Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

GeneralYeti posted:

Let's Play Medabots: Metabee Version!

Like the others have said your screenshots need some work but I liked the rest well enough.
Cool to see somebody doing this game, I 100%'d it back and the day and I don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Sorry about the whole resizing thing; I misunderstood Explosionface's advice. I did start from the raw images, I just didn't uncheck the resampling. Good to know for the future.

I was able to capture the raw footage from a resized emulator, though, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

GeneralYeti posted:

Sorry about the whole resizing thing; I misunderstood Explosionface's advice. I did start from the raw images, I just didn't uncheck the resampling. Good to know for the future.

I was able to capture the raw footage from a resized emulator, though, so that shouldn't be a problem.

You don't have to apologize, especially since I was sort of half-assing my advice at that point anyways. Just fix things and try again.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
The Mass Effect trilogy LP I'm planning is still coming along. I'm mostly concentrating on getting footage. I've gotten most of it, I just need to play through Mass Effect 3 and if I can finish it, then I can most likely be confident enough that even if I haven't finished my update scripts for the games, with the raw footage sitting there I'll finish it eventually. Right now I'm just trying to find something out.

Which of these sizes do you all prefer for when I do the inevitable transcription of about a billion words?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
The biggest one.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah, when you're going to use text the biggest one for sure.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

VivaVizer posted:

Let's Play...

Alright, I made all changes to the test post. Hopefully, the formatting is better as well as the text in general.

Will do a second post for the actual thread for characters and a third post for the map and stats stuff.

Encoding and uploading another version of Day 2. I bumped the game audio by 5 dB and then autoducked for 5 dB. Little worried about using a stronger duck value or a long pause value since I jabber pretty consistently at places.

Will post the video whenever it is done... which probably means tomorrow morning.

Any suggestions or complaints about what I've done thus far?

edit: No complaints so I guess that I'm good to go then.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532849

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 8, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

unpronounceable posted:

Your screenshots are still blurry. See the comparison with the one someone posted a couple pages ago.
Yours:

Theirs:

Your point being? The text in the second one looks lovely as hell and I'd gladly trade it for a bit more blur.

kalonZombie posted:

Which of these sizes do you all prefer for when I do the inevitable transcription of about a billion words?
The biggest one.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Pierzak posted:

Your point being? The text in the second one looks lovely as hell and I'd gladly trade it for a bit more blur.

That's how the game looks, though. It has the weirdest font I've seen in a GBA game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

djw175 posted:

That's how the game looks, though. It has the weirdest font I've seen in a GBA game.
What does it look like on an actual GBA? There were quite a few games perfectly suited for that LCD that looked like crap on everything else.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The second, sharper one is smaller by a factor of ten. A very slight blur improving aesthetics, an arguable point, is not worth making every images ten times bigger.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

This should be the quality that's good, right? I compared it to the other one and it looks the same.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

GeneralYeti posted:

This should be the quality that's good, right?

Except for the part where it's a JPG, and therefore still around 5 times too big, yeah that's what you should be shooting for.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

GeneralYeti posted:

This should be the quality that's good, right? I compared it to the other one and it looks the same.

I see as I write this, Dragonatrix beat me to my point. I just capped this close-up comparison (your jpg on the left, my png on the right)and I'll be damned if I'm just going to throw it away before anyone else sees it.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Crap didn't realize that was a jpg. :argh:

Guess I have to redo all the images again. Thanks for all the advice.

E: if this doesn't work I'm going to hurt someone

This has been capped directly from the emulator. No resizing at all.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 9, 2013

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:
Here's a test/intro video for Let's Play Sorcerian, interested in feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGyTqW371qo

Don't have any posts laid out yet but I plan to scan a bunch of B/W art from the manual.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

ExMortis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGyTqW371qo

Don't have any posts laid out yet but I plan to scan a bunch of B/W art from the manual.

You know, to me, one of the most important things about a Let's Play, obviously, is how the LPer really presents the game to me. Saying that, Socerian really does seem like an interesting game, and you have indeed grabbed my attention with your descriptive commentary as well as showing us the general idea of how the game looks as an introduction.

I think the other, more well versed members that frequent this thread would have a better say on the matter, but to me I think you're doing fine! Now, I wonder if I can get myself a copy of this game...

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

ExMortis posted:

It's a little too vague of a test post to really give any conclusive feedback aside from the lack of game audio. Your commentary is pretty chill which for some reason people will watch anything in this subforum based on that so you're off to a great start with that.

I have a feeling that an LP of Sorcerian could get pretty hard to follow after the first few episodes just because the game is pretty samey throughout apart from being progressively more and more able to fill the screen with murder magic. Maybe consider guest commentary here and there or try changing the party for each scenario just to keep people following along. I like that you want to spruce things up by getting thread participation for deciding party names and stuff - that's pretty neat.

It's a shame the DOS version only had 3 scenarios, though Falcom did release a lot of expansion material (and a bunch of remakes) over the years after it's first releases. There's an iOS port (it's also on PC) of a newer version of the game (for some reason called Sorcerian Original) but it's only in Japanese and it has a bunch of extra scenarios. Maybe someone could show those off as bonus material? I'd offer to do that but I have no idea if I can even get the PC version running on Win7.

Falcom sperging aside the test video seems fine for what it is, image quality is ok, audio is well leveled, good luck with the LP!

Thwack! posted:

I think the other, more well versed members that frequent this thread would have a better say on the matter, but to me I think you're doing fine! Now, I wonder if I can get myself a copy of this game...

Probably dig around on eBay for an old DOS copy, buy the iOS version (it's Japanese only unfortunately) or you can get the JP PC version off Falcom's catalogue (also Japanese).

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Plllllllaydies :heysexy:
Let's Play SUPBERBROTHERS: Sword & Sworcery EP

Background
Sword & Sworcery is a point and click game of sorts. You navigate around by clicking on the ground and clicking people/things to interact with them. The music in it was made by Jim Guthrie, and the OST is very, very good. It was original release as an iPad game, then later that year as an iPhone game. In early-mid 2012 it came out on Steam and Mac/Linux. It's not a very hard game but it has some fun puzzles and a nice look to it. This game is pretty short 4-5 hours maybe, but it is a really awesome game, and you should try it or get the OST.

The Let's Play
This LP will be done with subtitles as to not ruin the atmosphere of the game. You start off the game not really knowing anything, but I will clue you in on things I think you should know. I won't be checking out every item but I will show off what I remember. The game is split up into different session, but by the end the sessions get longer then 15-20 minutes, and each video will be about 20-30 minutes long. Updates will be on Blip and YouTube.

:siren:Even though this was originally an iPad game and isn't to deep don't spoil anything.:siren:

Episodes

Episode 1: Session 1

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

toddy. posted:

lack of game audio

This was something I was planning on talking about in the first real episode/thread, but since the DOS music is kind of sub-par and the sound FX are just really sparse/repetitive PC speaker I was planning on replacing the game audio altogether and using various remixes since Sorcerian has like a million arrange albums. If you really think it'd be a problem I have to assume I can just turn off the game music and keep the PC speaker, but I want to use the arranged tracks regardless.

I realize the LP could end up dragging on as far as verbal content but I intend to avoid/edit out backtracking where possible. I probably won't be min-maxing correctly though, there has never been a time when the magic system wasn't super confusing to me. I'd be open to guests but I don't know anyone :smith:

Thanks for the words so far! As far as getting your own copy you could always bug Xseed about translating Sorcerian Original... and VM Japan...

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

Advice from an amateur, but I think music-wise we should hear a given piece of music at least once before you start replacing it, and sound effects should be heard.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I know it's been blowing in the wind for a while that Blip is getting tougher on LP accounts, but they've just deactivated the Pro status of all paid accounts and announced that they're going to start conferring those upgrades for free on the shows they like while gently encouraging the masses to move to Youtube by unceremoniously deleting their accounts. At least, unlike Viddler, they're not demanding way too much money from everyone they do allow on their precious network. Perhaps they have learned a little something from failures past. Anyway, if you've been putting off grabbing copies of videos you uploaded and didn't keep for whatever reason, now's probably the time to do it.

SaigonTimeMD
Feb 6, 2013
Alright, let's try this again. I'm also planning on making a character/enemy guide-post, but I won't put it here since that seems to be a thing.

:siren:What Is Dead Space?:siren:

Dead Space is a third-person survival-horror/action franchise heavily influenced by films like Alien and The Thing and was created by Visceral Games (formerly EA Redwood Shores). Rife with jump scares, psychological horror, and a surprisingly fleshed-out game world, the Dead Space franchise has (arguably) picked up the action/horror ball after the Resident Evil franchise didn't so much drop it as toss it through a window.

The core of the game revolves around the player character, an everyman space engineer named Isaac Clarke, and his constant run-ins with the omnicidal Necromorphs, a savage race of space zombies with all sorts of permutations, each one more lethal and nightmarish than the last. In the midst of all of it is the shadowy, totally-not-based-on-a-real-religion religion Unitology, which has deep ties to the Necromorphs involving Markers, massive artifacts of incalculable power that seem to have varying effects on both the living and the undead.

Isaac must use his engineering know-how, a slew of re-purposed engineering equipment, and a spine made of the most indestructible material in the galaxy to survive the terror of the Necromorphs, who can only be killed (at least most of them) by strategically dismembering them with precision cutting tools or massive blasts of force - coincidentally enough, the very sort of output you might expect from futuristic tools! However, even his suit addons Stasis (freezes/slows down objects for a small amount of time) and Kinesis (look ma, I gots me a gravity gun) may not save him from the hallucinations and madness that seem to accompany the Necromorphs wherever they pop up.

:siren:SPOILERS: Dead Space 2? What Happened To Dead Space 1?:siren:

While I DID do a Let's Play for Dead Space 1, the audio isn't the best since my old microphone was faulty and I wasn't able to get a new one until the last three chapters. If you really want to suffer through my atrocious mic, you can find the playlist here. That being typed, I WILL give you a quick rundown of the first game's plot, since it's fairly important to understanding Dead Space 2's plot.

The game opens with Isaac Clarke, Zach Hammond, Kendra Daniels, and two red-shirts dropping out of warp near the USG Ishimura, a 'planet-cracking' ship that carves huge chunks of rock out of lifeless planets for mineral resources. Our intrepid group is a repair team dispatched to fix whatever was keeping the Ishimura from communicating - Clarke himself has a personal investment, since his girlfriend, Nicole Brennan, is on board. Unfortunately, it appears that the problem is more than a broken audio dish, and things go bad about as fast as they can: the two security officers get mulched by Necromorphs, and poor Isaac gets temporarily separated from Zach and Kendra. Isaac arms himself with the only nearby weapon, a plasma-launching cutting tool, and begins what is probably the worst day of his life.

Eventually Isaac meets back up with Zach and Kendra, and from there the game turns into a lengthy series of fetch quests as Isaac wanders about the ship, trying to get it back into working condition. Zach and Kendra get separated and spend most of the game telling you what to do next from cushy control rooms with locked air vents and probably lots of free food. Along the way, Isaac encounters several other still-living survivors, including the mad Dr. Mercer, who constantly harasses Isaac with his (almost) unkillable Necromorph, the Hunter, and the slightly-less-mad-or-at-least-less-malevolent Dr. Kyne, who thinks he knows how to stop the Necromorphs once and for all. Nicole appears alive and well too, if a bit obtuse when it comes to conversation and her strange ability to pass through enemy-ridden areas completely undetected. As Zach and Kendra argue over the intercom about what the ship's true purpose is and which one of them you can trust, it becomes increasingly clear that salvage is a secondary goal to survival, as the initial shuttle was all but destroyed in the landing, so Isaac must then put a shuttle back together using parts from a military ship that just HAPPENED to be in the area, but picked up a Necromorph-occupied escape pod before promptly crashing into the Ishimura's hull.

Long story short, you blast Mercer in the face, Zach gets mulched by a Brute (a particularly tough breed of Necromorph), and Kyne reveals that the Marker onboard the Ishimura was keeping the Necromorph infestation at bay (and was also causing the madness that consumed the Aegis VII colony and later the Ishimura) and that you must return it to the surface of Aegis VII shortly before being shot by Kendra, who was a double agent for EarthGov the entire time and wants to take the Marker back for scientific study, though not before leaving you to die since you know too much. However, some quick shuttle-retrieving by Nicole saves your bacon, and you drag the Marker down to the surface, only to have it stolen AGAIN by Kendra, who then reveals that Nicole has been dead the entire time by forcing Isaac to watch the last video Nicole sent him, except all the way to the end this time. Unfortunately for her, Kendra's plan to take the Marker backfires as the beast it was keeping at bay, the nightmarish Hive Mind, turns her into a juicy pulp before she can escape. The Hive Mind then engages Isaac in a surprisingly-sporting Giant-Boss-vs.-Little-Dude-On-A-Platform fight. After putting the final plasma nail in the Hive Mind's coffin, Isaac then takes the last remaining shuttle and escapes Aegis VII as the rest of it comes crashing down thanks to the Marker's effects on anything electronic, including the gravity tethers holding it up. Beaten, battered, bruised, but unbroken, Isaac relaxes in the lonely quiet of the shuttle, only to turn to his right and OH MY GOD IT'S NICOLE BUT SHE'S A NECROMORPH AAAAAAAAAGH.

The End...?

:siren:END SPOILERS:siren:

As for Dead Space 2, Isaac appears to have made it back to civilization, though less on the terms he'd like - being kept in a straightjacket while tormented by visions of Nicole and the Red Marker. One day, he finds himself miraculously freed by a fellow named Franco, only for the SECOND-worst day of his life to promptly begin...

:siren:So How Will This Work? Will There Be Audience Participation?:siren:

I think this will be a largely solo thing, since character customization upgrades are costly and very important to survival in later levels. If anyone wants to bring up things in levels I might miss (or might have missed) I'll be happy to go back and check those out, and if there are any Easter Eggs hiding about, I'll try and point those out too. My ultimate goal with Let's Play is to be halfway between a cut-and-dry strategy guide and a humorous commentary track. I'll attempt not to completely talk over story-important stuff, but if something pops into my head, it'll probably come out - which is why I've enabled subtitles, just in case. I'm doing the commentaries live, as I feel it's essential to preserving the spirit of the survival-horror atmosphere a.k.a. my real-time reactions to jump scares as opposed to overdubbing it later with 'Oh boy, that sure was spooky.' That's not to say you should expect me to shriek at every little thing - that's wicked annoying.

I'm not playing for speed, but rather to show as much of the game as I can - Visceral did a great job making the environments and technology in Dead Space 2 (and DS1, for that matter) feel like real places and things, albeit from the future. I dig that creepy, crazy atmosphere.

I'm still debating whether to do a multiplayer video of any sort - online is more or less dead at this point (heh), but it's a mode I actually got quite a kick out of. Expect me to talk about it during some of the more tedious sections of the game, either way.

A big part of what I'm also looking for is audience feedback - advice, criticism, anything to help me be a better Let's Player.

:siren:Update Policy:siren:

I'm going to try to update fairly often - say, 2-3 times a week. Each video is planned to be around 15-20 minutes long, so I don't believe the process will take too much time. As for the editing itself, I'll be trying to cut out as much boring stuff as possible, which includes but is not limited to:

- Store-related stuff
- Bench-related stuff
- Backtracking/looking for supplies when there's nothing interesting happening
- Exploration that turns out to be boring
- Getting lost

I'll show how the systems work the first time just for the sake of visual completeness, but every time after that I'll cut to a later part. I WILL describe what I bought/how I upgraded in the video description or in the post itself, but the idea is to minimize downtime. As for player death - when I die (not an 'if') I'll fast-forward through the game up until the point where I died unless something particularly interesting happens. If I die repeatedly, I'll just cut out all of the deaths (or maybe hyper-speed them to 'Yakety Sax') because nobody wants to watch me run down a hallway five times because I keep screwing up a Stasis puzzle.

:siren:Spoiler Policy:siren:
- Please don't discuss spoilers from Dead Space 2 unless they've already been covered in the videos or in my posts.
- Discussion of Dead Space 1 spoilers is fine. If you're watching a playthrough of Dead Space 2 without even reading a wiki synopsis of Dead Space 1's plot, you're cruisin' for a bruisin', brother.
- Dead Space 3 spoilers are RIGHT OUT. No exceptions.

Table of Contents - All Youtube Links
Episode 1 - Rise And Freak Out, Mr. Clarke
Episode 2 - Love In An Elevator

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SaigonTimeMD posted:

If anyone wants to bring up things in levels I might miss (or might have missed) I'll be happy to go back and check those out, and if there are any Easter Eggs hiding about, I'll try and point those out too.
Or you could try actually knowing the game you're going to LP so the viewer doesn't have to do your job for you?

SaigonTimeMD posted:

I'm doing the commentaries live, as I feel it's essential to preserving the spirit of the survival-horror atmosphere a.k.a. my real-time reactions to jump scares as opposed to overdubbing it later with 'Oh boy, that sure was spooky.'
No one cares about your "hilarious" reactions. If you want to preserve the atmosphere of a survival horror game do subtitle commentary.

SaigonTimeMD posted:

I'm not playing for speed, but rather to show as much of the game as I can -
And yet you're relying on the viewer to point out all the poo poo you miss?

SaigonTimeMD posted:

A big part of what I'm also looking for is audience feedback - advice, criticism, anything to help me be a better Let's Player.
Know the game you're playing, don't do live commentary.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I don't know, some people go in for the blind LP thing, it's a bit excessive to say "never do LPs with live commentary, never do them blind". It's just that blind LPs are usually worse than ones that are done with preparation and ones with post commentary are usually better than ones with live commentary, as a general rule.

As long as you aren't one of those annoying twats who screams at jump scares, you can pull off an ok blind LP of a survival horror game that is up to SA standards as long as you edit it well, I think.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Live commentary is fine, it's just a lot easier to do post-commentary (especially when there's a notable amount of editing).

That said, you should really know the game before you go into it, but it's not like Dead Space 2 has a lot of hidden secrets. Just make sure you don't spend too many nodes so that you can keep unlocking node doors and that's about it. Any other secrets are usually just items sitting around, and while it's fun to go around looting when you're playing the game it'd be terribly boring to watch you plow through a bunch of poo poo just for a couple line racks.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012
I didn't think the first video was too bad. A little too dark to tell what's happening at a few points, but I suppose that's part of the atmosphere. Also it might just be me but the game seemed to be running a little rough in spots, a little bit of choppiness here and there. Other than that I liked it.

Then again, I know nothing about Dead Space.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

SaigonTimeMD posted:

as opposed to overdubbing it later with 'Oh boy, that sure was spooky.'

If that's what you think post-commentary is, you have no idea what post-commentary is.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

So there was a call in the Star wars TOR LP thread for people to do a republic side playthrough. Here is my first attempt,SWTOR Jedi Knight Run

If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve it I would be grateful.

Problems I can see myself already but I am not sure how to fix, Is it too short a post for an update? How do I get rid of the substantial white areas in character pictures? but if anyone spots any more problems and can suggest ways to improve it would be good of them to let me know.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Ferrosol posted:

So there was a call in the Star wars TOR LP thread for people to do a republic side playthrough. Here is my first attempt,SWTOR Jedi Knight Run

If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve it I would be grateful.

Problems I can see myself already but I am not sure how to fix, Is it too short a post for an update? How do I get rid of the substantial white areas in character pictures? but if anyone spots any more problems and can suggest ways to improve it would be good of them to let me know.
Your images are way too large and most people don't want to click on separate, individual links per picture. I'd also say for the crawl that a gif might work better for that rather than separate images. And if you want to crop out excess areas in your character portraits then that can be easily done in GIMP using it's free form cropping tool. You don't have to be super precise but it could definitely help with uniformity. Also speaking of uniformity with those images, it would also help if you made them all the same size; it seemed like there was at least one character profile that you had at two different sizes for some reason.

sentrygun posted:

That said, you should really know the game before you go into it, but it's not like Dead Space 2 has a lot of hidden secrets. Just make sure you don't spend too many nodes so that you can keep unlocking node doors and that's about it. Any other secrets are usually just items sitting around, and while it's fun to go around looting when you're playing the game it'd be terribly boring to watch you plow through a bunch of poo poo just for a couple line racks.
Yea, Dead Space 2 is not really heavy in the secrets department but there were things brought to my attention that I had missed (such as that scale near the first store can be stomped and it'll show the force of your stomp) and it still might be good to have a reasonable knowledge of the backstory and sidestories brought up in the other media for the game. That said, I thought it was generally fine, if the commentary did sink into a bit too much reaction over actual content; the one thing I would say is that you spent a good two or three minutes at the store talking about meandering things. It seemed to cover stuff that wasn't very important or that could easily be covered later when it needed to be (like when you actually ran low on inventory or reached a work bench). Also the bumper at the start just seems a tad repetitive as you start out the video either way saying who you are and what you're playing.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

OK, here's some test post action for my 1st post/1st update on Sorcerian: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=10320

Sorry to effectively double up on "give me feedback" posts but I've never done this before and don't want to make a fool of myself for the internet.
For the actual adventures I'll be typing up the story from the manual and pics/descrips of the items/bestiary. All the manual art is this sketchy B/W stuff that I'll be thresholding in Photoshop, I'm assuming it'll look better than this lousy old PDF once I do my own scan.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Spiffo posted:

If that's what you think post-commentary is, you have no idea what post-commentary is.

Please elaborate what post-commentary actually is then. Because I sort of understand what Saigon is saying in that post commentary can sometimes lack emotion. That's why I do live, it's more work and sometimes requires multiple takes, but I think it works better in the end.

Saigon, what you also need to understand is that the people here who do like live commentary for the real emotion and reactions enjoy seeing real emotions and reactions. No one over 5 years old screams in terror or gasps in shock at a video game; that is fake emotion, and it's the worst thing ever. So don't do that. Just be real, genuine and mature.

salttotart
Mar 29, 2010

What's my favorite thing?
I agree, I like live commentary, but I realize that there is a time and place for live. If you are going in depth to talk about the game/enemies/secrets/etc., then post is the way to go. However, live is great in a group setting if you are playing something multi-player, or you are doing a game blind with assistance. It allows for the full experience. Those are really the only times though. Doing it just for emotion or silly gimmicks isn't right. If we want that, we have lots of Youtube LP's to watch. Most of us here want to see the game in all its horrible, gory glory. Wow us with your ability to do the game justice; you're ability to scream at something on the screen isn't going to do it.

Rinoka
Sep 15, 2012

Is this hope...?
...No! That's wrong!
I'm cutting in on this discussion to ask a question about an LP I'm planning on running, as a fast question.

I'm planning on doing a let's play of Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. This is the sequel to 999, which has an ongoing Let's Play done by the wonderful Dragonatrix right over here.

Now, two questions:

1) Should I go with shrunken images or their natural resolution (960x544)?

2) Should I wait until after Dragonatrix's 999 LP is done? VLR is definitely related to the previous game - it contains Clover from 999, who definitely remembers the events of 999 and isn't afraid to exposit. There's also a few joke cameos and more then one informational cameo that would be lost if you haven't seen 999 before. So basically: should I go in expecting people to either wait for Dragonatrix's LP to finish/play 999 on their own time before reading, or wait?

Rinoka fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 10, 2013

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Rinoka posted:

I'm cutting in on this discussion to ask a question about an LP I'm planning on running, as both an interest check and a question.

I'm planning on doing a let's play of Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. This is the sequel to 999, which has an ongoing Let's Play done by the wonderful Dragonatrix right over here.

Now, two questions:

1) Are you interested? This is just a self explanatory thing and I'm working with the Vita version, so there's gonna be a lot of HD screenshots. On that count would you who are interested prefer shrunken or their natural resolution (960x544)?

2) Should I wait until after Dragonatrix's 999 LP is done? VLR is definitely related to the previous game - it contains Clover from 999, who definitely remembers the events of 999 and isn't afraid to exposit. There's also a few joke cameos and more then one informational cameo that would be lost if you haven't seen 999 before. So basically: should I go in expecting people to either wait for Dragonatrix's LP to finish/play 999 on their own time before reading, or wait?
That first question seems a lot like an interest check and there might be something in the title of this thread that might tell you that's a bad idea.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Rinoka posted:

I'm cutting in on this discussion to ask a question about an LP I'm planning on running, as a fast question.

Now, two questions:

1) Are you interested? This is just a self explanatory thing and I'm working with the Vita version, so there's gonna be a lot of HD screenshots. On that count would you who are interested prefer shrunken or their natural resolution (960x544)?

The Let's Play Sandcastle (Argue about LPs here): Interest Check = Ban

e;fb

djw175 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 10, 2013

Rinoka
Sep 15, 2012

Is this hope...?
...No! That's wrong!

Niggurath posted:

That first question seems a lot like an interest check and there might be something in the title of this thread that might tell you that's a bad idea.

djw175 posted:

The Let's Play Sandcastle (Argue about LPs here): Interest Check = Ban

e;fb

I made a mistake, but I edited my reply before you noted. Definitely sorry for asking about an interest check, but I did want to know what you guys thought about 999/VLR waiting. Also resizing. But mostly waiting.

Still, apologies for (nearly?) interest checking.

Rinoka fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 10, 2013

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Rinoka posted:

I made a mistake, but I edited my reply before you noted. Definitely sorry for asking about an interest check, but I did want to know what you guys thought about 999/VLR waiting. Also resizing. But mostly waiting.

Still, apologies for (nearly?) interest checking.
I'd think putting a spoiler warning in the OP that things that happened in 999 would be revealed during the course of your LP might be enough. I mean it doesn't seem like Dangan Ronpa which it's that connected and you might lose things between the two. And I want to say that 960x544 might be a bit too big, and it might be good to downsize them to the next closest resolution at that aspect ratio.

Also didn't mean to make it seem like such a big deal that you did an 'interest check', it's just in the thread title and it gives the appearance that you didn't read before you posted.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Niggurath posted:

I mean it doesn't seem like Dangan Ronpa which it's that connected and you might lose things between the two.

Oh there's totally plot points in VLR that you probably only partially understand (because they explain the relevant parts in-game, but still) and especially can't appreciate without knowing the plot of 999.

Can you get us an example screenshot? Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Vita VLR put a huge logo/copyright watermark on every screenshot you take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The connection between the 2 games doesn't really come in until the closing stages of VLR, so provided you pace it well enough everything of relevance will play out in the 999 LP before you reach it. As for images I've always understood the forum rule is keep the width at or below 800px.

• Locked thread