Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

SalTheBard posted:

I'm new to the whole rooting thing. I have the Galaxy Note 2, whats the best ROM to install? I'm a little scared about the whole wiping my entire phone thing but I have TWRP installed and have it backed up right now.
This is a rooted/zipaligned/deodexed rom which retains all the S-Pen & multiwindow stuff and optionally has some nice additional toggles and uses Aroma for a lot of other install options such as custom kernels (edit: this may have changed and you might need to go get your own kernel and flash it but no big deal). It's a significant step up from US Stock versions.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2016575

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Syrinxx posted:

This is a rooted/zipaligned/deodexed rom which retains all the S-Pen & multiwindow stuff and optionally has some nice additional toggles and uses Aroma for a lot of other install options such as custom kernels (edit: this may have changed and you might need to go get your own kernel and flash it but no big deal). It's a significant step up from US Stock versions.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2016575

O cool this is what I'm looking for, however I was wondering if this works with the Sprint version of the Note 2 (I'm sorry I should have specified that to begin with)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tunga posted:

What phone?

US Cellular GSIII.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

madkapitolist posted:

I am having a very strange issue. I've had my ATT S3 since launch day and was able to root it/ install CM within minutes and have been using it/ installing nightlies/ etc with nearly zero issues. Today I tried to root and install cm10 for my friend's fully stock ATT S3 and I followed this guide

http://galaxys3root.com/galaxy-s3-root/how-to-root-att-galaxy-s3-sgh-i747/

I was able to get root access with no problems (installed titanium backup to make sure it gave a root access request). However when I tried to flash the latest cm10 nightly, I was getting this error:

assert faild : getprop ("ro.product.device") == "d2att" I I getprop("ro.build.product") (status 7) Installation aborted.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Edit: VV Thanks I'll give that a shot. If it does not read d2att, will manually changing it fix this problem? Any idea why this happens in the first place?

Usually that only happens when it's not actually an AT&T S3, mine is a i-747M, which is a Canadian S3 that's identical to d2att except it's a d2can instead. In my case changing d2can to d2att was fine, but if it reads something else then it's probably not compatible with a d2att rom.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
So I checked the "ro.product.device == d2att" line and it indeed does read "d2att" but I am still getting that status 7 error, what else would cause it?

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 5, 2013

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

SalTheBard posted:

O cool this is what I'm looking for, however I was wondering if this works with the Sprint version of the Note 2 (I'm sorry I should have specified that to begin with)
I'm pretty sure some people are using that ROM on Sprint but just look carefully through the thread to make sure.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

madkapitolist posted:

So I checked the "ro.product.device == d2att" line and it indeed does read "d2att" but I am still getting that status 7 error, what else would cause it?

Status 7 can also be caused by having an out of date recovery. Try updating clockwork or twrp to the latest version.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Thanks for the tip, I've never tried twrp before but it looks much more impressive than CWM. Will give it a shot.

VVV: would failure to do so cause the status 7 error?

Update: Using twrp recovery/ goomanager was much smoother and everything worked out fine. Thanks for the tip goons.

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 6, 2013

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
You might need to update your SuperUser or SuperSU after updating your recovery, I can't remember.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

How feature complete/stable are the latest CM 10.1 nightlies?
For d2* they're pretty good. Bluetooth is in flux right now so YMMV. Last I checked wifi tether is broken on the regular kernel, but as it works in the experimental 3.4 kernel folks are trying to identify and backport an appropriate fix.

LTE/eHRPD handoff is a problem with the d2 series, the crux of the issue being whether the carrier requires IPv4/IPv6 dual-stack or supports IPv4 only. For example, Sprint and Verizon use the "opposite" setting, and while handoff is fine with the correct setting for either carrier it becomes awful if it's wrong.

In other words, if you're having handoff issues on a smaller carrier that CM has little LTE experience with, the settings could be off and you're encouraged to post an issue about it on CyangenMod's JIRA.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is there better information compiled anywhere in this thread? I see the OP's been banned for ages and nothing's been updated there since 2010.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
There's too many ROMs and devices for a single post to be really useful, outside of some really basic stuff you're better off just asking.

Basic root information that shouldn't go out of date

ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP. Nandroid can restore a phone exactly to a previous state, titanium backup for migrating apps/data across fresh installs.
CyanogenMod is good if it's available on your device. Close to stock android with improvements
AOKP is similar but with pink unicorns I guess?
ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP.
If you want to root/install roms get a nexus device
No you didn't brick your phone.
ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

THF13 posted:

There's too many ROMs and devices for a single post to be really useful, outside of some really basic stuff you're better off just asking.

Basic root information that shouldn't go out of date

ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP. Nandroid can restore a phone exactly to a previous state, titanium backup for migrating apps/data across fresh installs.
CyanogenMod is good if it's available on your device. Close to stock android with improvements
AOKP is similar but with pink unicorns I guess?
ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP.
If you want to root/install roms get a nexus device
No you didn't brick your phone.
ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP

My additions:

1. Always try to hunt down a stock image for your device. If you do something stupid (which you will, even by accident) you'll need a way to scrub your phone back to a factory fresh image.
2. Just pay for Titanium Backup. The batch feature alone is worth the price.
3. From 4.1 onwards you'd be surprised how well a stock-rooted phone can perform if you remove bloat and install the right apps.
4. If your backups reside on your phone, keep a copy on your PC or preferred Cloud Storage as well.
5. An unlocked bootloader is different from a SIM unlock which is different from rooting which is different from installing a ROM.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I was mostly looking for recommended things to get now that my phone's rooted, actually. A good guide to what bloat to remove + helpful apps would particularly be nice.

(I did want to try Cyanogen, but apparently basically nothing supports Kyocera Rise, a fact that absolutely SHOCKS me :v:)

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 9, 2013

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Bloat to remove is heavily dependent on phone and carrier. Getting Carbon or Titanium Backup should be tops on your list (and Carbon is usable without root too). After that AdAway.

Beyond that it's really up to what you want to do. Backups and ad removal are the main reasons to root beyond customizing the OS. And with Carbon out now you don't even need root for the backups most people use. App wise a lot of what used to be root only has non root options or is built in these days (like screenshots, app backups, and phone as a flashlight mentioned in the OP), so if you don't care about ad blocking or customizing the OS there's not much reason left to root. Of course I can't stand not having ad blocking, and that's one I'm not expecting no-root support for anytime soon besides maybe browser extensions which takes care of a fair amount of it.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 9, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
I rooted and installed 4.2.1, but it turns out that What'sApps vibrate on notification is broken. Has anyone gotten this before? Any app that would fix this?

Also I used Titanium Backup a few years ago on my Nexus One, never liked how it interacted with synced data to my Google account, I'd end up with duplicate contacts and other stuff.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I rooted and installed 4.2.1, but it turns out that What'sApps vibrate on notification is broken. Has anyone gotten this before? Any app that would fix this?

Also I used Titanium Backup a few years ago on my Nexus One, never liked how it interacted with synced data to my Google account, I'd end up with duplicate contacts and other stuff.
As I mentioned in the other thread where you asked, this is a 4.2 problem. You could install a ROM that fixes it.

I've used Titanium since 2010, it's never duplicated data. You were using it wrong.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You're never supposed to back up system apps and data with titanium.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

big mean giraffe posted:

You're never supposed to back up system apps and data with titanium.
This isn't actually true. You're just not supposed to restore them between different ROMs. And even then, the ones with green names usually work fine as long as you're not going between different Android versions numbers.

Edit: Well, some of the red name ones can be a bit odd even on the same ROM so those might be best avoided. Mostly that is stuff that you can sync from your account anyway.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Tunga posted:

Edit: Well, some of the red name ones can be a bit odd even on the same ROM so those might be best avoided. Mostly that is stuff that you can sync from your account anyway.

Exactly, there's almost no reason to restore system data. If you're using the same exact ROM you're probably trying to wipe and eliminate a problem anyways, which restoring system data won't help at all.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Okay, so maybe someone here can help me, because the XDA forums are written by people who assume everyone knows what's up.

I've gotten my AT&T SGS2 i777 rooted. I'm trying to figure out how to put CWM on there, but everything I get is either "use Odin!" which appears to have done nothing for me, just like when I tried to root it using that, or "use Rom Manager!" which the XDA forums all poo poo over themselves yelling at me to not use. And I'm told I definitely want to make a backup before I do anything else.

So what do I do?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Thanks mate. I'm using an aosp build though on a galaxy s. I'll poke through xda again and see what I can find, although I'd prefer to stay on base aosp.

Also wasn't the draw of Titanium making a full backup that you just hit a button and restore everything with no hassle.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Thanks mate. I'm using an aosp build though on a galaxy s. I'll poke through xda again and see what I can find, although I'd prefer to stay on base aosp.

Also wasn't the draw of Titanium making a full backup that you just hit a button and restore everything with no hassle.

That's what a NANDROID backup in recovery is for, when you're flashing a new ROM and want to make a total backup incase something fucks up. Titanium Backup is more useful for keeping all your apps and their data between new ROMs/phones.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

The Mattybee posted:

Okay, so maybe someone here can help me, because the XDA forums are written by people who assume everyone knows what's up.

I've gotten my AT&T SGS2 i777 rooted. I'm trying to figure out how to put CWM on there, but everything I get is either "use Odin!" which appears to have done nothing for me, just like when I tried to root it using that, or "use Rom Manager!" which the XDA forums all poo poo over themselves yelling at me to not use. And I'm told I definitely want to make a backup before I do anything else.

So what do I do?

First part of this page: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_i777

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

When I run Zadig.exe it straight up refuses to acknowledge that there is a device plugged in for my phone. It's been doing this ever since 4.0.4 was on my phone and there appears to be nothing I can do about it; my cables work with other devices, just not with the phone, and it's not an USB port issue since I've both tried other ports AND the cables as far as I know work with everything else - it's just that my phone WILL NOT connect to my PC for anything other than power charging. (thanks, AT&T and Samsung! really sweet update y'all released.)

EDIT: Also it frequently won't boot up into recovery OR download mode... it just boots as normal even though i'm holding Power + Volume (Up or Down, depending) + Home.

The Mattybee fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 9, 2013

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The Mattybee posted:

When I run Zadig.exe it straight up refuses to acknowledge that there is a device plugged in for my phone. It's been doing this ever since 4.0.4 was on my phone and there appears to be nothing I can do about it; my cables work with other devices, just not with the phone, and it's not an USB port issue since I've both tried other ports AND the cables as far as I know work with everything else - it's just that my phone WILL NOT connect to my PC for anything other than power charging. (thanks, AT&T and Samsung! really sweet update y'all released.)

EDIT: Also it frequently won't boot up into recovery OR download mode... it just boots as normal even though i'm holding Power + Volume (Up or Down, depending) + Home.

Sounds like you need the right drivers for your phone. Some have luck installing PDANet as it bundles the "correct" drivers.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Mattybee posted:

It's the drivers, install PDAnet.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Is there anything I need to do if I want to flash back to CM10 from 10.1 apart from the usual?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Warning to Nexus 4 cyanogen nightly users: i wouldn't use any nightly from the last week since cyanogen did some large updates after their gerrit server had its maintenance. I get random crashes, even while the phone is doing nothing in my pocket. (Yesterday's nightly includes a " fix mako build" patch but it doesn't appear to be related, and I still get crashes anyway)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

anime and cars posted:

Is there anything I need to do if I want to flash back to CM10 from 10.1 apart from the usual?
Remember that the filesystems are different between the two.

LiquidRain posted:

Warning to Nexus 4 cyanogen nightly users: i wouldn't use any nightly from the last week since cyanogen did some large updates after their gerrit server had its maintenance. I get random crashes, even while the phone is doing nothing in my pocket. (Yesterday's nightly includes a " fix mako build" patch but it didn't help)
This is because there's a kernel panic whenever the aGPS is downloaded. The 0209 nightly fixes this.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
How do I go about getting a back up of my Transformer Infinity? When I try to go into RCK from Vol. Up+Power I get

Is there an app that I can use or something?I want to unlock my bootloader and install a new ROM because of everything I've heard about the ASUS stock ROM being slow as poo poo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SlayVus posted:

How do I go about getting a back up of my Transformer Infinity? When I try to go into RCK from Vol. Up+Power I get

Is there an app that I can use or something?I want to unlock my bootloader and install a new ROM because of everything I've heard about the ASUS stock ROM being slow as poo poo.
You can't get a backup without a custom recovery. Whether you can install a custom recovery without losing your data is dependent on how you go about doing that on that particular device.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well, I'm backing up all my system data and user app data with Titanium Backup Pro. I downloaded Clockwork Mod, but it's telling me that my device isn't supported for CWM Recovery. However through google searching I've found a lot of people who are successfully using CWMR on their TF700 along with some websites for instructions for installing CWMR.

Is CWMR the goto custom recovery option?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

SlayVus posted:

Well, I'm backing up all my system data and user app data with Titanium Backup Pro. I downloaded Clockwork Mod, but it's telling me that my device isn't supported for CWM Recovery. However through google searching I've found a lot of people who are successfully using CWMR on their TF700 along with some websites for instructions for installing CWMR.

Is CWMR the goto custom recovery option?

I use TWRP

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Official CWM builds are here:
http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanager
They are device specific. Is the TF700T different to the TF700? I have no idea.

The other popular recovery is TWRP, found here:
http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/105
Same thing as above applies regarding the model number.

Edit: I think the T just stands for Tegra. Maybe someone else can confirm.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
TF700 or TF700T, they are the same thing.

I downloaded TWRP and installed it through their suggest GooManager, but I'm still getting the red exclamation.

Edit: I had to unlock my bootloader...

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 10, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

z06ck posted:

I use TWRP

I've been using TWRP ever since the CW guy restricted his recovery so only his app can communicate with it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

I've been using TWRP ever since the CW guy restricted his recovery so only his app can communicate with it.
That's not true, apps can communicate with CWR just fine but CyanDelta can't do multiple flashes with it.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

LastInLine posted:

That's not true, apps can communicate with CWR just fine but CyanDelta can't do multiple flashes with it.

quote:

ClockworkMod recovery is open source. However, the hooks that ROM Manager uses to automate backups by hooking into ClockworkMod Recovery are proprietary.

I have told other developers, if they wish to use the ClockworkMod Recovery hooks, they can do it in the following ways:

1) Build, distribute, and support their own version of ClockworkMod Recovery, so that I am not responsible for the maintenance of it.

2) Use the ROM Manager API, which requires a ROM Manager Premium License.

The user can ALWAYS make backups manually in recovery, without a Premium license.

I'm not gonna install ROM Manager premium just to use CWMR but I can see his point of view if other developers basically use his work as a base for their premium apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

WastedJoker posted:

I'm not gonna install ROM Manager premium just to use CWMR but I can see his point of view if other developers basically use his work as a base for their premium apps.

I've been using CWMR without rom manager for ages.