Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Remember that the filesystems are different between the two.

I'm going to do a complete wipe anyway, so there shouldnt be a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Athenry posted:

I've been using CWMR without rom manager for ages.
What he means to say is that you can't use something like CyanDelta or the advanced scheduling features without paying for RM license. Like you I just the recovery myself and never had a need for app control but if Koush ever gets around to doing delta updates for CM nightlies I'll buy RM Pro for that. He deserves some money for all the work he's put into the Android community and CWR doesn't look like a visual abortion like TWRP.

anime and cars posted:

I'm going to do a complete wipe anyway, so there shouldnt be a problem?
It actually has to do with where the "internal storage" is located so a wipe wouldn't sidestep the /0/0/0/0 problem.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 10, 2013

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is there a known issue with CM10.1 nightlies and d2* devices where the menu/home/back buttons start to act like you're long pressing them when you touch them? Rebooting fixes it but it seems to happen about once a day now. I also seem to lose swipe actions in Nova Launcher when this happens. If it's just me, I guess I'll just wipe and start fresh.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is there a known issue with CM10.1 nightlies and d2* devices where the menu/home/back buttons start to act like you're long pressing them when you touch them? Rebooting fixes it but it seems to happen about once a day now. I also seem to lose swipe actions in Nova Launcher when this happens. If it's just me, I guess I'll just wipe and start fresh.

Yeah I've been getting it too. Eventually all touch interactions register as long presses the longer the system is on, which is probably why gestures break. I couldn't find any mention of it the issue on the xda thread, but to be honest I didn't look very hard.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Yeah, I've been having those issues too. Glad to hear it's not just me.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I recently did a fresh install of the latest CM9 nightly (20130203) on my Touchpad, and I'm having a problem where Gmail force closes as soon as I open it. I'm running the latest GApps for CM9/Ice Cream Sandwich (20120429) and I've tried uninstalling Gmail, restarting, reinstalling, clearing app data, fixing permissions in recovery, and just restarting it a couple times to no avail. It worked before I did the clean install (was working on the previous nightly, from January).

What else can I try? Its not a show stopper for me, but it would be nice to get it working again.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

I recently did a fresh install of the latest CM9 nightly (20130203) on my Touchpad, and I'm having a problem where Gmail force closes as soon as I open it. I'm running the latest GApps for CM9/Ice Cream Sandwich (20120429) and I've tried uninstalling Gmail, restarting, reinstalling, clearing app data, fixing permissions in recovery, and just restarting it a couple times to no avail. It worked before I did the clean install (was working on the previous nightly, from January).

What else can I try? Its not a show stopper for me, but it would be nice to get it working again.
Have you tried installing it via the backup in Titanium?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Have you tried installing it via the backup in Titanium?

Would that work across roms/platforms? I don't bother with [Titanium] backups on the tablet, but I could try restoring it from my phone.

VV Edited to be a little clearer. I'll try it out with the phone backup first, that'll be quicker. I have a nandroid of the last nightly on the tablet with working Gmail et al, so I could restore that and pull it from there too if the phone version doesn't work.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 11, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

Would that work across roms/platforms? I don't bother with backups on the tablet, but I could try restoring it from my phone.
That I don't know, but I guessing you're learning the value of keeping backups.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Why are apps so finicky when you install a new ROM?

I FINALLY got CleanROM Inheritance to install properly after 5 hour of messing with stuff and an hour cowering in the corner thinking that I bricked my tablet. Apparently, once you install a custom recovery on an ASUS Transformer series tablet you should never use the Wipe Data command in the stock Power+Vol. Up menu.

System UI kept crashing on me and I had done what I just said not to. I was able to fix it though by using TWRM to wipe data, cache, etc. etc. It scared the life out of me thinking I had bricked my tablet.

I figured a ROM installation would be like an OS install. Start from scratch on everything, but apparently it just removes parts of the old ROM and puts in the new parts.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

I figured a ROM installation would be like an OS install. Start from scratch on everything, but apparently it just removes parts of the old ROM and puts in the new parts.

It depends exactly what you flash. Most "ROM"s only include a system partition image so you're only replacing that. that means your existing data partition stays the same and unsurprisingly the phone then tends to poo poo itself because it has data for apps that aren't installed and incompatible data for apps that now have different versions installed.

If you flash something like a Nexus Factory image then it has system, data, bootloader, recovery (and you can wipe the cache manually) then that's going to give you a clean start.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So I've rooted my EVO 4G using the HTC boot unlocker supplied by HTC itself, then following Captain Throwback's method (found here)to downgrade from gingerbread 2.3.5 to froyo (I don't know exactly which one) and bootloader 2.10, from which then I could apply the unrEVOked method of rooting the phone all the way to S-OFF and everything.

I've made backups of my nandroid, including WIMAX, and seem to have everything working.

My question is: Is there a way to upgrade to a gingerbread 2.3.5 (or some other gingerbread) that will still allow all the superuser and root privaledges? essentially a modified gingerbread which doesnt erase all the root stuff I've done?

I want to do this before I install any custom ROM because theres one particular app I want to download which it wont let me do from a froyo phone. Once ive downloaded it, im going to extract the APK and back it up, then do a fresh wipe and instal some custom ROM.

By the way, is thera CM rom which supports 4G yet?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Is there an actual solution to the terrible battery life of the n4? Because even with franco kernel and cm10 i still can't get my phone to last more than 24 hours on a single charge. It just drains all of my battery doing nothing, BBS just says MSM HSIC HOST and POWER MANAGER and RADIO INTERFACE which is just great because thats what franco is supposed to fix

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
I messed up my phone I believe.

I had CM 10.1 unofficial installed on my EVO 4g LTE then I decided I wanted to use the official w/ nightlies. So I did a factory reset and then put the nightly on my phone and flashed it along with the wrong version of gapps, because I did the wrong version the phone wouldn't boot so I did another factory reset which allowed the phone to boot.

However, now my phone doesn't recognize the sd card, whenever I try to factory reset I get:
E:failed to mount /sd-ext (No such file or directory)
E:failed to mount /sdcard (invalid argument)

Also after that I booted up the phone and the keyboard and apps weren't working (settings did at least) so I wiped system which was dumb but it was something that I read would help that problem but I didn't really think about it.

I have no backups or zips to install through recovery on my phone because it was wiped.

I can get into recovery but I can't boot up into the phone.

Gonna try the RUU. - Because I can only go into recovery or the HTC screen, the RUU isn't able to get past "Verifying information on your android phone. please wait..." It errors and I have to exit the program.

What can I do? :(

When I mount through recovery, windows says I have to format the disk to use it. Will this get rid of recovery?

RESOLVED through using the mount feature in TWRP and formatting the SD. I feel so stupid but I finally got it to work!

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 11, 2013

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

nigga crab pollock posted:

Is there an actual solution to the terrible battery life of the n4? Because even with franco kernel and cm10 i still can't get my phone to last more than 24 hours on a single charge. It just drains all of my battery doing nothing, BBS just says MSM HSIC HOST and POWER MANAGER and RADIO INTERFACE which is just great because thats what franco is supposed to fix

I just think that battery life is not a priority for Nexus devices. Just like all the Nexus devices have super mediocre cameras.

Meanwhile on my SGS3...

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So uhh am I just some really dumb rear end in a top hat who doesn't know how to Android? I say this because I just installed the release candidate of Paranoid Android 3.0 to replace CM10 on my Nexus 7, but I can see that the 8-some gigs of music (plus the apps and whatnot) I had on here before is still in there, locked away from sight. How can I fully get rid of all that stuff because I really just want a fresh start on this thing?

E: Well I found the files from my CM10 install, but I really wish that there was a way to delete all of the files from that install and my stock install (I'm sure those are in there somewhere too) in a batch, since Factory Resets don't seem to do that.

E2: AHA! I have done it! Through my sheer genius (read: stupidity), I deleted my /sdcard and /data using ClockworkMod Recovery and then spent the next three hours pissing my pants trying to get sideload to work, but I got it in the end!

Demostrs fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 12, 2013

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

How is your cell signal? I don't see anything similar to that on my N4 but I have decent signal for most of the day.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

4.2.2 is rolling out now for the Galaxy Nexus, the Nexus 7, and the Nexus 10. I'd imagine the Nexus 4 isn't hitting right now just to fix these specific problems so wait a little bit and hope the Code Aurora stuff fixes things. Remember that the Code Aurora fixes right now only work on wifi, not cellular.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Apparently the new 4.2.2 update rolling out has a new radio in it. Will that get merged into CM10.1 when they add 4.2.2, or will I have to do something special to upgrade the radio in my Galaxy Nexus?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

Apparently the new 4.2.2 update rolling out has a new radio in it. Will that get merged into CM10.1 when they add 4.2.2, or will I have to do something special to upgrade the radio in my Galaxy Nexus?
You'll need to flash it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Franco kernel R71 added the configuration menu and the halfbreed preset (aka the stock ParanoidAndroid kernel's color settings) just turned the Nexus 4 display into pure bliss.

Configure your gamma with the following:
Whites 64
Mids 68
Blacks 118
Contrast 25
Brightness 4
Saturation 66
Greys 32

And if you want an APK to do it for you, check this link:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=37813933#post37813933

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gozinbulx posted:

My question is: Is there a way to upgrade to a gingerbread 2.3.5 (or some other gingerbread) that will still allow all the superuser and root privaledges? essentially a modified gingerbread which doesnt erase all the root stuff I've done?
Install any custom ROM? There are also rooted stock ROMs which are exactly what you're looking for, the official release modified with root built in.

quote:

I want to do this before I install any custom ROM because theres one particular app I want to download which it wont let me do from a froyo phone. Once ive downloaded it, im going to extract the APK and back it up, then do a fresh wipe and instal some custom ROM.
Why do you think you need to be stock to download this?

quote:

By the way, is thera CM rom which supports 4G yet?

Any 2.3.x ROM that doesn't suck supports every bit of hardware on the phone. 4G came around as a beta in CM6 and shipped officially in CM7, all other AOSP ROMs followed soon after. Anything stock-derived obviously had it working from day one unless the person packaging the ROM is an idiot.

4.x ROMs do not support the front-facing camera, have some intermittent graphical quirks with live preview of the rear camera, and do not support WiMax last I checked.

I'm running an Evervolv AOSP 4.2 nightly, but I never use FFC and live outside of WiMax service so I'm not losing anything important.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
So I'm currently running a six month old bugless beast jellybean rom on my Verizon galaxy nexus (im terrified of flashing new roms because i always screw up the backup process and or the the rom installation part) and over the past month or see so it's been running increasingly sluggishly and has now begun randomly crashing on me, so it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and install a new rom. What's the go to rom people are using on the vzw nexus these days?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

wolrah posted:

Why do you think you need to be stock to download this?

I've since found that its apparently not in the Play store at all anymore.

You wouldn't happen to know where there is some kind of database of old Play store apps do you? I mean the free ones, I'm not asking for pirated apps. This app was free.

Also thanks for all the other info.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

DeceasedHorse posted:

So I'm currently running a six month old bugless beast jellybean rom on my Verizon galaxy nexus (im terrified of flashing new roms because i always screw up the backup process and or the the rom installation part) and over the past month or see so it's been running increasingly sluggishly and has now begun randomly crashing on me, so it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and install a new rom. What's the go to rom people are using on the vzw nexus these days?

When I had a VZW Galaxy Nexus, I swore by CyanogenMOD 10.1. Solid as a brick.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I have a VZW Galaxy Nexus, and cyanogen mod 10.1 is amazing. Solid, stable and responsive. The built in updater is fantastic, it's a no effort way of going to a newer nightly, on whatever schedule you want

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Alarbus posted:

I have a VZW Galaxy Nexus, and cyanogen mod 10.1 is amazing. Solid, stable and responsive. The built in updater is fantastic, it's a no effort way of going to a newer nightly, on whatever schedule you want

If you're concerned with not having to download 100mb+ each night, get CyanDelta Updater, just adds the changes into a nice, flashable zip file based on your version.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lblitzer posted:

If you're concerned with not having to download 100mb+ each night, get CyanDelta Updater, just adds the changes into a nice, flashable zip file based on your version.

Seconding the gently caress out of this. I've had it for a while on my Sprint GN and it has worked flawlessly. If you have TWRP it'll even auto-flash the whole shebang plus anything else you may desire (such as special gapps versions or system apps you can't install via apk)

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I started using CyanDelta, and it really is impressive. I was skeptical at first, but it's a drat good. Even if you don't flash every night (I sure as hell don't) it saves a ton of time. Even waiting 2-3 weeks between flashes I still only download 20-30 MB.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Some people think turning off NFC helps.

I'm at a disadvantage though because my home has lovely signal which drains the battery. At work I get full strength signal and there's a noticeable difference in battery life over that 12hrs than the 12hrs I spent at home.

I'm gonna experiment with a custom tile in PA so I can easily switch to 2G at home then switch to 3G soon as I'm out of the little dip my village resides in!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

The worst part about being rooted and running custom ROMs: waiting for an update to be merged with your ROM of choice. I bought a Nexus device so I wouldn't have to wait for updates. Stupid CyanogenMod being so good :(

It's kind of pathetic though, because a few weeks delay is nothing compared to the year and a half delay I got on my previous phones.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Surely it should only take a couple of days at most for them to merge? I think PA will have their 4.2.2 base out by end of the week.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Frozen-Solid posted:

The worst part about being rooted and running custom ROMs: waiting for an update to be merged with your ROM of choice. I bought a Nexus device so I wouldn't have to wait for updates. Stupid CyanogenMod being so good :(

It's kind of pathetic though, because a few weeks delay is nothing compared to the year and a half delay I got on my previous phones.

Once the code is up in AOSP (which I believe it should already be - it was uploading last night), it should be merged w/in a few days.

I'd say by early next week at the latest.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I know. It's a few days for small patches like this and a few weeks when they Google adds/changes big features that might conflict with things CM was already doing (like CM10->10.1). I'm just an impatient rear end in a top hat, which is why it's pathetic because I was never in a position to care about being up to date on Android before.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Frozen-Solid posted:

I know. It's a few days for small patches like this and a few weeks when they Google adds/changes big features that might conflict with things CM was already doing (like CM10->10.1). I'm just an impatient rear end in a top hat, which is why it's pathetic because I was never in a position to care about being up to date on Android before.

Welcome to the wonderfulness world of rooted custom roms! You will :f5: to hell to get that new feature you'll never use! I'm in the same boat.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
As an unwashed pleb, I want to get in on this rooting business for my Galaxy Nexus, primarily to see if I can improve the battery life and reception (also because this kind of tinkering appeals to me) but the OP and other resources are from 2010. Is there an updated version or a reference guide that I could use to make sure I don't brick my phone and can pick the most relevant/interesting stuff?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

burnsep posted:

As an unwashed pleb, I want to get in on this rooting business for my Galaxy Nexus, primarily to see if I can improve the battery life and reception (also because this kind of tinkering appeals to me) but the OP and other resources are from 2010. Is there an updated version or a reference guide that I could use to make sure I don't brick my phone and can pick the most relevant/interesting stuff?

Galaxy Nexus GSM? CyanogenMod install guide is up to date.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

burnsep posted:

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

One-stop root/unlock/flash station. It includes the appropriate drivers, includes the android SDK bits, but you have to supply the ROM (e.g. Cyanogen) and recovery (e.g. TWRP, ClockworkMod) to flash.

It's very straight-forward and while I still recommend reading the Cyanogen wiki, this toolkit saves a bunch of time and removes a lot of possibility for error.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Edit: nvm got code from them painlessly.

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
Thanks for the help!

Now, I have a problem: when i type "$ adb reboot bootloader" into a terminal on my Win7 machine (step 3) it can't find the location. What am I doing wrong?