Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH

Evil Fluffy posted:

ores are fused with gear.

I fused 3 iron ore with a wooden claw and got an iron claw a wooden knife. :v:

I made some diamonds and sold them. Eh.

Also, is it possible to move to a different island with my crew? My first one is a total and utter clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

junglistvip posted:

Anyone here play Clash of Clans? I'm far too addicted to it.

Started a clan 'Crusader Kings' if anyone wants to join.

Don't we have a bunch of people playing this? I started playing a bit back and I have a question. I cleared out every obstacle on the map, yet I have 49/50 cleared for the achievement thing. Did I miss something obvious?

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

KGBAgent185 posted:

I cleared out every obstacle on the map, yet I have 49/50 cleared for the achievement thing. Did I miss something obvious?

The trees/bushes/etc all regrow over time, so you'll just have to wait a bit for more to show up.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
So are there any decent sniper games on iPhone/iPad that have come out recently?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

junglistvip posted:

Started a clan 'Crusader Kings' if anyone wants to join.

There's about 7 of us so far, all around level 60 so if you join us you'll get lots of good troops.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

teknetik posted:

Also, is it possible to move to a different island with my crew? My first one is a total and utter clusterfuck.

You can visit different islands, but can't move there. You can, however, destroy all your buildings and start from scratch if you want.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

concerned mom posted:

There's about 7 of us so far, all around level 60 so if you join us you'll get lots of good troops.

How do I rebuild the Clan Castle so I can join up with ya guys?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

teknetik posted:

To get the best weapons and armor, you need to fuse them. There's a superalloy spear that does i think +254 to all enemies and to get it you have to fuse lower level gems into moon rocks (or some poo poo, I forget) to fuse with a high level spear.

Also, at some point you get the ability to move buildings and then un-gently caress your island. It's mostly gonna be a mess until you do it.

One more thing, you can do multiples of non-weapons on beasts. So give them as many handkerchiefs/headbands as you can and they'll harvest more stuff.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Jefferoo posted:

So are there any decent sniper games on iPhone/iPad that have come out recently?

Clear Vision 2 came out a few days ago. Not iPhone 5 optimised though :(

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Jefferoo posted:

How do I rebuild the Clan Castle so I can join up with ya guys?

Just save up enough money to rebuild it. If you tap it you should see a price it costs to do it.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Can you unlock the landscape rotation option in Beastie Bay in the ad supported version (it cryptically mentions it opening at some point during the game but hasn't yet for my son who is quite a few hours in) or is it only if you've bought the app?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Dungelot patched with more content, its a lot harder now too.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

junglistvip posted:

I've been playing since Xmas (level 39), I'm at the stage now where upgrades take 3-5 days so I'm only really logging in once a day for 10 mins to tidy up and collect coin/elixir. I'm going to spend the next few weeks slowly upgrading everything as much as possible before launching any more attacks.

It's always fun to make 6-8 bombers and 120 goblins and then search for a juicy target to quickly top up on coins/elixir.

edit: I just joined Crusader Kings.

psylent fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 11, 2013

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Fazana posted:

Can you unlock the landscape rotation option in Beastie Bay in the ad supported version (it cryptically mentions it opening at some point during the game but hasn't yet for my son who is quite a few hours in) or is it only if you've bought the app?

I think this time around there's only the ad-supported and your $5 IAP is what removes ads and unlocks landscape.

Magman
Jul 23, 2004
Toppling the mighty and denting the hard.
Got to level 50 in Dungelot and then my iPhone decided to do a weird little reboot. Lost my progress so it borked the level 50 character unlock BUT it decided to let me keep the 4000 gold I earned at least. Derp.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Telex posted:

I think this time around there's only the ad-supported and your $5 IAP is what removes ads and unlocks landscape.
This is correct. IIRC the confirmation dialog you get in the IAP says "Would you like to purchase no-ads and enable landscape mode" or something like that.

Mask
Jun 8, 2003
Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?
I am way to addicted to Book of Heroes and am currently up to level 16 on my War Mage, joined a guild, and have been doing raids. Now I am reading about Knights and Dragons and almost don't want to download it because I know what will probably happen. Going to use your code Fazzanna and will post mine hopefully for the next goon to pick up K&D.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

psylent posted:

I've been playing since Xmas (level 39), I'm at the stage now where upgrades take 3-5 days so I'm only really logging in once a day for 10 mins to tidy up and collect coin/elixir. I'm going to spend the next few weeks slowly upgrading everything as much as possible before launching any more attacks.

It's always fun to make 6-8 bombers and 120 goblins and then search for a juicy target to quickly top up on coins/elixir.

Well, crusader kings that I found required 800 trophies to join?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Yep that's the one. I just scraped in at 893 trophies.

Is there a thread for Clash of Clans? Should we all agree to only donate archers? They're awesome for defense against raids.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Origin name for Simpsons is sabredenton, friend code for Knights and Dragons is XBB-FNR-CXQ. Those plus Era of Sail are the only ones holding my interest right now.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

psylent posted:

Same here. I don't really log too often since most of the time I'm waiting for upgrades but playing with goons is always nice.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

By the way, I was totally wrong about Pixel People. If you put in the time (have it out when watching TV or playing a game or something) and farm a bunch of trees and house hearts for utonium, you can definitely get all 150 clones within a week or two (I did buy the .99 time doubler, however). I'm currently at 148, just waiting for the last two.

Pretty nice little game, lots of charm. Looking forward to updates with more clone options.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I gave up a while ago when I bottomed out on bux. I got tired of being chained to my small meadow of trees, having to babysit them each time I needed a new residence. I liked finding new jobs but gently caress all that nonsense.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Bummey posted:

I gave up a while ago when I bottomed out on bux. I got tired of being chained to my small meadow of trees, having to babysit them each time I needed a new residence. I liked finding new jobs but gently caress all that nonsense.

In general, gently caress this wave of games that hook you then expect you to pay money to do anything past a day or two of playing. It's loving frustrating how much these games subvert my limbic system and then poo poo on it. It's getting to the point where I might just stop playing iOS games if this crap keeps up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

In general, gently caress this wave of games that hook you then expect you to pay money to do anything past a day or two of playing. It's loving frustrating how much these games subvert my limbic system and then poo poo on it. It's getting to the point where I might just stop playing iOS games if this crap keeps up.

There's tons of iOS games that don't use some stupid energy mechanic. Thankfully the f2pocalypse never ended up happening!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Fallom posted:

There's tons of iOS games that don't use some stupid energy mechanic. Thankfully the f2pocalypse never ended up happening!

I never implied there was some "f2pocalypse" or whatever, I'm just expressing a frustration with the number of games that use this mechanic and how the prevalence of it in games/sandboxes, that otherwise are pretty fun, sucks.

e: Something about paying up front vs paying as I go through makes it feel like someone is trying to trick as much money out of me as possible, which isn't a pleasant feeling.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

I never implied there was some "f2pocalypse"

I never said you did :confused:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

I hate all this poo poo. I'd rather dump some dollars into a regular rear end, up front paid app than get a neutered, at best, version of what the game should be. That's assuming the game was designed in good faith, to begin with.

Give us money, we give you game, no more talk of money unless we add meaningful expansion content.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rexicon1 posted:

I never implied there was some "f2pocalypse" or whatever, I'm just expressing a frustration with the number of games that use this mechanic and how the prevalence of it in games/sandboxes, that otherwise are pretty fun, sucks.

e: Something about paying up front vs paying as I go through makes it feel like someone is trying to trick as much money out of me as possible, which isn't a pleasant feeling.

Part of the problem is that consumers have come conditioned to only paying a buck or two per app, but given the increasing boundaries of what a mobile game is capable of technologically that's not enough to support their development costs.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Bummey posted:

I hate all this poo poo. I'd rather dump some dollars into a regular rear end, up front paid app than get a neutered, at best, version of what the game should be. That's assuming the game was designed in good faith, to begin with.

Give us money, we give you game, no more talk of money unless we add meaningful expansion content.

I think that things like Walking Dead and Ghost Trick have the right general idea; give you a portion of a real game but don't cripple it, instead of giving you a "full" game that hobbles along slower than Paul Sheldon.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

Part of the problem is that consumers have come conditioned to only paying a buck or two per app, but given the increasing boundaries of what a mobile game is capable of technologically that's not enough to support their development costs.

And part of the problem is that developers have gotten on their knees and chugged the 99¢ money fountain. They should all go back to prices that make sense for their product. If the app market crashes, it crashes. That's the risk we have to accept.

Ursine Asylum posted:

I think that things like Walking Dead and Ghost Trick have the right general idea; give you a portion of a real game but don't cripple it, instead of giving you a "full" game that hobbles along slower than Paul Sheldon.

You just have to hope your game is good enough for people to buy the full thing. Rolando 2 was the first thing I can remember that offered the free demo with a paid full unlock. It went down in flames when people realized "HEY THIS GAME ACTUALLY SUCKS AND IS TEDIOUS GARBAGE" and moved on with their lives. How many $1 games have you bought (or $1 games that went free before you finally cared enough to download them), played once or twice and never gone back to? That's the problem with this quick bite gameplay everyone is trying to capitalize on; most of the time, you only want one bite.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 11, 2013

junglistvip
Nov 30, 2010

KGBAgent185 posted:

How many trophies you got?

I'll lower it so you can join if needs be.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

The Insect Court posted:

Bummey posted:

You just have to hope your game is good enough for people to buy the full thing. Rolando 2 was the first thing I can remember that offered the free demo with a paid full unlock. It went down in flames when people realized "HEY THIS GAME ACTUALLY SUCKS AND IS TEDIOUS GARBAGE" and moved on with their lives. How many $1 games have you bought (or $1 games that went free before you finally cared enough to download them), played once or twice and never gone back to? That's the problem with this quick bite gameplay everyone is trying to capitalize on; most of the time, you only want one bite.

It's interesting that you guys bring this up. I was doing a bit of reading the other day about the whole "video game crash" around the early 80's and one of the main reasons that game developers disintegrated en masse was due to the fact that there was no viable pricing model for games and consumers were confused by what the value of a game was. You had the arcades that implied they were worth only a moment of time and thus were valued at 25 cents to 50 cents. Then you had the consoles telling us that they were worth 50, 60, 70 and occasionally 80$. This lead to a problem for consumers as to what they were willing to pay until after a while they just kind of gave up on trying to figure out whether or not something had a decent value and just kind of stopped consuming. This is only part of the crash obviously, but this factor alongside the amount of bullshit crap software that was coming out with no avenue to figure out what was worth buying or not is vaguely reminiscent of what the iOS appstore is to some extent. Even if the parallels aren't very exact, there are some that make me wonder if there could be an issue here.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Yeah no, that's not what the crash was about.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Davincie posted:

Dungelot patched with more content, its a lot harder now too.

It's tougher at the beginning but I think I broke it this game. First run with the dwarf hero, only upgraded HP +60. Passed level 60 with more HP than I started with.

Some tips:
Killing bosses nets you lantern, map and compass now, which rules.
I think the dagger is the best weapon since it basically results in 33% more damage.
Around level 50 since you should have the lantern, map and compass, just start making beelines for the key and chests.
Quest rewards are very worth the HP.
Different spells start to be useful later in the game. Lightning and weaken are crappy early on but become worth their HP exchange later.
The shield (10% block) and armor (-1 enemy attack) items are awesome, enemy attack scales a lot slower now making armor really powerful. I just picked up the HP ring (+6 HP/floor) which also seems alright, would've been great earlier.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

That's assuming you can get past level 30. Those axe throwing assholes always ruin me.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Bummey posted:

And part of the problem is that developers have gotten on their knees and chugged the 99¢ money fountain. They should all go back to prices that make sense for their product. If the app market crashes, it crashes. That's the risk we have to accept.

Fishlabs, makers of the super polished high quality premium space trader games Galaxy on Fire ($5.99 at its peak) and Galaxy on Fire 2 ($9.99 at its peak) just slammed their games to free in preparation for their next big thing, a free to play MMO: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Galaxy+on+Fire+2/review.asp?c=24611

Developers' first priorities are to stay in business and that means changing with the market. If there were a market for "premium" higher priced games, you would see a lot of them. I'm sure there is no shortage of developers itching to make those kinds of experiences if they could make money doing it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

It's interesting that you guys bring this up. I was doing a bit of reading the other day about the whole "video game crash" around the early 80's and one of the main reasons that game developers disintegrated en masse was due to the fact that there was no viable pricing model for games and consumers were confused by what the value of a game was. You had the arcades that implied they were worth only a moment of time and thus were valued at 25 cents to 50 cents. Then you had the consoles telling us that they were worth 50, 60, 70 and occasionally 80$. This lead to a problem for consumers as to what they were willing to pay until after a while they just kind of gave up on trying to figure out whether or not something had a decent value and just kind of stopped consuming. This is only part of the crash obviously, but this factor alongside the amount of bullshit crap software that was coming out with no avenue to figure out what was worth buying or not is vaguely reminiscent of what the iOS appstore is to some extent. Even if the parallels aren't very exact, there are some that make me wonder if there could be an issue here.

People like to talk about this happening again but it absolutely won't for a couple of reasons

1) Consumers aren't confused anymore. People who play games want to play them and will not suddenly stop playing them. If every videogame company shut down today another one would spring up tomorrow to seize on the massive market.

2) They were making bad games. Really really bad games. Everyone likes to talk about how ET was so bad they literally dumped tons of cartridges in the desert, and that was a game you were expected to pay a lot of money for. Many AAA games these days that have high pricepoints have to rival movies in production value or people won't buy them.

3) As much poo poo as the app store has, if you look at the top 30 grossing apps right now only one of them isn't free. People actually pay for IAP in those games, more than anyone thought people would. You see a lot of PC and even console games adapting that model these days, but that's not a crash as much as just pricing evolution

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

KGBAgent185 posted:

If you don't have enough we can temporary lower the limit so you can get in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Bummey posted:

Yeah no, that's not what the crash was about.

I should clarify it was merely a portion of the 'crash' (which I think is a silly word to use honestly). The biggest parts of it were the ridiculous numbers of consoles, publisher control issues and big-game failures. But it is worth mentioning the issue of value when it comes to discussing why it happened. Thanks for your insight though.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

People like to talk about this happening again but it absolutely won't for a couple of reasons

1) Consumers aren't confused anymore. People who play games want to play them and will not suddenly stop playing them. If every videogame company shut down today another one would spring up tomorrow to seize on the massive market.

2) They were making bad games. Really really bad games. Everyone likes to talk about how ET was so bad they literally dumped tons of cartridges in the desert, and that was a game you were expected to pay a lot of money for. Many AAA games these days that have high pricepoints have to rival movies in production value or people won't buy them.

3) As much poo poo as the app store has, if you look at the top 30 grossing apps right now only one of them isn't free. People actually pay for IAP in those games, more than anyone thought people would. You see a lot of PC and even console games adapting that model these days, but that's not a crash as much as just pricing evolution

1) I suppose I am squirreling out the 'casual market' which I think is a massive base of iOS gaming. By casual gaming I mean people who don't read touch arcade

2) There are awful games on the store that are there solely to cause market confusion.

3)That is a valid point, but I would question that the volume of lovely IAP games on the market absolutely dwarf these highest grossing titles and likely don't share the same consumers. (And personally, just because they make a lot of money doesn't mean they aren't lovely rear end games that are bad)

Rexicon1 fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 11, 2013

• Locked thread