Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

dud root posted:

Was it possible to get the tattoo removed? I got suggestions from Triss and Sile, but no quest to do it. If there is a way I'm glad I didnt do it because its hilarious

Triss tells you what ingredients you need, there's no quest but if you bring those to her and repeat the dialogue you get the choice to remove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
CD Projekt pretty abruptly became good at little character moments like that. The thing with the tattoo pretty much instantly made Triss a likeable character for me; and Roche and crew got a lot of character development mileage out of that one little side quest.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Robert Analog posted:

Are they ever going to mention Shani again? I spent a lot of time wooing her and left Alvin with her in the first game but she never gets mentioned in 2.

"...The flame of their romance blazed bright, but it burned out quickly. Though a very young woman, Shani proved more mature than the witcher, who had always found relationships puzzling and difficult. Geralt would dodge his obligations towards her, preferring instead to pursue the missions King Foltest assigned him. The medic quickly realized this flour would yield no bread. She had a serious conversation with the witcher, and they parted amicably. Shani accepted an offer to teach at Oxenfurt and left for that city, whereas Geralt followed Foltest to the lands of the La Valettes. After splitting with Shani, the witcher needed comforting and quickly found solace in Triss Merigold's arms." - Dandelion.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Ephemeron posted:

"...The flame of their romance blazed bright, but it burned out quickly. Though a very young woman, Shani proved more mature than the witcher, who had always found relationships puzzling and difficult. Geralt would dodge his obligations towards her, preferring instead to pursue the missions King Foltest assigned him. The medic quickly realized this flour would yield no bread. She had a serious conversation with the witcher, and they parted amicably. Shani accepted an offer to teach at Oxenfurt and left for that city, whereas Geralt followed Foltest to the lands of the La Valettes. After splitting with Shani, the witcher needed comforting and quickly found solace in Triss Merigold's arms." - Dandelion.

Since Novigrad will be in W3, I wonder if we'll get to go to Oxenfurt as well.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I doubt that Shani will be important. They even said in the video that one of the major parts of the story is which girl you want, which doesn't really leave room for a human medic.

I'd assume Triss and Yennefer and Geralt's love triangle will play a big role and hopefully they are up to the task of handling that well. I felt Triss was quite believable in Witcher 2 so I have hope. They have a lot to explore with her deciding to help Geralt find Yennefer, even if it means she gets forgotten again, etc.

I really hope we get to fight alongside Ciri and that she plays a large role. That would be awesome. There's a lot they can do with her and the world Her child is supposed to rule half the world, and her grandchild is supposed to rule the whole thing. So leading into that would be interesting.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I don't think Shani should have a major role in 3's plot, but it would be nice for her to be there to at least give her story some closure other than an easily missed journal entry that wasn't even there in vanilla Witcher 2.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Can't wait to go sailing for whales. :dance:

So what type of places are Novigrad and Skellinge in terms of landscape and culture? Some of the screenshots show viking-inspired stuff like longships and horned helmets. Would that be in Novigrad or Skellinge?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Spite posted:

I really hope we get to fight alongside Ciri and that she plays a large role. That would be awesome. There's a lot they can do with her and the world Her child is supposed to rule half the world, and her grandchild is supposed to rule the whole thing. So leading into that would be interesting.

So I haven't read the books but I have looked things up on the wiki and there is one thing that doesn't make any sense to me for some reason that Emperor of Nilfgaard dude wants to marry his own daughter Ciri and have a child for her since her grandchild will rule the world. But why the hell isn't he just happy with having his great grandchild rule the world?

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Can't wait to go sailing for whales. :dance:

So what type of places are Novigrad and Skellinge in terms of landscape and culture? Some of the screenshots show viking-inspired stuff like longships and horned helmets. Would that be in Novigrad or Skellinge?

Skellinge is the Viking islands, Novigrad is the sprawling metropolis.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lord Tywin posted:

So I haven't read the books but I have looked things up on the wiki and there is one thing that doesn't make any sense to me for some reason that Emperor of Nilfgaard dude wants to marry his own daughter Ciri and have a child for her since her grandchild will rule the world. But why the hell isn't he just happy with having his great grandchild rule the world?

Two words: Elder Blood

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Geralt's motivations have always been decidingly personal; being caught up in world politics unwillingly. I figured most of the third game would be a search for Yennefer in imperial Nilfgaard, ending with a world shaking info dump/ confrontation with Emyhr and the Wild Hunt. I'm curious to see how they'll justify all the world hopping. Redania and the Skillge are nowhere near Nilfgaard, so I wonder if you'll even go there, or they're really trying to make this game gigantic.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
20% bigger than Skyrim was their current goal in terms of area covered. Since that includes boats that doesn't necessarily have to be contiguous area, either.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'm no expert on the Witcher universe, so I had to go find a map to even have a chance to see where any of those places were in relation to one another. Most were either in polish or were hard to read, but this seemed pretty decent, in case anyone else needs a map to refer to.

I'm assuming Nilfgaard is the fuckoff huge dark blue empire dwarfing the combined size of all the other kingdoms on the map? Also, is Skellige the collective name of the small kingdoms on the northernmost stretch of the coast?

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 7, 2013

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Slashrat posted:

I'm no expert on the Witcher universe, so I had to go find a map to even have a chance to see where any of those places were in relation to one another. Most were either in polish or were hard to read, but this seemed pretty decent, in case anyone else needs a map to refer to.

I'm assuming Nilfgaard is the fuckoff huge dark blue empire dwarfing the combined size of all the other kingdoms on the map? Also, is Skellige the collective name of the small kingdoms on the northernmost stretch of the coast?

Yeah Nilfgaard is pretty much everything thats dark blue on that map, although the northernmost part of Nilfgaard are areas that they recently conquered in one of the earlier Nilfgaardian wars. Nilfgaard itself is pretty far to the South.

Edit: Im not sure but I think that Dol Blathanna (between Aedirn and Lyria) is technically part of Nilfgaard as well. apparently not its actually under the control of Aedirn

The Skellige is that collection of islands off the coast of Cidaris (West of Temeria).

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 7, 2013

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
For those that know the witcher verse better than me: during act 3 of the Witcher 2 a few people mention that Nilfgaard has crossed the Yaruga, where on that map is the Yaruga? I can't seem to find it and I'm kinda curious now.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Autsj posted:

For those that know the witcher verse better than me: during act 3 of the Witcher 2 a few people mention that Nilfgaard has crossed the Yaruga, where on that map is the Yaruga? I can't seem to find it and I'm kinda curious now.

Its basically the border between Nilfgaard and the Northern Kingdoms if you look at this map its the river/black dotted line immediately south of Lyria, Sodden and Brugg.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

SpRahl posted:

Its basically the border between Nilfgaard and the Northern Kingdoms if you look at this map its the river/black dotted line immediately south of Lyria, Sodden and Brugg.

Figured as much, but I couldn't find it on that other map, thanks. Guess it's bye bye Verden, Brugge and Lyria now :(.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

The Yaruga separates the Northern Kingdoms from their geopolitical brethren to the south, mainly the kingdoms that surrendered to or were conquered by Nilfgaard. It's the southernmost natural boundary of Temeria and it's conquered protectorates. Temeria was the kingdom 1 and the beginning of 2 took place in.

Map link: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081130140512/witcher/images/8/84/Map_Nilfgaard.png

It's Jaruga because the Poles hate the Latin alphabet.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Two words: Elder Blood

Could you expand upon that? Since it still doesn't make any sense for me.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope you can be more neutral in the third game. The choices in the second game were great, don't get me wrong, but I loved the first game's "Consult with racists or terrorists? gently caress no, I'm a witcher. I hunt monsters!" choice. I wonder if having this larger world means that they'll have readable books too. I want to read "The Conjunction of the Spheres" because I love the creation myths in these games. I eat that poo poo up.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I must be an idiot, but I can't find Novigrad on that map. Is it somewhere in Nilfgaard and therefore not shown? If so, the area we're going to is going to be loving huge.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ravenfood posted:

I must be an idiot, but I can't find Novigrad on that map. Is it somewhere in Nilfgaard and therefore not shown? If so, the area we're going to is going to be loving huge.

It's in Redania.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

It's in Redania.
Oh. Right above Oxenfurt. Well, if we're seeing that, I'm guessing all of Aedirn and Temeria gets hosed hard.

edit: vvvvv could just be a thing that happens after the invasion.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 7, 2013

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
They've mentioned No Man's Land (along with Skellige and Novigrad), and since only the first book is out and that deals a lot with Cintra... is that the No Man's Land? It would make sense, since it's close to Novigrad and the Skellige Islands. I didn't see no man's land on any of the maps I looked at.

edit^^^: I hadn't thought of that... that doesn't preclude it being Cintra though, since that was already wrecked previously.

Cityinthesea fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 7, 2013

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Jimbot posted:

I hope you can be more neutral in the third game. The choices in the second game were great, don't get me wrong, but I loved the first game's "Consult with racists or terrorists? gently caress no, I'm a witcher. I hunt monsters!" choice.

To be fair, it's not that so much that the devs didn't give the player a choice as that circumstances didn't give Geralt a choice. It's not the first time he's been in such a situation.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Eh siding with Roche and then saving Triss is essentially going neutral.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, the situation in both games is actually very similar. At around the midpoint in both games you have to make a choice between the two sides (the bank heist in Witcher 1), and then you get another choice towards the ends of the games that each contain a neutral option.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 7, 2013

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I just bought this game and it seems pretty cool so far. I was wondering if anyone happened to know of a mod that removes the cooldown on your amulet? The thing that happens when you push z.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Jimbot posted:

I hope you can be more neutral in the third game. The choices in the second game were great, don't get me wrong, but I loved the first game's "Consult with racists or terrorists? gently caress no, I'm a witcher. I hunt monsters!" choice. I wonder if having this larger world means that they'll have readable books too. I want to read "The Conjunction of the Spheres" because I love the creation myths in these games. I eat that poo poo up.

It's not really Geralt's style to be neutral. He likes to talk about being neutral and his motives are personal at their core, but he ALWAYS gets dragged into poo poo and has to pick a side. Usually it's the side that ends with him banging a sorceress.

I seem to recall Dandelion even mentions this in one of the journal entries.

nohopeindope
Aug 24, 2004
Got Oil?
I played up to Act 3 on my xbox but then switched to PC gaming. I recently bought this game on sale and I'm looking to give it another shot. Can one of you give me a save at the beginning of the Roche path? I've never tried it and I'm curious what it's like. I really don't feel like playing through the prologue again.

Thanks

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Game Informer has an interview with the director and lead quest designer. It's nice to see them being so upfront about the percieved failings of the previous game. They mention Gothic as a guideline for how they want to handle the open world aspects of the game.

Don't know if the two are brothers (they have the same surname).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Game Informer has an interview with the director and lead quest designer. It's nice to see them being so upfront about the percieved failings of the previous game. They mention Gothic as a guideline for how they want to handle the open world aspects of the game.

Oooh. There goes the mainstream enthusiast press's good review scores. Many will keep bashing their head against the Shadowbesat that's in the dark, death forest to the west of the starting area, turn the game off then BS their way through the review.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Rinkles posted:

How dare they suggest that there are any flaws in W2?! But yeah, the combat changes sounds good, especially if they manage to resolve the input blocking problem which persists to this day.

As for the names, I'm just going to assume that Tomaszkiewicz is as common in Poland as Smith is in the US.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Or maybe it's a crazy coincidence like John and Adrian Carmack.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Rinkles posted:

Can anyone summarize the salient points for those who can't watch the video?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rinkles posted:

The Poglisz, it burns. Just hire a PR person who can speak English, jeez.

Yeah, Gothic as inspiration is great.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Megazver posted:

The Poglisz, it burns. Just hire a PR person who can speak English, jeez.

I would take this job so fast. CDPR seems like good folks.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Cityinthesea posted:

They've mentioned No Man's Land (along with Skellige and Novigrad), and since only the first book is out and that deals a lot with Cintra... is that the No Man's Land? It would make sense, since it's close to Novigrad and the Skellige Islands. I didn't see no man's land on any of the maps I looked at.

There are fan translations of the other books online.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Can anyone summarize the salient points for those who can't watch the video?

I'm sure I missed some stuff but

Story in W3 will be more personal
Story-driven open-world RPG
More freedom

Complaints from W2 that are being addressed in W3:
- Not enough side quests
- Sequencing moves in combat (fixed this)
- Trouble targeting enemies (new target system in development)
- Poorly explained tutorial (better W3 tutorial)
- Act 3 was too short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
So I think I'm about to finish the Prologue, but I can't kill the executioner. No matter how many hits he takes, his health remains at 0, and he continues to fight. Should I just restart the whole game? So far, none of my reloaded saves have fixed the issue. And if so, I really hope that doesn't happen when I'm further into the game.

• Locked thread