Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Ditch posted:

KENTA is the NEW GHC heavyweight champion
I cannot say I didn't see this coming but He still seems so tiny compared to previous GHC Heavyweight champions. Especially the man he won it from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Flameingblack posted:

I cannot say I didn't see this coming but He still seems so tiny compared to previous GHC Heavyweight champions. Especially the man he won it from

He's considered a good draw, isn't he? I'm not sure how desperate NOAH are for a popular champion, but is this a desperate final attempt to stay afloat? Perhaps a rematch with Kobashi would be considered, but I have no idea what Kobashi wants for his final match, like everyone else.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Nobody in NOAH is a good draw, except for the guy who retires next month.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
IVP has a Best Of La Parka comp for free right now, for once it's not puro footage but all late 80s / early 90s lucha.

quote:

La Parka, Ice Killer & Karis La Momia vs. Solar I, Volador & Misterioso
La Parka, El Espanto Jr. & El Sicodelico vs. Konnan El Barbaro, Octagon & El Hijo Del Santo
La Parka, Rambo & Blue Panther vs. Solar I, Angel Azteca & Super Astro
La Parka, Sicodelico & Espanto Jr. vs. Konnan, Octagon & El Hijo Del Santo
La Parka, Rambo & Ice Killer vs. Angel Azteca, Panterita del Ring & Galactico
La Parka, El Expectro & Kharis La Momia vs. Solar, Angel Azteca & Super Muneco

http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=9924

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

About loving time, NOAH.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

http://theditch.biz/BestOf2000s.xls

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
DDT Pro had an "rear end Kiss Death Match" Betwen Danshoku Dino & some poor victim. What is that, you ask? Four men stand on the turnbuckles with their asses hanging out and the two men in the ring must kiss all four asses consecutively? Actually I don't have a goddamn clue. It was tweeted by Kikutaro. Also note the photographers also have their asses hanging out. :wtc:

http://a.yfrog.com/img619/5264/zrpcbh.jpg :nws:

:japan:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I don't see anyone in the crowd. Are you sure it was DDT?

Also those aren't photogs, they're corner guys/wrestlers.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

What in the gently caress

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ditch posted:

Kikutaro told me it was a DDT New Year's party which could mean it was a private show for wrestler's friends.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ditch posted:

Kikutaro told me it was a DDT New Year's party which could mean it was a private show for wrestler's friends.

e: what in the hell

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Oh man I wanna participate!!!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

I thought you quoted the rear end match photo for a second there and was like :wtc:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

HulkaMatt posted:

Until I find something better, KENTA vs Kotaro Suzuki is still my favorite Puro match from the 00's.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Flameingblack posted:

Until I find something better, KENTA vs Kotaro Suzuki is still my favorite Puro match from the 00's.

KENTA's first GHC junior belt defense against SUWA is better.

I miss SUWA :smith:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
KENTA vs Kotaro is good but the first half doesn't hold up IMO, certainly not compared to the very best of the decade. But then that's why I'm doing the vote; to see what holds up and what doesn't.

re SUWA:
There is a rumor that SUWA is wrestling in NOAH as "Maybach Taniguchi Jr.", which of course would lead to a big unveiling down the line

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Best of 2000s posted:

Do Fixer vs M2K, Toryumon June 29th

I think this match is massively underrated and one of the best that Toryumon ever put on. It has a pretty good story centering around Arai's broken hand on top of the great spotfest stuff.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
:edit:

Ishin fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 4, 2013

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I think this match is massively underrated and one of the best that Toryumon ever put on. It has a pretty good story centering around Arai's broken hand on top of the great spotfest stuff.
Definitely in my top 10 for Toryumon/DG of the decade, maybe top 5.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
This week's free IVP Download is the Best of Bruno Sammartino

code:
1.Bruno/Hurricane Calypso (aka Cyclone negro) vs Giant Baba/Anton Geesnik
2.Bruno vs Giant Baba (Hour Long Match!)
3.Bruno/Giant Baba vs Tiger Jeet Singh/ Ueda (aka Mr.Ito)
4.Bruno vs Bruiser Brody (very rare Japan match)
5.Bruno/Giant Baba vs Harley Race/Buck Robley (very rare Japan match)
http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=9939

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I imagine Bruno/Baba has a bearhug spot longer than the Andre/Hogan one.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

weekly font posted:

I imagine Bruno/Baba has a bearhug spot longer than the Andre/Hogan one.

if its the era I'm thinking of, each match will be a case study in how to use a headlock like a submission hold.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKunYNNNm5Y

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
That Bruno/Baba match is legit good y'all.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

so many forgotten waves
Ditch is there a reason NJPW SSS 1999 seems impossible to find anything from? I've only ever seen the entrances for Onita/Chono which is amazing and makes me want to see the rest of the show.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
IVP has it.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

so many forgotten waves

Ditch posted:

IVP has it.

Oh poo poo, I didn't even notice, thanks. Is that show worth it or am I just being lured in by Onita sitting in the aisle smoking and ChonoHummer?

Ishin fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 6, 2013

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I don't think any of the matches are outstanding. I mean, Chono/Onita is clearly going to peak at the entrances; main event is Inoki-style bad shoot crap; Liger tag is held back by Kashin; TenKoji vs Nagata/Nakanishi is before those guys were consistently good, etc.

The highlight is Fujita obliterating Ishikawa, which you can find in this clip set: http://theditch.us/puroset4.rar

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Ditch posted:

That Bruno/Baba match is legit good y'all.

What are some old Baba matches you'd recommend since it seems like what most people are familiar with is the '80s and on when he started becoming broken down.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
March '67 vs Bruno
March '69 vs Destroyer
July '76 vs Robinson
December '78, Baba & Jumbo vs The Funks

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

That tag match especially. I was amazed how well it aged.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
That's because prime Terry Funk was the funking man.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Suben posted:

What are some old Baba matches you'd recommend since it seems like what most people are familiar with is the '80s and on when he started becoming broken down.

I've watched some Baba but the only thing I think of when his name comes up is his commentary. It tends to sound like, "Ohhh Hibbu Hubbu". Hard to put in text. The best voice ever. I have no idea if he was considered good for Japanese PBP but if I don't hear him on an All Japan match I get sad.

But yeah, Jumbo/Baba vs. The Funks is fantastic. I have a hard time thinking about a Jumbo match I didn't like, and if I had to name it, it'd be his match with Cactus Jack that Foley claims Jumbo didn't sell for him in. gently caress you, Foley.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Ditch posted:

March '69 vs Destroyer

Watched this while snowed in this morning and HOLY CRAP it was good. It was both what I was expecting (and wanted) and full of surprising moments. Destroyer is way more athletic and charismatic than I was expecting. That, and the fact that he's from Upstate New York, has him on the fast track to becoming my new favorite old school wrestler. Baba is definitely good too and his excellent blade job really took the match to another level (and totally works within the psychology of the match and is no way superfluous). But to me it's The Destroyer who I now want to see more of.

Which leads me to ask: Ditch, what are some other examples of Destroyer greatness?

If you're a fan of the early Puro style then this is a must-see.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Add me to the list of people who recently watched one of those matches and was blown away. It's impossible to put to words how great that Baba/Bruno singles match is.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ditch posted:

That's because prime Terry Funk was the funking man.

Truth right here.

I mean, he's obviously way more famous for his brawling and hardcore stuff, but in his younger days, he was a fantastic mat worker.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Destroyer:
vs Mascaras from '74
vs Don Leo Jonathan from '75

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The Destroyer is also one of my favourite old school wrestlers. Only wrestler to ever use the figure four leglock properly.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The Destroyer has a book out, has anyone read it? I have a huge book backlog but I'll get to it at some point. You can also pick up a bobblehead or sweatshirt while you're there: http://www.thedestroyer.com/shop/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Bought the book but haven't gotten to it yet.