Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Axetrain posted:

Cuomo, Schweitzer, maybe Castro or Deval Patrick. I've heard people mention Warren but that seems super super unlikely to me.

If it ends up being Cuomo vs Christie or Rubio you're pretty much looking at a pit of despair for liberals. Cuomo is HORRIBLE. Killing his campaign in the crib should be pretty much the no 1 priority for progressives in the next few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Castro seems awesome, but too young/fresh. He needs another cycle or two.

The rest? I'm not impressed. I like Schweitzer, but would he have enough national pull?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Could Castro really jump up that quickly? Isn't he kind of limited in terms of larger state-wide office by being in Texas?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Well yeah Cuomo is probably the favorite after Hillary and biden (and yes he's poo poo so hopefully its not him) after him I'm just throwing out the more distant ideas, well distant at the moment at least there is a lot of time for things to change between here and there. Progressives I think should be pulling for schweitzer, he is relativley unknown to the population at large but is popular with those who do know him, he's also very much in favor of single payer and has a sort of folksy cowboy charm that would probably be appealing to south western voters. Yeah Patrick and Castro aren't as experienced but the same criticism was thrown at Obama a whole lot to no avail so eh.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure every left wing blog on earth will tear Cuomo apart thouroughly enough and organize Iowa and New Hampshire so hard he doesn't go anywhere.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Cuomo is probably the left's Mitt Romney. IE, most primed to take it(if no Biden/Hillary), but everyone hates him.

I don't think the Dem bench is that terrible, at least when compared to the 2012 Republican bench - there's no active trainwrecks or people worth loathing in some of the lower names tossed about. O'Malley has kinda petered out in discussion due to some fumbles at the DNC - but honestly, O'Malley would still be preferable to any Republican, and I think he'd be able to carry it as such if some crazy long shot he got the nomination. But really, the Dem 2016 Primary race is either going to be an inevitable(Hillary/Biden) or fairly boring.(What venom can Cuomo really throw at the Castro brothers or Patrick?)

As daunting as Chris Christie or Rubio is, they still have the crazy republican party behind them which will drag them to hell despite all their moderate appearance.

ReindeerF posted:

Biden/Schweitzer '16: Drivin' it like we stole it!

As awesome as this would be, I really can't see the Dems doing double white guys again for years, if ever. Hillary/Schweitzer maybe, if it's Biden, his VP would be a Castro brother or maybe Kristen Gillibrand.

Axetrain posted:

Progressives I think should be pulling for schweitzer, he is relativley unknown to the population at large but is popular with those who do know him, he's also very much in favor of single payer and has a sort of folksy cowboy charm that would probably be appealing to south western voters.

I want to see a Schweitzer led ticket bad, though. Character I think, means more than any issue - let's have the left do the folksy cowboy charm, present some progressive issues as more than big government, but instead 'common sense'. It could do wonders to help the messaging by repackaging what the right has tried so hard to spin as 'liberal ivory tower elite garbage', dumping the idea of 'Real America' right on its head. A leftist Sarah Palin, except you know, not an idiot and a trainwreck(okay so not that much like Sarah Palin). I really wonder if Schweitzer got the Obama Machine behind him and if it were marketed right, if he could turn Texas into a possible battleground - I think he'd definitely bring Montana at the very least.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Axetrain posted:

Well yeah Cuomo is probably the favorite after Hillary and biden (and yes he's poo poo so hopefully its not him) after him I'm just throwing out the more distant ideas, well distant at the moment at least there is a lot of time for things to change between here and there. Progressives I think should be pulling for schweitzer, he is relativley unknown to the population at large but is popular with those who do know him, he's also very much in favor of single payer and has a sort of folksy cowboy charm that would probably be appealing to south western voters. Yeah Patrick and Castro aren't as experienced but the same criticism was thrown at Obama a whole lot to no avail so eh.

Cuomo has a LOT of chances to burn bridges now though- the gun control legislation he pushed through after Sandy Hook, and the fracking debate could eat him alive to the point that he is not a shoo-in for re-election in 2014. He should still win, but it is gonna be a whole lot closer than it was in 2010 (62-33)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Cuomo is probably the left's Mitt Romney. IE, most primed to take it(if no Biden/Hillary), but everyone hates him.

I don't think the Dem bench is that terrible, at least when compared to the 2012 Republican bench - there's no active trainwrecks or people worth loathing in some of the lower names tossed about. O'Malley has kinda petered out in discussion due to some fumbles at the DNC - but honestly, O'Malley would still be preferable to any Republican, and I think he'd be able to carry it as such if some crazy long shot he got the nomination. But really, the Dem 2016 Primary race is either going to be an inevitable(Hillary/Biden) or fairly boring.(What venom can Cuomo really throw at the Castro brothers or Patrick?)

O'Malley just comes off as a dumbass without much depth or policy knowledge...

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Cuomo muscled through gay marriage in a political situation where it looked dead, the idea that the organized left outside of maybe the public sector unions will actively oppose him is pure fantasy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

Cuomo muscled through gay marriage in a political situation where it looked dead, the idea that the organized left outside of maybe the public sector unions will actively oppose him is pure fantasy.

He also showed extraordinary political cowardice in the New York Legislature debacle after the election. I'm not sure exactly, other than third way morons, where his constituency is.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

mcmagic posted:

He also showed extraordinary political cowardice in the New York Legislature debacle after the election. I'm not sure exactly, other than third way morons, where his constituency is.

If the Democrats had organized together to get control of the New York Senate, they would have been at the mercy of the nominal "Democrats" like Simcha Felder and Ruben Diaz who are in actuality the most conservative members of the chamber of either party (let alone the corrupt Dems who don't even vote based on any principles). Given that set of Democrats, I don't blame Cuomo for backing the IDC.

If you want to describe Cuomo as a coward for refusing to clean up the worst from his own party, I wouldn't quibble, but that's not a fight any of the progressive heroes of New York have been willing to take either.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

If the Democrats had organized together to get control of the New York Senate, they would have been at the mercy of the nominal "Democrats" like Simcha Felder and Ruben Diaz who are in actuality the most conservative members of the chamber of either party (let alone the corrupt Dems who don't even vote based on any principles). Given that set of Democrats, I don't blame Cuomo for backing the IDC.

If you want to describe Cuomo as a coward for refusing to clean up the worst from his own party, I wouldn't quibble, but that's not a fight any of the progressive heroes of New York have been willing to take either.

He's a coward because he wants a republican legislature due to his not being a liberal or caring about liberal priorities and he doesn't want to have to sign anything that will hurt his standing with the buddies in "Fix the Debt," Third Way or any of his other horrible doners. Not to let the awful NY state democratic party off the hook but the NY democratic party isn't going to run for president.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

mcmagic posted:

He's a coward because he wants a republican legislature due to his not being a liberal or caring about liberal priorities and he doesn't want to have to sign anything that will hurt his standing with the buddies in "Fix the Debt," Third Way or any of his other horrible doners. Not to let the awful NY state democratic party off the hook but the NY democratic party isn't going to run for president.

That legislature was not going to pass anything to hurt Cuomo's "standing" no matter whether the Senate majority was led by Klein, Skelos, Simpson, or Stewart-Cousins, something which is obvious to anyone with even a passing familiarity with the current makeup of not just the New York Senate but the leadership of the New York Assembly. There is little political will in that state for economically progressive ideas, Cuomo or otherwise.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
I can't tell if I like the "XisANUMBER.com" crowd or not;
https://www.hillaryis44.com
https://www.hillaryis45.com
https://www.ryanis45.com
https://www.rubiois45.com

Though they're missing Cuomo, Jindal and the others I looked for. I probably like them given the joy hillaryis44 generated!

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Cuomo's literally The Worst, but he'll be Governor as long as he wants to in this state. Ain't a lot of Republicans doing terribly well on the big stages here.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

Well good thing for him that's who picks the nominee.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

menino posted:

Could Castro really jump up that quickly? Isn't he kind of limited in terms of larger state-wide office by being in Texas?

I think it's just wishful thinking at the moment, you need to do a little more than Mayor of San Antonio to line up a presidential run. That being said if Castro could snag an upset win for Governor, Senate, even Congress, it would be a big political victory and bolster his hopes at winning the 2024 primary or whenever.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
There already is a Castro brother in congress!

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

I would absolutely love to see the reaction to President B Hussein Obama being succeeded by President Castro.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

If Castro could get elected Governor or to the U.S. Senate in TX, then he's instantly a contender for the Presidency and threatens to turn TX into a battleground overnight, but those are tough rows to hoe. He'd be handicapped by Democratic Party weakness in Texas.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zwabu posted:

If Castro could get elected Governor or to the U.S. Senate in TX, then he's instantly a contender for the Presidency and threatens to turn TX into a battleground overnight, but those are tough rows to hoe. He'd be handicapped by Democratic Party weakness in Texas.

The one benefit he has that Bill White didn't though is that he's (probably) not running against an incumbent in 2014.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

The one benefit he has that Bill White didn't though is that he's (probably) not running against an incumbent in 2014.

Wouldn't he be better off running against Perry, though? Opinion on Perry is really low here (Dewhurst lost the Senate primary race partly due to being associated with Perry) and there's a big chance that he would probably not win reelection if he ran in 2014. I'd like to believe that Perry would get primaried from the left but we'll probably just elect another Tea Party nutjob again :smith:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HorseRenoir posted:

Wouldn't he be better off running against Perry, though? Opinion on Perry is really low here (Dewhurst lost the Senate primary race partly due to being associated with Perry) and there's a big chance that he would probably not win reelection if he ran in 2014. I'd like to believe that Perry would get primaried from the left but we'll probably just elect another Tea Party nutjob again :smith:

It was low the last time around too, although polls I've seen have White vs Perry at a 3% D advantage at the moment.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A coalition of groups is taking out a full page ad to blast Cuomo on the issue of fracking.

The ad is scheduled to run in the Des Moines Register.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why? No one except the extremely informed gives a gently caress about fracking. If you're going to preemptively attack Cuomo do it on an issue Iowans actually care about.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Biden to Politico: "I am not running" for Pope.

greatn posted:

Why? No one except the extremely informed gives a gently caress about fracking. If you're going to preemptively attack Cuomo do it on an issue Iowans actually care about.

Yes, well, I think the groups sponsoring the ad like Greenpeace, 350.org, and Americans Against Fracking care about the fracking issue.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

greatn posted:

This early, it's about poisoning Cuomo's name with precinct captains and local organizers who make winning Iowa possible. They may very well care about fracking.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

This early, it's about poisoning Cuomo's name with precinct captains and local organizers who make winning Iowa possible. They may very well care about fracking.

Yeah, I thought I'd read that the Iowa Caucuses are on the Democratic side are a lot more reflective of liberal activist Democrats than the national average. Friends of mine who live there, campaigned hard for Obama in 08 and 12 and are delegates who attend the DNC fall under this category, they strike me as the type who would care about an issue like fracking.

I think the point Joementum was making is that someone is playing a pretty long game.

The cool thing about Joementum's username is that if Biden actually does make a serious run then it can be paired up with a whole new avatar and meaning.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

greatn posted:

Nationally it might only have limited appeal, but I've been hearing about the issue pretty much non-stop since moving to Albany three years ago; up here, as well as in PA, fracking is very much A Thing people care about.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Zwabu posted:

Yeah, I thought I'd read that the Iowa Caucuses are on the Democratic side are a lot more reflective of liberal activist Democrats than the national average. Friends of mine who live there, campaigned hard for Obama in 08 and 12 and are delegates who attend the DNC fall under this category, they strike me as the type who would care about an issue like fracking.

Iowa is not PA so the issue isn't even local, though.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Adar posted:

Iowa is not PA so the issue isn't even local, though.

No, but it is going to get the thought into people's heads, and they are gonna look and see that is an issue that is going to make Cuomo very unpopular in his state. As was said, fracking is most definitely A Thing, especially in upstate New York, and no matter what decision is made, he is gonna piss off a large portion of the state. In the long run, is it going to cost him the Governorship? Probably not. It IS going to reduce his margin in '14 though, and it will remind anyone who looks at it as it regards '16 that New York State politics is amazingly rear end-backwards dysfunctional at the best of times, and that is going to hurt anyone in Albany who is thinking about going national.

It's also really a moot point if Hillary runs. If she doesn't, Cuomo may throw his hat in the ring, but I don't think he gets close to the nomination. Gillibrand in the VP slot is kind of an intriguing notion though.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

RIP Rubio 2016
11/7/2012 - 2/12/2013

We will never forget. :patriot:

oldfan fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 13, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

jeffersonlives posted:

RIP Rubio 2016
11/7/2012 - 2/12/2013

We will never forget. :patriot:

What did he do to kill his career?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://vine.co/v/bvErIBTIzOj

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not complete without the mouth wipe.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Ramadu posted:

What did he do to kill his career?
He delivered a speech with a setting so awkwardly palpable that there a hostages in Al Qaeda videos who have delivered smoother speeches.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's not even the water-sip (although that's gold). Here was a platform Rubio had which put him opposite the President on a national stage. Sure, not as many people watch, but it's still a big job. He was visibly uncomfortable the whole time, his speech was shaky and he had a real flop-sweat going. Even Rand Paul who came on after did a better job of seeming calm and in control. If Rubio's going to bring that anxiety into the primaries in a few years he's going to get eaten alive.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

Dolash posted:

It's not even the water-sip (although that's gold). Here was a platform Rubio had which put him opposite the President on a national stage. Sure, not as many people watch, but it's still a big job. He was visibly uncomfortable the whole time, his speech was shaky and he had a real flop-sweat going. Even Rand Paul who came on after did a better job of seeming calm and in control. If Rubio's going to bring that anxiety into the primaries in a few years he's going to get eaten alive.
Rubio didn't did a bad job at the RNC, so this was probably a matter of bad production in addition to bad delivery: Make the room cold and have the speaker well hydrated and comfortable.

His chances in 2016 are already going to be an uphill climb after saying Social Security has made us weaker -- if he even runs. I realize that candidates have come back from saying dumb things before, but this bad speech (and series of awkward moments) could have been one mistake too many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dolash posted:

Well that and it's about as canned a speech as you could make.

• Locked thread