Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Locobono posted:

Any idea why my nexus 10 loses my SA login cookie? I have to login every day.

No clue, but you should probably be using the Awful Betamax app anyway. Unless that's what's losing your cookies, in which case you should post in the thread for that app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have an open warranty replacement on a Nexus 7 right now, they'll be collecting it in a couple of days, has been generally easy so far with the exception of the RMA request form which was an exercise in terrible UI design and bad HCI. The form had two telephone number fields, both labelled and both marked as mandatory, but with a mysterious third text field between them. Attempting to submit the form failed with an error telling me to fill in the mystery box. Also when entering my postcode it auto-populated a dropdown box which then gave me a choice between my post town plus half of my postcode, or the road that I'm on. Err...what exactly are you asking me to do?

(Note that I'm in the UK though so my experiences may be different to yours.)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

About a week back I got an Asus Transformer TF700T. Its been my first experience with a tablet outside of playing with friends iGizmos. Despite having a poo poo ton of horsepower the entire machine seems...sluggish? The web browsing experience leaves a lot to be desired (page tearing, the entire app hanging for 4-6 seconds, the pages being unreadable until its COMPLETELY done loading, etc). I also notice pressing the google search microphone thing from the home screen results in a solid 5 second lag before you can do any input, and input in and of itself is laggy as poo poo. I have done the project butter update and the tablet is running jellybean.

Anyone else have similar issues? Any ideas?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sorry to say, just two pages ago there were a bunch of us telling thebushcommander not to buy TF700T at this point due to the fact that's Tegra 3 which is over a year old. It's honestly a dated processor.

For the same money, you can get a Nexus 10 with a higher resolution screen, twice the memory, and a much faster processor. The only Tegra 3 tablets people should be buying right now are $200 Nexus 7s.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Is stuttering in the interface just a reality for the Nexus 7 now, or is my dad's simply being poorly maintained? All the stuff about 'Project Butter' when it was announced encouraged me that there was finally a grown up Android device, but that's not what I'm seeing when I use it.

Being a PC gamer in the 90s, I have seriously bad associations with slow frame rates, and as much as I prefer the idea of a more open platform - I'd sooner spend the extra money for the iPad mini if it means a more reliably smooth user experience.

Basically, is it possible to run a Nexus 7 with zero-minimal jerkiness in the menus and app switching etc?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

cr0y posted:

About a week back I got an Asus Transformer TF700T. Its been my first experience with a tablet outside of playing with friends iGizmos. Despite having a poo poo ton of horsepower the entire machine seems...sluggish? The web browsing experience leaves a lot to be desired (page tearing, the entire app hanging for 4-6 seconds, the pages being unreadable until its COMPLETELY done loading, etc). I also notice pressing the google search microphone thing from the home screen results in a solid 5 second lag before you can do any input, and input in and of itself is laggy as poo poo. I have done the project butter update and the tablet is running jellybean.

Anyone else have similar issues? Any ideas?
Unlock it, put a recovery on it and install Clean ROM Inheritance. The stock ASUS ROM is laggy as hell. The hardware is perfectly fine and the tablet is very pleasant to use with the right ROM and kernel.

If you are within the return window you should probably look at getting a Nexus 10 though, as previously mentioned.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

joedevola posted:

Is stuttering in the interface just a reality for the Nexus 7 now, or is my dad's simply being poorly maintained? All the stuff about 'Project Butter' when it was announced encouraged me that there was finally a grown up Android device, but that's not what I'm seeing when I use it.

Being a PC gamer in the 90s, I have seriously bad associations with slow frame rates, and as much as I prefer the idea of a more open platform - I'd sooner spend the extra money for the iPad mini if it means a more reliably smooth user experience.

Basically, is it possible to run a Nexus 7 with zero-minimal jerkiness in the menus and app switching etc?

I don't think you're going to find any tablet that has zero jerkiness...including the iPad. I don't have enough hands on time with both the 7 and the mini to make a comparison, but I wouldn't be surprised if the mini has less than the 7.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nexus 7 isn't "supposed to" have any jerkiness, but it occasionally does. Mine was awesome when I first got it, but it degraded over time.

There's a bug/issue with it (which was pointed out to me a couple of pages ago) where it gets massively jerky when there's less than 2 GB of free space. I've also noticed it when running updates in the background of whatever I'm trying to do.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I only really notice "jerkiness" on my Nexus 7 when running Chrome, and that's because the Chrome beta version (which is otherwise much better at rendering( is buggy enough in its own right that I'm not using it right now.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Bah, im within my return window at bestbuy so my asus tf700 is probably going back. Is there anything besides the nexus 10 that i should be considering?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

cr0y posted:

Bah, im within my return window at bestbuy so my asus tf700 is probably going back. Is there anything besides the nexus 10 that i should be considering?

No.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The framerate on my Nexus 7 is almost always perfect. Once every two months the Verge will run some weird banner ad that will freak out Chrome but otherwise, yeah, if everything feels jerky and stuttery then there's probably something wrong with that device.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Am I crazy for looking at the Fire HD 8.9 and thinking about trading up? The price bump for LTE is crappy, but an 8.9" with LTE just sounds nicer than an N7 on AT&T HSPA+. Reviews of the Fire make it sound worth consideration. The battery life and display sound like they're good.

e: I mean, if you can get the Play Store running on the Fire without having to install a custom ROM or something.

e2: I guess I do just want an LTE N10 :(

Manky fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 7, 2013

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I've had my N10 for a week or two now and starting to use it more and more and generally love it as a device. However hearing about all the custom ROM's has me wondering if I should really consider installing any of them?

So far in almost anything I've done with the tablet I haven't run into any slowdowns, or weird issues with the UI not making sense.

I guess I'm wondering what reasoning would I have to go look at a custom ROM?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Manky posted:

Am I crazy for looking at the Fire HD 8.9 and thinking about trading up? The price bump for LTE is crappy, but an 8.9" with LTE just sounds nicer than an N7 on AT&T HSPA+. Reviews of the Fire make it sound worth consideration. The battery life and display sound like they're good.

e: I mean, if you can get the Play Store running on the Fire without having to install a custom ROM or something.

Keep in mind 8.9 LTE only gets 250mb and has tons of restrictions on what you can do. The Fire broadband won't let you download large files, stream audio or watch video at all. It seems like it's meant for checking email and downloading books only.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

What kind of battery life are people getting out of the Nexus 10? I'm seeing crazy fast drain on standby to where letting it sit for a little over 24 hours cost 40% battery, let alone from actually using it. It's bad enough that I'm thinking of taking it back.

Hey kitten smoothie, just an update on this as I finally let my Nexus 10 sit for a 24 hour period. Took it to work and back home, on wifi at both places, syncing two Gmail accounts and FB/twitter/G+. It ended up at 96% after 24 hours. That's including 25 minutes of wake time from Google Maps, which was at like 25% of battery used and 2nd after "Android OS." I just disabled it so it isn't showing up on the battery info anymore. Did you try wiping yours and seeing if it helped?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

RVProfootballer posted:

Hey kitten smoothie, just an update on this as I finally let my Nexus 10 sit for a 24 hour period. Took it to work and back home, on wifi at both places, syncing two Gmail accounts and FB/twitter/G+. It ended up at 96% after 24 hours. That's including 25 minutes of wake time from Google Maps, which was at like 25% of battery used and 2nd after "Android OS." I just disabled it so it isn't showing up on the battery info anymore. Did you try wiping yours and seeing if it helped?

Idle drain on mine is pretty similar to this. It would last for weeks if I wasn't using it all the time.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Stick100 posted:

Keep in mind 8.9 LTE only gets 250mb and has tons of restrictions on what you can do. The Fire broadband won't let you download large files, stream audio or watch video at all. It seems like it's meant for checking email and downloading books only.

Wow, really? That makes it completely pointless!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

RVProfootballer posted:

I actually ended up just taking it back to the store.

Being able to jailbreak my iPad 3 so I can install F.Lux and use Chrome as the default browser has pretty much scratched the itch I had for the Nexus 10.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Chrome is probably better on the iPad than it is on the 10 anyway.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39879

It's happened to me a couple of times (both in Chrome) and it's pretty infuriating.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's happened to me a couple of times (both in Chrome) and it's pretty infuriating.

Yeah, that happened to me about six times during the week or so I had the N10 and that was also weighing heavily into the decision to just take it back.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, that happened to me about six times during the week or so I had the N10 and that was also weighing heavily into the decision to just take it back.
It's wasn't that big of a deal since it only interrupted my internet reading for maybe 30 seconds but if it happened that often I'd return mine, too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FWIW, I haven't had this bug show up on the Chrome Beta channel.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

That's a pretty interesting link. That's exactly the problem I had with all my Dell Streaks.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

FWIW, I haven't had this bug show up on the Chrome Beta channel.

Meanwhile I had a fair bit of them from the beta channel.

I was disappointed to take it back. The thing was nice and fast, and the screen on the 10 is gorgeous.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Meanwhile I had a fair bit of them from the beta channel.

I was disappointed to take it back. The thing was nice and fast, and the screen on the 10 is gorgeous.

The 10 is great and I've not had any other problems with it, so I'm going to say the issue is with Chrome. The screen is great, the speakers are great, the grippy back is great. My biggest complaint is nothing is made for the high resolution and anything that's not vector-based gets big jaggies from being stretched. My complaint in one year will be that the pins on the bottom have gone unused because Nexus devices never get accessories. Maybe someone else can figure out how to make a keyboard dock for it.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Manky posted:

I know you've already decided but for what it's worth, kfhd 8.9 really is a great device. I hate the Carousel home screen, but it was easy enough to root it to and install the Play store. Screen, speakers, and battery life are all great. Unfortunately, there are no custom roms for this thing yet.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

re: Nexus 7, has anyone experienced a light backlight bleed "smudge" in the middle of their screen? It's only really apparent when a solid dark background is displayed, but it's annoying me to the point where I'm thinking about RMA'ing :\

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Crusader posted:

re: Nexus 7, has anyone experienced a light backlight bleed "smudge" in the middle of their screen? It's only really apparent when a solid dark background is displayed, but it's annoying me to the point where I'm thinking about RMA'ing :\

I noticed a smudge just like that on my previous N7. I would have called Google if I hadn't already been RMAing it for the battery.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011
I can't tell if it's developers being lazy or they don't think it's worth it but there's hardly any apps designed for tablet screens, they don't utilize the extra space at all, app scaling really seems to be blessing and a curse. Oh and there's some killer apps on iOS which had a good equivalent for Android. Oh and there's some killer apps on iOS which don't have a good equivalent for Android.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

JoeMB posted:

Oh and there's some killer apps on iOS which don't have a good equivalent for Android.

Sometimes you can find an .apk floating around out there..

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

So, I'm a weirdo who wants a Nexus 10 keyboard case that no one seems to make.

Specifically, I want a keyboard and trackpad so I basically have an Android laptop. Also, I want it to be powered from the tablet instead of having its own battery because gently caress charging yet another goddamn device. It should also have a control key for SSH. Basically the biggest uber-sperg keyboard ever. (Actually the biggest uber-sperg keyboard ever would probably be a full-size replica of the MIT Space Cadet keyboard but never mind.)

Does such a thing exist? If not, what's the closest thing? Maybe charging a wireless keyboard would be OK if I had a USB Y cable so I only need one outlet.

I know the obvious answer is "get an Asus Transformer" but that doesn't have the sweet 2560x1600 screen and the official Google support, both of which I want.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The Nexus 10 does not have that, at least not yet. I too am waiting for the next tablet that has the full keyboard dock thing going on but modern hardware. For now I'm content to keep using my original Transformer and keyboard.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

The Nexus 10 does not have that, at least not yet. I too am waiting for the next tablet that has the full keyboard dock thing going on but modern hardware. For now I'm content to keep using my original Transformer and keyboard.

Right now the only tablet I have is a first edition iPad so I really want to upgrade soon :(

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
If anyone is interested, I put my N7 and two cases in SA Mart for sale (or trade for an N10).

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Mill Town posted:

Right now the only tablet I have is a first edition iPad so I really want to upgrade soon :(

MWC starts Feb. 25th. I'd personally hold off until that's over since you'll get an idea of what the tablet market will look like for 2013. Granted very few things have an immediate launch at MWC, so you'll still be waiting for things to drop, but you'll either avoid buying "last" gen, or manage to wait for that same hardware to price drop with the new releases. Win/win.

Unless you want an ipad 5 or whatever they call it, which usually drops april/march (ipad 1-3).

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
I have a Nexus 7 and want a case other than the Blurex. It's not a bad case, but I just want to explore other options. What's the next go-to N7 case?

Edit: I should probably note that my biggest gripe with it is that I'm a lefty, and the case is designed for a righty. The elastic hand-hold thing is too far over to be functional if you're holding it in your right hand, and the "hook" that holds it close sits uncomfortably against your fingers if you hold it for a prolonged period of time. I saw this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/i-BLASON-Goog...ds=nexus+7+case Any thoughts on it?

TShields fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 9, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Put the tablet in the case upside-down and use it left-handed. The only thing is the buttons are a bit harder to hit and you'd have to make your own speaker cutout.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Put the tablet in the case upside-down and use it left-handed. The only thing is the buttons are a bit harder to hit and you'd have to make your own speaker cutout.

Just put it in the case normally and turn the whole thing over. All the cutouts will be in the right place and you quickly get used to buttons being on bottom left instead of top right. I liked holding my Nexus 7 in my right hand and got annoyed with the clasp thing, but simply flipping it 180 degrees made it all better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

JoeMB posted:

Oh and there's some killer apps on iOS which don't have a good equivalent for Android.

CloFan posted:

Sometimes you can find an .apk floating around out there..
What does this mean?