Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

I want the next page to have Coyote going "Congratulations, Firehead Girl!" because he's terrible with names.

This would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Everyone just acts like Annie is medium, while Headmaster :smith:s in the background.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I'd love to know Coyote's nickname for Smitty. Have we seen him in the ether? I bet he looks super boring.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

I agree that it's very likely that they expected it to be Annie so hard that they reacted that way. I just think it's strange for anyone who's read (and enjoyed) GC up until now to act like it's unreasonable for others to wonder if something more exotic is going on.

Yeah exactly. I'm split between Smitty Shenanigans, and Headmaster Shenanigans Plus Everybody Expected It To Be Annie.

Also, with this comic in particular, with its elementals and gods and fairies and valkyries and families that turn into birds because they feel like it, using weird magic that we already know exists as an explanation for what we just saw strikes me as introducing less new elements than Jones recommending Some Girl for Some Thing that we don't know about yet.

There's an old joke about an engineer, a physicist and a mathematician taking a train trip through Scotland. They pass a black sheep standing in a field. The engineer says, "Look! In Scotland, sheep are black!" The physicist says, "No, no, some Scottish sheep are black." The mathematician, irritated, says, "You're both being much too general! All we can say for sure is that in Scotland there exists at least one field, containing at least one sheep, at least half of which is black."

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 8, 2013

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

Fecha posted:

I'd love to know Coyote's nickname for Smitty. Have we seen him in the ether? I bet he looks super boring.

Boringhead guy! Welcome to my forest!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Donkringel posted:

My money is behind 1 because this is fairly momentous and Tom doesn't usually stick in gags like that so readily. It's not lfgcomic after all.

Except he totally does.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Roland Jones posted:

You know, this nomination might be a ploy by the Court; people have mentioned Coyote and such not standing for it. What if that's the point, though? Either get a rise out of them before putting forth Annie or whatever, or not even doing that? We already know these meetings consist of both sides posturing at each other. This could be something like that as well.

This is actually a good point. Someone mentioned earlier that ysengrin is the forest's medium. I always thought (for some reason) that the medium was a singular position, but upon further reflection each side having a medium, who communicate with each other makes sense. And then someone a page back linked this image, which shows a medium from either side. I personally hope Smitty stays as medium, but this could be a ploy for the Court to get Coyote strip Ysengrin of his position in order to maintain relations. The court really doesn't have much to lose either as they don't take the forest seriously.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
It makes a lot of sense that they'd skip over Annie for the medium job, actually. From the court's perspective, she's a little too close to the forest people, and might not have the court's interests in mind. She's also shown herself to be a total loose cannon time and time again. They're probably looking for someone that'll do a better job of keeping the relationship stable.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ImpactVector posted:

It makes a lot of sense that they'd skip over Annie for the medium job, actually. From the court's perspective, she's a little too close to the forest people, and might not have the court's interests in mind. She's also shown herself to be a total loose cannon time and time again. They're probably looking for someone that'll do a better job of keeping the relationship stable.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure the last thing the court is interested in is a truly neutral medium. Remember that Surma, the previous medium, helped lure and capture Renard. Annie would not be a tool of the court due to her familiarity with the forest; Smitty is far more likely to be manipulated by the court.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Whatever the reasoning is, I hope it stays with Smitty being medium because I'd love him to get more "screen time" that isn't just directly related to his relationship with Parley.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
One of the pages next week had better be Coyote and Smitty shaking hands and both saying, "Alright, mate."

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Has anyone considered that these are relevant to how there were three candidates, and there might be more to this than just the selection?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

motoh posted:

Has anyone considered that these are relevant to how there were three candidates, and there might be more to this than just the selection?

Nnnnnnoooooo? :raise: Think you could elaborate?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It blows my mind that some people in this thread could possibly read this as something other than just a joke. There's no mystical trickery to make people think that there's a different medium! What are you even thinking?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brightman posted:

One of the pages next week had better be Coyote and Smitty shaking hands and both saying, "Alright, mate."

I get the feeling Coyote's going to be either unamused or conniving at this announcement. He's been getting off on playing head games with Annie, and if she's not in the position of Medium, that's going to inconvenience him.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=386

Smitface is probably the Courtyest candidate here. Parley's observation is too shallow to be useful, Annie's observation is probably the most insightful but it's directed against the Court, Andrew's observation is the one that looked the most like some sort of intel for the Court.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

Rasamune posted:

Nnnnnnoooooo? :raise: Think you could elaborate?

I hate speculating because I prefer to think pretty freeform, but three seeds (were they ever dealt with past this scene) and three candidates tells me that something was linked.

At a wild guess, the seeds each represent the growth of the medium candidates, and each one will in turn have a chance to grow. (more clearly, a chance to be the medium.)

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

ChairMaster posted:

It blows my mind that some people in this thread could possibly read this as something other than just a joke. There's no mystical trickery to make people think that there's a different medium! What are you even thinking?

You should see the comments section for this page. Jesus Christ on Golgotha, some of them think it's a damned typo :eng99:

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=386

Smitface is probably the Courtyest candidate here. Parley's observation is too shallow to be useful, Annie's observation is probably the most insightful but it's directed against the Court, Andrew's observation is the one that looked the most like some sort of intel for the Court.

Only problem I've got with this is that that conversation was with Jones, and no one else was around. Jones seems like she'd be looking for the person who could most capably perform the medium's job, that is, mediating between the Court and the Forest. You could take it as an indication of a greater pattern that the Court might notice in making their decision, but the other thing to keep in mind is that this was just about the first we'd seen of Parley and Smitty, and they've both changed a decent amount since then (though admittedly, Parley more than Smitty). If I remember correctly, Smitty didn't seem to have any objections to the whole plan to help Jeanne.

On the other hand, from what we've seen of all of them, I think Smitty's the closest to what the medium is supposed to be: neutral and conciliatory. Parley's too much of a hothead, and Annie seems to care more about the Forest than she does the Court.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Kantesu posted:

On the other hand, from what we've seen of all of them, I think Smitty's the closest to what the medium is supposed to be: neutral and conciliatory. Parley's too much of a hothead, and Annie seems to care more about the Forest than she does the Court.

The most interesting thing about Smitty as medium is seeing whether or not his power has any effect on Coyote and the Forest. If not then he'll only have his (admittedly awesome) personality to work with.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Kantesu posted:

Only problem I've got with this is that that conversation was with Jones, and no one else was around. Jones seems like she'd be looking for the person who could most capably perform the medium's job, that is, mediating between the Court and the Forest. You could take it as an indication of a greater pattern that the Court might notice in making their decision, but the other thing to keep in mind is that this was just about the first we'd seen of Parley and Smitty, and they've both changed a decent amount since then (though admittedly, Parley more than Smitty). If I remember correctly, Smitty didn't seem to have any objections to the whole plan to help Jeanne.

Well, there's also the fact that Annie almost got killed the last time she went into the forest. And as far as anyone at the Court knows Ysengrin might still have it out for her.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Plus, if you look at panel 2 Smitty's OBVIOUSLY the medium, since Annie's the small and Parley's the large.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

fatherdog posted:

Plus, if you look at panel 2 Smitty's OBVIOUSLY the medium, since Annie's the small and Parley's the large.

:master:

This is the best update of this webcomic ever.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

If I were a writer like Tom with an engaged audience like he has I'd be disappointed if they didn't speculate like mad when something this bizarre happens. It shows that his stories are interesting and unpredictable.

I agree that it's very likely that they expected it to be Annie so hard that they reacted that way. I just think it's strange for anyone who's read (and enjoyed) GC up until now to act like it's unreasonable for others to wonder if something more exotic is going on.

If I were a writer like Tom, this is exactly the sort of in[s]ane speculation that would make me belabor the obvious in the newspost below every comic that might concievably be misinterpreted. It's the sort of 'speculation' that shows that the readers have no idea about even the surface-level, obvious story I'm trying to tell.

The comic is depicting a humorously belated realization :: the big guy is Eglamore.

This isn't some kind of great mystery or even a cliffhanger; it's a plot twist, delivered in the form of a joke.

fatherdog posted:

I love you.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
So does that make Reynardine the kids' size?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I sort of figured this would happen because, Court politics or not, Annie's record with mediating has been kind of poo poo over the past year or so. She's moody, often selfish, at once enamored with and mildly disrespectful of the forest, and tried to light Jimmy Jims on fire that one time. She's still got a lot of maturing to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was still some kind of ulterior motive to denying her the position, though. Coyote's reaction will probably make or break that theory.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

fatherdog posted:

ahahahhaa oh my god

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fatherdog posted:

Hate to break it to you all, but Annie has always been shorter than Smitty.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Hate to break it to you all, but Annie has always been shorter than Smitty.

Hate to break it to him that he's right? :confused:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jon Joe posted:

Hate to break it to him that he's right? :confused:

Oh. Way for me to miss the pun. :geno:

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Donkringel posted:

Tom doesn't usually stick in gags like that so readily.
Goodness, have you forgotten the best page of Gunnerkrigg Court already?

Oh and don't you dare compare this comic to Ryan Sohmer's drivel even in passing, them's fightin' words. :toughguy:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 222 days!
I suppose that this could be a gambit to open negotiations with Coyote, if he really won't accept anyone but Annie as medium. On the other hand, Annie really isn't good at objectivity. Who would be at her age? Only the guy whose superpower is making things calm and orderly. Then again, that may be exactly why Coyote would want Annie for the job...

Also, Jones has clearly taken an interest in Annie. It may be that she recommended Annie for a position working with herself, which in turn eliminated her from consideration for medium.

That would dull the implications for Annie's characterization, though.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

I suppose that this could be a gambit to open negotiations with Coyote, if he really won't accept anyone but Annie as medium. On the other hand, Annie really isn't good at objectivity. Who would be at her age? Only the guy whose superpower is making things calm and orderly. Then again, that may be exactly why Coyote would want Annie for the job...

It does strike me as odd that the court would be looking at such young people for the role of medium. Even if they don't consider the creatures of the forest to be much more than animals they do still consider it a threat as a whole and want to maintain a connection even if just to study it more closely.

Keeping that connection means having a medium who can do the job well. Frankly I think Smits is technically the best of the three for the job but the Forest may not agree.

I wonder why Anja was never considered? Maybe she was and wanted nothing to do with it, though.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They choose the medium from a list of people with a connection to the ether, so far as I'm aware it's just the three of them, aside from the people from the forest.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

ChairMaster posted:

They choose the medium from a list of people with a connection to the ether, so far as I'm aware it's just the three of them, aside from the people from the forest.

OK, I think I do remember something along those lines. Although Anja is connected to the ether, is she not? She can use a blinker stone and all that jazz.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Damnit you made me do that thing where you read one archive comic and then read through the whole thing again.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

That's a price we all pay sooner or later, and often more than once.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

OK, I think I do remember something along those lines. Although Anja is connected to the ether, is she not? She can use a blinker stone and all that jazz.

I used poor wording, everyone is connected to the ether. Blinker stones are for stupid people who aren't familiar enough with it. I shoulda said they chose from people who have or are expected to have supernatural abilities, Smitty's orderliness, Annie and Parley both coming from parents with plenty of that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

I used poor wording, everyone is connected to the ether.

Except for Jones, evidently, since she's unable to even use a Blinker Stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Nooo my guess was wrong. Oh well.

Brightman posted:

Smitty's powers of order are going to make the Universe implode when they try to affect Coyote.