Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I just hope they support Exchange or something eventually too.

Why does my work have to use Zimbra instead of Google Apps? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:
I still use sparrow and I still think its fantastic even after they were bought by google. Having all of my mail accounts show up in a single inbox is the best part about it. I don't care about push so I'm perfectly happy with the way it works now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mr Pepper posted:

Having all of my mail accounts show up in a single inbox is the best part about it.
The default Mail client does this. :confused:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I switched over to the Gmail app and find it pretty decent now after the redesign. Lack of push just killed Sparrow for me, I was happy to give them a couple bucks because there was talk that push would be coming, but oh well.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zigmidge posted:

These apple threads, sometimes...

You do realize this sentiment of "wow this is kind of dumb" isn't just in this thread, right? Blogs, ratings on the app (it's sitting at 2.5 stars, most complaining about the wait in line...)

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I also use the gmail app but it's loading splash page annoys me. The mail app loads instantly, but gmail makes me wait :/

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I think the mailbox app guys are either staying true to their word of a ramp-up or just are trying to respond to all the criticism, as I just booted it and after about 90 minutes it jumped down about 5,000 spots.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I swear someone posted it before but now I can't find it -- suggestions for a good Flashlight app without a bunch of ads all over the screen?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tensokuu posted:

I swear someone posted it before but now I can't find it -- suggestions for a good Flashlight app without a bunch of ads all over the screen?

I use "Flashlight" from "Apps from Outer Space". Been using it since I first got the phone, and it keeps updating and never gives me an ad.

EDIT: Except for now when I checked their privacy policy page in the settings. But that's the first time (also the first time I knew they had a privacy policy).
EDIT 2: The privacy policy seems to be a generic one for their other apps, since it says it only collects personal information if you want to submit something to their "leaderboards".

IUG fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 8, 2013

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
Flashlight by Rik. Turns on when you open the app and off when you close it.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Awesome, thank you both. Last question -- is there a really good alarm clock app? I've got an old iHome which I could probably get a converter cable (?) for, but I've been using alarms on my phone forever now. (I just switched to iPhone from Android today and I am never going back. Screw that.)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Tensokuu posted:

is there a really good alarm clock app?
Define "really good."

Sleep Cycle is probably the best alarm, while there are numerous clock options if you want something that just shows the time and such on your nightstand.

Then there's the free option of saying "wake me up at 6:30" to your phone and being done with it.

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....
Uniqlo Wake Up sings you a little song with the time, date and local weather to wake you! :)

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Something where I don't need a degree in programming to get it to run. I've had some bad experiences with alarms that I've set on old phones that don't go off in the morning because they're running in the background and the OS didn't give them priority or something -- but when it causes you to oversleep and miss something you were planning n doing, it means it's time to shop around for a new app. (I went through a few different alarm apps on Android)

Having a nice screen with a big number readout would be nice, and being able to use my own music is even more preferable. I was originally looking at Night Stand HD 2, but didn't know if there was a better Goon Preference. (I really dig the flip clock that NS HD has)

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Sleep Cycle is really cool, but it goes under your sheets to track your sleep quality.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you need a guarantee that an alarm will go off, the iHome stuff works well. They have apps you can download for support and provide a dizzying array of options, but they aren't really needed. You set the alarm clock on the base station and it uses iStuff as a music source. If music fails for some reason, it falls back to the classic annoying beep.

Early releases of iOS had problems with alarms because of the way the OS handled sleeping, but in my experience all of that has been fixed since iOS 5. Which means the stock clock app should be pretty reliable. I've used it while traveling the past couple years and it hasn't failed yet.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Can anyone recommend a good running app to track speed and distance reliably.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Look up RunKeeper.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

Modus Operandi posted:

Can anyone recommend a good running app to track speed and distance reliably.

Strava if you want to see how you compare to others doing the same routes.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Mailbox has really picked up the pace fwiw. I was around 6000 in line and got access early this morning.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nut Bunnies posted:

Mailbox has really picked up the pace fwiw. I was around 6000 in line and got access early this morning.

I've dropped 14k since last night. 20k to go...

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Nut Bunnies posted:

So how is it? Was it worth the wait?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

I've dropped 14k since last night. 20k to go...

Still 380000 to go for me :suicide:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm using Mailbox now and so far I think I really like it. Nice looking interface and everything feels very 'quick'. Particularly enjoy the email later delay thing.

One problem though is that I've got several filters that archive and label emails straight away for things like mailing lists and just other stuff I rarely need but haven't had to think about because gmail never fills up and now when I look at the 'all mail' view of Mailbox there suddenly seems a lot of clutter. Will probably have to reduce all that to make it more usable.

It seems that one of the big selling points of Google was 'just get all your mail and worry about it later with search' and this refocusses your use of Gmail away from that to a more traditional. chronological view.

Probably just a case of getting used to it but I need to decide if I want to make that change.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Does it support sending from multiple accounts? I mean like this:

The gmail app does but I'm guessing Mailbox doesn't. If that's the case, then I'll have no use for it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Well you can choose which of your accounts you send mail from if that's what you mean?

Though it's actually a bit convoluted - after pressing the 'new mail' button you press the arrow next to the 'To:' field, then press in the 'From:' field which has your default email account already set then choose from the accounts you have set up.

I'm not sure if I've answered the right question though because I'd have been surprised if Mailbox didn't do that.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Pissflaps posted:

Well you can choose which of your accounts you send mail from if that's what you mean?

Though it's actually a bit convoluted - after pressing the 'new mail' button you press the arrow next to the 'To:' field, then press in the 'From:' field which has your default email account already set then choose from the accounts you have set up.

I'm not sure if I've answered the right question though because I'd have been surprised if Mailbox didn't do that.

You did answer the right question, thank you.

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's the deal with the Contra App? Why isn't it available in the UK? Anyone know when / if it will be?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Any recommendations for an iPad (or ideally universal) SSH client app? I want to be able to shutdown my Mac from bed. Yes, I am that lazy.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there any reason I should use Chrome over Safari? I use Chrome on my desktop too, if that matters.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
You can sync bookmarks and tabs between your desktop and phone, which is pretty nice.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Lexicon posted:

Any recommendations for an iPad (or ideally universal) SSH client app? I want to be able to shutdown my Mac from bed. Yes, I am that lazy.

Prompt seems to be the most often recommended SSH app.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I've become partial to having a text document open on my computer screen that has to do notes on it and was wondering if there was any app that would allow instant synchronization between computer and device? For example, if I added a note from my device I'd like it to automatically appear on my computer screen and if I mark the item as done on my computer I'd like it to also be marked as done on my device.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Virtue posted:

I've become partial to having a text document open on my computer screen that has to do notes on it and was wondering if there was any app that would allow instant synchronization between computer and device? For example, if I added a note from my device I'd like it to automatically appear on my computer screen and if I mark the item as done on my computer I'd like it to also be marked as done on my device.

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but the Notes web app updates in real time according to changes you make on your iOS device.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
PlainText can edit and sync plain text files with Dropbox.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Is there any app that provides like ambient noise of a war going on or something? Kinda like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFP2Lf3XeZ4

For like, writing or listening to metal or whatever. Childish, I know, but I have to ask.

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

hypersleep posted:

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but the Notes web app updates in real time according to changes you make on your iOS device.

I use two programs which do this seamlessly. Resoph Notes on my computer (Windows laptop) syncs perfectly with Simple Note on phone (free with a little unobtrusive ad).

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Virtue posted:

I do this with Microsoft OneNote. Their iOS app is free and I got office 2010 and 2013 through work for $10 a pop so it worked out.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
So, is there an app out yet that can handle AC3-encoded audio again? I'm using OPlayer right now to stream my media from a NAS, which is working beautifully. Just too bad I can't hear audio half the time.

I'm also looking for an app that'll let me browse image folders on that NAS easily. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Jolan posted:

So, is there an app out yet that can handle AC3-encoded audio again? I'm using OPlayer right now to stream my media from a NAS, which is working beautifully. Just too bad I can't hear audio half the time.

I'm also looking for an app that'll let me browse image folders on that NAS easily. Any tips?

Cinexplayer

• Locked thread