Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Or, you know, a self timer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
No bullet was in the chamber, just the outside ones, and the hammer wasn't pulled back. Had him point at the camera, tape measured from gun to lens, set the focus, than used a shutter release cable to fire it remotely. So no, I didn't stand in front of the gun while it was pointed.

Still stupid? Definitely. But if it causes the viewer anxiety I'd say I succeeded :v:

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 4, 2013

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

pootiebigwang posted:

Thanks for the info guys, here's some gently caress ups from the roll I mangled.

I have a similar shot.

It's a cyanotype, original photo on film, but scanned, enlarged and printed to transparency paper on my computer.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

pootiebigwang posted:

No bullet was in the chamber, just the outside ones, and the hammer wasn't pulled back. Had him point at the camera, tape measured from gun to lens, set the focus, than used a shutter release cable to fire it remotely. So no, I didn't stand in front of the gun while it was pointed.

Still stupid? Definitely. But if it causes the viewer anxiety I'd say I succeeded :v:

It would have actually been safer if you had the hammer back with no round in front of it... Revolvers work by advancing the cylinder on each trigger pull before dropping the hammer, so you were just one trigger pull from firing off that round just to the right of the frame in the photo. Just keep that in mind in case your next project involves, uhm, pulling the trigger.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Inf posted:

It would have actually been safer if you had the hammer back with no round in front of it... Revolvers work by advancing the cylinder on each trigger pull before dropping the hammer, so you were just one trigger pull from firing off that round just to the right of the frame in the photo. Just keep that in mind in case your next project involves, uhm, pulling the trigger.

Glad to know the possibility of me dying was that much higher. Don't plan on doing anymore shoots with firearms but if it happens, thanks for the heads up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Inf posted:

Not if the revolver is single‐action. I don’t know my revolvers, so I couldn’t say to which class the one in the photo belongs.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Not if the revolver is single‐action. I don’t know my revolvers, so I couldn’t say to which class the one in the photo belongs.

I think he said it was a Smith & Wesson .38 revolver? He knows more about it than I. I just wanted the photo.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
The Film Thread: Kodak's dead, and pootiebigwang was almost next.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
did a still life. i love shooting large format, i missed it so much.

Fireplace, NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Portra 400 is so good, gotta get another roll tomorrow.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Fragrag posted:

The Film Thread: Kodak's dead, and pootiebigwang was almost next.
Unless he uses a Nikon F :smuggo:

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
As an update for my question regarding my A-1:

I contacted KEH and they declared it beyond repair. Considering the condition of the camera and the price I got it for I took it to a local shop. 5 minutes later the guy handed it back to me.

The problem? KEH's tech put a piece in upside down.

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!
I'm just getting into film photography so this is a dumb question. I had a couple of rolls of Velvia 100 that I had shipped off to be developed. Velvia 100 is Slide Film and the company has a seperate order form for Slide Film. Since it's slide film, does that mean it will only come out as tiny slides that can be mounted or is it possible to get 4x6 prints from it? I had the company cross process it to C-41 and the film came out beautifully. I took the negatives to Costco for some reprints and they just came out extremely yellow. Is that because Costco has to cross-process the negatives as well or is cross-processing something that only happens when are developing the negatives? I want to get more prints made with the same beautiful colors so I guess I have to mail the negatives back out and ask them to cross process the prints, correct? Thanks for the help.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cross-processing refers to developing the film in the wrong chemistry. C-41 and E-6 are close enough that you will still get colours for either film in both processes, but dissimilar enough that the colours you get will be wrong, apart from the obvious part that the E-6 process produces positives and C-41 produces negatives. The prints you get made from the film are most likely made digitally from intermediate negative scans, with automatic colour correction done. Different minilabs might do different colour correction, but if you want to have full control of the colours then you'll either have to wet print yourself (meaning setting up a full colour darkroom) or get some high quality scans of the negatives and colour correct them yourself, then have those files printed.
(And to be entirely clear, "cross processing" is only for developing the film into slides or negatives, it's not involved during the print making at all, despite the word "developing" often being used to refer to the general process of getting prints of photos.)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Just to expand a bit, E-6 (slide film; aka "colour reversal") produces positive images (so red things look red, blue things look blue, etc.). The standard post-developing procedure is to cut each frame from the 35mm roll and mount it in cardboard; 30 years ago you'd load those slides into a projector carousel and shine a bright light through them onto a screen, and bore your friends with snapshots from your trip to Disneyworld. You don't have to have them mounted, and you can request "develop only" and "do not mount" when you send in the film. What you get back is a roll of developed film, just like C-41 (colour negative) comes back as the developed film, typically cut to 4 or 5-frame lengths and stuffed into a plastic sleeve.

Some places won't cross process, and some places no longer have the equipment and know-how to process E-6 but might be willing to throw a roll through their C-41 machine (and thus cross process it).

It's entirely possible to get prints made from slide film. It's possible to do it entirely analogue, but no commercial operator would be willing to do this for less than ridiculous amounts of money. The way any shop would do it is the same way you'd do it at home if you had a scanner and a good-enough printer - scan the film frames, touch up the images on a computer (this is where that "auto colour correct" comes in), and print. You could do the important parts yourself - any camera shop (and any larger retailer that handles photos, like Costco) can print digital files at whatever size you request - so you can set up the colours however you like if you scan the film yourself. Costco might give you the unmolested digital files if you just ask them to scan the film for you - make sure you request no automatic colour correction and a higher quality (higher than 72dpi, which is often the standard quick-and-dirty scan resolution) and they'll probably sell you a CD with your images on it for a few dollars. Then fiddle with the colours youself, and give them the modified (or unmodified, up to you) files to print. This also gives you the chance to specify which pictures are worth printing, and which deserve no more money to be spent on them.

This morning I messed up loading another roll of film. The "magic fingers" of my Pentax ME super are less than advertized, and now I've got a roll of Velvia 50 with the lead accidentally rolled back inside the cartridge and only the first 5 frames used. :( Dammit, the golden morning light caused by the smoke from forest fires is perfect for Velvia!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

This morning I messed up loading another roll of film. The "magic fingers" of my Pentax ME super are less than advertized, and now I've got a roll of Velvia 50 with the lead accidentally rolled back inside the cartridge and only the first 5 frames used. :( Dammit, the golden morning light caused by the smoke from forest fires is perfect for Velvia!

You can either buy a tool to retrieve the film leader or try something like this: http://www.lomography.com/magazine/tipster/2012/06/29/diy-film-retriever-extractor , then fire off 6 or 7 frames with the lens cap on (use f/22 and your highest shutter speed just to be safe) to back to your place on the roll. That way you will only lose a couple of frames.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've had no luck with DIY film retrieval in the past, but I didn't try very hard. It's worth trying that one - I have a bit of leftover 35mm (they make good bookmarks). I was planning to get a retreival tool anyway, maybe I'll find one here. It'd be fun to get some of the wooden boat festival on Velvia.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ
I used the technique shown in this video before with good success: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc00ULY7cYU

I've also just dropped by my local photo shop and asked them to extract the leader before and they did it in a matter of seconds. I switch rolls mid-roll quite frequently now that I've become comfortable getting the leader back out. Just make sure to carry around a sharpie so you can write down the shutter count for when you reload that roll.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I got a roll of slide film developed a few months ago in where I think was the only place in my city that does it. It was twice the price of color neg and they didn't even give me little slide packets, just a plastic pocket. But goddamn it looks amazing. Slide film for life.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Do you have a slide projector or something? Because otherwise I don't know why you'd get them mounted.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Reichstag posted:

Do you have a slide projector or something? Because otherwise I don't know why you'd get them mounted.

I can see if you are gonna flatbed scan them. Mounted slides are probably a little flatter than the shitastic 35mm holders most scanners come with.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I remembered that the lab includes a darkroom that's not being used as a darkroom anymore, but is still light-tight. I tried to get the film leader out with a strip of paper the right size and some tape, but the tape came off the paper and ended up sticking the end of the leader to the roll inside the cartridge. I discovered this when I carefully popped the bottom of the cartridge off in the dark, pulled the roll and figured it out. Then I re-assembled it, with the leader extended.

I finished off the roll that was in the camera at that point, and loaded the Velvia. As was suggested, f/22, lens cap on, maximum shutter speed, and advance to where it messed up before - frame 6. It wouldn't advance any further, I think the problem is the perforations have torn on at least one edge. After the sun goes down, eliminating the light under the door in the room with no windows, I'll try opening the camera and pushing the film forward. We'll see, I guess.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

8th-samurai posted:

I can see if you are gonna flatbed scan them. Mounted slides are probably a little flatter than the shitastic 35mm holders most scanners come with.

Yeah exactly this, I have a few old slides from way back when and it's much easier to scan them.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

ExecuDork posted:

I've had no luck with DIY film retrieval in the past, but I didn't try very hard. It's worth trying that one - I have a bit of leftover 35mm (they make good bookmarks). I was planning to get a retreival tool anyway, maybe I'll find one here. It'd be fun to get some of the wooden boat festival on Velvia.

I bought one of these: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/32760-Arista-Deluxe-Film-Retriever?sc=24100&gclid=CNO9vuSWp7UCFVFgMgodujcAcg

It's easy to use and worth $15.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

8th-samurai posted:

Mounted slides are (usually) flatter but you do also lose some of the frame to the mount.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
If I'm using a Tiffen #12 yellow filter with B&W film, meter is not TTL, any idea how many stops I need to compensate by?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just 1 I think.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Can you put the filter over the meter and see how much the reading changes?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

A #12 yellow filter should have one stop of correction to expose properly.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Thanks, I was thinking 1 as well. The meter is situated too close to the lens to really get the filter over it, good idea though.

I suppose the compensation will depend on how much blue is in the frame (since yellow #12 is a blue-stop). Whatever, it's arista 400, give no fucks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Got some pictures back in the mail. At some point I'll need to invest in a better scanning solution since I seem to lose both color and detail in the transition. Would scanning the negatives rather than the prints be a better option?

Some Fujifilm in 220.

Jordan Smiling by I Like Natty Light, on Flickr

And Ilford 120 shot as 220.

Liz on Ilford by I Like Natty Light, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Got some pictures back in the mail. At some point I'll need to invest in a better scanning solution since I seem to lose both color and detail in the transition. Would scanning the negatives rather than the prints be a better option?

Undoubtedly.

Lovely pictures by the way :)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yes. The most common rec though is the Epson v700/750, which is the best consumer flatbed film scanner on the market. Dedicated scanners are hard to come by for medium format, but are definitely higher quality. As far as I know, the only two currently produced dedicated scanners that will take 120 are the Plustek 120 and a Reflecta something or other. Neither company is held in high regard generally, and I haven't seen much in the way of reviews of either product, but iirc there is one goon with the plustek, maybe they can chime in.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Reichstag posted:

Yes. The most common rec though is the Epson v700/750, which is the best consumer flatbed film scanner on the market. Dedicated scanners are hard to come by for medium format, but are definitely higher quality. As far as I know, the only two currently produced dedicated scanners that will take 120 are the Plustek 120 and a Reflecta something or other. Neither company is held in high regard generally, and I haven't seen much in the way of reviews of either product, but iirc there is one goon with the plustek, maybe they can chime in.

I'm using an Epson V500 and the quality is meh, but probably good enough for my needs. I was considering a glass negative holder from betterscanning.com. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about those?

Where is everyone buying their B&W 120 film these days? I see the cheap Chinese film is pretty scarce, so the cheapest prices I'm seeing are Ilford for around $4.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm using an Epson V500 and the quality is meh, but probably good enough for my needs. I was considering a glass negative holder from betterscanning.com. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about those?

Where is everyone buying their B&W 120 film these days? I see the cheap Chinese film is pretty scarce, so the cheapest prices I'm seeing are Ilford for around $4.

Amazon

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Krispy Kareem posted:

I had a betterscanning.com holder for my V600 and it was head and shoulders above the epson holders. I highly recommend them and plan to pick one up for my V700 soonish. I order my film either from Amazon or Freestyle. If you are looking for cheap B&W freestyle is the only place to be, Arista EDU Ultra runs about $3 and is rebranded Foma.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I spent all last night learning how to use my new Canon AE-1, and spent all day carefully taking exposures for practice. When I finished the first roll, I didn't push in the bottom pin before rewinding and ended up ripping the film (forced it a little too hard and figured the resistance was normal). Never knew what I did until I opened the back and saw that the film hadn't been rewound at all. So there goes the entire roll.

Welp, welcome to film :unsmith:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

BANME.sh posted:

I spent all last night learning how to use my new Canon AE-1, and spent all day carefully taking exposures for practice. When I finished the first roll, I didn't push in the bottom pin before rewinding and ended up ripping the film (forced it a little too hard and figured the resistance was normal). Never knew what I did until I opened the back and saw that the film hadn't been rewound at all. So there goes the entire roll.

Welp, welcome to film :unsmith:

Welcome to the club! If you have to force it, you're doing it wrong! :ohdear:

When I first got an AE-1, I fought with it to rewind my first roll, but I luckily figured it out before I ripped it.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Seconding recommending these. Mine is loving brilliant and I will never go back to the stock canon holder (8800F)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

We have the Epson V500s in college and I don't know what it is about them but they just suck the colour out of negative scans. Really not a fan.