Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

Mest0r posted:

If you're favorite part of the X100 is the OVF, then definitely get the X-Pro1, however the OVF on the X-Pro1 is noticeably smaller than the X100 but it's still just as bright; I believe the EVF of the X-E1 is much better than the X-Pro1 but I never really looked into it. The X-Pro1 is noticeably larger than the X100 in regards of the body size, but it's not that much larger, the major difference is that the lens juts out way more and is larger (at least with the 35mm), the odd thing is that the weight is still similar.

I'd say try to decide if you really like the OVF and get the 35mm f/1.4 with whatever body you choose.

Thanks for the info!
So I suppose the X-E1 and X100 are a good marriage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Mest0r posted:

If you're favorite part of the X100 is the OVF, then definitely get the X-Pro1, however the OVF on the X-Pro1 is noticeably smaller than the X100 but it's still just as bright; I believe the EVF of the X-E1 is much better than the X-Pro1 but I never really looked into it. The X-Pro1 is noticeably larger than the X100 in regards of the body size, but it's not that much larger, the major difference is that the lens juts out way more and is larger (at least with the 35mm), the odd thing is that the weight is still similar.

I'd say try to decide if you really like the OVF and get the 35mm f/1.4 with whatever body you choose.

The EVF on the xpro is not that great, at least compared to the NEX line or the XE-1. It's useful in low-light situations though but gets thoroughly blown out outdoors. The OVF owns in virtually all situations and only takes a few shots to get used to the framelines (but with large lenses you'll still want to go EVF).

Honestly I would just stick with the x100 unless you really need 35mm.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

ChirreD posted:

Thanks for the info!
So I suppose the X-E1 and X100 are a good marriage?

It can be, but that depends if the 35mm (equiv.) focal length of the X100 is starting to feel restrictive to you. I used the X100 exclusively for about a year as my digital camera, so a part of the reason why I bought the X-Pro1 was because I wanted to use different focal lengths rather than to get the performance buffs.

Malcolm XML posted:

The EVF on the xpro is not that great, at least compared to the NEX line or the XE-1. It's useful in low-light situations though but gets thoroughly blown out outdoors. The OVF owns in virtually all situations and only takes a few shots to get used to the framelines (but with large lenses you'll still want to go EVF).

Honestly I would just stick with the x100 unless you really need 35mm.

I don't really like EVFs so I never really tried to use it on the X-Pro1, then again I don't think I've used a camera with a really good one.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

Mest0r posted:

It can be, but that depends if the 35mm (equiv.) focal length of the X100 is starting to feel restrictive to you. I used the X100 exclusively for about a year as my digital camera, so a part of the reason why I bought the X-Pro1 was because I wanted to use different focal lengths rather than to get the performance buffs.

Well it's more of a DSLR swap, that thing is collecting dust. Since I love the X100, I hope the DSLR > X-E1 swap will make me love both cameras instead of 1 :)
Thanks for the info!

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

ChirreD posted:

X/E-1 / X-Pro1 and X100 owners:
Since I rarely use my DSLR and use my X100 a ton, I want to swap the DSLR for an X-Pro1 or X-E1.
Do you still use the X100 after getting the X-Pro1 or X-E1?
Also I can't decide between the X-E1 and X-Pro1. Lots of extra money for the optical and no Flash.
I'm afraid the X100 will collect dust after getting the X-E1, size wise they're the same with a pancake lens. the X-Pro1 is a more serious size in that regard, but I don't like big bulk (like the DSLR).

Any advice?

The more sensible thing to do would be to swap your X100 for an Xpro + lens (or X-E1 kit) and keep the DSLR, but this depends on the DSLR and how invested into the system you are. Personally, I've got an X-E1 and a D800 - for the first few weeks of using my X-E1, yeah, the D800 sat around collecting dust, but over time it was really obvious that each camera had its own uses. The D800 and recent DSLRs are going to have better autofocus, better viewfinders (if you have a pentaprism), weather sealing, and significantly more comprehensive lens selections.

The X-E1 vs XPro is really annoying right now, and it's obvious that the XPro needs a refresh to capture some of the updates included in the X-E1 and X100s. If you're willing to wait it out, then the upgrade to an XPro will be obvious when it gets a better EVF, faster AF, and split prism focusing.

Comedy option: :10bux:Leica:10bux:

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

krooj posted:

The more sensible thing to do would be to swap your X100 for an Xpro + lens (or X-E1 kit) and keep the DSLR, but this depends on the DSLR and how invested into the system you are. Personally, I've got an X-E1 and a D800 - for the first few weeks of using my X-E1, yeah, the D800 sat around collecting dust, but over time it was really obvious that each camera had its own uses. The D800 and recent DSLRs are going to have better autofocus, better viewfinders (if you have a pentaprism), weather sealing, and significantly more comprehensive lens selections.

The X-E1 vs XPro is really annoying right now, and it's obvious that the XPro needs a refresh to capture some of the updates included in the X-E1 and X100s. If you're willing to wait it out, then the upgrade to an XPro will be obvious when it gets a better EVF, faster AF, and split prism focusing.

Comedy option: :10bux:Leica:10bux:

Last time I was on vacation, I had a nice zoom lens on my DSLR, I pointed it toward my gf and it was like a sniper aimed for her head. There were no casualties, but needless to say, it was kind of hard to get those genuine non-posed pictures with a big machine that goes KLAK KLAK KLAK.
Great image quality though and we made some stunning surf photos with it.
But the thing kind of got in the way of having a good time sometimes.

So, it kept collecting more and more dust to the point that I rarely pick it up anymore. Then with the arrival of the X100 I shot about 2000 pictures in 6 weeks. My interest returned and I just love this camera. So, hopefully a nice lens system with a small body sounds just like the right thing :-)

Comedy answer:
I could never return my X100, how dare you.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
A poo poo question I know but I'm a canon DSLR shooter who's been asked for advice on a mirrorless camera for someone's birthday, and other than "avoid canon mirrorless like the proverbial plague", I have no advice to give... so I turn to the dorkroom - what should I be looking at for about £300?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr. Despair posted:

e. Also does anyone have any thoughts on the OM-D compared to a nex-7?

The NEX-7 has a reputation for kind of lovely edge resolution. From what I've heard the OM-D is fantastic but fairly expensive and with a smaller sensor.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Jiblet posted:

A poo poo question I know but I'm a canon DSLR shooter who's been asked for advice on a mirrorless camera for someone's birthday, and other than "avoid canon mirrorless like the proverbial plague", I have no advice to give... so I turn to the dorkroom - what should I be looking at for about £300?

Is this for an experienced or novice photographer? What kind of photography would they mostly be doing? Do they want the smallest possible package or strong performance in a smaller-than-a-DSLR package?

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

ChirreD posted:

Last time I was on vacation, I had a nice zoom lens on my DSLR, I pointed it toward my gf and it was like a sniper aimed for her head. There were no casualties, but needless to say, it was kind of hard to get those genuine non-posed pictures with a big machine that goes KLAK KLAK KLAK.

So, it kept collecting more and more dust to the point that I rarely pick it up anymore. Then with the arrival of the X100 I shot about 2000 pictures in 6 weeks. My interest returned and I just love this camera. So, hopefully a nice lens system with a small body sounds just like the right thing :-)

Comedy answer:

I can't say that I particularly miss using the X100, the X-Pro was intended to be its replacement for me. Missing out on the OVF experience was a big fear for me with the X-E1, it seems like the defining characteristic of the X series and its omission would be straying too far from the X100 experience.

Now that I have an X-Pro 1, it really is its own camera. The familiarity in use is all there but the X-Pro 1 just feels more serious. I suspect it is a combination of size (it looks and feels gargantuan if you're used to the X100. It really isn't in practicality, but the first time you pick one up it will seem massive), build quality and weight (my X100 is downright creaky compared to it. Somehow the featureless top and bottom magnesium plates trick your brain into thinking the whole thing is carved from a single block of metal and in a bar fight you could zipper a head with it) and the weirdest of all, the shutter click. The silent leaf shutter is the greatest X100 feature ever and I was sure I wouldn't like hearing a shutter again but the X-Pro's shutter click sounds serious to me and is oddly satisfying in that I look forward to hearing it. All of this may be crazytalk but that has been my experience so far.

My own needs are snapshot oriented so I really only need one camera on me at a time but I can see where an X100/X-Pro 1 could complement.

The one area where I would steer you towards the X-E1 (which I have never seen in person, to be fair to it) is if you were intending to shoot a lot of adapted lenses. I picked up an EOS adapter for fun and my eyes/the EVF just doesn't seem up to the task. The nicer EVF on the X-E1 would probably be better suited.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

HPL posted:

Is this for an experienced or novice photographer? What kind of photography would they mostly be doing? Do they want the smallest possible package or strong performance in a smaller-than-a-DSLR package?

She's a novice, as for what kind I'm gong to be a pain and say any kind - she has a new born baby so there will be inevitable portraits but also lives in a picturesque part of the country so I can see lots of landscapes. Not so much on the sport's photography front though so that's something.

I don't think she needs the smallest possible thing, she's seen me lugging around a full on DSLR and accompanying lenses and while she wants to take good photos, she doesnt fancy lugging that lot around (or paying for it) so I'd say strong performance in a reasonable package.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Startyde posted:

K01s are already like $200 with the kit lens on Craigslist around me. You wouldn't even need to cover the badge!

No, you'd be covering the entire camera instead :v:

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

ThisQuietReverie posted:

I can't say that I particularly miss using the X100, the X-Pro was intended to be its replacement for me. Missing out on the OVF experience was a big fear for me with the X-E1, it seems like the defining characteristic of the X series and its omission would be straying too far from the X100 experience.

Now that I have an X-Pro 1, it really is its own camera. The familiarity in use is all there but the X-Pro 1 just feels more serious. I suspect it is a combination of size (it looks and feels gargantuan if you're used to the X100. It really isn't in practicality, but the first time you pick one up it will seem massive), build quality and weight (my X100 is downright creaky compared to it. Somehow the featureless top and bottom magnesium plates trick your brain into thinking the whole thing is carved from a single block of metal and in a bar fight you could zipper a head with it) and the weirdest of all, the shutter click. The silent leaf shutter is the greatest X100 feature ever and I was sure I wouldn't like hearing a shutter again but the X-Pro's shutter click sounds serious to me and is oddly satisfying in that I look forward to hearing it. All of this may be crazytalk but that has been my experience so far.

My own needs are snapshot oriented so I really only need one camera on me at a time but I can see where an X100/X-Pro 1 could complement.

The one area where I would steer you towards the X-E1 (which I have never seen in person, to be fair to it) is if you were intending to shoot a lot of adapted lenses. I picked up an EOS adapter for fun and my eyes/the EVF just doesn't seem up to the task. The nicer EVF on the X-E1 would probably be better suited.

Very insightful, thank you!
Seem either X100 or X-Pro 1 is great fun. Having both sounds a bit unnecessary, I'll save the money... for now :-) Thanks!
Maybe when this "omg X100 is the best thing ever" feeling wears down, I'll pick up the DSLR some more.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

ChirreD posted:

Comedy answer:

That's pretty fair. If you're on the fence between the X-E1 and the XPro, I'd wait and see if Fuji releases an update to the XPro. Also, metabones is going to release an X to FD adapter, so you can get some hella-cheap very good glass for whatever X mount body you get.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

No, you'd be covering the entire camera instead :v:

This is a ridiculously good deal. The K01 has an awesome sensor with IBIS and can use all of the K-mount lenses (so no bitching about lens selection). Having held one, you get over the bulk.

The janky looks are still there but you're not taking photographs of the camera itself.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

krooj posted:

That's pretty fair. If you're on the fence between the X-E1 and the XPro, I'd wait and see if Fuji releases an update to the XPro. Also, metabones is going to release an X to FD adapter, so you can get some hella-cheap very good glass for whatever X mount body you get.

Excellent heads up, cheers. Never knew about FD before, looks very interesting.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I would love a k-01 if it had an EVF and didn't look like a brick. That said I've been leaning more and more towards an om-d this week, it seems like an om-d with the battery grip would let me have a nice sized camera to throw my flash on and do macro work with during the summer, but at the same time I could put a very small lens on (even the body cap lens) and have a very compact camera that I could bring with me all the time.

The nex-6 (or 7) seems like a really good choice too, but I'm just not sure the bigger sensor is worth the loss of weather sealing and IBIS.

I'm going to borrow my friends nex-c3 and see if I like the form factor or if I should stick with an om-d (which seems a lot closer to an ME Super, which I do like).

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

I would love a k-01 if it had an EVF and didn't look like a brick. That said I've been leaning more and more towards an om-d this week, it seems like an om-d with the battery grip would let me have a nice sized camera to throw my flash on and do macro work with during the summer, but at the same time I could put a very small lens on (even the body cap lens) and have a very compact camera that I could bring with me all the time.

The nex-6 (or 7) seems like a really good choice too, but I'm just not sure the bigger sensor is worth the loss of weather sealing and IBIS.

I'm going to borrow my friends nex-c3 and see if I like the form factor or if I should stick with an om-d (which seems a lot closer to an ME Super, which I do like).

At $200 (With the pretty great kit lens) you might as well get both

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

For what (little) it's worth, I've loved the poo poo out of my OM-D and the 60mm is probably next on the list. It's also I think currently the only other weather sealed lens for the OM-D aside from the kit lenses, which is mind-boggling to me after they touted the body's sealing so much.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

At $200 (With the pretty great kit lens) you might as well get both

There are no k-01's for sale that cheap locally, and ebay/amazon aren't that cheap either. I do admit the kit lens would be nice, I have the original SMC-M 40mm and it's a very nice lens.

DJExile posted:

For what (little) it's worth, I've loved the poo poo out of my OM-D and the 60mm is probably next on the list. It's also I think currently the only other weather sealed lens for the OM-D aside from the kit lenses, which is mind-boggling to me after they touted the body's sealing so much.

That's good to hear.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 11, 2013

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Mr. Despair posted:

There are no k-01's for sale that cheap locally, and ebay/amazon aren't that cheap either. I do admit the kit lens would be nice, I have the original SMC-M 40mm and it's a very nice lens.

It also works on film bodies, though no aperture ring. Sounds like what you want is the OM-D. I don't even think it's a contest vs the NEXes if you're worried about handling.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

That's good to hear.

If you want a good secondary lens with it, the Oly 45mm f/1.8 and Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 are fantastic.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Jiblet posted:

She's a novice, as for what kind I'm gong to be a pain and say any kind - she has a new born baby so there will be inevitable portraits but also lives in a picturesque part of the country so I can see lots of landscapes. Not so much on the sport's photography front though so that's something.

I don't think she needs the smallest possible thing, she's seen me lugging around a full on DSLR and accompanying lenses and while she wants to take good photos, she doesnt fancy lugging that lot around (or paying for it) so I'd say strong performance in a reasonable package.

The Sony NEX F3 with kit lens is right around your price range. Given your budget, it will probably be the best for low-light/no flash photos. It's not the smallest thing in the world since it uses larger lenses than m4/3 cameras, but it will last her for a good long time.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Ok, camera goons. I've convinced myself that I'm getting the X100 instead of holding out for the X100s. What are the accessories I need to buy Day One? Another battery seems obvious, memory cards, duh. What are the non-obvious things?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I'm borrowing a nex-c3, and man putting long lenses on here is tricky, especially with no IS.

K mount 70-300 on a 2x teleconverter:

Holy CA batman

Fixable in post if you're a little patient though. This was at 600mm (900mm 35mm equivelent) handheld

I can tell that I think having the bigger grip of a nex-6 or a gripped om-d will be real nice though.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Trevor Hale posted:

Ok, camera goons. I've convinced myself that I'm getting the X100 instead of holding out for the X100s. What are the accessories I need to buy Day One? Another battery seems obvious, memory cards, duh. What are the non-obvious things?

You may potentially have to upgrade your editing software if your current version doesn't support raw files from the X100.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Trevor Hale posted:

For me it was a lens hood that allows use of normal filters. It cuts down on flare and helps protect the lens. The built-in ND filter on the X100 is good but I wanted to use stronger ones for some long exposure work. I got a Chinese knock-off brand that worked fine. The Fuji model is crazy expensive.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Despair, if you haven't handled an OM-D with the battery grip, you may want to test one if you can first before you buy one. They're in the $250 range, and batteries from what I've found are still $45-50 apiece. I just have my one battery, and took it out yesterday in 20-30 degree weather for about 4 hours, taking about 150 shots and it never had any problems.

If you like how the old OM film bodies held in your hand, this is very similar.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DJExile posted:

Mr. Despair, if you haven't handled an OM-D with the battery grip, you may want to test one if you can first before you buy one. They're in the $250 range, and batteries from what I've found are still $45-50 apiece. I just have my one battery, and took it out yesterday in 20-30 degree weather for about 4 hours, taking about 150 shots and it never had any problems.

If you like how the old OM film bodies held in your hand, this is very similar.

There's no place local to me that sells om-d's that I've found, but I do have an ME super with a winder (which is the same style grip if not as refined). The ME Super's going to be a bit bigger than the om-d, especially since the grip juts out a bit to clear the strap lugs, but it's giving me a good idea.

That said, while I plan on getting a grip I'm going to order the body first, since I don't really feel like I'll wan the grip until it warms anyways (I think it'll make it easier for macro photography and birding).

Polarize
Jul 12, 2007
The lights go on, the lights go off

Mr. Despair posted:

NEX Shenanigans

It's quite amazing, and quite fun, what vintage glass + teleconverters can do. At 300mm * 2 * 1.5 crop factor, I'm getting an equivalent of 900mm. Add to that the live view magnification of 9.5x, I was actually having trouble focusing on the moon because it was moving too fast and going off screen

Granted these are not the best examples but this was just $20 worth of glass.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

As epected, my NEX has gone untouched sadly since getting my X100 yesterday. I think I have started to get accustomed to the quirks - for all I have read about the unintuitive menu, there is a lot less hunting than the NEX.

I feel bad for doing so but I have been shooting jpeg or raw and converting to jpeg in camera. Its software does a really competent job rendering images (send the jpeg police)

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Q menu is pretty loving great, eh? I still can't wrap my head around using the menu system of a Nex.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

You do get used to the menu system of the nex. Like, I know right where everything is and have the buttons assigned in a way that I can avoid it usually but it is still really cumbersome.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Went and ordered an OM-D along with some odds and ends (k mount adapter, reversing ring, faster sd card, 15mm body cap). Pretty excited to have a camera that I can mount a big lens and flash on (especially when I get the grip eventually), but still throw the body cap on and have something I can keep in my bag all the time.

:neckbeard:

Also this is the first new camera I've bought since I got a point and shoot probably 5 years ago :toot:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

After buying 563 Pentax ME's of ebay you deserve it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

rio posted:

After buying 563 Pentax ME's of ebay you deserve it.

It was less than 20, I swear. I don't really want to know for sure though.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

Trevor Hale posted:

An adapter ring + filter to protect the lens. (I know I know, UV filter discussions... still broken lens is broken camera with this one)
You have third party stuff for this. I got the adapter ring + hood (metallic) for half the price of the Fuji one, The Fuji one is overpriced.

I also got a gordy strap on mine <3

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Is it me, or is the Sony E-mount 35mm f/1.8 super slow to market? It's practically non-existent in Canada.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I think I'm going to get the grip still. :buddy:

This camera is pretty much exactly what I wanted, I'm loving it so far.

P1010040.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's awesome dude, enjoy it :)