Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Paulocaust posted:

Also, question: I made up a wrestling finisher I used to use on my friends that I always thought was super awesome and had never seen until I saw this Hustle highlight video from '04. Basically, you set someone up for an F-5, but instead of spinning them forward and slamming them facedown beside you, you spin them backward, catch their head and finish it with an RKO/Diamond Cutter. Is this actually a move, or did Dan Bobish just make it up on the spot? Considering he's an MMA fighter, I would assume the latter.

This is called the TKO and it actually predates the F5 by few years, ironically first used by Lesnar's wife's ex-husband Marc Mero in the late-90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

a radii hike posted:

Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asZxGvtpn_U&t=107s

Hell, there are probably be even earlier versions that I have no knowledge of.

Exactly like that. I thought I made it up. Way to destroy my childhood. :(

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paulocaust posted:

In grade 6 or 7, our gym was set up with this giant platform that looked like a big wooden lifeguard's chair. It was probably about 10 feet high and underneath it was one of those giant, soft gym mats you can land on, like those high jump ones.

Was it a Volleyball judge's chair?

We had a portable one in our gym about that high.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

Was it a Volleyball judge's chair?

We had a portable one in our gym about that high.

No, it was some piece of equipment that was meant to be jumped off of, I just have no idea why or what it actually was.

e: I don't watch WWE, but looks like Alex Riley is actually using said move as his finisher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Eevh28rc2k

Big Poppa
Aug 21, 2003
Big Poppa is fine.

Halloween Jack posted:

Confession time: I invented the "inverted figure four" on purpose before Michaels invented it by botching. I called it "the Machine."

Cool confession time: In high school, I had this stoner sorta-friend who liked to act tough by patting and slapping other guys on his face, like something he'd seen in a mobster movie. One day after a pep rally I was standing around daydreaming when he walked op and slapped me across the face, hard. I had been studying karate for a few years at that point, and without even looking to see who it was I Flair chopped him right below the throat, high on the sternum. He was a bigger guy, but he went to the floor hacking and wheezing.

Speaking of FIIST can we use it now for Brock Lesnar? We could name it gently caress It, Its Shuffle Time.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Halloween Jack posted:

You do realize Angle's ankle lock is a toehold, right?

I know. I was talking about Gotch's, which was strictly a small-joint lock instead of Kurt's. A few puro guys break out the small-joint lock on occasion, but I'd love to see it as a finisher since it's legitimately excruciating.

(And I broke both big toes when I was learning it when I started out in catch-as-catch-can. Small-joint holds are the loving worst.)

Rags to Liches fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 9, 2013

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is that the one where they're turtling and you reach through their leg?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

This is called the TKO and it actually predates the F5 by few years, ironically first used by Lesnar's wife's ex-husband Marc Mero in the late-90s.

Sable should marry Kenny King next. And then he'd constantly be searching youtube for "fireman carry finisher" and trying to stay one step ahead of her freaky fetish.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Paulocaust posted:

e: I don't watch WWE, but looks like Alex Riley is actually using said move as his finisher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Eevh28rc2k

On top of using Soldier Ant's finisher, Alex Riley has also been filmed doing Chuck Taylor's invisible hand grenade spot. It made Chuck Taylor angry on Twitter. :haw:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I met Jerry Lynn tonight.

Dunno how it's about asking questions but if you ask me if Jerry is awesome, I'm sure I could find ways to explain why he's awesome.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Has anyone ever bought any products from Red Bubble? They've got a decent enough selection of CM Punk shirts and I might treat myself for my birthday. Are the products good quality?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yep, they're pretty good. I bought a Daniel Bryan Vegan Ketchup hoodie and that thing is co comfy it should be illegal.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yep, they're pretty good. I bought a Daniel Bryan Vegan Ketchup hoodie and that thing is co comfy it should be illegal.

Given that they're using WWE-owned names and likenesses without permission, they almost certainly ARE illegal! And unless they're cutting the wrestlers a percentage under the table, which I doubt, it's difficult for me to support buying them anyway.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Dunno how it's about asking questions but if you ask me if Jerry is awesome, I'm sure I could find ways to explain why he's awesome.

Explain why Jerry Lynn is awesome.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

He's just one letter away from true greatness.

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010

MrBling posted:

He's just one letter away from true greatness.

Are you criticizing his decision to get the 'F' out?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I remember seeing a chain-wrestling clinic he put on in ECW. Don't even remember with who, just that it was mindblowing from a company from which I expected "Ee See Dubbayoo" chants and self-mutilation. So yes, tell me all about why Jerry Lynn is awesome.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

One interesting fact about Jerry Lynn is that he's one of a select few people to have worked a match in all five of the most significant modern US promotions (WWF/E, WCW, ECW, TNA, ROH).

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=882&page=20

I think we figured out last year that the only others are Raven, Terry Funk, Konnan, and possibly ICP as odd as that sounds.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thauros posted:

One interesting fact about Jerry Lynn is that he's one of a select few people to have worked a match in all five of the most significant modern US promotions (WWF/E, WCW, ECW, TNA, ROH).

I think we figured out last year that the only others are Raven, Terry Funk, Konnan, and possibly ICP as odd as that sounds.

I'm trying to think of more people who would qualify.

Christopher Daniels?

Edit: Dusty Rhodes too

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 10, 2013

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

AJ has everything but ECW.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Thauros posted:

Mick Foley

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

I'm trying to think of more people who would qualify.

Christopher Daniels?

Edit: Dusty Rhodes too

Daniels was mentioned when we went over this topic last year, he just slipped my mind because I forgot about his short WWF Shotgun jobber period.

Never would have imagined Dusty would qualify but you're right. He wrestled one match for ROH back in '03 when I was only vaguely aware of them.

bobkatt013 posted:

Mick Foley

Foley made some appearances in ROH but never wrestled there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Thauros posted:

Daniels was mentioned when we went over this topic last year, he just slipped my mind because I forgot about his short WWF Shotgun jobber period.

Never would have imagined Dusty would qualify but you're right. He wrestled one match for ROH back in '03 when I was only vaguely aware of them.

Foley made some appearances in ROH but never wrestled there.

Sorry I skimmed and missed work a match qualifier.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nigel McGuinness didn't mind losing his ROH belt to him.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

because he was nice to me at Waffle House

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

When did Daniels work in ECW?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

The Goog posted:

Given that they're using WWE-owned names and likenesses without permission, they almost certainly ARE illegal! And unless they're cutting the wrestlers a percentage under the table, which I doubt, it's difficult for me to support buying them anyway.

Some of those shirts are probably legally protected as parody. Plus WWE wrestlers make lots of money and sell lots of merch. This guy isn't taking food out of CM Punk's mouth.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Karmine posted:

Some of those shirts are probably legally protected as parody. Plus WWE wrestlers make lots of money and sell lots of merch. This guy isn't taking food out of CM Punk's mouth.

I could swear I've actually seen an interview with Punk where he's wearing a shirt from that site.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

When did Daniels work in ECW?

Looks like he did in its dying days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX4RIgMUhgo

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Thauros posted:

I had to look this up, found this page, and you are right: ICP have worked in all five major promotions in the modern era of wrestling which is a bizarre achievement for them to have above others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_wrestling_career_of_Insane_Clown_Posse

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Intrusive Thoughts posted:

I had to look this up, found this page, and you are right: ICP have worked in all five major promotions in the modern era of wrestling which is a bizarre achievement for them to have above others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_wrestling_career_of_Insane_Clown_Posse

ICP performing for Ring of Honor is about as :psyduck: as it gets.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Shane Douglas just baaaaaaarely qualifies having wrestled one match in ROH on a show they did with JAPW.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Another one I just thought of:

2 Cold Scorpio

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Justin Credible did a few jobs pre-Aldo Montoya in WCW on Worldwide tapings as PJ Walker so he's another one.

This isn't all that distinguished of a list.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Karmine posted:

Why shouldn't Punk be entitled to make more money? Why is some other dude entitled to? Especially at $25 bucks per bootleg shirt.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

MassRayPer posted:

Why shouldn't Punk be entitled to make more money? Why is some other dude entitled to? Especially at $25 bucks per bootleg shirt.

I'm not saying Punk shouldn't be seeing some of the money I'm just saying that him missing out on royalties from the handful of shirts sold on this website isn't going to starve him.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Here's a good follow up question, who worked the most promotions? I bet it's Generico.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

considering the sheer volume of promotions that have existed from big national ones down to rinky-dink operations that perform in front of 15 people in a lodge, it's probably impossible to figure out who's worked for the most.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Liar Lyre posted:

Here's a good follow up question, who worked the most promotions? I bet it's Generico.

Sabu comes immediately to mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Cardboard Box posted:

considering the sheer volume of promotions that have existed from big national ones down to rinky-dink operations that perform in front of 15 people in a lodge, it's probably impossible to figure out who's worked for the most.

Hmm, that's true. What makes a promotion legitimate? Is it the talent? The size of the audience? Show quality?