Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Ashcans posted:

No, it's way dumber than that. The Dark Angels and Space Wolves were fighting together during the Great Crusade and the leader of one of the planets they were attacking called Leman Russ a bitch. So he wanted to kill him personally. Lion El'Jonson was like 'whatever man lets get this done as easily as possible', and ended up killing the guy himself. Russ got super pissed and attacked El'Jonson for disrespecting his feud, and they fought for a week to a standstill. At that point Leman Russ is like 'haha bro, glad I got that out of my system, we cool right?' but Lion El'Jonson was a super serious dude and still pissed off, so he cold-cocked Russ when his guard was down.

I thought it was post-Heresy, and the two legions were fighting side by side when the Dark Angels took off to hunt some Fallen without telling anyone, leaving the Wolves completely isolated and outflanked. I remember reading that somewhere...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Ashcans posted:

For a long time I think there was an implication that we didn't really know which side of the Dark Angels civil war was which, and there was some question so to whether the group that survived was the traitors or not - when GW introduced Cypher there were lots of hints that he was a loyalist, and was trying to work his way to Terra to expose the Dark Angels as having been traitors. I think that this has largely been swept up, and the current canon is that the surviving Chapter are the loyalists, but that no one else really knows that their homeworld had turned traitor - so they are desperate to keep that from ever being known or no one would trust them again (and possibly they'd suffer some sort of exile or something). So its imperative that they hide all trace of the treason and hunt down any possible survivors to prevent it coming to light.

I think the better money is on "total extermination by the Inquisition and their lackey chapters".

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Signal posted:

I thought it was post-Heresy, and the two legions were fighting side by side when the Dark Angels took off to hunt some Fallen without telling anyone, leaving the Wolves completely isolated and outflanked. I remember reading that somewhere...

Totally possible that they did that too, because Dark Angels are dicks. What I posted was the start of the feud, but it would make sense that they've added additional grudges over the years.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Stars of Inequity is out and really good. It has an indiana jones whip, a 10 foot pole, lots of random charts to make systems, loot, and planets. There is a new and extensive colony endeavor, and 4 really good plot hooks.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

That was a quick turn around. I turned in my part of Stars of Iniquity sometime in September or early October.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

The best fluff about whole legion strengths is in one of the Dembski-Bowden books when a Night Lord is reflecting on how they had to flee Tsagualsa. He's talking to a Red Corsair and is all "Yeah, the Ultramarines came and blew up our planet it sucked"

"How shameful for a first founding Legion to be beaten up by just a chapter, heh"

"No, you don't understand. Guilliman's sons came with his Sucessor chapters as well"

"Oh? How many?"

"All of them. The Ultramarines legion in everything but name."

And describes the sky being filled with Thunderhawks in a hundred different chapter markings and just how loving big that Legion was and that they all showed up on their door one day and kicked it in

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Karandras posted:

The best fluff about whole legion strengths is in one of the Dembski-Bowden books when a Night Lord is reflecting on how they had to flee Tsagualsa. He's talking to a Red Corsair and is all "Yeah, the Ultramarines came and blew up our planet it sucked"

"How shameful for a first founding Legion to be beaten up by just a chapter, heh"

"No, you don't understand. Guilliman's sons came with his Sucessor chapters as well"

"Oh? How many?"

"All of them. The Ultramarines legion in everything but name."

And describes the sky being filled with Thunderhawks in a hundred different chapter markings and just how loving big that Legion was and that they all showed up on their door one day and kicked it in

That makes the ultramarines actually sound rad as gently caress.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
The Ultramarines are rad as gently caress, at least for the last few years.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Manifest posted:

That makes the ultramarines actually sound rad as gently caress.

Aaron Dembski-Bowden can make just about anything in 40k rad as gently caress. I can't think of a book of his that I've been disappointed with yet.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah, The Emperor's Gift really fixes Grey Knights fluff wise and make the Space Wolves look really awesome and I've never really liked them at all. Having Logan Grimnar just being all gently caress the police for half a book.

It's a really good contrast to their codices which don't balance the being a badass bit that well and it seems over the top.

All his Night Lords stuff is amazing despite them basically losing every battle they're in it gets across what it's like to be a true traitor legionnaire 10,000 years later.

Betrayer makes Kharn and the World Eaters (Especially the last of their Librarians) really interesting characters as well.

Legion and A Thousand Sons are still probably my favourite 40k published fanfiction but the way ADB writes Marines is excellent.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

MaliciousOnion posted:

The Ultramarines are rad as gently caress, at least for the last few years.

Letting ADB & Abnett fluff up the Ultramarines was the best thing they ever did. Way better than that Uriel Ventris junk.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Scoobi posted:

Letting ADB & Abnett fluff up the Ultramarines was the best thing they ever did. Way better than that Uriel Ventris junk.

Or the fluff in the codex. Just the little bit about 'theoretical' vs. 'practical' turned them from Ultramarines to...well, Reasonable Marines, I guess?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Scoobi posted:

Stars of Inequity is out and really good. It has an indiana jones whip, a 10 foot pole, lots of random charts to make systems, loot, and planets. There is a new and extensive colony endeavor, and 4 really good plot hooks.

Yeah, I like the planet generator. I'm not sure how much I'll use the planetary encouters/plot hooks bit, and I'm just starting on the colony management section, but that can't be bad.

Linked up with the Bestry, things are going to get random fast! It looks like those two books will work really well together!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

bhsman posted:

IIRC, during the second war the Salamanders were being led by a greenhorn Chapter Master in Tu'Shan and the Ultramarines by Calgar, both of which ceded operational authority to Dante immediately.

As far as I can recall from the War on Armageddon book Calgar was definitely not on Armageddon on any point during either of the wars so you might be misremembering that part.
There were Ultramarines involved in the war but Calgar was busy elsewhere.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

That was a quick turn around. I turned in my part of Stars of Iniquity sometime in September or early October.

which part did you do? This is a really tight book if you're a DM.

Also it seems like the system generator is the same as the one in the DM's Guide, reprinted here so that all your system-planet-colony-treasure stuff is in the same place. Is that the case? Not that I'm complaining, there's a ton of great new stuff in here and the system generator is convenient. It's only $20 on drivethru right now and I'd say it's totally worth it for a GM. Not so much for a player.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, I like the planet generator. I'm not sure how much I'll use the planetary encouters/plot hooks bit, and I'm just starting on the colony management section, but that can't be bad.

Linked up with the Bestry, things are going to get random fast! It looks like those two books will work really well together!

That reminds me. There is a random monster generator in Stars of Inequity which I shant be using because I already have Koronus Bestiary (and creatures anathema, if it comes to it) but having thought about it, I really like that they're trying to make this book as useful on its own as they can. It doesnt make sense to generate some random rear end deathworld and then not be able to make monsters for it without buying another book, and I applaud FFG for not forcing that sort of interdependent crap.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Liesmith posted:

which part did you do? This is a really tight book if you're a DM.

Also it seems like the system generator is the same as the one in the DM's Guide, reprinted here so that all your system-planet-colony-treasure stuff is in the same place. Is that the case? Not that I'm complaining, there's a ton of great new stuff in here and the system generator is convenient. It's only $20 on drivethru right now and I'd say it's totally worth it for a GM. Not so much for a player.

I did the colony rules, which were really fun to do. I can't wait to see what happened to them in editing, it's always interesting to see how much stuff gets through and how much gets left on the floor, as it were.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I did the colony rules, which were really fun to do. I can't wait to see what happened to them in editing, it's always interesting to see how much stuff gets through and how much gets left on the floor, as it were.

the stuff like order and productivity and piety? That's really cool, I think it will be a lot of fun for my players to build up their colony with installations and facilities. I'm thinking of introducing the whole colony idea with Svard, the world from the GM's Handbook. Since my players have just taken that place over.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Yep, that was all me. I'm glad you like it! I'm one of the go-to guys for rules at FFG, although they recently gave me a break and are letting me do a whole chapter of fluff on my current assignment. Hell, my first assignment for FFG were the expanded Endeavour and Social Interaction rules in Into the Storm.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yep, that was all me. I'm glad you like it! I'm one of the go-to guys for rules at FFG, although they recently gave me a break and are letting me do a whole chapter of fluff on my current assignment. Hell, my first assignment for FFG were the expanded Endeavour and Social Interaction rules in Into the Storm.

Nice! I'm using those, although I'm also arranging social elements like combat with initiative and turns and stuff because I have so many players it's hard to do everything at once

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Whats going on over there? I think outside of Hammer of the Emperor theres nothing 'coming out' soon. Any rad hints you can drop? The colony rules are cool!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Liesmith posted:

Nice! I'm using those, although I'm also arranging social elements like combat with initiative and turns and stuff because I have so many players it's hard to do everything at once

Oh man, I like that initiative idea for social interaction. I wrote those rules right after I got laid off from Palladium (after three or so months of heavy drinking and dicking around with resumes and new business cards) knowing precious little about the system or the setting. I'm glad you're getting good use out of them.

Scoobi posted:

Whats going on over there? I think outside of Hammer of the Emperor theres nothing 'coming out' soon. Any rad hints you can drop? The colony rules are cool!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeell... Due to NDA embargoes and not really knowing all that much (I'm in Detroit, FFG is in Minneapolis) I can't talk much about what's going on. I can tell you we're crazy loving busy, though. In the last quarter of 2012 I wrote something like 250,000 words on a number of different projects, which was loving stupid on my part. I over committed because my 2012 summer was absolutely dead. Dead enough for me to start looking into shooting ads or cooking professionally again. Then GenCon hit and I was underwater until, well, now. So, I can assure you that poo poo is coming, lots of it, but I don't really know what or when. :shobon:

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
was it the Deatwatch Space Hulk book? Because that just came out too. No PDF on Drivethru yet but another potentially awesome book.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Nah, I didn't work on that one. I like Deathwatch okay, but I'm kinda meh on Space Marines. Only War is my jam, though. I love the Guard.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
OOh they're making books about the chaos gods in Black Crusade. Pity the guy who has to find a way to write slaanesh in a way that isn't a cross between the book of vile darkness and the book of erotic fantasy.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Liesmith posted:

OOh they're making books about the chaos gods in Black Crusade. Pity the guy who has to find a way to write slaanesh in a way that isn't a cross between the book of vile darkness and the book of erotic fantasy.

Really gotta emphasize the rock and roll part then, bring stuff like noise marines to the front and center, that's the coolest part of slaanesh anyway.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Liesmith posted:

They're getting the guy who wrote FATAL to do it.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Cynic Jester posted:

Please don't make inappropriate jokes.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

I really want to work on that Slaanesh book (and Papa Nurgle), don't know if I'm in the running, though. I love the ideas behind Slaanesh, the freedom and consequences discussion and the pleasure/pain dichotomy, but man, that poo poo is usually written like a thirteen year old's fever dream. I know a lot of people are really leery about doing that one.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tardcore posted:

Really gotta emphasize the rock and roll part then, bring stuff like noise marines to the front and center, that's the coolest part of slaanesh anyway.

You could also make it about the desire for novelty, non-sexual sensationalism like gluttony, conspicuous consumption, desirability in the form of grace, beauty, charisma, liberty. Just, you know, avoid the dickgirl daemonettes and the buildings loving each other in the warp storm and all that retarded crap. They've actually done pretty well so far, although a whole book about slaanesh is a different story.

Also I'd like to see slaanesh have some really weird stuff, because s/he is the only alien chaos god. Like not weird as in super twisted, just eldar weird.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!
Slaanesh mostly works well enough in official material. It just promises perfection and glory and doesn't mention the fine print that turns it into a nightmare.

The fact that fanboys are obsessed with and fearful of the sex they aren't having to the point where all they can think about is dickgirls is a pretty narrow example of the potential material.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The thing is that those people, the repressed and those whose desires otherwise aren't being satisfied by society, are exactly the sort of folks who would probably have to turn to Slaanesh.

I do agree that the dickgirls should probably be soft-pedaled a bit but to me it makes as little sense to say that there's nobody who uses Slaanesh for that (or nobody of that sort who gets used by Slaanesh, if you prefer) as that EVERYBODY goes for that. Moreover, from a creative standpoint the rock-and-roll thing is almost as overdone out of proportion to a "balanced" view of Slaanesh's portfolio as the dicks; people just don't seem to notice this as much, probably because it creeps them out less.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, it really shouldn't be hard to turn out some good Slaanesh stuff if the writers just turn off their dongs for two minutes. Slaanesh isn't just about loving stuff, you could do a ton of other things. You could have crazy artistic stuff about plumbing new mediums (like turning people into living sculptures or instruments) or some sort of weird chaos mimetic philosophy that unhinges people and allows them to think in entirely new ways. Slaanesh can cover perfecting a craft or skill, all sorts of sensory perceptions, discovery, invention, social revolution. You could probably create some sort of bizarre Slaaneshi Marxist-Utopians who want to unify their planet under a communal government so that everyone can be free to explore different jobs/crafts/skills and enrich themselves endlessly.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can pretty much guarantee that we (the writers and editors) will be on a tight leash when working on that book. We're all pretty committed to making things cool, and to not taking part in a lot of the excesses in the setting.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
As an addendum to my previous post, it seems to me that you could keep some degree of the physical stuff without being too creepy. Include a section about obsession with physical beauty/perfection and body image--including androgyny but also whatever else, really--but keep the private anatomical implications out of it.

A character can be fixated on their self-image without the GM and the other players all needing to know exactly what his/her/their genitals are like.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I want chaos dreadnoughts with tits. Nothing else will suffice.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

How about the idea of ascending to the perfect form of sentience - completely free of the limitations of one's physical body, living as an all-knowing, all-seeing, all-experiencing entity in the Warp. The Imperial cult holds the human form sacred and this idea runs completely counter to it. You'd have cultists committing suicide to free their spirits into the warp and maybe coming back to convert others (by which I mean possess them).

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Manifest posted:

I want chaos dreadnoughts with tits. Nothing else will suffice.

Now you're thinking like a GW content developer!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I like his "hook" on the base Dark Crusade book, that power over others is addictive(see also: most real world cult leaders) and that's why he's got his mark all over the social talents except for a few lying based ones that go to Tzeentch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Clanpot Shake posted:

You'd have cultists committing suicide to free their spirits into the warp and maybe coming back to convert others (by which I mean possess them).

Except the souls are eaten the minute they die, and then the ones who 'come back' are daemons posing as former cultists.

Although really, I miss the times when more daemons weren't aligned with the big 4 and/or didn't fit into the standard greater/lesser/beast of each god template. That was one of the cool things that Dark Heresy brought back from out of the early Rogue Trader/Inquisitor days. Likewise with actually new xenos races. Take the Necrons: it takes a lot away from mysterious worlds that might be a tomb world when it turns out 100% of the time that yep, it's a tomb world. The Necrons are a lot cooler when there are other ancient and deadly mysteries out there so it can be scary when the Necrons are an even bigger threat than the other poo poo that you might stumble on.