Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori would stay up forever if he could get away with it, but nowadays he'll at least go almost straight to sleep when covered instead of climbing around bitching for an hour. He doesn't bother moving in the mornings either, maybe goes to eat something, then goes back to sleep until he's uncovered. He's covered for 12-14 hours because of hormones and seems to be okay with it.

I don't think Steve moves the entire time he's covered, and as soon as the towels come out (cage covers), he climbs up to his perch ready.

Neither of them show behaviour along the lines of "it is time for bed now", even if they get covered a bit later than usual.

E: Recent shower photos:

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Battle Pigeon posted:

Those primary and tail feathers are so pretty. Wanna paint a sun conure (some day)

Feel free to post photographic evidence! I wonder what a chicken on the shoulder is like. Do they just chill there, or try and preen your hair and ears too?

They kinda chill there, and then try to eat my earrings and peck at the mole on my cheek. I've never seen them try to preen my hair, the chickens who try to perch on my just sit there, and with Waffle she sometimes dozes off.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

alucinor posted:

I think I've read that wild 'toos tend to start congregating in the roosting area a couple hours before dark. They scream "HEY EVERYBODY GET BACK HERE IT'S ALMOST BEDTIME". They preen and socialize till shortly before sunset then everybody goes quiet. So it's probably innate behavior.

Both my goffin and my mom's umbrella start screaming for bedtime by about 330. Mom's bird gets up at 6 and goes to bed by 330, my guy gets up at 7 and goes at 430 if I'm home from work. On days I'm working out of the house I get home around 630, so he has a dark corner in his cage draped in dark cloth (his "bedroom") and his light is on a timer to go out at 430. He goes in his bedroom as soon as the timer goes off, then when I get home we have dinner/cuddle time, and within 20 minutes he's telling me it's bedtime again.

When I kept him up later in the evenings he was much, much more shouty the rest of the day. If he gets his bedtime when he wants it, he's usually quiet as mouse most of the day. The goffin is 18 years old and the umbrella even older, so it's not just a puberty thing.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I figure there's no harm in abruptly shortening yelling o'clock. Good to know it's normal for my great white idiot and his ilk.

e: Here thread, enjoy.

Only at half 'stache because oh god is that a camera!?

Eejit fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 8, 2013

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Archer does his annoying car alarm call at around 10 PM and the ladytiels will wark until I turn the light off. Charlie just falls asleep when he's tired and doesn't make a big deal about it.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

My mom got home late from work one night exhausted. She walked right past the livingroom where I was sitting with Zoe and up to bed. Zoe was pissed. He hollered until I yelled at her to come back down and say goodnight to him. He was appeased.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
My seven year old cockatiels usually know when it's bedtime. Around 8, they'll saunter back in their cage (if they're lazy, they'll sit on top of it and wait for me to put them in) and puff up and twist their head around.

Although since I started my new job two months ago, my female has taken to sleeping in the food dish which means I need to add another five minutes to my morning to clean and refill it :mad:

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Battle Pigeon posted:

I love Fred's old man cockatiel look. Did his back toes always point forward like in the first two photos?

I'm not sure what the deal was with his toes. When I had the x-rays done on him when he was ill, the vet told me one of the things she noticed was that his leg bones were sort of bowed out, but smooth, like he had not gotten enough nutrition when he was a super young bird, but then he grew up and got better. She said whatever it was happened a long time ago, and he never acted weird about it, but it showed me what a little fighter he was.

Fred used to always hate it when I slept. I don't know why, because the last 5 years most of what he did was sleep anyways. But if he was awake and I wasn't, there was hell to pay. Dealing with the roommate & eviction crap has been sucky since I haven't had a chance to mourn Fred's passing, but I was hanging out in the local pub the other night looking at pictures of him until I got too teary-eyed to stay. I went home, went to sleep, then woke up and saw this photo the next morning on my phone. It's Fred when I put him up on a shelf over my bed so he could look down on me while I napped. He seemed to enjoy it.

Fred was also very active in politics. On election day I took this picture of him and told my friends he was running for every available write-in position, so we would write him in for positions we didn't know enough about to vote for. I'm not sure how many votes he got but I imagine it was more than most cockatiels.

In a way, I'm glad he passed when he did. I'd hate to have him being ill while I'm dealing with more eviction drama. I have a feeling he would have tried to hold on longer until he saw me able to settle comfortably again, but I'm glad he was able to pass peacefully when he did. The Bay Area Bird Hospital sent me a nice card, and I still like to pass by the spot on the Golden Gate Bridge where I spread his ashes.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?
Pumpkin will tell you when it's time for bed, and when he (or she, gently caress it at this point who knows what Pumpkin is) is up and ready to start the day. Around 7-8pm each night Pumpkin will get very cranky and scream his head off until I come in and cover the cage. Cinni sometimes joins in, but I like to think she's telling Pumpkin to shut up :3: On days I have work, I have the birds uncovered and set for the day by 8:30am. During my off days, I like to sleep in and I've been getting up between 10-11am. Pumpkin knows it's past his usual wakeup time and will again scream nonstop as soon as he hears my footsteps.

Cinni is the opposite and is very patient and flexible with my schedules. I guess getting her when I was still in college helped. The only time she screams is if it's super late and she's obviously tired, or if someone forgets to close the blinds and the morning sunlight wakes her.

WorldWarWonderful posted:

my female has taken to sleeping in the food dish which means I need to add another five minutes to my morning to clean and refill it :mad:

Cinni used to do this all the time with her water dish; she would sleep on the lid and often spend the day just perched on it. I would often come home from from class or wake up to find cockatiel poop soup. It was annoying and finally stopped once I took away the lid. This is also why I only leave treat bowls in the cage during the day. Both Cinni and Pumpkin think treat bowls are the most comfiest nests ever...that also double as a toilet :derptiel: Cockatiels have no meaning of the phrase "don't poo poo where you eat".

EDIT: Well, speak of the devil. Pumpkin is telling me in his graceful cockatiel language, "Yo, bitch! I'm tired cover my cage already! PEEEEEEP! PEEEEEEEEEP I tell you! I'M TIRED!!"

BigGayLogan fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 9, 2013

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012

Eejit posted:

So in the past few months my 'too has developed a weird pattern. Usually a little before 5pm, he starts screaming and basically won't stop. So we throw in his corn, cover him, and he shuts up and eats dinner. Later on we'll swap out the corn or peas or whatever veggies we gave him for pellets and he sleeps through the night. When we uncover him in the morning, he's happy and a normal bird.

My Ekkie does this all the time right before sunset (about 7:30pm here, summer!), and it's apparently pretty normal for them. It scares the hell out of me especially when she's inside and she'll suddenly yell at everyone, but we're pretty used to it now and just throw her either into the cage or cuddle her for a bit. She REALLY loves head scratches while pressed against your chest right before bed time, and tends to get cranky when we don't do it. Parrots!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Does anyone know of anywhere online that sells Harrison's, and delivers internationally for free? Or any other suitable pellets. I'd like to convert Steve to Harrison's, as he's so picky about eating anything other than seeds, but there are no suppliers here. The avian vet might have samples or a bag, but she's only available for a few hours a week and we can't get there on time this or next week.

bassguitarhero posted:

Fred used to always hate it when I slept. I don't know why, because the last 5 years most of what he did was sleep anyways. But if he was awake and I wasn't, there was hell to pay. Dealing with the roommate & eviction crap has been sucky since I haven't had a chance to mourn Fred's passing, but I was hanging out in the local pub the other night looking at pictures of him until I got too teary-eyed to stay. I went home, went to sleep, then woke up and saw this photo the next morning on my phone. It's Fred when I put him up on a shelf over my bed so he could look down on me while I napped. He seemed to enjoy it.

Aww. I bet he loved it, and you for doing it. :unsmith:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So as much as I've loved Dr. Byhrd (male 1 year old cockatiel) for the short time I've had him, it looks like that might be coming to an abrupt end. I got home yesterday and he was breathing really hard. He still wanted to be on my shoulder and nuzzle under my ear, but his little tweets and sounds were labored. I took him to the vet immediately (after chatting real briefly with my wife who is a small animal vet herself) and they did all sorts of tests but still have no clue as to what is going on. He had a lot of fluid, low specific gravity and not in the lungs. His heart looks fine on an ultrasound, but there's a weird mushy lump near his liver that may or may not be part of his intestines. They're planning on doing barium tests on Monday to figure out more.

Unfortunately I'm out of town while that goes on so I'm gonna be hearing about it secondhand. Not sure if I'm gonna ever be up for getting another bird if he doesn't pull through.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Visited Jerry today, and his wonderful assistant who helped us out on her day off. Meet our new pet Mindo! (Or as we're referring to him with our parents: their new grand child.)

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SquadronROE posted:

So as much as I've loved Dr. Byhrd (male 1 year old cockatiel) for the short time I've had him, it looks like that might be coming to an abrupt end. I got home yesterday and he was breathing really hard. He still wanted to be on my shoulder and nuzzle under my ear, but his little tweets and sounds were labored. I took him to the vet immediately (after chatting real briefly with my wife who is a small animal vet herself) and they did all sorts of tests but still have no clue as to what is going on. He had a lot of fluid, low specific gravity and not in the lungs. His heart looks fine on an ultrasound, but there's a weird mushy lump near his liver that may or may not be part of his intestines. They're planning on doing barium tests on Monday to figure out more.

Unfortunately I'm out of town while that goes on so I'm gonna be hearing about it secondhand. Not sure if I'm gonna ever be up for getting another bird if he doesn't pull through.

I hope the little guy pulls through!

The same thing happened to my first cockatiel. She couldn't really wark and even though they gave her a nebulizer but she was too far gone and died like two days later. It sucked since she was just over a year old. :smith:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I hope the little guy pulls through!

The same thing happened to my first cockatiel. She couldn't really wark and even though they gave her a nebulizer but she was too far gone and died like two days later. It sucked since she was just over a year old. :smith:

I hope so too. Even the vet says he's a really sweet little bird. When I took him there, he stepped right up on the tech's finger and was curiously tweetle-ing away, despite probably being in quite a bit of pain. Sucks.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

H110Hawk posted:

Visited Jerry today, and his wonderful assistant who helped us out on her day off. Meet our new pet Mindo! (Or as we're referring to him with our parents: their new grand child.)

What is this guy, he looks awesome! Also that picture his an incredible amount of, "what are you lookin' at," going on, I love it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Eejit posted:

What is this guy, he looks awesome! Also that picture his an incredible amount of, "what are you lookin' at," going on, I love it.

He is a Green Aracari from Emerald Forest Birds. He's chilling out in his new home now taking in the surroundings. He's been jumping to a perch then examining everything around him, then eventually going to the next one. He's already eaten some food after eying everything suspiciously for a few minutes. Over the past few hours he's already gotten a lot more active, flying around and exploring his various perches.

http://www.emeraldforestbirds.com/greena2.htm

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

H110Hawk posted:

This bird. I want this bird. :swoon:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Me too! Look at that big bill I want to snuggle my cheek on itttt

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Me too! Look at that big bill I want to snuggle my cheek on itttt

Wanna pet dat bird. He just looks so unimpressed in the first photo.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Battle Pigeon posted:

Wanna pet dat bird. He just looks so unimpressed in the first photo.

I think dubious is his general state of being. He hopped off our hands and I think regretted it. The smooth surface of the table meant he couldn't get purchase to hop. He could however poop like nobodies business.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

H110Hawk posted:

I think dubious is his general state of being. He hopped off our hands and I think regretted it. The smooth surface of the table meant he couldn't get purchase to hop. He could however poop like nobodies business.

Seriously, I love that bird. What kind of noises does he make / how loud is he? Also, how is his bite?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

How hard does he bite?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Eejit posted:

Seriously, I love that bird. What kind of noises does he make / how loud is he? Also, how is his bite?

We do too! :3: He's asleep right now, which is hilarious as he sleeps with his tail straight up and his head tucked sideways. We just opened the window so he would wake up, and the second the natural light hit him there were little aracari yawns. :3: We've also found out he looks like a dinosaur when he preens.

As far as how hard he bites: Ramphastid's (which is the family of softbilled birds: Toucan, Toucanette, and Aracari) actually have a very soft bill and bite. He cannot crush a grape or blueberry. We let him play with our fingers and it only is uncomfortable if they get your cuticle.

He makes little clicking-chirp noises, and sort of a beep noise. None of which are loud. We're going to try and get some of this on video in the coming days.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

He is so awesome! Was he hand raised, and are you able to handle him? Does he like fruit loops? That is seriously the coolest bird ever and I'm just a little jealous of you! You're going to have to post tons of pics and video or I'm pretty sure you're going to have a bunch of bird-crazies coming after you.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hannah can be a little snot, but at the end of the day, all he wants is to be with his family.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fart Puzzle posted:

He is so awesome! Was he hand raised, and are you able to handle him? Does he like fruit loops? That is seriously the coolest bird ever and I'm just a little jealous of you! You're going to have to post tons of pics and video or I'm pretty sure you're going to have a bunch of bird-crazies coming after you.

Yup! Hand raised. Fruit loops would likely be fatal as they are fortified with iron. He also can't swallow them really. They don't chew their food at all, just kinda use their beak like chopsticks, bang it around until it's the size they want, then toss it back. We'll try to get a video of it.

For now, enjoy him playing with my wife's hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XSVi1l3ddU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

that freakin bill :swoon:

Seriously look at the size of that thing! His beak's as big as a house and it must get in the way something fierce but he keeps rubbing his face all over her hand and aaaagggghhhh :kimchi:

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

H110Hawk posted:

Yup! Hand raised. Fruit loops would likely be fatal as they are fortified with iron. He also can't swallow them really. They don't chew their food at all, just kinda use their beak like chopsticks, bang it around until it's the size they want, then toss it back. We'll try to get a video of it.

Oh my GOOOOOOOD he's cute. :3:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

H110Hawk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XSVi1l3ddU

Ahhhhhhhh adorable :3: In case anyone is wondering, that is not how cockatoos "play" with hands.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

H110Hawk posted:

We had a pair of Stella Lorikeet. They do the same hopping but I think their poop is the worst. Since their diet is purely nectar with some fruit, their "poop" is much less dropped than it is squirted.

And since a lot of the sugar is not processed, anything the poop lands on dries sticky.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EVIR Gibson posted:

We had a pair of Stella Lorikeet. They do the same hopping but I think their poop is the worst. Since their diet is purely nectar with some fruit, their "poop" is much less dropped than it is squirted.

And since a lot of the sugar is not processed, anything the poop lands on dries sticky.

Here it's kind of a blend squirt/drop. You can certainly see what he's been eating in there, but it wipes up with a little vinegar water. Easier than my experiences with parrot-style poop which stains quite quickly.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

H110Hawk posted:

Here it's kind of a blend squirt/drop. You can certainly see what he's been eating in there, but it wipes up with a little vinegar water. Easier than my experiences with parrot-style poop which stains quite quickly.

On that note, anyone have a recommendation for a spot carpet cleaner for old pellet poop stains?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Pile of Kittens posted:

On that note, anyone have a recommendation for a spot carpet cleaner for old pellet poop stains?

http://www.wag.com/bird/p/earth-friendly-products-petastic-aviary-cage-cleaner-deodorizer-110406

I won a bottle of this at a bird club raffle, and it works very well. Basically water, citrus and poop breaking down enzymes.

I use it on carpet, my chair and the cages. Spray, wait a minute, wipe it off.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
A friend ordered bird food from this website (after that bad review a few pages back of a store) and I'm sold!
http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/

He said he got some human treats and toys so I decided why not, needed some harrisons anyway. It came today and it was in a nice paper bag with pink tissue paper wrapping my bird toys and cute gift wrap and indeed, a little baggie of free chinese fingertrap toys and chocolate :D
I know its not a big deal, but it stands out from other sites ive ordered from

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Hey bird crazies, I am looking to sell my Pak-O-Bird parrot backpack.

I made a thread in SA mart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533766

(Mods told me it was OK to post this)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

razz posted:

Hey bird crazies, I am looking to sell my Pak-O-Bird parrot backpack.

I made a thread in SA mart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533766

(Mods told me it was OK to post this)

PM'd about this :)

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
So I ran across this while poking around the internet, and thought ya'll bird folks might like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAjPEp1U8uI

It's a 'halfsider' parakeet, where one side is yellow/green and the other is blue/white. Pretty awesome looking little guy.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Oh my god am I late to the Aracari love? He looks so colourful and grumpy oh my god the birdshop near me has a back lined with cages of toucans and you just made it even more difficult for me to resist keeping one and snuggling his giant beak. :3:

Does he make the ridiculous toucan HONK HONK sound? Because that sound is adorable.

Deadly Chlorine fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 14, 2013

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

poo poo. It's not even 8AM and I just spent over a hundred dollars on my birds in that online store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It might be Valentine's Day but it's also Charlie the Senegal Parrot's hatch day! The little guy is now 2 years old. :yaycloud: