Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
More Lego City Undercover footage, in case anyone cares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzyBIJUSYbg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

More Lego City Undercover footage, in case anyone cares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzyBIJUSYbg

Lego GTA looks pretty fun. Gonna play that game.

That's soon, right? April?

E: March 18. Cool.

Paper_Masochist
Oct 21, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

Lego GTA looks pretty fun. Gonna play that game.

That's soon, right? April?

E: March 18. Cool.

Lego Sleeping Dogs :colbert:

I'm so drat exited for it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Sly Pistachio posted:

I made a compilation of some of the best responses I saw posted in the Uplay community on Miiverse. This is some of the most fun I've had with my Wii U in weeks.

Thumbnail (click)

I'm pretty sure this is already more entertaining than the game itself would have been. So actually, it's not that bad!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
There was a very detailed drawing of "UBISHIT" that I caught a glimpse of before it got deleted that was hilarious.

I know it's dumb complaining about games being released on a system that is having a post launch drought, but having Monster Hunter, Lego City and Need for Speed: Most Wanted all released within a day of each other is annoying. I guess they are different enough from each other that it's something for everyone, but as someone who wants to play all 3 it would have been nice to have one out last month and one out this month now that Rayman is gone.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

katkillad2 posted:

I know it's dumb complaining about games being released on a system that is having a post launch drought, but having Monster Hunter, Lego City and Need for Speed: Most Wanted all released within a day of each other is annoying. I guess they are different enough from each other that it's something for everyone, but as someone who wants to play all 3 it would have been nice to have one out last month and one out this month now that Rayman is gone.

Not to state the obvious but couldn't you just pace the way you play them?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Not to state the obvious but couldn't you just pace the way you play them?

Monster Hunter will be a 200+ hour experience more than likely, meaning I can probably go until this next holiday season without needing another game. ( I'm coming up with that estimate in comparison to how many hours I personally put into Tri. ) Aside from playing balloon fight and checking the Miiverse out my Wii U has been unused from the beginning of January and will continue to be until March 19th.

So yea I will be pacing the way I play them, i'll probably pick them up later in the year and probably for a cheaper price by then which is nice, but releasing a solid game during a game drought and having the entire month to yourself seems like a better idea than releasing 3 solid games within a day of each other.

Edit: Also by the time I play NFS the online community will probably be dead :smith:

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 9, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
It'd be nice if NFS was pushed up...supposedly it was finished back with the rest of the versions but held back in hopes people would buy it again or something :psyduck: (but at least it wasn't announced and pushed back right before release). Then again I guess it might make sense if they meant to take advantage of the current drought for Wii U only owners. On the plus side hopefully they used the extra dev time to make sure it's a good port*, and it'll be coming with some DLC pack included.

*I'm sure EA would spend the extra time and money for that :laugh:...:smith:.

In other sort of but not really news, Monolith did a little internal interview, I guess their own version of Iwata Asks:
http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/special/interview/vol11/vol11_1.html
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/02/08/monolith-soft-discuss-their-closer-relationship-with-nintendo/
Going by Siliconera's summary I guess the interview is basically saying "we're BFFs with Nintendo."

japtor fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 9, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Any of you unemployed?

BECAUSE UBISOFT IS LOOKING FOR A NEW PUBLIC RELATIONS MANAGER!!

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/ubisoft-looking-for-new-public-relations-manager

ahahahahahahahahahaha They hosed up real bad.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I can think of a simple action they could do in lieu of hiring a whole new person. It would actually improve their PR more than any PR guy could ever do!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Holy poo poo, big props to Sly Pistachio for those pics. That's loving incredible. I hope it stays on the front page forever.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

I can think of a simple action they could do in lieu of hiring a whole new person. It would actually improve their PR more than any PR guy could ever do!

Shooting themselves in the foot by releasing one version of a multiplatform game early, gouging their sales in the long run, to please a vocal minority on the internet that will inevitably chastise them for not doing everything in their power to make the game sell better?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sly Pistachio posted:

I made a compilation of some of the best responses I saw posted in the Uplay community on Miiverse. This is some of the most fun I've had with my Wii U in weeks.

Thumbnail (click)

Aw man mine's not there

I mean thinking about it mine isn't too good but still.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

StevenM posted:

gouging their sales in the long run

This sounds pretty unsubstantiated to me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If the majority of a multiplatform game's sales happen on the brand new system that's been out for less than a year, something's gone way wrong.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

One thing this whole mess made me realize is that people apparently think the next PS/Xbox will actually come out this year. I wasn't aware of that and I can't see it happening at all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can see them releasing this November. Doesn't mean they'll have any worthwhile games for a while though. Gotta remember that PS3 and Wii came out in 2006. The passing years kinda sneak up on you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I can see releasing them this next Christmas. Things will ramp up quickly.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Katana Gomai posted:

One thing this whole mess made me realize is that people apparently think the next PS/Xbox will actually come out this year. I wasn't aware of that and I can't see it happening at all.

Microsoft did suddenly release the Xbox Slim on everybody, a week after it was announced. I can see them doing something that stupid again.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sony announced and released their last platform in the span of a year (in Japan). They can probably do it again.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Is there something I'm missing about the new Rayman games? I always see people saying that "it's fantastic" without saying why. What exactly makes it so good? I've never owned it myself but I've played a bit of it I don't find it that special.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Widdiful posted:

Is there something I'm missing about the new Rayman games? I always see people saying that "it's fantastic" without saying why. What exactly makes it so good? I've never owned it myself but I've played a bit of it I don't find it that special.

Rayman Origins is a beautiful, fast, tight, and occasionally challenging platformer with terrific level design and a bunch of stuff to do. It's just a really well-designed package that I loved enough to 100% on 2 different consoles.

While the NSMB series has generally bored me to death, Rayman made me appreciate 2d platforming again :allears:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Widdiful posted:

I assume you're talking about Origins. Personally, I like the artstyle and the level design. Especially the artstyle. Cel-shaded cartoony graphics just appeal to me, I guess. The levels offer a nice variety, and the checkpoint system is very forgiving. gently caress up a jump? That's ok, just go back to the beginning of the room. I also like the controls. Everything feels very fluid. Oh, plus the game's sense of humor. It's so wacky and nonsensical. I dunno. It's just a fun game. What more can I say?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Katana Gomai posted:

One will absolutely come out. Probably the Xbox. The PlayStation? Rumor has it they've hit manufacturing problems and will either not make it this year or will make it in very limited numbers (and thus possibly only in Japan) and do a proper worldwide launch early next year. But either way everyone's been spinning their wheels for too long and the next generation will kick off within the next year. Big rollout at E3, launch by Thanksgiving / Christmas.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Widdiful posted:

That's what's so funny about the fan backlash to me. Origins was a competent game, but Rayman has never been a system seller or a AAA title or whatever you would want to call it. It can be fun, but my life wouldn't be any less fulfilling if I had passed it over completely. Wii U owners aren't losing anything by having Legends ported over, and 360/PS3 owners aren't really gaining anything either, other than another semi-decent platformer that will be forgotten and relegated to the discount bins two months following its release.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Almost Smart posted:

That's what's so funny about the fan backlash to me. Origins was a competent game, but Rayman has never been a system seller or a AAA title or whatever you would want to call it. It can be fun, but my life wouldn't be any less fulfilling if I had passed it over completely. Wii U owners aren't losing anything by having Legends ported over, and 360/PS3 owners aren't really gaining anything either, other than another semi-decent platformer that will be forgotten and relegated to the discount bins two months following its release.

Perhaps the people that are annoyed at the delay think Origins was better than "competent"? Maybe they think it was a fantastic game and were really looking forward to the sequel? Who knows.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bland posted:

Perhaps the people that are annoyed at the delay think Origins was better than "competent"? Maybe they think it was a fantastic game and were really looking forward to the sequel? Who knows.

Rayman origins is the best platformer I've ever played, it is incredible.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bland posted:

There are a number of folks out there who did buy Origins on other platforms who were going to be shut out of the sequel had Nintendo managed to keep it exclusive, most of whom did not buy a Wii U just because they wanted to play the sequel to one game. People tend to forget that there was a pretty negative reaction to it being named as a Wii U exclusive.

That doesn't make the situation any less stupid, mind you. It'd be better (for Wii U owners) if they released the Wii U version now, seeing as how it's apparently done and it kinda is the showcase game of the system right now, showing how the Gamepad features can work with the rest of a "hardcore" (i guess?) game in a fairly seemless fashion. Ubi seems to think that they'd lose less money if they only have to market the game once, though. I can see how they'd believe that, given perceptions of the Wii U's install base not being big enough right now (after such a recent release).

I think Ubi KNOWS that Rayman isn't a system seller. It never was. Restricting it to one platform was never a good idea for them, it's as bad an idea as delaying the finished Wii U version for seven months.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Widdiful posted:

Slick graphics, great music, tight controls, amazing level design. That pretty much describes Rayman Origins

InternetBully
Mar 17, 2004
I bully, on the internet.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I'm hoping we'll see some games that haven't been on the Virtual Console previously, like the Super Nintendo version of Yoshi's Island...
Sorry to dredge this back up but I've been wondering this for a while now, has Nintendo ever said why Yoshi's Island hasn't already made it onto the Wii Virtual Console?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

InternetBully posted:

Sorry to dredge this back up but I've been wondering this for a while now, has Nintendo ever said why Yoshi's Island hasn't already made it onto the Wii Virtual Console?

Either because it's pretty hard to emulate properly or because they didn't feel like it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bland posted:

Considering the current release schedule I think a lot of people would've been happy for a competent new game vs almost nothing.

(When the hell is Zen Pinball coming out in the US :colbert:)

Katana Gomai posted:

Either because it's pretty hard to emulate properly or because they didn't feel like it.
Have any SuperFX games come out on VC?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

japtor posted:

Have any SuperFX games come out on VC?

No, but they have been ported to the Gameboy Advance.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
If the GBA could handle Yoshi's Island though surely the Wii/Wii U can?

I think it's more because most of the Super FX games either aren't that good or popular (Vortex, Dirt Racer) would have licensing complications (Doom), or are being held because they're kicking around ideas for sequels or reboots (Star Fox, Yoshi's Iland's DS releases). I don't know anything about Virtual Console sales numbers but they probably just figured it not worth it. The Virtual Console does have other games with special chips in them like say Mega Man X2 that run flawlessly, so I don't think it's a technical issue.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm sure they had to rework the game in some way for the GBA that didn't involve the Super FX chip. In fact, I'm guessing one of the reason the Wii U Virtual Console is going to feature GBA games is so they can throw the GBA version of Yoshi's Island out there instead of figuring out how to run Super FX chip games on their emulator.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Almost Smart posted:

Origins was a competent game, but Rayman has never been a system seller or a AAA title or whatever you would want to call it.

See, I thought this too, but apparently the original Rayman sold over five million copies in the UK. What the gently caress?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Neo Rasa posted:

I think it's more because most of the Super FX games either aren't that good or popular (Vortex, Dirt Racer) would have licensing complications (Doom), or are being held because they're kicking around ideas for sequels or reboots (Star Fox, Yoshi's Iland's DS releases). I don't know anything about Virtual Console sales numbers but they probably just figured it not worth it. The Virtual Console does have other games with special chips in them like say Mega Man X2 that run flawlessly, so I don't think it's a technical issue.

See, that's the thing. The GBA couldn't handle Yoshi's Island. It's missing a lot of screen effects (compare Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy and the boss intros on both versions) and the frame rate chugs in places the SNES didn't (see basically any time you broke a box with stars in it).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm sure they had to rework the game in some way for the GBA that didn't involve the Super FX chip. In fact, I'm guessing one of the reason the Wii U Virtual Console is going to feature GBA games is so they can throw the GBA version of Yoshi's Island out there instead of figuring out how to run Super FX chip games on their emulator.
Yeah it was tweaked a bit. I never played through the original, but I remember a bunch of complaining about the Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy stage. The level transform effect in the original is a lot nicer (from what I've seen in videos at least), it looks pretty lovely on the GBA in comparison.

(efb)

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

StevenM posted:

Shooting themselves in the foot by releasing one version of a multiplatform game early, gouging their sales in the long run, to please a vocal minority on the internet that will inevitably chastise them for not doing everything in their power to make the game sell better?

Releasing the Wii U version now and the Ps3/360 version 7 months from now would have had little to no negative impact on their total sales let alone "gouging" them. That's implying people wouldn't buy a game out of spite because it wasn't released on all platforms at the same time. I hardly doubt games like Metal Gear being released on 360 or Dark Souls being released on PC lost sales somehow because the original game wasn't multiplatform to begin with.

With this decision, they are still going to get the same amount of Ps3/360 sales, while sacrificing what could have been impressive sales by Wii U owners in a game drought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

katkillad2 posted:

Releasing the Wii U version now and the Ps3/360 version 7 months from now would have had little to no negative impact on their total sales let alone "gouging" them. That's implying people wouldn't buy a game out of spite because it wasn't released on all platforms at the same time.

What he's implying is if RL is released now on the Wii U, it will be $20 or cheaper used on that console when the 360/PS3 versions drop in September, where it would presumably launch at full price. Then a PS3 owner is holding his version of the game and looking at the cheaper Wii U version. He buys neither, because gently caress it, why would he pay full price for a game when it's on a system he doesn't have for 1/3 of the price.

That is the negative impact.

• Locked thread