Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

doctor iono posted:

So I think I'm about to finish the Prologue, but I can't kill the executioner. No matter how many hits he takes, his health remains at 0, and he continues to fight. Should I just restart the whole game? So far, none of my reloaded saves have fixed the issue. And if so, I really hope that doesn't happen when I'm further into the game.

Is that the bit where you have to save Dandelion and Zoltan? I think it's supposed to trigger a fist fight with the Executioner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

NoneSuch posted:

Is that the bit where you have to save Dandelion and Zoltan? I think it's supposed to trigger a fist fight with the Executioner.

Different executioner, I think. I'm talking about the guy with the big hot sword in the dungeons you escape from - he has the in-game title "Executioner".

Edit: I could only find one other person with this problem, and they had to restart the game. But I think it might have been a bug resulting from the fact that the torture chamber was empty for me, because my choices had me meeting Mary Louisa La Vallette in the cell with Shilard. I found I can still actually escape, but that room seems to have a lot of sweet loot in it. I guess I can knock out the scribe and still take everything, though.

doctor iono fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 9, 2013

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

None of the loot in the prologue ends up really mattering besides 1 item you don't even get there anyway. Feel free to skip ahead.

Also Gothic as an inspiration for W3 :swoon:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Davincie posted:

None of the loot in the prologue ends up really mattering besides 1 item you don't even get there anyway. Feel free to skip ahead.

Also Gothic as an inspiration for W3 :swoon:

Unless you have a good Witcher 1 save and get that blue hoodie armor, which will basically last you through the end of the Swamp.

I should really go back and play the Scoiatel side of this game...

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Those of you interested in how they are addressing the complaints about Witcher 2 for Witcher 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ-rIY-W9ZQ

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Animation cancelling, interesting. I hope they don't do so at the expense of attack variety or weight.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Fraternity confirmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1QocSVMmHY

Jimbot, not certain if you're aware (since you're commenting on both), but that's the same video posted earlier (albeit now in convenient Youtube form).

e:VVVAh. So your reaction before was regarding what I'd typed myself. Excuse the pointless derail.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 10, 2013

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, I the player in the link didn't work for me but the youtube one did.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Will Geralt have 3 swords to carry around in this game? I don't wan't to lose them. :ohdear:

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

Will Geralt have 3 swords to carry around in this game? I don't wan't to lose them. :ohdear:

Geralt could have 3 swords in the first game

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Lord Lambeth posted:

Careful, we might get an Advent Children Cloud situation with talk like that.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Wait. They mentioned three distinct epilogue sequences for this game. Red, blue, and green?

I'm scared. :ohdear:

Khazar-khum posted:

There are fan translations of the other books online.

They vary widely in quality though. I found book 4 unreadable.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

The Sharmat posted:

Wait. They mentioned three distinct epilogue sequences for this game. Red, blue, and green?

It'd be funny if there was a dream sequence that offered those choices just before the actual epilogue begins.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

They vary widely in quality though. I found book 4 unreadable.

The Witcher style of 3 endings is side with the law, side with the non-humans, try to stay neutral and they are all significantly different.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Oh my god I love those polish dudes SO MUCH

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

SpRahl posted:

Geralt could have 3 swords in the first game

He started with one rusty sword though.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Really looking forward to Witcher 3, although the open world idea has me a little worried. But at least the dudes in charge seem like know what they are doing.

I just finished Witcher 2 and although I really enjoyed it, some aspects of it seemed not as well tuned as the first game. Specifically I felt like the overall story wasn't as tight or cohesive as the first one and I think a portion of that was a ton of NPCs that would get named, talked about for a few lines and then never get mentioned again. The journal for characters was humongous due to including entries on every blacksmith, food vendor and book seller but none of them are important. I kind of got the feeling a bunch of people were mentioned in people talking about lore and the world as kind of name drops from the books but I've never read any. The grey area choices you have to make I felt were much better in the first game also. Lots of exposition dumps by bad guys were pretty cheap shortcuts too.

The combat and potion use/bewing combined with the trap making was pretty sweet though. Felt more 'witchery' due to rolling around, juicing up on pots, throwing bombs and fighting in a dirty way. Could have used more witcher vs monster stuff though, but I see how that didn't really flow with the story.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

He started with one rusty sword though.

Well yeah he was dead he needed some time to get the blood flowing down there again.

Captain Beans posted:

I just finished Witcher 2 and although I really enjoyed it, some aspects of it seemed not as well tuned as the first game. Specifically I felt like the overall story wasn't as tight or cohesive as the first one
Have you played through both paths? Because the whole story really doesnt come together unless you do.

quote:

and I think a portion of that was a ton of NPCs that would get named, talked about for a few lines and then never get mentioned again. The journal for characters was humongous due to including entries on every blacksmith, food vendor and book seller but none of them are important.

This is the exact same way it was in the first game so no reason to include it as something the first game did better. Although personally I like the large journal entries plus its neat how they are all done form Dandelions perspective.

quote:

The grey area choices you have to make I felt were much better in the first game also.

What exactly do you mean by grey area choices? Because I think Witcher 2 had a ton of decisions where there never seemed to be one good answer or were very difficult to make Let Stennis get lynched vs upholding justice and letting a probable murderer go free, saving Triss vs Saskia/Anais, letting worlds biggest rear end in a top hat Henselt live or kill him and further destabilize the North, helping Roche or Iorveth etc. Id say that the first game did have more major choices altough in the end their impact while significant was small.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
More Pinglish!: The Business Of The Witcher And CD Projekt Red (His English isn't that bad, but it's a bit hard to make out what he's saying). Not much new W3 info, more about CD's business philosophy. I don't know what partnership with Atlus the associated text blurb is referring to.

GrahamBLY
Aug 3, 2006
Better Luck Yesterday
So I grabbed this game on a friend's recommendation because I lent him Dark Souls.
I haven't finished the flashback intro section yet and I am dying all over the place. Is it worth playing through the game for the story if I drop it down to Easy, or will I just be bored out of my mind like Dragon Age? I guess I just don't like hard console games in my old age.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

GrahamBLY posted:

So I grabbed this game on a friend's recommendation because I lent him Dark Souls.
I haven't finished the flashback intro section yet and I am dying all over the place. Is it worth playing through the game for the story if I drop it down to Easy, or will I just be bored out of my mind like Dragon Age? I guess I just don't like hard console games in my old age.
You can turn it down to easy and then increase it when you get used to the combat. There's a certain flow to the fighting in this game that might take a while to get into.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

GrahamBLY posted:

Get through the first part. Witcher 2 has a weird difficulty curve and it gets a bit easier later on. Also, do lots and lots of rolls and use all your poo poo and cheap strategies because the game will throw multiple enemies at you. Witchers get around by using every trick up their sleeves. Get the basic rolling talents from the sword mastery path and then focus solely on magic, alchemy, or sword mastery.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

GrahamBLY posted:

Yes the game is very much worth playing just for the story. However honestly Id hold off on dropping the difficulty down to easy. Combat is notoriously hard for newbies but usually at some point everything just clicks. There is one notoriously difficult boss fight in act 1 that pretty much everyone died to multiple times but now on replays most of us can take himdown in one try no problem.

Just never take any battle for granted never ever charge into a group of enemies and be prepared to roll out of combat if things get dicey for shielded enemies try to maneuver to their sides or rear or use spells on them. Use your skills and items, yrrden basically trivializes all one on one combat and can help take the pressure off you when fighting groups, aard can blow people off ledges or be used to stun enemies/cause them to stagger. You start the game with several traps and bombs use them they can pretty easily turn the tide in your favor. Essentially it boils down to never fight fair use every trick and ability at your disposal once you get some levels under your belt and figure out the game a bit better youll be unstoppable.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I am really torn about this game. On a gameplay perspective I kind of didn't like that they got rid of Group style and replaced with rolling, but it wasn't too bad. My biggest complaints are about the story though. Even though I took a little longer to beat this game than the first, it still felt somewhat shorter. What really sucked though was there was no really neutral path, like when dealing with Henselt, you have no option but to continue to help him.

I really hope they don't go too crazy with the requirements for the next game, otherwise my PC will not be able to handle it.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

If you miss group style, pick up the "whirl" skill in the swordsmanship tree.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Medieval Medic posted:

My biggest complaints are about the story though. Even though I took a little longer to beat this game than the first, it still felt somewhat shorter. What really sucked though was there was no really neutral path, like when dealing with Henselt, you have no option but to continue to help him.

There is just as much of a neutral path in this game as there was in the first game. In Witcher 1 at some point you are forced to help either the elves or the Order. As for Henselt what else are you going to do? You need his help to get past the mist and to discover what the assassins are up to and in the end you end up saying gently caress you Henselt and going off on your own anyway.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I don't have my Witcher 1 saves anymore (yeah, I know) and I want to import one into W2 which I just picked up. Is there an equivalent of a masseffectsaves.com for the Witcher because I really would prefer to import something that was basically my save.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

SpRahl posted:

There is just as much of a neutral path in this game as there was in the first game. In Witcher 1 at some point you are forced to help either the elves or the Order. As for Henselt what else are you going to do? You need his help to get past the mist and to discover what the assassins are up to and in the end you end up saying gently caress you Henselt and going off on your own anyway.

The only part you are forced to take a side in the first game is the bank robbery. After that point both Scoia'tel and The Order felt Geralt's sword if you so chose, and as far as my Geralt was concerned it was a blood bath for both sides. As for Henselt, you could have switched sides after crossing the fog, because unlike the first game, you were actually antagonistic to either of the sides, but in this one, you have little animosity with Saskia that would prevent her from taking you in, especially with Zoltan vouching for you. Even so, the fact that you can't transverse the fog without sucking up to someone is something the writers could have chosen to give you another option the same way they could have made you die if you decided to go neutral during the Murky Waters finale. I am glad the interview with the guys they said that the story of the third game will focus more on Gertalt personally and his own interests than that of the kingdoms.

EDIT: This is not to say the game was bad, just lacking compared to first.

Medieval Medic fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 12, 2013

Impaired Casing
Jul 1, 2012

We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.

Psion posted:

I don't have my Witcher 1 saves anymore (yeah, I know) and I want to import one into W2 which I just picked up. Is there an equivalent of a masseffectsaves.com for the Witcher because I really would prefer to import something that was basically my save.

http://witcher.nexusmods.com/mods/180

There are a bunch there, but as for a specific site I don't know of any. I know when I was in the same boat as you it took me forever to find a save to import, so hopefully this helps.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Medieval Medic posted:

The only part you are forced to take a side in the first game is the bank robbery. After that point both Scoia'tel and The Order felt Geralt's sword if you so chose, and as far as my Geralt was concerned it was a blood bath for both sides. As for Henselt, you could have switched sides after crossing the fog, because unlike the first game, you were actually antagonistic to either of the sides, but in this one, you have little animosity with Saskia that would prevent her from taking you in, especially with Zoltan vouching for you. Even so, the fact that you can't transverse the fog without sucking up to someone is something the writers could have chosen to give you another option the same way they could have made you die if you decided to go neutral during the Murky Waters finale. I am glad the interview with the guys they said that the story of the third game will focus more on Gertalt personally and his own interests than that of the kingdoms.

EDIT: This is not to say the game was bad, just lacking compared to first.

I am an ardent defender of the first game but the forced choice over the bank robbery is frankly just stupid its exactly the type of thing Geralt should just go, not my problem and leave and I really think that it was handled much better in the second game.
Now I might be misremembering but I dont think you get all of the artifacts from Henselts side of the fog until after you go across to Vergen so really you still need his help plus they way you end up stopping the curse requires Henselt to be present anyway and you hardly suck up to him Geralts interactions are borderline contemptuous in many cases and in the end up siding with Vergen by default although they are doomed at that point.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Going with Roche is the neutral path as far as I'm concerned. He's just after the king slayer, and they have what you're after so your goals coincide. Going with the elf dude is clearly picking a side, though.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

PureRok posted:

Going with Roche is the neutral path as far as I'm concerned. He's just after the king slayer, and they have what you're after so your goals coincide. Going with the elf dude is clearly picking a side, though.

I'm pretty sure the choices you end up making in Act 3 and the epilogue dictate how neutral you are or if you go with Roche or Iorveth.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yes, saving Triss in Act 3 is analogous to going neutral at Murky Waters in Witcher 1. Helping Roche save Anais or heping Iorveth save Saskia is analogous to helping the Order or the Scoia'tael.

PureRok posted:

No, because both choices in Act 1 are about getting someone to take you to Aedirn to go after Letho and Triss.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 12, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Impaired Casing posted:

There are a bunch there, but as for a specific site I don't know of any. I know when I was in the same boat as you it took me forever to find a save to import, so hopefully this helps.

No, this is perfect. Thanks!

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lycus posted:

Yes, saving Triss in Act 3 is analogous to going neutral at Murky Waters in Witcher 1. Helping Roche save Anais or heping Iorveth save Saskia is analogous to helping the Order or the Scoia'tael.

No, because both choices in Act 1 are about getting someone to take you to Aedirn to go after Letho and Triss.

I agree although I would argue that the actions which result from who you choose end up being more "neutral" in Roche's path as opposed to Iroveths

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Lycus posted:

I disagree. Going with the elves requires you to actively help a criminal escape from jail and help the Scoiatael. Going with Roche just kind of has you hanging out around the camp of some king. I guess you kill a complete dickbag, too, but that's kind of incidental if I remember correctly.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Before Roche will take you to Aedirn, you have to help him kill a Temerian traitor and capture a Kaedweni spy. So you're either helping the Scoiatael or you're helping Temeria with something that isn't a part of your personal goal.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 12, 2013

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Impaired Casing posted:

The one annoying thing about these is that they don't have any of the import save weapons (or at least they don't least that as a part of the contents and those saves I tried didn't have them)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I remember last time I played having a mod that raise the stats of the Witcher 1 carryover items so they don't become worthless after a hour into the game, but I can't find it now. Also is there any mods not listed in the OP that I should grab (already got most of the ones found there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Rirse posted:

I remember last time I played having a mod that raise the stats of the Witcher 1 carryover items so they don't become worthless after a hour into the game, but I can't find it now. Also is there any mods not listed in the OP that I should grab (already got most of the ones found there).

Witcher 2 modding has kind of stalled with the announcement of the REDKit; everyone's in a holding pattern until that's publicly available. Beyond what I've linked to in the OP, there's plenty of terrible retextures and topless and nude mods if you want to go exploring!

Only other mod you might want to look at, if you want to squeeze even more graphical power out of the game, might be the Xenon Vision Graphics Enhancer, which uses the ever-familiar sweetfx/enb shader injection stuff.

• Locked thread