Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

bartok posted:

Shaolin Soccer is up on Instant. It's just a fun if predictable sports comedy about a team of underdogs. What's makes this movie standout is that it nails the Jackie Chan style of blending martial arts and physical humor but also seems to takes inspiration from Space Jam and Dragon Ball Z with its use of CGI. Unfortunately Netflix only has the dubbed version up but it features Stephen Chow dubbing over his own character.
I just watched Shaolin Soccer a few days ago and Cantonese with English subtitles was the only option available to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I love Shaolin Soccer but it's also like the only movie I know of where the American edit of it was better. It just got rid of a few really not funny scenes and got rid of of some pointless exposition (which Chow always kind of over does).

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

priznat posted:

Awesome!! I love his Kung Fu Hustle but never saw Shaolin Soccer.

Same here. I'll have to check this out.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Moe_Rahn posted:

I just watched Shaolin Soccer a few days ago and Cantonese with English subtitles was the only option available to me.

My bad. I was mixing it up with a version I saw on cable.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I would say the american edit is way worse. It removed some of my favorite scenes. 23 minutes are missing and much of that is the great "romance" that develops. Also they took out one of the best timed fart sounds in history.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Egbert Souse posted:

Warner Bros. is starting their own streaming service, Warner Archive Instant. It's in beta, but they seem to have a form you can fill out for updates.

It's looking really good so far - not the entire library is up, but a quick skim shows films like A Face in the Crowd, Gun Crazy, Freaks, Until the End of the World, Day For Night, Blow-Up, and The Loved One all in HD. Lots of others in SD and HD. I'd imagine there's a lot of others to be added eventually.

FYI, Warner's library includes nearly all films with their namesake (other than the odd distributor-only films like Rope and Hondo), almost all Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer before 1986, RKO Radio Pictures, Allied Artists, plus distribution rights to Samuel Goldwyn Films. This could go places.

So I got access to the beta, and it looks like a pretty decent streaming service. The selection is a little small right now--only about 100 films, but almost all of them from before 1970 so if you like classic films it will interest you. I haven't watched anything yet but expect it to be on par with Netflix (IIRC it had me OK a dialog about Silverlight, so it probably uses the same streaming tech as Netflix).

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

How did you get into the beta?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The seventh season of Futurama went up recently. I wasn't a big fan of season 6, but the first episode of season 7 wasn't bad. I guess overall, this can serve as a reminder that Futurama is on Instant Watch, and you should definitely check out at least the first four seasons.

Yeah, I am extremely reluctant to watch anything past Season 4. With how the Simpsons continues to suck more with each passing moment, I want to remember Futurama fondly.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I am extremely reluctant to watch anything past Season 4. With how the Simpsons continues to suck more with each passing moment, I want to remember Futurama fondly.

It isn't as different from what it was as the Simpsons was though it is a weaker show. Still, they manage to knock it out of the park sometimes.

At least wgive a chance to The Late Phillip J Fry, Mobius Dick, Prisoner of Benda, Reincarnation and maybe Decision 3012.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Iron Crowned posted:

Post-cancellation Futurama certainly has its moments, but it suffers from trying to satirize modern pop culture phenomenons. This is most evident in a season 5 episode, which aired in 2010, in which they spend an entire episode making fun of The DaVinci Code. There are some good moments in the post-cancellation stuff I've seen, but also some really bad poo poo.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

axleblaze posted:

It isn't as different from what it was as the Simpsons was though it is a weaker show. Still, they manage to knock it out of the park sometimes.

At least wgive a chance to The Late Phillip J Fry, Mobius Dick, Prisoner of Benda, Reincarnation and maybe Decision 3012.

In that same light, Attack of the Killer App is one of my favorite episodes ever because it is so perfect and true.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

In that same light, Attack of the Killer App is one of my favorite episodes ever because it is so perfect and true.

Eh, I don't have a problem with that episode, but it's also commonly cited as one of the worst episodes of the new run. It does without a doubt have one of the worst pop culture references in the series though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

axleblaze posted:

Eh, I don't have a problem with that episode, but it's also commonly cited as one of the worst episodes of the new run. It does without a doubt have one of the worst pop culture references in the series though.

Yeah, it was one of the few I watched of the revamped run and I really didn't care for it.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
The Following is on Hulu streaming. Its a new show on Fox. I am enjoying it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Erebus posted:

How did you get into the beta?

Put my name on its interested email list and after about 3 days it sent me a mail to try it out. The beta ends March 1st, so unfortunately not that much time to see how things work.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Post-cancellation Futurama certainly has its moments, but it suffers from trying to satirize modern pop culture phenomenons. This is most evident in a season 5 episode, which aired in 2010, in which they spend an entire episode making fun of The DaVinci Code. There are some good moments in the post-cancellation stuff I've seen, but also some really bad poo poo.

It varies wildly in quality, but the best episodes are arguably better than the best episodes of the old run. "The Late Philip J Fry" might be the best single episode of the series. Basically, any episode where they enthusiastically violate the status quo--like by killing characters or jumping into the future or something--is really great.

A lot of the episodes seem to pair two characters for a lot of the story, I guess because of budget restrictions. They're very creating pairings, though, like Nibbler and Amy or Hermes and Bender, and they make for fairly strong episodes.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

It was brought up earlier that the 1913 Fantomas serials are streaming. I just watched the first one and can I just say that Fantomas is a dick. The way he laughs with glee at the prospect of an innocent man dying in his place is so insane.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TrixRabbi posted:

It was brought up earlier that the 1913 Fantomas serials are streaming. I just watched the first one and can I just say that Fantomas is a dick.

I haven't seen the movies, but if the first book is anything to go by then yeah, that's pretty much the entire conceit behind his character. He has no apparent motivation, he's just a total psychopath and really good at... whatever he does.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Has anyone noticed some movies/shows are inexplicably full screen instead of widescreen? Episode 1 of Season 7 of Futurama was full screen for me, but the next episode widescreen. Likewise Miller's Crossing was full screen (boo).

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

priznat posted:

Has anyone noticed some movies/shows are inexplicably full screen instead of widescreen? Episode 1 of Season 7 of Futurama was full screen for me, but the next episode widescreen. Likewise Miller's Crossing was full screen (boo).

What? Millar's crossing pan an scan? This is criminal.

1960's King Kong wannabe Konga is on Streaming now.

It's a story about a evil old professor that has both a growth serum and a crush on a student. He makes his pet chimp into an ape (why not just get an ape?) and kills his rivals. His secret wife finds out about his crush and betrays him. Its a lovely movie but its got the best attempted rape scene a PG film could have. An old man smashing his puckered lips into a girls face over and over while she yells at him. Its such a awkward scene it had to be improvised. Its just before the 1 hour 14 minute mark. Its grade "A" Corn.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Junkie Disease posted:

What? Millar's crossing pan an scan? This is criminal.

1960's King Kong wannabe Konga is on Streaming now.

It's a story about a evil old professor that has both a growth serum and a crush on a student. He makes his pet chimp into an ape (why not just get an ape?) and kills his rivals. His secret wife finds out about his crush and betrays him. Its a lovely movie but its got the best attempted rape scene a PG film could have. An old man smashing his puckered lips into a girls face over and over while she yells at him. Its such a awkward scene it had to be improvised. Its just before the 1 hour 14 minute mark. Its grade "A" Corn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh7kDLPvGok

Konga is hilarious, and the end is weirdly touching in an absurd way.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

penismightier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh7kDLPvGok

Konga is hilarious, and the end is weirdly touching in an absurd way.

Its more a petty egomaniac mad scientist movie then a creature feature but, the romance and worst field trip distinguishes it for me.
Also secret marriage?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

priznat posted:

I saw the same thing with Futurama yesterday. No clue why.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I understand that sometimes Netflix is forced to just use whatever version they are given, but I wish there was a clear indication just by looking at the description as to whether a movie is pan-and-scan or is either dubbed/subtitled. It ends up with me getting all ready to watch a film, only to feel annoyed when you see that opening title screen clearly cut off on both sides.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Junkie Disease posted:

Its more a petty egomaniac mad scientist movie then a creature feature but, the romance and worst field trip distinguishes it for me.
Also secret marriage?

Ha I forgot about the field trip. It's just such a weird little movie, isn't it?

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Compliance is on instant watch.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

priznat posted:

Well I'm an idiot-- I thought it was intentionally 4:3. It's surprisingly well framed...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Well I'm an idiot-- I thought it was intentionally 4:3. It's surprisingly well framed...

I had to look it up to make sure it wasn't (like full metal jacket) but imdb said it is 1:1.85.

Raising Arizona was widescreen so I watched that instead. I love that movie and it has a much different effect on me now since becoming a parent (lots of movies are like that now, I've become quite the ball of emotion)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Barton Fink is also in 4:3 on Instant. It is a dark time.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.
I watched Butter this weekend. I thought it was an ok movie, and saved from being an outright terrible movie by Jennifer Garner. It totally missed how Iowans are REALLY though.

Also watched Zero Day - A movie shot in the "home video" style about these 2 kids going to shoot up a school. It's really well done and I felt some sympathy towards these kids. Pretty heavy movie even though it's fiction, since you know things like this have actually happened pretty recently.

As for the new Futurama episodes, I for one have been really pleased with all of the new seasons. Yeah it's hit or miss sometimes, but it's not like there is some MASSIVE difference from season 4. I thought that the episode about the evolution debate was funny. It's not like the Simpsons, where it's turned into a completely different show.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Inspector Bellamy is a strange bird. Part of the awkwardness must stem from translation obliterating some cultural clues and wordplay but, the films just odd. For such a realistic world the movie portrays at times its filled with conversations where people don't face each other, sometimes separated by rooms. He has the most dysfunctional brother I have seen outside of Hangover films. Everyone in this film comes off as almost bored with the entire mystery. All my understanding of constructing a scene for film fail me here.

Its a well rated movie but I feel like I'm watching a artsy film that is on sleeping pills. If your looking for a good mystery I would say go somewhere else the pacing is plodding and the stakes take forever to fortify.

Pandabearassault
Sep 1, 2004

The only bar with soul...of children
Whores' Glory is a great documentary about how it is to be a whore in 3 different countries.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Also, watching OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies and I can't stop laughing. Jean Dujardin is hilarious and just does not pick up on any cues, he's so completely oblivious. And Bérénice Bejo is gorgeous. And it just keeps getting better.

"The truth of the matter is, he just came "Russian" at me!"

all of the OSS 177 movies are amazing.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Acrolos posted:

Same here. I'll have to check this out.

If anyone is still on the fence about watching Shaolin Soccer, it's a really funny movie and the slapstick and absurd humor translates perfectly despite cultural differences and all that kind of stuff.

If you need another reason, the villain's national-level soccer team is straight up called TEAM EVIL. Yeah.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Rough Lobster posted:

If you need another reason, the villain's national-level soccer team is straight up called TEAM EVIL. Yeah.

Not to mention Team Evil was injected with an AMERICAN drug giving them super strength and magical kungfu powers.

I love that movie. :allears:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Loved Shaolin Soccer, that and Kung Fu Hustle just have such a great spirit of fun. Kung Fu Hustle is a little darker though.

Hope he makes another in that vein soon. ("mo lei tau", according to wikipedia)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Chows been on a rejected project spree outside of CJ7. Its sad because God of Cookery and the rest need more love.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Junkie Disease posted:

Chows been on a rejected project spree outside of CJ7. Its sad because God of Cookery and the rest need more love.

He has a movie that came out this weekend.

Unfortunately Netflix (especially Instant) doesn't have a lot of his movies but you can find a lot of them on Youtube. Fight Back to School is great.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is CJ7 not too great? It didn't wow me from the description on wikipedia (ET clone?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Two Worlds posted:

He has a movie that came out this weekend.

Unfortunately Netflix (especially Instant) doesn't have a lot of his movies but you can find a lot of them on Youtube. Fight Back to School is great.

Yeah but he didn't direct it. Fight back to School is a terrific comedy! And I had my suspicions about CJ7 as well. Its less E.T. and more A.T. the abused terrestrial. If you liked Kung Fu Hustle at all, CJ7 will not disappoint.

Edit: The trailer didn't grab me but the behind the scenes sure shows him directing the heck out of the actors. hmmmm...

Edit2: Hes listed often as the co-director. But hes not acting in it. Boo!

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 12, 2013

• Locked thread