Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

General_Failure posted:

Of all the things that could have failed it was the diff? I'm really quite surprised. What lead to that happening?

What's surprising is its the REAR diff. Usually on the IFS landcruisers its the front diff that pops all the time.

Rear diff could be a myriad of reasons, but a highly likely one is that the pinion bearing spacer from factory is a crush tube that you pinch down and crush to get bearing preload. Problem is the fuckers don't STOP crushing and your bearing preload goes out the window, pinion gets sloppy, doesn't mesh with the crown wheel properly and puts all the load on the tips of the teeth, eventually shattering them off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

What's surprising is its the REAR diff. Usually on the IFS landcruisers its the front diff that pops all the time.

Rear diff could be a myriad of reasons, but a highly likely one is that the pinion bearing spacer from factory is a crush tube that you pinch down and crush to get bearing preload. Problem is the fuckers don't STOP crushing and your bearing preload goes out the window, pinion gets sloppy, doesn't mesh with the crown wheel properly and puts all the load on the tips of the teeth, eventually shattering them off

Are you making GBS threads me? That's a terrible idea for so many reasons.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

For your arverage cruiser that goes too and from the mall to the school to soccer practice to home, its never noticible and never an issue.

Once you use em offroad with bigger tyres and uprated power it becomes an issue.

Thats the factory spacer. The fix for cruiser diffs is an ARB locker (much stronger forged vs cast diff carrier) and a solid pinion spacer. It also means you wont lift a wheel spin the poo poo out of it and slam it into the ground shattering CV's too.

The design of them is a high pinion too- so the pinions high up on the crownwheel for clearance reasons, but it also means they are weaker in reverse.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

General_Failure posted:

I was watching it and thinking "What are those weird things sticking out of the B pillar and tunnel?". Angle changes a little and holy poo poo its ice! That's amazing. Any shots of the winch setup by the way? Rear mounted winches always interest me.

I'll get some better pictures of it tomorrow but I have this one for now.

We removed the stock bumpers and made new ones out of box tubing, then put the stock bumper cover over it. Front and rear bumpers have a 2" receiver and D rings. We made a plate to hold the winch, it can be mounted it the front or rear in the 2" receiver. The winch is a Warn XT40, a 4000lb winch made for atv's.

ETA: more pictures
http://imgur.com/a/qfDEz <--more pictures

Biscuit Joiner fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 27, 2013

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Took the fat lady just north of town and played in the mountains.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Crossposting...

get out and get... clean? I guess.

kastein posted:

Disregard extremely goony commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVM3TuK-lGA
Didn't actually end up needing the winch, just shoveling the pile of snow out from in front of my bumper to get at the winch did the trick. Funny thing is I wouldn't have gotten stuck if I hadn't slammed on the brakes to give the wipers a chance to catch up so I didn't drive into a tree.

Return trip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jatTzIDmsMk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm8oN9uht7c

I really, really need to build a proper camera mount for this thing, the "passenger holds a cellphone while bouncing around in the woods" method doesn't work too well and a suction cup mount tends to shake a lot.

This is one of the two roads I ran with my neighbor last night at around midnight. There was only around a foot to a foot and a half on the ground at that point, I'm not sure how deep it was today but it was about to the top of my bumper, which isn't all that low. I'll have to measure sometime if I remember to.

We didn't run the other road because the 5 foot snow pile I blasted through last night was several feet taller than that by today, and a lot thicker, and I was pretty sure I'd end up badly stuck if I tried.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

kastein posted:

Crossposting...

get out and get... clean? I guess.

When you came out at a stop sign it actually hit me how ridiculous that storm is.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
On that note I should say that there's a locked gate about 50 feet to the left at that stop sign. No one coming from that direction, ever, which is the only reason I blasted through it.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Testing the waters a bit on the logging roads. A few decent climbs but nothing too wild as there was just me and a buddy in the truck and no backup.

therunningman fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 11, 2013

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I moved my HD springs to the front and my med duties to the rear as I'm sick of the truck bottoming out on pebbles. I lost some articulation in the front, but atleast it sits level and has good roadmanners up to 80 or so.

Ice/snow driving! Jeez its a lot of fun to throw a 3 ton awd vehicle around on slush.

HDC works pretty well and I have quasi 4 wheel ETC. Just a few more days of playing with the abs controller and it'll be working full force.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HDC is definitely a pretty fun party trick. I've even had it come in genuinely useful once or twice.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I used it the other day on some old mining roads, I was *very* impressed. You might like this. I fitted the D type waabco abs system from the 99-02 P38s into mine. its a muuuuch better system.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

I used it the other day on some old mining roads, I was *very* impressed. You might like this. I fitted the D type waabco abs system from the 99-02 P38s into mine. its a muuuuch better system.

I don't know how different that is than what came in the D2's in actual performance, but the fact that even the D2 version does a perfect job of holding speed and a pretty drat good job at keeping your straight is good enough for me. But still, it's largely a party trick. I use it to play with it, not because I actually need it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
D2s iirc have etc on the rear only. the SLABS controller is totally different, theres like 6 plugs, as it does the self leveling bullshit some of those trucks had. Agreed, its a neat party trick, but if you know what you're doing, theres no real need.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I am surprised that your still not wondering all over the road with that lift. Guess it shows some of the engineering or lack of it on these trucks.

I am eagerly waiting a computer cover so that the slightest moisture doesn't provoke British electronics into a raging poo poo fit. The snows starting to melt and hopefully the trails start to open up.

@Motronic or CSB - Have you heard of GBR Performance? They have better drive train parts for rovers, thinking when spring comes and the lift goes on, I may end up with some new prop shafts. I am only going to do a 2 inch lift, but I figure if I am going to spend some cash, I might as well get some new ones as well. Or maybe just rebuild the current ones? The current ones have very little if any play, so I figure they are still good.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 10, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

D2s iirc have etc on the rear only.

I don't know about the HDC as I've never been out of the truck when it was doing anything, but I can tell you for sure that traction control is 4 wheel on them. I'd assume that means HDC uses all 4 as well, but who knows with British electronics.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Have you heard of GBR Performance?

As in Great Basin? They are considered to be decent. I've never bought any of their stuff so I don't know first hand.

Why would you be replacing prop shafts if they are greasable and don't have any play?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

As in Great Basin? They are considered to be decent. I've never bought any of their stuff so I don't know first hand.

Why would you be replacing prop shafts if they are greasable and don't have any play?

Yes, Great Basin - They recently changed their name. The only reason I would be replacing would be due to the 2 inch lift planned, I am not sure how much extra stress I would be placing on the shafts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Yes, Great Basin - They recently changed their name. The only reason I would be replacing would be due to the 2 inch lift planned, I am not sure how much extra stress I would be placing on the shafts.

I don't understand how other shafts are going to help with that.

If you want to be worried about anything after a lift, start worrying about axles if you use the extra clearance to put big meat on there.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm familiar with GBR. they make good stuff. with a 2", i'd just throw in new neapco joints and call it a day. *mine* is the one that needs the front shaft. its PISSED since I swapped the springs.
Tom woods also builds good driveshafts.
Motronic: He's talking about going to a double cardan shaft vs the single jointed one now.

108" wheelbase helps the highway drivability. if it were a D-90" or a rrc/Disco 100" Nofuckingway. I regularly tow poo poo with it too. *shrug*

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Motronic: He's talking about going to a double cardan shaft vs the single jointed one now.

Oh....that's right, you don't have one of those to begin with on those trucks.

Yeah, nobody does that for 2".

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
No need for extended brake lines either. even with mine with the ride height of international space station it still has a little room left.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Since I moved to this city (Sacramento) back in June, I've been itching to find a place to go wheeling. Nothing too crazy, just some mud and poo poo. I didn't want to drive too far just to bomb up fire roads. Checked out Prairie City SVRA today, and it was pretty good. Experienced wheelers will probably be bored, but for average rigs it provides plenty of stuff to learn on and get dirty.

I took one picture, had a blast. Need to come back with a few friends.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

My car gets dirtier than most 4x4's.

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

Slow is Fast posted:

My car gets dirtier than most 4x4's.

Aw you went rally crossing in a man made mud pit.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I dropped my truck off a few weeks ago for some warranty work on the engine, took way way longer than expected due to the shop getting completely slammed [21 H1's in line for service or complete tear down and restoration].

I dropped by to check things out and what did I see parked behind my truck?

A LM002, completely original, including the tires.

The best part? It was a barn find. The PO traded it for a 90's GMC pickup and an old horse trailer worth about $15,000.

It needs some minor work and new tires but it's a pretty neat ride, I'll post more pics when I dig out my camera.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Geared Hub posted:

I dropped my truck off a few weeks ago for some warranty work on the engine, took way way longer than expected due to the shop getting completely slammed [21 H1's in line for service or complete tear down and restoration].

I dropped by to check things out and what did I see parked behind my truck?

The best part? It was a barn find. The PO traded it for a 90's GMC pickup and an old horse trailer worth about $15,000.

It needs some minor work and new tires but it's a pretty neat ride, I'll post more pics when I dig out my camera.

The page was loading and doing its twitch fest and I thought I saw LM002 somewhere. I instantly started trying my damndest to scroll to the bottom to see. Surely I was mistaken. Holy poo poo that's the barn find of a lifetime!

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

cursedshitbox posted:

I moved my HD springs to the front and my med duties to the rear as I'm sick of the truck bottoming out on pebbles. I lost some articulation in the front, but atleast it sits level and has good roadmanners up to 80 or so.

Ice/snow driving! Jeez its a lot of fun to throw a 3 ton awd vehicle around on slush.

HDC works pretty well and I have quasi 4 wheel ETC. Just a few more days of playing with the abs controller and it'll be working full force.

Very nice.
I'm thinking of picking up an L322 for Towing/Pimping/Light Offroading. Besides more aggressive tires, I want to put a winch on it. Do you have a source for winch mount bumpers for Ranges?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kmcormick9 posted:

Very nice.
I'm thinking of picking up an L322 for Towing/Pimping/Light Offroading. Besides more aggressive tires, I want to put a winch on it. Do you have a source for winch mount bumpers for Ranges?

Worry about getting it sorted before you do ANY thing to it. These trucks are extremely complicated (more so than the P38's) and will have issues that need looked at.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geared Hub posted:

Aren't the LM002 tires ridiculously expensive these days?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

These trucks are extremely complicated (more so than the P38's) and will have issues that need looked at.

They are also extremely reliable compared to even the nicest example of a P38 one could find at this point.

kmcormick9 posted:

Very nice.

Slow down and figure out what you need a winch for and how much clearance you'll need in the front as well as any other features you may need in a front bumper.

You may be interested in something as simple as a factory winch tray or something as elaborate as a high approach angle custom job with bull bars to you can attach limb risers. These trucks can be set up for so many different things that a part that sounds as simple as "winch bumper" can involve dozens of choices.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Looking at winch bumper prices for, well, basically any make/model is one of the things that makes me very glad I learned to weld.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Looking at winch bumper prices for, well, basically any make/model is one of the things that makes me very glad I learned to weld.

Seriously. They are usually pretty horrendous. Even the more mass-produced ones.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

They are also extremely reliable compared to even the nicest example of a P38 one could find at this point.

Unless its CSB's Rover... with the motor work he has done, lift and the bigger tires..... yeah, thats a pretty bad rear end P38.

Though I have been noticing the L322 03 models showing on the market are pretty ratty too.... Again these are starting to be owned by people that really have no idea what they are doing with them.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Shh! It'll hear you! 7,000 miles on the new engine so far.

The bumper on my truck retailed for around 1500 dollars with the added ribbing and such. :v:

want to buy a L322?
bags are getting to be at end of service, and they arent exactly cheap on the front.
Get a REAL trans cooler. I'm hearing these things popping transmissions regularly if you tow with it.
Other than that, the only issues I have logged are little poo poo like blower resistors.
oh, and its canbus and not the bastardized kwp2000 with extra gently caress off data packets in the system.

Geared hub: Nice H1 and LM002.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Unless its CSB's Rover... with the motor work he has done, lift and the bigger tires..... yeah, thats a pretty bad rear end P38.

I don't recall him retrofitting it with the fuse box, climate control, or ABS from a vehicle that didn't have theirs made from recycled beer cans.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
bwahahahahaa. Silver soldered fuse box. when it dies. I'm building my own. I keep getting them for under 20 dollars so *shrug*.

HeVac was rebuilt last december. aaand the etc/abs is from the 99-02 models so its less inclined to kill me since it uses steel pistons instead of plastic.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Aren't the LM002 tires ridiculously expensive these days?

Yeah, I think the only time a set gets produced is when a owners group does a big batch order with the factory. At least if you want to preserve the speed rating on sand, otherwise I've heard of owners using wider swampers.

On another front the Humvee-C/H1 glider kits seem to be a success, AM General got enough deposits and paid in advance orders to start production at the hmmwv plant in south bend next month. I'm guessing they got about 50-100 orders in.

Thats good news for me, since that kit uses the latest revision HMMWV parts, a few previously military only upgrades will become available through the standard parts chain.

I'm eyeballing the newish 6 piston brake caliper kit to replace the old 1 piston AMC/Jeep ones on my truck.

Not a real big difference for off road use but for highway driving getting some extra stopping power would be nice.

I asked about the small block 3.2L Turbo diesel they licensed from steyr and that's still a no-go for the moment for public sale. :(

Got a few pics of the production final product:

It's got a larger lift than a stock HMMWV, it'll fit many drive train options you want to throw into it [with the exception of the latest ford powerstroke I'm told]. They added a hard door option, the aluminum door from early hmmwvs. e-locker front and rear with the upgraded brake system. A blacked out civilian interior from the 04/06 model year.

The wheels are a two piece civilian 17" alloy version of the military wheels, they replaced the runflat donut with a beadlock right which makes tire swaps easy.

I was hoping to get one at 45,000$ which was around the original rumored price but at $59,000 plus the cost of a donor engine/tranny I'd rather just pop a lift on mine, and do a duramax conversion for around $12-14,000 if I get the spare space :(

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 18, 2013

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

More photos of my shenanigans later.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is that as steep as it looks? Cause it looks crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Close!