it hits. Also learned the hard way that vassals taking provinces can trigger it. Made the mistake of giving military access for koku to my vassalized Takeda who I had boxed in when I was right on the edge of realm divide in legendary mode. They actually marched through my territory and took a town that didn't border them which I haven't seen a vassal do before or since. It's like they knew they'd be screwing me over.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Siets posted:

How do I "win" campaigns in these games? I can often do well in the early years establishing a foothold and growing economically, but I feel like the AI is just a loving bastard in the mid-game. They just spam. Those. loving. Half-size. Armies. Then they run them all over the place, pointlessly assault cities that have little value, and it takes hours upon hours of grinding out incremental advantages before I can stage a winning assault on their capital. This is all just to take out one faction! Then I get to do it three times over again, sometimes having to recover from some backstabbing seemingly best-friends-forever ally who randomly fucks me.

I love the battles in this game, but gently caress if the campaigns aren't gigantic missed opportunities to be something great. Is there something I am missing? What does it take to mount a swift and effective offense in the midgame that actually gets you results? What are peoples' general approach? I'm at a loss right now.

(For reference, I'm referring to Medieval 2 but have encountered this same game design problem in Rome 1. "Total War never changes.")

This might be obvious, but don't over-defend your front. Garrison your border cities with enough troops to hold off attacking armies, then take a couple of armies and sail them to the other side of your enemy's territory. Take over a couple of poorly defended territories, train some troops, hire some mercs, and start pushing further into enemy territory. Now you're making them fight you on two fronts. They'll usually stay over-committed to the first front, leaving you little opposition on the other one. Of course, the more armies you can set loose on the undefended front to start with, the better off you'll be, and the less time they'll have to train defenders in their interior cities.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
A lot of people in this thread have complained that Darthmod and Radious mod, although shiny and full of cool poo poo, changes the tactical battles into unbearable slogs. I agreed, and tried seeing if I could revert the combat changes while leaving the campaign changes intact.

It turns out that you can, at least with darthmod. Open darthmod_shogun.pack with PackFileManager, open the "db" folder, and delete all of the files related to tactical combat. kv_morale, units_table, battle_entities, and so on. I just tested it and it worked like a charm.

And sorry if this is obvious or known already; I'm pretty inept, so figuring out how to delete spreadsheets without making Shogun 2 crash on startup felt like hacking the Gibson.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I just bought Shogun Total War 2 on steam on a whim because I had nothing to do for a couple of days. Are there any mods I need/should get?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Affi posted:

I just bought Shogun Total War 2 on steam on a whim because I had nothing to do for a couple of days. Are there any mods I need/should get?

Play without mods at first, find a feel for the game. It's far easier to get into than other "Total War" games but still a bit confusing if you're completely dense (like myself).

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

LP97S posted:

Play without mods at first, find a feel for the game. It's far easier to get into than other "Total War" games but still a bit confusing if you're completely dense (like myself).

Most TW games required Mods to be playable at all, so this isn't the case here? (Empire made me so mad)

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

LP97S posted:

Aye, apart from Realm Divide there's nothing really wrong with vanilla Shogun 2, just niggles and a somewhat boring naval combat system. It's also the most open Total War game about what stuff actually does, as you can see a unit's full stats at any time, tooltips for buildings, techs and abilities tell you exactly what they do, and it's rare that you have no clue why something happened (not that you won't get a few WTF moments from time to time).

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I really couldn't enjoy Shogun 2's campaign but I loved the multiplayer, the dumb unit veterancy and item bonuses make it tough to get back into though especially when you're going up against dlc stuff. People go crazy for that crap though so I bet it's going to come back in Rome 2.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

This might be obvious, but don't over-defend your front. Garrison your border cities with enough troops to hold off attacking armies, then take a couple of armies and sail them to the other side of your enemy's territory. Take over a couple of poorly defended territories, train some troops, hire some mercs, and start pushing further into enemy territory. Now you're making them fight you on two fronts. They'll usually stay over-committed to the first front, leaving you little opposition on the other one. Of course, the more armies you can set loose on the undefended front to start with, the better off you'll be, and the less time they'll have to train defenders in their interior cities.

Thanks for this! I'm definitely not the greatest tactician. I've always been the guy that just massed protoss carriers in Starcraft 1 (but really, who didn't? :allears:)Going to give this a go tonight and try to get back into my campaign that I just left hanging months ago.

Do you make much use of spies or merchants and all of that? I was employing them just to watch for advancing armies' movements, since they never really are able to kill royal family members or high class generals. Just want to use all of the tools available to me correctly but I'm not quite sure how.

It's so weird with Total War. I have been wanting to play but also dreading going back to my campaign at the same time. I think it is definitely a lack of game knowledge, but with Total War it is much harder to motivate yourself to starting over fresh so you can trial-and-error yourself through the learning curve. You very much reap what you sow over the course of several hours of play, and it isn't very obvious to me where I might have messed up.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Siets posted:

Do you make much use of spies or merchants and all of that? I was employing them just to watch for advancing armies' movements, since they never really are able to kill royal family members or high class generals. Just want to use all of the tools available to me correctly but I'm not quite sure how.

Once you get the hang of merchants, they're definitely worth it. One 10-dot merchant sitting on a silk resource in Constantinople can easily pull in the taxes of an entire city, without needing to pay for the pesky defenses. The key thing is to train them up as much as you can (use them to occupy every instance of a particular resource in a nearby foreign province for starters, and snaffle up any passing low-ranked merchants you can), and then pack like four to five of them on a boat and drop them off near either Constantinople or Egypt - both have valuable resources that pull in mad cash. That's assuming you're not playing the Byzantines or the Egyptians, though - if you are, North Italy or the Low Counties are probably your best bet. If you play near Iberia, you can send an expeditionary force waaaay down south into the desert to conquer Timbuktu and gain access to a lot of distant, valuable resources which will never get contested.

For Catholics, priests are also good and require (slightly) less micromanagement. Get like six or seven priests, stick 'em on a boat, and send them out on a grand tour across the Holy Land to convert the Muslims. Keep them in any one province just long enough until the Muslims get enough priests in to counter your effects, and then move on. The bonuses you get from rapidly converting provinces should give your priests boatloads of piety, and with enough roving priest circuses you can basically pack the Curia with your candidates, making concerns about the Pope an academic question.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Affi posted:

Most TW games required Mods to be playable at all, so this isn't the case here? (Empire made me so mad)

According to Steam I've just put in 35 hours into Shogun 2 in the past couple weeks, and non-modded it's been a good experience so far.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got Medieval lusting and reinstalled the game plus Stainless Steel. Any faction recommendations? I'm thinking of forming an early Hapsburg empire with Castille or maybe the Roman Empire with an Italian faction. Any fun suggestions?

Siets posted:

I've been a real shitposter about this topic because i tend to spill the beans about how to exploit missionaries and merchants so i'll apologize in advance to the folks who don't like it.

If you want to earn silly bucks with merchants do the following:

Find a good resource, preferably in a controlled region (either your own or owned by a weak faction).

Send an armed contingent to it.

Built a fort on top of it.

Guard it with militias.

Send all your merchants over to the fort. They'll all exploit the resource, win merchant points that make them become stronger and they'll be invulnerable to competitors because of your military presence over the resource.

I call it the Reagan doctrine.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Is there any release date for Rome 2 announced?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

NoneSuch posted:

I really couldn't enjoy Shogun 2's campaign but I loved the multiplayer, the dumb unit veterancy and item bonuses make it tough to get back into though especially when you're going up against dlc stuff. People go crazy for that crap though so I bet it's going to come back in Rome 2.

You should really get the DLC, the unit ones in particular are worth the 2 bucks when they're on sale. The Saints and Heroes units each have an army type that they play well with, and the Sengoku Jidai units are powerful enough that you can slot into pretty much any army. Especially Mounted Gunners, sweet jesus I love those things. They're like Donderbuss Cavalry but with range.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The Tokugawa special unit? Didn't they end up shooting each other in the back unless placed in a straight line?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

The Tokugawa special unit? Didn't they end up shooting each other in the back unless placed in a straight line?

They are the Tokugawa special unit, but I've never seen them shoot each other. Must have been a bug they've fixed, because I use them all the time in multiplayer. Run up to a formation, shoot a volley, gallop away, reload, repeat...

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Mans posted:

I got Medieval lusting and reinstalled the game plus Stainless Steel. Any faction recommendations? I'm thinking of forming an early Hapsburg empire with Castille or maybe the Roman Empire with an Italian faction. Any fun suggestions?

Crusader States.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Zyla posted:

Is there any release date for Rome 2 announced?

Most concrete I've heard is mid-late 2013. Wikipedia says October.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yeah, my other question. How the hell do you reduce squalor? :confused:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Siets posted:

Squalor is directly related to your population size. The best thing you can do is just build your public health buildings: baths, aqueducts, etc.

Edit: A good governor can reduce or counter squalor as well, I think.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

Squalor is directly related to your population size. The best thing you can do is just build your public health buildings: baths, aqueducts, etc.

Edit: A good governor can reduce or counter squalor as well, I think.

Relatedly - do NOT leave high-chivalry generals in charge of your largest cities. Sure, it's awesome for a time that the place is growing like mad and you can raise taxes sky-high without the people complaining, but the moment Mr. Awesome dies you have a massively over-populated city boiling mad about squalor and taxes and such. High-chivalry generals should be sent to develop small settlements to the point where they can usefully contribute to the empire.

Also: I'm not ENTIRELY sure, but I think law+ buildings like the town watch or city hall help reduce squalor as well. Or, rather, they prevent it from developing - once squalor has set in I'm not sure what to do to remove it from the city. In general focus on getting baths, aqueducts, churches, city halls and such set up the moment you upgrade the walls, and never leave a city short of its maximum walls for long.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Tomn posted:

Also: I'm not ENTIRELY sure, but I think law+ buildings like the town watch or city hall help reduce squalor as well. Or, rather, they prevent it from developing - once squalor has set in I'm not sure what to do to remove it from the city. In general focus on getting baths, aqueducts, churches, city halls and such set up the moment you upgrade the walls, and never leave a city short of its maximum walls for long.

That's in MTWII, in Rome, the Palaces are the ones you need to keep on pace with the population as it comes up. I think they changes it because the AI had a tendency to guard its super awesome best cities with piddling wooden walls.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Nah, they had a bug where they started off with their guns unloaded, so you'd ride them up and they'd just sit there reloading and then they'd get shot to poo poo. Very annoying.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
A general S2 question:

Is it meant to be possible for vassals to declare war on you? I know it happens inevitably after realm divide, but these were vassals I created after it started. What happened was, one of my vassals (the only one I had created before RD) declared war on me, as I expected. In that same turn, every other faction declared war on me, including the four or five new clans I had just created. Is this a scripted event, or did the one vassal just set off a chain reaction? (due to the diplomacy hit)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Krazyface posted:

A general S2 question:

Is it meant to be possible for vassals to declare war on you? I know it happens inevitably after realm divide, but these were vassals I created after it started. What happened was, one of my vassals (the only one I had created before RD) declared war on me, as I expected. In that same turn, every other faction declared war on me, including the four or five new clans I had just created. Is this a scripted event, or did the one vassal just set off a chain reaction? (due to the diplomacy hit)

Yeah, had the same thing happen to me. I restored your clan to existance and this is how you repay me, you traitorous swine. :argh: Also, the second biggest clan in Japan didn't declare war against me during Realm Divide. :downs: I thought EVERYONE would attack you, but it was actually rather fun.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Realm divide just gives a large initial hit to diplomacy that increases over time. If you're willing to bribe them a bit you can keep one or two allied clans with you for a surprising amount of time. As to the vassals declaring war on you I think it might very well be because of the negative penalty for your territorial expansion- it can stack up pretty fast if you take 1-2 provinces a turn for multiple turns as can frequently happen after crushing some AI doomstacks in the post Realm Divide world. Vassals start out favorably inclined to you but not that favorably inclined (they get a big negative "past grievances" modifier) so if you're weak locally and stack up enough negative diplomacy modifiers they will turn on you.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Siets posted:

You take out the garrison, raise taxes to high, let the city rebel,then you attack and exterminate the city.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
For some rear end-backwards reason, certain clans retain their "Past grievances" modifier even though you just freed them and gave them back their land.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Well the 5th Rome faction are the Averni (Gauls) which I definitely expected. So only three more to go now and one of those has to be Egypt. As it goes on though I'm increasingly thinking that we won't get the Selucids as a starter, because they aren't so well known and are a power in decline at the start of the game.

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
It's good that they're giving the barbarians the EB treatment and not making them just a bunch of shirtless dudes with flannel pants and swords.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Not too much there but for anyone interested: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Arverni_Faction

Any word on how the multiplayer will work? I feel like the mediterranean is even better suited for an avatar campaign but no idea on how they'll make it work. I just want to be able to make an army of nothing but carthaginian elephants and iceni chariots, maybe with some naked fanatics thrown in for good measure.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I really love how the Gaul warriors look there, I have a gut feeling this time around playing the Celts will be a lot more fun.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Trujillo posted:

Not too much there but for anyone interested: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Arverni_Faction

Any word on how the multiplayer will work? I feel like the mediterranean is even better suited for an avatar campaign but no idea on how they'll make it work. I just want to be able to make an army of nothing but carthaginian elephants and iceni chariots, maybe with some naked fanatics thrown in for good measure.

It will hopefully work like every TW multiplayer before Shogun 2, you pick a nation and then have X many $ to buy units. If they want to leave in xp and special powers and that poo poo just make people pay for it in the unit cost.

Leveling up your army and having your units limited by the stupid avatar had no purpose besides adding a grind to multiplayer. But considering how every faction had the exact same units in multi I can see why they needed to add something. With actual unique factions they better dump the loving 'grind for retainers' garbage.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Tywin posted:

You take out the garrison, raise taxes to high, let the city rebel,then you attack and exterminate the city.

I suppose this is one way to do it. :stare:

Took five priests on a journey to the far west of Egypt last night and started a religious movement. So far I've almost completely converted the first province out there. What does this actually do for me though? Just generate a lot of religious unrest in the cities?

Then of course, as I'm bogged down with my main armies in Egypt, I get notice that the mongolian horde is showing up! :rolleyes: This game man, this loving game. It's like it doesn't want me to play.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Well the 5th Rome faction are the Averni (Gauls) which I definitely expected. So only three more to go now and one of those has to be Egypt. As it goes on though I'm increasingly thinking that we won't get the Selucids as a starter, because they aren't so well known and are a power in decline at the start of the game.

On the other hand, "established empire that is now dwindling" is always a classic in 4X games and presents an interesting gameplay challenge.

I hope they get rid of the broken-rear end retarded unlock stuff from Shogun 2, though.

e; so that's what, Arverni, Iceni, Macedon Rome and Carthage announced? Did I miss any?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 8, 2013

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm also afraid that either the Selucids and the Scythians won't be in the game, since I am quite sure that the remaining factions will be a German faction, Egypt and Parthia.

Siets posted:

I suppose this is one way to do it. :stare:

Took five priests on a journey to the far west of Egypt last night and started a religious movement. So far I've almost completely converted the first province out there. What does this actually do for me though? Just generate a lot of religious unrest in the cities?

Then of course, as I'm bogged down with my main armies in Egypt, I get notice that the mongolian horde is showing up! :rolleyes: This game man, this loving game. It's like it doesn't want me to play.
Well massacring your population was pretty much what you had to do in the first Rome when your cities were to overpopulated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Captain Beans posted:

It will hopefully work like every TW multiplayer before Shogun 2, you pick a nation and then have X many $ to buy units. If they want to leave in xp and special powers and that poo poo just make people pay for it in the unit cost.

Leveling up your army and having your units limited by the stupid avatar had no purpose besides adding a grind to multiplayer. But considering how every faction had the exact same units in multi I can see why they needed to add something. With actual unique factions they better dump the loving 'grind for retainers' garbage.

If they held on to having a purely aesthetic avatar you could dress up with cooler stuff as you ranked up that would be great. It'd also fit with the more character focused stuff they're going for with the singleplayer. But yeah, unlocking anything that affects gameplay should go.