Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Cucumbers are just poo poo gherkins :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I want to slowly melt Paul Whitehouse for his Aviva adverts.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Paperhouse posted:

Cucumbers are just poo poo gherkins :colbert:

Get the gently caress out.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Quanta posted:

I want to slowly melt Paul Whitehouse for his Aviva adverts.

In some of them he appears to have started.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Paloma Faith can just gently caress right off.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

They're advertising the new episode of My Mad Fat Diary using Insomnia by Faithless.

I want this show's soundtrack. It'd basically be "All the good stuff from the 90s".

goatface posted:

Holy gently caress, how is that song 17 years old?

Oh sweet mother of god. I could have sworn that was easily in the dying days of the 90s, not 1995. :stare:

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 10, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress, how is that song 17 years old?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

VogeGandire posted:

Oh sweet mother of god. I could have sworn that was easily in the dying days of the 90s, not 1995. :stare:

There's been several popular remixes of it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Leon with a Zero posted:

There's been several popular remixes of it.

Maybe so, but still, even the original really does hold up now.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

VogeGandire posted:

They're advertising the new episode of My Mad Fat Diary using Insomnia by Faithless.

I want this show's soundtrack. It'd basically be "All the good stuff from the 90s".
I was actually a bit disappointed by it, from reading around I thought it'd be cooler than it is. It's still alright but it's mostly britpop, too much Oasis. Where's the shoegaze and the dreampop!?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Paperhouse posted:

I was actually a bit disappointed by it, from reading around I thought it'd be cooler than it is. It's still alright but it's mostly britpop, too much Oasis. Where's the shoegaze and the dreampop!?

I doubt they'd want to go too far into specific subgenres to be honest, "britpop" was the most hyped up music fads those days, they could have easily gone the cheese pop route and had steps and b*witched and people would have ate that up too.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
It just winds me up a bit that this girl thinks she is the coolest thing in the county because her favourite band is Oasis :rolleyes:

it's definitely me being a big nerd though, and it's a good show. I was surprised to read that the actress playing Rae is actually Scottish, her Lincolnshire accent had me totally fooled

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

All I say now is if anything off The Downward Spiral kicks in I will promptly lose my poo poo.

I honestly didn't realize she wasn't from Lincolnshire. So well done to her on that front.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Does anyone remember an insect based computer animated cartoon? Would have been when I was 7 or 8 I think so 1995ish maybe? Everyone in the cast spoke with a British accent and it had a very British sense of humour, it was called something like Insectosaurs or Insectoids and I think the theme tune was them repeating whatever the name of it was over and over again. Anyone know what the gently caress I'm thinking of? It's been driving me nuts the past few days trying to remember it.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Does anyone remember an insect based computer animated cartoon? Would have been when I was 7 or 8 I think so 1995ish maybe? Everyone in the cast spoke with a British accent and it had a very British sense of humour, it was called something like Insectosaurs or Insectoids and I think the theme tune was them repeating whatever the name of it was over and over again. Anyone know what the gently caress I'm thinking of? It's been driving me nuts the past few days trying to remember it.

Insektors?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcZxl8FWT9c

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Paperhouse posted:

It just winds me up a bit that this girl thinks she is the coolest thing in the county because her favourite band is Oasis :rolleyes:

She's 16. Who isn't like that at that age? I know I was. Music snobbery is an important part of teenage identity.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

[UK] The Great British programme discussion: Sue Perkins' Workin Gherkin

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Serotonin posted:

She's 16. Who isn't like that at that age? I know I was. Music snobbery is an important part of teenage identity.

I'm 30 and it's still an important part of mine :/

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I've never heard of a music snob who likes Oasis.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

NaDy posted:

Remember, the 90s.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

NaDy posted:

I guess for a while in 1994ish they were pretty cool and edgy etc. I think it all changed around that crappy 'Be Here Now' album in 1997, which I remember buying with half of my jobseeker's allowance (this was £24 odd every 2 weeks so a fair chunk of change) from Woolworths on the day it was released. I didn't even like them that much but I was trying to impress a group of people I'd started hanging around with (Hello I am Rae)

I remember having a conversation with my best-friend at the time that we were the coolest 17 year olds ever because we liked Belle & Sebastian, Jeff Buckley & Nick Drake amongst others. I still do but my passion burns a little dimmer these days and I am prepared to listen to a lot more than mimsy-wimsy folk-rock.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

NaDy posted:

Ah come on, when their first album came out they were no bodies and the NME started touting them as the next saviours of British music. It was a great album too. It was only later they disappeared up their own arses.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Serotonin posted:

Ah come on, when their first album came out they were no bodies and the NME started touting them as the next saviours of British music. It was a great album too. It was only later they disappeared up their own arses.

A lot like NME really. I used to get it quite a lot until I realised that every single week there were at least 3 news stories about how Morrissey was christ resurrected and that Pete loving Doherty was making the greatest music ever.

tl;dr - I'm still a massive music snob.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's a pretty pro-strat for a music snob to start disliking something the moment NME starts hyping it. In 6 months you'll look prescient.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I used to think the Inbetweeners accurately summed up my teenage years, but My Mad Fat Diary is so much better. The musical snobbery, the insecurity, the active imagination and wanting to shag everything in sight - its so perfect. And this is coming from a bloke who was a teenager in the 00s.

I spent most of my teenage years thinking I was poo poo hot because I listened to loads of punk, hardcore and metal bands that no one had ever heard of. These days I can laugh at my silly teenage self and his appalling taste in music.

Then again I've grown to love jazz, so perhaps age hasn't changed me that much.

Howards Bellend
Aug 25, 2007

Also when you're sixteen and almost everyone in your year only listens to UK garage, you can become insanely elitist and superior about liking truly terrible bands (I thought I was fantastic at school because I liked NOFX of all people!).

EDIT: other people saying more or less the same thing as me. Being a teenager was fun though, good time having a complete lack of vision.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's a pretty pro-strat for a music snob to start disliking something the moment NME starts hyping it. In 6 months you'll look prescient.

I stopped reading it many many years ago because of the way they would make a band out to be the NEXT BIG THING only for NME in a month's time to be ripping into their previous darlings and finding some other hapless band to Glom on to for a month (remember Menswear?)

I preferred Select magazine and still regret the day I chucked them all out. I'd love to have a leaf though them again. There is actually a resource for looking at some scans, but it's not quite the same as the physical magazine-

http://selectmagazinescans.monkeon.co.uk/

Oh, & Sky magazine! I'd forgotten about that! Which brought us this delightful photoshoot

:nms::nms:
Topless Chris Moyles.

EDIT TO ADD- http://open.spotify.com/user/e4.com/playlist/5DDYVxVsxFyOZllU0CiyQR Mad Fat Diary playlist on Spotify.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 11, 2013

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Yep, that was it. Could have sworn I'd tried every permutation I could think of, suppose the random k would have thrown it off. Thanks, I didn't even want to watch it, just remember the loving name.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I can't bring myself to watch My Mad Fat Diary. Yes, I was a teenager in the 90s but it was suvh an awful experience I have no desire to be reminded of it. Gonna listen the gently caress out of that playlist though.

Black Mirror tonight :getin:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

I used to think the Inbetweeners accurately summed up my teenage years, but My Mad Fat Diary is so much better. The musical snobbery, the insecurity, the active imagination and wanting to shag everything in sight - its so perfect. And this is coming from a bloke who was a teenager in the 00s.

I spent most of my teenage years thinking I was poo poo hot because I listened to loads of punk, hardcore and metal bands that no one had ever heard of. These days I can laugh at my silly teenage self and his appalling taste in music.

Then again I've grown to love jazz, so perhaps age hasn't changed me that much.

Yeah, I was BORN in the early 90s, yet I can relate to a lot of it.

(And just to make everyone older than me in this thread feel EVEN OLDER, born in the early 90s, making me in my early 20s. Let THAT one sink in.)

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, I was BORN in the early 90s, yet I can relate to a lot of it.

(And just to make everyone older than me in this thread feel EVEN OLDER, born in the early 90s, making me in my early 20s. Let THAT one sink in.)

What are you doing hanging around with all us old farts? Go out and smoke some drugs or get drunk or whatever it is young people do these day, yeesh.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

This is what young people do now. Deal with it, grandad.

(Do I get bonus points for currently nursing a hangover on a Monday afternoon?)

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 11, 2013

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
[UK] The Great British programme discussion: You want a loving gherkin with that, grandad?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Yep, that was it. Could have sworn I'd tried every permutation I could think of, suppose the random k would have thrown it off. Thanks, I didn't even want to watch it, just remember the loving name.

I loved this show. On at like 6 in the morning on channel five (which always made me feel rebellious because the reception was crap which made it "dodgy"), same as ReBoot. I had nightmares for years about the episode where Dot got poisoned. "I need some slow food, FAST!" "Slow food....doesn't come...fast. That's why it's.....slow....food"

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

VogeGandire posted:

(Do I get bonus points for currently nursing a hangover on a Monday afternoon?)

That's Grandmama to you, have some respects!

My ex-husband said you knew you were getting old when you stopped using the week to recover from the weekend, and started using the weekend to recover from the week. In which case, young VogeGandire, you're allowed.

(Btw if you're an old granny like me I don't recommend watching the behind-the-scenes interview with the cast of MMFD where they go on about the 90s like it was some magical far away place where everything was awesome and innocent and wonderful. It'll make you feel well old.)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
[UK] The Great British programme discussion: How does Stewie Lee feel about gherkins?

lazyjane
Aug 24, 2003

Lemurs, Man, Lemurs

Rondette posted:

I preferred Select magazine and still regret the day I chucked them all out. I'd love to have a leaf though them again. There is actually a resource for looking at some scans, but it's not quite the same as the physical magazine-

http://selectmagazinescans.monkeon.co.uk/

I LOVED Select magazine and I did keep them all at my parents. They moved house a few years ago and I didn't have any room for them so they all had to go :(

I also loved the free tapes you got too. So old.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Howards Bellend posted:

Also when you're sixteen and almost everyone in your year only listens to UK garage, you can become insanely elitist and superior about liking truly terrible bands (I thought I was fantastic at school because I liked NOFX of all people!).

EDIT: other people saying more or less the same thing as me. Being a teenager was fun though, good time having a complete lack of vision.

Weird you were kind of like the opposite to me, rock when i was around 14 - 16 and everything else after it, don't lie i bet you loved a cheeky bit of so solid crew now and then on the sly. Im still surprised that kerrang is still around in a physical format these days, but i guess that's to cater to all the girls and boys who loathe one direction and bieber and such. I was immensely surprised how popular the lostprophets still were, judging by the reaction on twitter when ian watkins was hauled off. I haven't spoken to a fully fledged emo though since about 2007 though.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I too was a teenager in the 1990s. Hell, I was 15 when Blur and Oasis went head to head for the number one spot that summer. What's weird though is that no-one in my school gave two fucks about either of them until Wonderwall was released. We were either listening to the tail end of the grebo movement, grunge, early nu-metal, cheesy euro dance or underground drum and bass/garage, and I still maintain the first garage explosion in 1997 was nothing short of awesome. The crap that came later with Artful Dodger, So Solid Crew, etc. not so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010

Rondette posted:

What are you doing hanging around with all us old farts? Go out and smoke some drugs or get drunk or whatever it is young people do these day, yeesh.

VogeGandire posted:

Whooosh.

Is that the sound of a joke going over someone's head?

I'm around the same age as the writers of The Inbetweeners. The teenage existence doesn't really change with each new generation.