Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Um, wow. Baam wiped the floor with them. Who is that bunny ears girl working for? I can't keep up with all the factions in this story. Also baam&koon gently caress yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I'm kinda used to expecting a huge fight and only getting a small one but drat was this a pleasant surprise. Viole whipped out a huge bag of tricks and just tore them up. He's on a completely different level. Completely stopping the pipsqueak's lightning spear, lighting em up with 5 little balls of energy, ahhhh this chapter is so good

Xali
Feb 6, 2006

Seriously who's the long-eared girl again? Sorry but I cant for the life of me remember...

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Xali posted:

Seriously who's the long-eared girl again? Sorry but I cant for the life of me remember...

She's that information broker that everybody went to in order to be directed towards the God Hand Tower. I'm still not clear on why she went with Baam though.

I can't see it as anything else. :v:

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Xali posted:

She's Xia Xia, the lighthouse keeper that Horyang, Koon, and Baam went to for information. Her hood came off after offering to travel with Baam. She's also the one who set them up for a trap. She's presumably cooperating with the Devil of the Right Arm and Apple. Apple is the other lighthouse keeper on Koon's team, with the blonde hair.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Nice payoff, with more promised for next week. Poor Teddy though :( Casano is in for a world of hurt when he shows his face.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Haha, they both mistook Baam for a girl.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

lil baby anime posted:

I'm kinda used to expecting a huge fight and only getting a small one but drat was this a pleasant surprise. Viole whipped out a huge bag of tricks and just tore them up. He's on a completely different level. Completely stopping the pipsqueak's lightning spear, lighting em up with 5 little balls of energy, ahhhh this chapter is so good

To make sure I was reading through this action correctly, The woman with Baam is the one who was controlling the lighthouse the whole time right? Including when she made the triangle shield against the lightning spear? I ask because it looks a lot like Baam was totally ready to handle it himself but that she's pretty proficient in her own right in terms of working as a team.

Next chapter is going to be something amazing.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

To make sure I was reading through this action correctly, The woman with Baam is the one who was controlling the lighthouse the whole time right? Including when she made the triangle shield against the lightning spear? I ask because it looks a lot like Baam was totally ready to handle it himself but that she's pretty proficient in her own right in terms of working as a team.

I thought they were his own oops. I was probably too excited and reading it a little too fast again. But whatever, I'm just gonna pretend that he took control over her lighthouses and bent them to his will until told otherwise because he at least did something in that panel. I'm just not sure what.

But yeah, she's clearly a drat good light...house person.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I wonder what her deal is, if not working for the skinny right arm?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
I wouldn't be surprised if she's just a member of another team with an elaborate plan to soften up the competition. She clearly wanted to take Koon, Ran, and, um, other dude out. She didn't pick very good people to try to manipulate into doing it.

Edit: She could also be one of the "trustworthy regulars" Karaka has watching Baam

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 28, 2013

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008

lil baby anime posted:

I thought they were his own oops. I was probably too excited and reading it a little too fast again. But whatever, I'm just gonna pretend that he took control over her lighthouses and bent them to his will until told otherwise because he at least did something in that panel. I'm just not sure what.

But yeah, she's clearly a drat good light...house person.

If you go read it at mangapirate, at the end SIU says the reason a wave controller plus lighthouse keeper team is so strong is because the lighthouse keeper can effectively multiply the number of rooms the wave controller has available. Still, it kind of seemed like the seal just didn't work on Baam and he converted his offensive rooms into defensive. Either way it was Baam doing it.

I think rabbit ears is working with Cassano but she's also obviously got something against Koon's team.

It would be sad if Horyang was dead, however I think there might be a possibility of him being alive as long as his ignition weapon still exists. Because souls can inhabit ignition weapons, his soul might be bound to the "devil of the right arm" (which is presumably what Cassano wants).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
That's a fair point. The guy who is a living daemon weapon has some narrative leeway when it comes to being "dead." I guess it depends on what SUI wants this moment to mean to Baam (and possibly also Koon).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Also, the person who said he wasn't breathing is already lying her rear end off every chance she gets.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

Edit: She could also be one of the "trustworthy regulars" Karaka has watching Baam

I almost feel like this has to be the case now. I mean, she pretty much had to have known that Koon brought some of the strongest regulars in their class or whatever with him. Guiding some complete stranger there and trying to start a fight when you have no idea how well they can fight is just too reckless.

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

Mo_Steel posted:

It is definitely her controlling the lighthouses.

As for the shield: Baam did handle the lightning spear himself. He froze the drat thing. This is why Ran and Novik are so shocked. You can see it still hanging in the air afterwards.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

jkrotch posted:

It is definitely her controlling the lighthouses.

As for the shield: Baam did handle the lightning spear himself. He froze the drat thing. This is why Ran and Novik are so shocked. You can see it still hanging in the air afterwards.

It's tough when a character's power is freezing stuff in place. Scene will be so much better when it's animated.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

cooldude2.0 posted:

It's tough when a character's power is freezing stuff in place. Scene will be so much better when it's animated.

When do webtoons ever get animated?

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
I don't think any animation can do this justice

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
Hey I just started reading Tower of God and I might sound like an idiot for asking this but what does "Chet" mean? The characters keep saying it and at first I though it was a pretend curse word or something like that but then they actually used cursed words, so I'm stumped on this issue.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think its supposed to be tongue clicking.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

LateToTheParty posted:

Hey I just started reading Tower of God and I might sound like an idiot for asking this but what does "Chet" mean? The characters keep saying it and at first I though it was a pretend curse word or something like that but then they actually used cursed words, so I'm stumped on this issue.

I think it's just a general utterance, no specific meaning. Kinda like "tch" or any other onomatopoeia. Bad translators leave it in, even though it's something specific to Korean and doesn't work at all in English.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Cake Attack posted:

I think it's just a general utterance, no specific meaning. Kinda like "tch" or any other onomatopoeia. Bad translators leave it in, even though it's something specific to Korean and doesn't work at all in English.

It's a very derisive 'tsk'. And you're right; it doesn't work in English when it's left as an onomatopoeia, so it's a bad translation job. 'Hmph' or something similar would work much better than 'chet'. (I read the raws, so now I'm wondering exactly how bad the translation is.)

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Mangapirate scan is out, I'll update this link with the better ones as they come.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 3, 2013

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Why on earth are people scanning online comics? Am I missing something here?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

I'm so loving confused from this. So she's clearly bullshitting about her purpose being to trap and kill Koon, but rather it's to catch Viole. And Koon obviously doesn't recognize Baam/Viole, which is understandable to some extent. So did Baam freeze the guy and take the detonator back and then give it to that psycho? And she's blowing it up to presumably cover their escape? Was Viole telling that girl that he would kill her if she screwed with his friends again?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm so loving confused from this. So she's clearly bullshitting about her purpose being to trap and kill Koon, but rather it's to catch Viole. And Koon obviously doesn't recognize Baam/Viole, which is understandable to some extent. So did Baam freeze the guy and take the detonator back and then give it to that psycho? And she's blowing it up to presumably cover their escape? Was Viole telling that girl that he would kill her if she screwed with his friends again?

Koon didn't recognize Baam/Viole because they didn't translate the red box when he speaks to Koon; the red box states that it is changing Baam/Viole's voice. Baam froze the guy and took the detonator back because he is being forced into playing along, and he was under the impression that he could force bunny-ears to not kill Koon. He clearly miscalculated; his threat to bunny-ears simply made her fully worship Baam/Viole as some sort of death god/Anti-Christ. And it's ambiguous right now as to whether bunny-ears's true aim is to kill Koon, or her true aim is to bring in Baam and she blew up the place to cover their tracks, or some combination of the two. I think it's the latter, personally. I mean, why infiltrate Koon's group if they weren't a growing threat that they would try to nip in the bud? And if it brings Baam under their thumb, so much the better.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Well, FUG already was keeping tabs on Baam's old friends as a threat to keep him in line. I think rabbit ears may just be a little on the nuts side, which isn't surprising considering that the foot soldiers of FUG are probably a mix of wannabe yakuza and religious fanatics. I think she just wanted Viole to kill someone to establish his rep as a Big Scary Slayer, and resorted to nuking the whole place when that didn't work out.

On the other hand, if this is Karakas' idea of subtlety, he may not be cut out for his line of work. Between bringing Hworang back under FUGs thumb and messing with his mentor's plans for Baam, he's hamfistedly undermined the decisions of two people who are infinitely more important to FUG than the junior Slayer (the other being Headon).

On the upside, if Koon doesn't know who Viole is at this point, it would be pretty out of character for him.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 3, 2013

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

PFlats posted:

Why on earth are people scanning online comics? Am I missing something here?

You might be, they're not literally printing out the images and scanning them, it's just from 'scanlation', which refers to the final product of translating a raw chapter of some manga.
So it goes: Raw, scanned Manga -> Translation [a text script] -> Scanlation; though more recently there have been series that don't require scanning, such as the Naver comics and Onepunch-Man.

And with that, here's the Mangapirate release.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Oh SIU, you massive cocktease.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

New chapter!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I love how Rachel is pretty much a terrible person. I can't say I saw that coming when I first started reading this.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
This just might be the darkest chapter yet. Sucks, I really liked Dan.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Goddamnit. Please, please tell me nobody died, I want all of them to climb the tower and be happy. :(

Alternatively, I'd like to see Baam go nuts and completely gently caress up FUG.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Considering someone just got a hole punched through his chest and is supposedly still alive, I wouldn't bet on Koon dying offscreen.

SUI said something on a blog about Rachel being the anti-hero to Baam's hero. That must have been a mistranslation, or maybe he isn't aware that the term implies a sympathetic character.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Safe and Secure! posted:

Goddamnit. Please, please tell me nobody died, I want all of them to climb the tower and be happy. :(

Alternatively, I'd like to see Baam go nuts and completely gently caress up FUG.

Koon is almost certainly not dead, as we don't even get the hint of a body anywhere. Dan, on the other hand, is most certainly deader than dead.

Hodgepodge posted:

That must have been a mistranslation, or maybe he isn't aware that the term implies a sympathetic character.

Given that we still don't know anything about Rachel's true motivations, I think that's a premature statement to make.

pnumoman fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 11, 2013

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I'll stick with hating Rachel. She's been pretty terrible so far as we've seen.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

SUI said something on a blog about Rachel being the anti-hero to Baam's hero. That must have been a mistranslation, or maybe he isn't aware that the term implies a sympathetic character.

I think it's even more interesting if he is fully aware of what that term implies.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Hodgepodge posted:

I don't think this is the case, while she's certainly been depicted as a lovely person, she's never been an antagonist.

Baam doesn't want revenge or to get back at her, he just wants to ask her why she's a huge bitch. In this respect they're not at odds in both being protagonists of the story.

I think it's pretty apparent that SIU has bigger plans for her in the later portions of the story, but my opinion is that she serves as sort of a pauper in the King's court.
The tower is filled to the brim with monsters and people who are impossibly strong, with Baam, her ticket in, becoming oppressively strong, and herself remaining absolutely powerless.
The only power she can exert over others is when they have absolute faith in her [as in Baam], or when they themselves are rendered powerless through some means. [See this chapter.]
I don't know if SIU expects his readers to have any sort of empathy for her though, and that might be her biggest flaw as a character. She really needs a lot of development and it's hard to say when she'll get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
She murdered a helpless man in cold blood because he didn't do what she wanted. How many times does she need to literally stab someone in the back to be considered a villain?