Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Reichstag posted:

Yes. The most common rec though is the Epson v700/750, which is the best consumer flatbed film scanner on the market. Dedicated scanners are hard to come by for medium format, but are definitely higher quality. As far as I know, the only two currently produced dedicated scanners that will take 120 are the Plustek 120 and a Reflecta something or other. Neither company is held in high regard generally, and I haven't seen much in the way of reviews of either product, but iirc there is one goon with the plustek, maybe they can chime in.

I do have the Plustek Opticfilm 8100 and when I bought it, my own research brought me to the conclusion that it's the best bang for the buck if you only shoot 35mm.

The ACTUAL (not advertised) resolution is the best of the bunch by a nice margin (3800 DPI vs. 3200 of the 8200 or Reflecta, flatbeds are much lower than that), max number of colors is slightly less than the reflecta but you can work around it using vuescan.

The real deciding factor is, will you be scanning medium format too? If you aren't, then probably the 8100 is your best bet. If you are, then you're looking at a flatbed scanner (unless of course you can spend 2k for a Plustek Opticfilm 120).

My flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxmarsiglietti/ If you notice, instead of the camera flickr reports "plustek opticfilm 8100" for those pics I did scan with it. You can judge by yourself if the quality is of your liking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Argh, I have got to learn to stop pouring perfectly good fixer away. Am I the only one who has this problem?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Holistic Detective posted:

Argh, I have got to learn to stop pouring perfectly good fixer away. Am I the only one who has this problem?

Nah, sounds like your local water table has a similar problem :v:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Seriously please don't pour fix (especially used fix) down the drain. It is not exactly great for the environment.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

We have the Epson V500s in college and I don't know what it is about them but they just suck the colour out of negative scans. Really not a fan.

All of my stuff up until like Nov of last year was scanned on a V600 without any color issues, well serious color issues. My guess would be this is a combination of Epson software and post processing.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Captain Postal posted:

Seconding recommending these. Mine is loving brilliant and I will never go back to the stock canon holder (8800F)

I like the betterscanning holders but I found one thing - with some rolls, they're out of shape enough so that they sag down (imagine a slight U shape). I found that putting the film right on the glass and topping it with the betterscanning ANR glass flattens it out without loss of detail. If anything, the photo looked better since it was flatter.

(V500 btw)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Santa is strapped posted:

I like the betterscanning holders but I found one thing - with some rolls, they're out of shape enough so that they sag down (imagine a slight U shape). I found that putting the film right on the glass and topping it with the betterscanning ANR glass flattens it out without loss of detail. If anything, the photo looked better since it was flatter.

(V500 btw)

So in that case you're not even using the glass holder?

Thanks for all the reviews. I'll plan on grabbing a holder and glass from betterscanning. Now I just need to remember how to develop my own B&W reels. My chemicals are probably 3 or so years old. Still good?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

So in that case you're not even using the glass holder?

I am using the glass piece without the plastic holder, it keeps the film flat. I guess Epson's DOF is good enough to catch the film right against the glass as well as at the height of the betterscanning holder.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

I have opposite problem, I just going and going forgetting how many rolls I've put through it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Spedman posted:

I have opposite problem, I just going and going forgetting how many rolls I've put through it.

If you can't tell if your fixer is good just by smelling it, you're a scrub :colbert:

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
If someone says "Velvia rated at ISO 40" it means that they rated/metered as it was an ISO 40 film but still developed normally instead of push/pulling, right?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whoops I read that wrong.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 10, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Primo Itch posted:

If someone says "Velvia rated at ISO 40" it means that they rated/metered as it was an ISO 40 film but still developed normally instead of push/pulling, right?

Correct. Technically, the correct way to put that is "rated at EI 40", since the ISO of the film does not actually change, you're just increasing or decreasing the exposure. Thus it's also correct to say that you "rated Tri-X at EI 1600 and pushed two stops", as the development is independent of the exposure.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
So I got my Tetenal kit, mixed everything up with the utmost care, got my film tank ready, made sure my developer was at EXACTLY the right temperature and used it EXACTLY the right amount of time, same with the blix, finally I poured my stabilizer, then realized...

...hm, the dev bottle feels a little light. Hm, the blix bottle feels awfully heavy...

...GOD drat IT. I POURED THE BLIX BACK INTO THE DEV AND MIXED THE LABELED CAPS AROUND.

So, after my first roll of home-processed C-41, I ruined the chemicals :shepicide: Oh well, next time I'm buying the powdered mix for almost half the price.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

QPZIL posted:

If you can't tell if your fixer is good just by smelling it, you're a scrub :colbert:

Totally, I never do any of the leader testing malarkey, if it smells like fixer you're good to go. I turfed my last lot as the plastic bottle I had it in was turning black.

QPZIL posted:

C41 blues

That sucks man, this is why I have a rinse between each step and only ever have one bottle open at a time, way too easy to confuse yourself.

LATE EDIT: Me grammar good.

Spedman fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 11, 2013

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Spedman posted:

That sucks man, this why I have a rinse between each step and only ever have one bottle open at a time, way to easy to confuse yourself.

This can never be quoted enough. I don't do a rinse between dev-bleach but the less stuff open at a time, the better. I found it useful to have a bench to put the one bottle I'm working with, apart from the rest.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The good news is that my one roll turned out well enough!

Goat by iantuten, on Flickr

Goat by iantuten, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Those are some drat good goats.

6.4 Billion
Jul 19, 2005
Is the Epson V500 my best bet for a scanner under $100? . Anything from Canon in this range? I'll be scanning B&W and color, 35mm.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

6.4 Billion posted:

Is the Epson V500 my best bet for a scanner under $100? . Anything from Canon in this range? I'll be scanning B&W and color, 35mm.

I think the Canon equivalent is the 4490 or something like that, but the Epson is the standard recommendation. You won't find anything better in the sub-$500 market.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think the Canon equivalent is the 4490 or something like that, but the Epson is the standard recommendation. You won't find anything better in the sub-$500 market.

The three best 35mm scanners are under $500 and none of them is the V500, let alone a flatbed.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Stuff came in from Freestyle today and finally got to develop my first roll of B&W film, Tri-X 400 in Rodinal:

CA 163 by jemuelb, on Flickr

Honestly, just glad to have the negatives turn out alright. Now I'm excited to try out some Acros 100 when it comes in.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Last roll out of this C41 kit (losing the shadows), trying to finish off this series

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Spedman posted:

Last roll out of this C41 kit (losing the shadows), trying to finish off this series

Nice picture.

How vital is temperature control for colour development in your opinion? How is your tolerance, 1/4, 1/2, a full degree? I'm quite tempted on buying an E-6 kit since I can't really develop slide film around here (I know E-6 is different, but still...).

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
time to wrap it up, Leicailures

Yashica Lynx 14 by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

shiny new roll of Ektar loaded and ready to go

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

voodoorootbeer posted:

:hfive:

One of the best low-light platforms I've ever found. Now if I could just get one where the film counter isn't screwed up...

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.

voodoorootbeer posted:

Oh man, always wanted one of those.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Got my Zorki 4K in the mail, it's hella fun to use.

Wrap it up, Yashicailures.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm doing work experience in a photography studio and I just found a few rolls of Portra 400 B&W :psyduck:
Never new there was a Portra B&W, anyone have any words on it?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'm doing work experience in a photography studio and I just found a few rolls of Portra 400 B&W :psyduck:
Never new there was a Portra B&W, anyone have any words on it?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/essays/vanRiper/010427.htm

Basically it's c-41 black and white that attempts to have that typical orange color you see with c-41 negs, so that your average photolab printer will get a better black and white print out of it (sounds almost like T400CN film, but using portras film base instead).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hmm, sounds tempting to be able to throw a B&W roll in with the one-hour colour C-41 rolls.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Primo Itch posted:

Nice picture.

How vital is temperature control for colour development in your opinion? How is your tolerance, 1/4, 1/2, a full degree? I'm quite tempted on buying an E-6 kit since I can't really develop slide film around here (I know E-6 is different, but still...).

Thanks. When the chems have heated up to 38C, I just go for it as they'll be within 1C of that during the development process, which should only take about 3-4mins. If you're doing 20-25C (room temp development) the temperature isn't really going to drift so you just need to calculate the right time for the given temperature.

As for E6, it's just as easy as C41 to do, except I've never seen it done at room temp, always 37C. The 3rd or 4th roll I ever developed was E6 and I never had a screw up, and it's really satisfying pulling a roll of transparencies out of the tank and hold them up to the light. My advice, DO IT.

Hmm, sounds tempting to be able to throw a B&W roll in with the one-hour colour C-41 rolls.

I always liked Ilford XP2, a similar C41 BW film, bur if you can't be hosed getting it processed as C41 you can just process as BW and get some great negs out of it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yo guys the Zorki 4K is a cool camera aight later

Blacksmithing by iantuten, on Flickr

Blacksmithing by iantuten, on Flickr

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I finally got the part I needed to use my rangefinder again. Good news: it works great and the lens is sharp too. Bad news: It's only a Leica. :smith:

Crappy drugstore scans of cheap Kodak Gold 400.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
But where's the Leica Glow™ at, bro? You should try and cultivate some mold to get it.

Nixatron
Feb 3, 2012
I just started taking a Introduction to Photography class at my local Community College. I just made the rookie mistake of not pressing the quick release button on my camera, so I got little bunches of film on my floor. I hope that doesn't affect my grade.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Nixatron posted:

I just started taking a Introduction to Photography class at my local Community College. I just made the rookie mistake of not pressing the quick release button on my camera, so I got little bunches of film on my floor. I hope that doesn't affect my grade.

...you rewound the film with the uptake spool locked? And the film didn't snap off the spool in the canister but instead did get rewound but being ripped along the sprocket holes? I haven't heard of that happening before, but I can imagine it'll be hard to get the film developed and printed/scanned like that.

Nixatron
Feb 3, 2012

nielsm posted:

...you rewound the film with the uptake spool locked? And the film didn't snap off the spool in the canister but instead did get rewound but being ripped along the sprocket holes? I haven't heard of that happening before, but I can imagine it'll be hard to get the film developed and printed/scanned like that.

Yup, that's what happened. At first I didn't know if that was just how it was suppose to sound so I just kinda kept on going for a little, but eventually I looked it up and realized that I might have ruined everything.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Nixatron posted:

Yup, that's what happened. At first I didn't know if that was just how it was suppose to sound so I just kinda kept on going for a little, but eventually I looked it up and realized that I might have ruined everything.

Congrats, I did that with a roll of mine a page or so ago :unsmith:

Nixatron
Feb 3, 2012

BANME.sh posted:

Congrats, I did that with a roll of mine a page or so ago :unsmith:

well as far as I can tell only the sprocket holes have rips in them, and its only the last little bit. so I think I can deal, but now I'll never mess up again. First time in the dark room with actual film tomorrow too. I'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

You might get some of those stress mark half moon things. I get those when I gently caress up a roll getting it loaded on a reel sometimes :smith: