Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
I keep on star simply for the auto crash response. I have kids and it offers peace of mind. And really of you factor in $150 into a multi thousand dollar cars tco. Its quite reasonable. But I can see where people see overlap with their cell phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Not my car but I did change out some broken rear springs on my friends BMW X3. The last coil on the bottom had snapped in half on both sides..

Not a bad job.

Raise rear end of car up.
Take wheels off.
Unbolt brake line brackets on lower control arms on both sides.
Unbolt bottom shock bolts.
Use a pry bar to lower suspension enough to pull the spring out. (sway bar still attached so there is a little wiggle room)
Install is reverse of removal.

Later almost put the same X3 through the side of a house discovering my friend has no clue to driving in the snow.. Or sliding down the side of a mountain in the snow.....

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
This is more of a what did you do to your ride 2 weeks ago. I bought a built 97 camaro a few months ago that supposedly was pushing 550hp. Finally got around to dyno'ing it, 485 RWHP so I guess around 565 at the crank. Not bad.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

drat son. :stare:

Why are you selling it already?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I thought I would be home more to drive it at night/weekends, when the reality is I now have two cars and drive maybe a half hour a week.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Almost got home and noticed steam coming from under the hood.:suicide:

Looks like it's coming from the intake manifold area, somewhat by the thermostat - looks like there is both hoses going to/from the throttle body and a valve that lets more air into the intake on cold starts...

Edit - Found the leak - there is a split in what I think is the hose going to the throttle body - it runs from a 90 degree fitting on top of the thermostat, around and below the upper rad hose, then to the throttle body, or immediately behind it.

Timmy Cruise fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 6, 2013

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.
Put down a deposit on A&A centrifugal supercharger kit for my 02 Z06. It is truly a vicious cycle with the cars I own. I buy them, keep them stock and get bored, lightly mod them, get bored, then supercharge them, have entirely too much power, hate them and then sell them. Then I buy another car, keep it stock and start to miss being able to cruise along at highway speeds and leave 200ft long tire marks down the road, so I start to lightly mod the car with headers/exhaust and then I cam it and then I get bored and then I supercharge it and then...

Someone help me please :suicide:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Did some serious redneck wiring to get the torque converter clutch on my Jimmy to engage in 4th while I work on transferring the whole 700r4 harness over. Namely, I grounded one side of the internal switch to the body with a self-tapping screw, and spliced in a chunk of 12ga stranded wire that runs along a vacuum line, up into the engine compartment, and then around the hinge, through the driver's side door and down to the fusebox. Didn't bother installing the vacuum switch or the brake light switch, since neither really offer any benefit when you're only using lockup in 4th.

It's ugly and I'm ashamed.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My car won't heat up. :suicide:

Any advice as to what would cause to problem? It's a 99 Taurus and the car won't get up to operating temperature.

In fact, the coolant reservoir isn't holding pressure either, I can drive it from work to home (20 minutes), turn the car off, and immediately take the cap off. A quick scan shows the coolant only getting up to about 80C which isn't all that hot either. :( I can't see any coolant leaks either.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
If the coolant level isn't getting lower, and you've checked your oil for chocolate milk consistency (it won't be a blown HG, but since you're there anyhow), I'd then check for a stuck-open thermostat.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

If the coolant level isn't getting lower, and you've checked your oil for chocolate milk consistency (it won't be a blown HG, but since you're there anyhow), I'd then check for a stuck-open thermostat.

The rear head gasket was just replaced. Not coolant in the system as far as I can tell, coolant levels aren't lowering, and there is flow when I open up the throttle. The heater core was just replaced also along with the thermostat and waterpump.

I can watch the Temp needle rise to about 1/3 up and then drop back down to cool. :smith:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Check to make sure the air was purged properly and that the sensor isn't wacked out. You should be able to get readings from your ODBII port. I'd be interested in seeing what it it says is going on.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
Yesterday I replaced my front sway bar end links and got an alignment, in just an hour of driving there seemed to be a huge reduction in bump steer and it felt glorious not pulling hard left anymore. Then I hit a huge pothole an hour ago and it started pulling left again :smith:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cellular Suicide posted:

Yesterday I replaced my front sway bar end links and got an alignment, in just an hour of driving there seemed to be a huge reduction in bump steer and it felt glorious not pulling hard left anymore. Then I hit a huge pothole an hour ago and it started pulling left again :smith:

Take it back to the alignment shop and say something came loose. Don't mention the pothole.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I would also take it back. I've hit a bajillion potholes and never knocked anything drastically out of alignment on my cars - and BMWs aren't known for their rugged suspension components.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Guinness posted:

I would also take it back. I've hit a bajillion potholes and never knocked anything drastically out of alignment on my cars - and BMWs aren't known for their rugged suspension components.

I scheduled it for another alignment tomorrow, I really hope that something just shifted a bit. I'm fully expecting to be told about the next piece of Swiss cheese that's going to need replaced, my nagging fear is the control arm. This was one massive pothole - it was a manhole that's sunk down over the winter, it looked to be at least 4" below the asphalt surface.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I put a blower on it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Billy Tully posted:

I put a blower on it.

Wow, those can add up to 3rhp (rotor horsepower). Nicely done.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Billy Tully posted:

I put a blower on it.

yer momma was a snowblower.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
After 4 or 5 years sitting disassembled, I finally started getting my 323 GTX reassembled. I'd link the archived threads, but I can't find any of them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Two nights ago I pulled the front bumper off. Last night I fabricated a winch mount in the center of itused up something like 20 cutoff wheels and a bit of welding wire. Today, I painted the bumper (Hammerite ROCKS, I had no idea I could get it stateside!) and installed it... and bolted a winch to the jeep for the first time in a year and a half. Bring it, snowmageddon 2013.

Billy Tully posted:

I put a blower on it.

dude. The forecast says I'm getting 3-4 feet, but I think you're probably only going to get a foot or two. That thing is mounted way too high.

kastein fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 8, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I just swapped the thermostat on my Miata. It had, of course, an old parts store thermostat and a pinched gasket.

It warms up much faster in the cold now and is actually comfortable once a trip is underway. It still seems like the "peak hot" isn't very hot unless I'm beating on the engine, though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seems to be cooling system week in here, I just did the thermostat on the Blazer. Flushed out the block too while I had it off, and everything is working so much better now - heater blows toasty hot, coolant needle gets up to the center of the gauge (quite a change from the first few days I had it when I though the sensor was busted, turns out the cooling system was just that gunked up and rusty), upper hose gets nice and hot. Plus, after a few weeks of flushing it with water every few days (distilled this past week), I finally put antifreeze in it today. :woop:

On a side note, though, my brakes seem to be a bit more urgent than I first thought.

Sucked that out of the master cylinder, only had half a small bottle of brake fluid (previously opened for an unknown period of time) to replace it with so I couldn't even replace the entirety of what was in the reservoir, let alone do a flush. I had been planning to hold that off until I did my rear brakes down the road, but seeing it that nasty I'm gonna go ahead and do it when I do the fronts sometime next wee. I'll also be getting my new control arm and passenger window glass with the brake parts, provided Napa gets off their rear end and ships my drat order. I placed it last Saturday on the website, status finally updated to billed today; I was trying to save time, but I'd have been better off just going to the store at this rate. :argh:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Attempted to convert it into a C7:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Needs more vents

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So, not today but I got the TC shift motor on the explorer sufficiently MacGyver'd together into something functional. Spent hours loving around checking everything and concluded it works exactly as it should. The TC however does not. Looking at pictures of the nightmare within I have concluded something horrible has happened. No matter what I can't really explain what sounds like a scrape and a clunk on the bottom of the housing half that holds the shaft when I turn it. When I find my mojo again I'll pull the TC, drain it and crack it open with many photos to be had.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Warranty runs out on Sunday, so I set up an appointment at the dealer with a laundry list of gripes. I'm dropping it off Tuesday morning, but since I set up the appointment before the end of the warranty, they're going to handle it.

Admittedly most of the stuff is pretty minor, but the brakes definitely need attention (RR wheel locks up really easy), and the rattling exhaust is driving me loving nuts (1200-1500 sounds like a goddamn chainsaw going to town under the car, probably just a heat shield that's worked its way loose). There's also a nasty clunk in the LF corner at low speeds going over speed bumps, pretty sure it's either a strut mount or sway bar end link. For what I paid for it ($assrape$), and the relatively low miles (67k when purchased, almost at 70k now), I'm hoping they'll fix most of the stuff. :smith:

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
Finally got my 68 Mustang on the road again, with a newly rebuilt transmission and 289 v-8, both of which my dad and I built. It was glorious, amazing power and great cornering, the best the car has ever been.

So of course after half an hour of driving it made a godawful clattering sound, died and left me sitting on the side of the road. This engine has about 6 hours of running time on it, no idea why it would let go now. gently caress it, time for beer.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
In the last week i've

Driven it in the snow

Which was bad

Because of these in the back

325's footprint

I finally got around to lowering it a on the built in ride height adjustment bolts

And allowed it to get blizzarded on

The front end just disappears into the snow.

I kind of want to post these on one of the corvette forums just to watch them all freak out a bit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kill me now posted:

The front end just disappears into the snow.

I kind of want to post these on one of the corvette forums just to watch them all freak out a bit.

Keeping it outside is enough. More snow fell on and around mine. A lot more:

I'm never gonna shovel this out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Imp Boy posted:

Finally got my 68 Mustang on the road again, with a newly rebuilt transmission and 289 v-8, both of which my dad and I built. It was glorious, amazing power and great cornering, the best the car has ever been.

So of course after half an hour of driving it made a godawful clattering sound, died and left me sitting on the side of the road. This engine has about 6 hours of running time on it, no idea why it would let go now. gently caress it, time for beer.

You did a proper break-in on the engine, right?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

You did a proper break-in on the engine, right?

You read my mind.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
This week:
- coolant line from thermostat to throttle body split. Had to use bulk hose to loop under the water outlet. Ugh. Ran out of replacement antifreeze when refilling, but was able to get more. Thermostat hadn't even opened when i got to the store..
- finally opened my eyes and looked at the drive shaft. Turns out the yokes on the drive shaft were 90* to each other. Re-aligned them, and now no vibration! Wish I had gotten my head out of my rear end before...

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004

General_Failure posted:

You read my mind.

Was in the middle of breaking it in, did the 20 minutes or so of sustained rpms to break in the cam when it first started and was driving pretty gently to see how it was doing, no hard acceleration or high rpms. I'll pull the valve covers tomorrow and see what is lurking in there. The engine already had a few hours on it and was running great until this point.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
What kind of oil is in it?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I think you're supposed to do that under no load, in the shop, but I know gently caress all about building engines, so I may be completely wrong here.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
Was using 10-30, and broke in the cam in the shop under no load. My dad was the one doing the main work on this, as he's built plenty of engines, and of course he left last night on a two week vacation. I'm guessing something broke on a lifter or a valve went horrible wrong, but its a non-interference engine so hopefully the worst case scenario is a new pair of heads.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Plates and tags showed up, got them on the car. Maybe now cops will stop following me so much, I've been followed more in the month I've had this car than in the 3 years I had the Altima. :argh: I guess the whole "temporary plates" bit kept getting their attention.

I was not a fan at all of the last plate design:

The new design is pretty awesome, IMO, and looks really good on a silver car.

:allears:

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

some texas redneck posted:

Plates and tags showed up, got them on the car. Maybe now cops will stop following me so much, I've been followed more in the month I've had this car than in the 3 years I had the Altima. :argh: I guess the whole "temporary plates" bit kept getting their attention.

I was not a fan at all of the last plate design:

The new design is pretty awesome, IMO, and looks really good on a silver car.

:allears:
Are they stamped yet, or still just ink/paint on metal? Texas plates always look so fake to me since they weren't not stamped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^

Coronet XX posted:

Are they stamped yet, or still just ink/paint on metal? Texas plates always look so fake to me since they weren't not stamped.

Sadly I think that's going to become pretty normal - Florida had an online poll for the new plate design, and they said that besides far lower manufacturing costs, printed plates make it easier for police and cameras to read. Apparently, the current font confuses toll cameras a lot. These were the options:

Top right won the poll, which is probably the best although that isn't saying much. We'll see if it makes it to production.

I also ordered a new plate for my Miata in addition to new wheels and tires. I had a super sketchy wear pattern going on when I got it, even after an alignment.

You can actually see that the wear was just a small patch that was bulged a bit. It was along maybe a foot along the circumference so I had a nasty wobble besides it being pretty unsafe. I replaced both worn fronts with some cheap tires since I knew I'd be ordering wheels soon enough. Not doing anything too crazy (I hate the "stance" garbage), they're 15x8 +25s. Hopefully here this week.

Next comes coilovers, although I'm not sure what exactly I want. I never wanted to be the type to get wheels before coilovers but the package I wanted to order is out of stock until at least April. Ouch.

I've put a decent amount of time and a relatively small amount of money into the car, but it seems to be doing alright for having 198k.

E: I guess I can stand posting a picture:

The paint has had a day and there's one dent but otherwise it is straight. Nothing is really perfect but nothing desperately needs replacement either. I think that's pretty standard for cheap miatas.

salt the fries! fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 10, 2013