Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

That list is missing the best sports film, Space Jam.

The movie is canon, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is this the prequel to Movie 43?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Vagabundo posted:

French character posters for Spring Breakers are out. Since they're basically shots of girls in bikinis, I'm going to assume they're :nws: and will be linking them.

Selena Gomez
http://i.imgur.com/QcntCwR.jpg

Vanessa Hudgens
http://i.imgur.com/vY8NSUv.jpg

Ashley Benson
http://i.imgur.com/MVNCAIT.jpg

Rachel Korine
http://i.imgur.com/bsk1Goy.jpg

James Franco's one probably isn't NWS though.

:911:

Is it just me or is Selena Gomez's torso photshopped to be way too long?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is this the prequel to Movie 43?

Yep, which is itself a prequel to Summer of Sam.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Weird, right?

(If you're an American) There's this weird folksy nobility to the sport. It predates every living person, and the great legends of the sport are taller tales than the founding fathers. It's like if you're born in the US you just instinctively know it's some sort of hallowed and sacred thing.

Meanwhile, it's soul-crushingly boring to watch and just about anyone (American) would rather watch hockey or basketball or especially football.

And yet in movies, football and basketball are comedies or half-assed feel-good underdog movies, and hockey is always about goons (the violent troublemakers and brawlers) or the same lovely underdog movie.

Baseball, though, churns out both of those types of movie, but also is unique in making these Oscar-bait powerful films with big names and great scripts.

It's all so cloaked in myth and history (it has ties to both world wars and the civil rights movement) and all the great and bad moments of US history that it already has a built-in free drama pass before the writer of the movie even kills off the first character or gives someone a drug habit.

There's just something about the history of baseball. It's like the dramatic film version of a crappy student who's a legacy at Harvard. It's already heavy with emotion and up for Oscars because it's America and history and mom's apple pie and America.

And once I can figure out baseball movies, I'll possibly be able to understand why Hollywood has such a raging boner for boxing movies.

The history you're talking about that makes baseball so tantalizing a subject for movies - the mythic qualities interwoven with America's perception of itself - is what makes it feel embalmed-on-arrival as a spectator sport. The reverence of the Billy Crystals and Bob Costases of the world is appealing to traditionalists, but makes it seem stodgy when you're selling it to a mass audience. Though it's worth noting that MLB is as financially healthy as ever, with tremendous attendance numbers every year.

As for boxing, it's just a fact that there's more fascinating stories in that sport than any other. Micky Ward's story got turned into The Fighter, but there's 100 fighters in the last 20 years alone with even wilder and more interesting stories than his. I've given this a lot of thought, because it's something I've noticed just from absorbing a lot of sports stories over the years. Boxers are usually solitary, troubled people from circumstances; the sport itself is all about the individual, which works better dramatically than team sports; and there's also an immense amount of immediate physical peril any time they step into a ring. The scenario of someone choosing to get into a ring and subject themselves, round after round, to blows to the head and body, lends itself to all kinds of macho-poetic mythologizing and remains a really potent storytelling vehicle to this day.

*I'm 100% convinced the only reason NASCAR is as unfathomably popular as it is is because of the potential of seeing a wreck. We, as a people, love seeing poo poo go wrong.

I disagree, I think more NASCAR fans are in it for the storylines than the carnage. In fact die-hard stock car fans will often cite the relative safeness of it vs. open wheel as a reason for their preference, at least in my experience.

Madkal posted:

I still wish a good cricket movie would be made. The only thing that comes close is Bodyline and that is more about jerks being jerks to jerks on the cricket field than anything else.

Lagaan, dude.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Eh! Frank posted:

Wow, I had seen the trailer for '42' a few times now, but I had no idea at all that Harrison Ford was in it until I saw his name on the poster. I had to re-watch the trailer a couple of times just now just to make sure that was him. He's almost unrecognizable, I thought that was Albert Finney or somebody.

Albert Finney is like the size of three Harrison Fords these days.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

DNS posted:

I disagree, I think more NASCAR fans are in it for the storylines than the carnage. In fact die-hard stock car fans will often cite the relative safeness of it vs. open wheel as a reason for their preference, at least in my experience.

Could you go into the storyline aspect a bit? NASCAR has always been the most opaque sport to me in terms of appeal.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Man, I LOVED the way Harrison Ford delivered his lines in that trailer. I can't wait to see the movie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The MSJ posted:

The movie is canon, too.

I can only hope you mean to the NBA, not the Looney Tunes.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is it just me or is Selena Gomez's torso photshopped to be way too long?

And the way the shade envelops her makes her arms look all freaky.

Edit: Actually, it makes them all look like they have skinny famine victim arms.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kiimo posted:

My boss likes to mix gangster rap and period pieces. Gangster Squad and Jay-Z. 42 and...Jay Z. It's his thing. I don't know. At least it isn't dub-step.

Tell your boss from me that the trailer maker's automatic response of "it's about a black guy, let's use rap" has indicated to me that either the movie is a racist piece of poo poo or the people making it are racist pieces of poo poo, and that specifically because of his trailer I will not be giving that film my money.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Maarak posted:

Could you go into the storyline aspect a bit? NASCAR has always been the most opaque sport to me in terms of appeal.

I'm not a fan (CD's own Fag Boy Jim is a die-hard NASCAR fan, perhaps he can chime in), but it's mainly a personality driven sport in terms of fan appeal. If you're a Dale Jr. die-hard, you're tuning in to see him compete; or tuning in to root against Kurt Busch. Aside from that, it's just a part of the fabric of life in rural America - and part of the heritage of the rural south. You grow up steeped in the lore, and everyone in your family has an opinion on this rivalry or that one - the rivalries themselves, between teams and between drivers, are often tangled in a familial way.

Also, as an in-person spectacle it's pretty impressive and visceral, much moreso than on tv. NASCAR also has a fascinatingly dirty and nasty history up through the, I guess, early 90s when it started to become really corporate and Disney-fied.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Jedit posted:

Tell your boss from me that the trailer maker's automatic response of "it's about a black guy, let's use rap" has indicated to me that either the movie is a racist piece of poo poo or the people making it are racist pieces of poo poo, and that specifically because of his trailer I will not be giving that film my money.

Geez, you really wouldn't like Django Unchained then.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013
Maybe there should be a movie trailer thread so we can discuss in-depth just how inappropriate 99% of trailer music is.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

tliil posted:

Maybe there should be a movie trailer thread so we can discuss in-depth just how inappropriate 99% of trailer music is.

Like this one?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Nice work on the 42 poster. They played a trailer for it when I went to Gangster Squad and some dude next to me groaned loudly and went "Not seeing that bullshit."

I wanted to turn to him and say "gently caress you, that looks great." but I have manners in a theater.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I can only hope you mean to the NBA, not the Looney Tunes.

I think he means that Bill Murray can pass between realities with relative ease.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Jedit posted:

Haha, I somehow missed this. Are you trolling? Did you miss that the part of the song used is about Jackie Robinson and Brooklyn? It's thematically resonant, and it's also energetic and modern - it's a way of branding the movie as something with youth appeal, not a musty and dusty period picture. It might not be to everyone's taste, I get that some people just don't like mixing period & modern like that, but the motivation you've ascribed to it is insane.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not a whole lot of glam rock songs about Jackie Robinson.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That 42 poster is awesome and I need to own it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

tliil posted:

The great thing about the internet is that people aren't obligated to respond to you!

I'm not ordering though I'm pleading please I need this.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Jedit posted:

My vision suddenly went black after reading this, then I realized that my eyes had involuntarily rolled right up into my head.

As a black man, please stop getting offended on my behalf over stupid poo poo.

Edit: especially considering neither of the prime examples (Gangster Squad and Great Gatsby) are "movies about black guys."

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 8, 2013

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Baseball has a few things going for it that other sports don't. In general, it's the only major sport being playing in the US in the summer, so it's going to draw a lot of attention that way. Second, they just play a lot of games, so baseball is always going to be somewhat popular, and draw good attendance numbers just out of shear volume. 81 home games for baseball vs. 8 for football means you can draw a lousy 10,000 people per game (which a lot of even the crappiest teams can still do) and you will still way outdraw even the most popular football teams.

As for the movie aspect, baseball has the best made-for-the-screen drama inherit into the game. It always comes down to two people, the pitcher vs. the batter, and the suspense of waiting for the pitch. It's harder to create that tension with more fluid games like basketball and hockey. Football still has a lot of stoppage, but there are 22 guys on the field, so it loses some focus on just a couple of actors, and they all wear helmets, and pads, which limit their physical expressions at key moments. Plus, since it is the only summer sport, it can lend itself to those lazy summer days and nights watching a game. The Sandlot couldn't have been made with any other sport since it relies on kids hanging out all day while school is out, and playing late into the evening because the sun is up longer, and summer nights are the best weather all year.

But I love baseball, and I love baseball movies, so maybe it's just me.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

And once I can figure out baseball movies, I'll possibly be able to understand why Hollywood has such a raging boner for boxing movies.

Oh, c'mon, that's easy.

In a boxing movie the metaphor is so clear. The main character is "fighting for" something outside the ring (self-respect, love, family, whatever) and also literally fighting for something in the ring. The physical fight provides a clear and cinematic dramatization, or perhaps distillation, of what's going on in the character's life. Two men enter the ring, enact conflict against each other, one man wins, the audience cheers.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jedit posted:

Well the movie is directed by a black woman so it has to be my boss you're talking about here. It's pretty telling how you assume the color of my boss, the racism of my boss and the thought process of my boss based on the limited information at hand. It's almost like you're stereotyping him. Dude has the most exhaustive collection of hip hop on his computer that I've ever seen. Is using Elliot Smith in an indie trailer also racist? He used Aerosmith's "Dream On" remixed by Eminem on the Argo trailer. Is that racist because those are two white bands and the movie is about white people?

I'm really not sure where you're coming from on this. As somebody said, that Jay-Z song is about Jackie Robinson and Brooklyn. I don't see the problem here.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

kiimo posted:

Well the movie is directed by a black woman so it has to be my boss you're talking about here.
Preeeeeety sure Brian Helgeland isn't a black woman.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

:doh:

Created. Created, not directed. Rachel Robinson has been trying to get a film about Jackie Robinson put together for twenty years.

That's what I get for posting before I have coffee.

:bang:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

kiimo posted:

Well the movie is directed by a black woman so it has to be my boss you're talking about here. It's pretty telling how you assume the color of my boss, the racism of my boss and the thought process of my boss based on the limited information at hand. It's almost like you're stereotyping him.

I'm not assuming anything about your boss. I'm saying that in my opinion gratuitous use of rap in movie trailers about black people is a poor technique because it gives the impression that the filmmakers are playing to the stereotype, and that makes me not want to see the movie. If I happen to be a lone voice of dissent and your company's research shows that most people think rap music in trailers makes movies look cooler then that's fine - you know more than I do.

(Tarantino gets a pass for rap because after how his last movie ended it was not inconceivable that Django would bust a rhyme at some point.)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Rap music in trailers makes movies look cooler.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They're hip. They're edgy. They're "with it" and down with the crazy kids.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jedit posted:

I'm not assuming anything about your boss. I'm saying that in my opinion gratuitous use of rap in movie trailers about black people is a poor technique because it gives the impression that the filmmakers are playing to the stereotype, and that makes me not want to see the movie. If I happen to be a lone voice of dissent and your company's research shows that most people think rap music in trailers makes movies look cooler then that's fine - you know more than I do.

(Tarantino gets a pass for rap because after how his last movie ended it was not inconceivable that Django would bust a rhyme at some point.)

Actually, if you paid attention to the actual arguments, the song and trailer are edited to the time of Jay-Z rapping about Jackie Robinson. Holy poo poo, dude.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

More Olympus Has Fallen. Morgan Freeman will stare you down until you watch this movie.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Jedit posted:

Yes, because a genre of music focused around giving the black population a voice to speak with is obviously the worst choice of music for a film about a black guy fighting for acceptance as a Major League baseball player. Do you even read the poo poo you post?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Actually, if you paid attention to the actual arguments, the song and trailer are edited to the time of Jay-Z rapping about Jackie Robinson. Holy poo poo, dude.

Also that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's actually the reason that I think it's so cheesy, but it's hardly inappropriate or gratuitous.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Here's the only sports movie you need:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Halfway through the Limitless trailer, it starts to look good, and it's basically 100% because they put "Power" behind it. Rap in trailers owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THE_hhk1Gzc

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dick Trauma posted:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dick Trauma posted:

Pizza Hut won the franchise wars :v:

I totally don't remember D'Onofrio being in it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

AKA Salute of the Jugger. Good pick, but both for movie and poster I'd rather have Rollerball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Everybody forgets Vision Quest.

And Victory. Motherfuckin Pelé.