Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist
Here is my 07 MS6, this is a old picture as it now has some Cobb stuff on it and tinted windows. I have loved this car, all my friend drive STi's, I wanted something a little less notcied. Perfect daily driver in my opinion.

Captain Cannabis fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist
Sorry, double post.

Captain Cannabis fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 5, 2013

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I claybared and put a paint sealant on my MS3 this weekend. I don't think I've ever seen this car so shiny.

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist
See that lovely MS6 just a post above this? Well poo poo happens. Some drunk coming home after the Superbowl in a Porsche Cayenne Turbo changed lanes into me, pushing me into the median. Then my tire dug in the grass and I rolled 3 times. Well, at least we know they are safe cars. I landed upside down, kicked open the door, climbed out and saw the carnage.

My question, does anyone think that engine/transmission is salvageable, If the price is low enough I may buy the car back from the insurance company. I have different angles if needed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy poo poo dude, you walked away from that? Go Mazda.

What would you be doing with the drivetrain if you bought it? I don't think the AWD setup is particularly easily transferred to anything else...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Aw, fuckballs, dude. The goddamn curse. At least you're ok enough to post after a roll like that, though I'd still recommend getting yourself checked out medically if your insurance will be cool with it.

Side question: Would changing the antenna stub on my roof improve radio reception at all? I've got the '12 stock Bose headunit and trying to pull in FM sometimes sounds like my old Probe with no antenna whatsoever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo dude! That sucks about the car but thank god you're okay!

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist
Thanks guys, yes I was very lucky, but yes I walked away without any scratches at all. The whole parting out idea came from a buddy who has all the tools and claims that the MZR 2.3 DISI Turbo, the transmission and possible some other pieces may be fine., and scrap metal is always worth something right?

Here is another angle.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Holy Christ.. it looks even worse from the side profile.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't see anything on the exterior worth salvaging honestly. How's the rear bumper? (he said slyly...)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

7 new posts in the MZR thread? :)
*scroll......*
*scroll more :stonk:
Another one bites the dust. These are becoming more rare by the minute. I'm sure the engine, trans, and rear diff would be worth salvaging. Are you going to find a replacement?

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist
After talking to the insurance company, they wanted six thousand to buy it back. I had never heard a quote of that much. I was pleasantly surprised what they offered though, $17861.19 I plan on saving the majority of it and will put two grand or so in my sc400 to use as a daily driver for a while.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Not bad. How many miles did you have on it for that offer?

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist
A little less than 42k. I was very surprised, especially since I started looking around on the net, I was guessing 15k at best.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Captain Cannabis posted:

A little less than 42k. I was very surprised, especially since I started looking around on the net, I was guessing 15k at best.

Sweet poo poo. Glad to see you come out of that one fine.
After "I kicked the door open" I was expecting to read "And beat the poo poo out of the Porsche driver"

If you do grab it to part out, you know where to post.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Question: my 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 just had the controls for the sunroof go dead on me, coupled with the environmental controls - heat, A/C, defrost, etc. Radio and lights all work.

What did I do to my car? :(

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
That MS6 :stonk:

At least you are ok man, good grief

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And here I was gonna post some new pics of mine. Guess that ain't happening.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Rhyno posted:

And here I was gonna post some new pics of mine. Guess that ain't happening.

If it snows tomorrow I'm removing those pictures I put up earlier, just to thwart the curse.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Revvik posted:

Question: my 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 just had the controls for the sunroof go dead on me, coupled with the environmental controls - heat, A/C, defrost, etc. Radio and lights all work.

What did I do to my car? :(

Check your fuses?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tempting fate here, washed her for the first time in three weeks and put new wiper blades on.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Captain Cannabis posted:

Your poor car. I'm sorry to see it go so soon. :negative:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sooooooooooo almost wrecked because I drover past a new building comprised of mirrors and I got distracted by how great the profile of my own car looks in motion.

Oh and I'm also right around the same mileage so I know her death is near.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah ended up being a fuse. Spent the drive to work tonight giggling at the people stuck in the snow climbing up the steep hill in my neighborhood. If this car were to ever get wrecked I would immediately hunt down another.

sachiel
May 11, 2006
Prelude

Sublime Process posted:

I dunno. It only smokes randomly right now for about ~30 seconds, so I'm not sure which part is failing to cause that.

Few days later edit: took it into Mazda just on the off chance they'd fix it under warranty (I have 5k left before hitting 70k for the turbo extension) Long story short, he said since it isn't smoking all the time, it's a ventilation issue and not my turbo. If they do the vent kit, I'll have to use their new TIP - what will this do to what maps I can run on my AP?

I think Corksport makes a TIP that will work with the vent mod. Don't be surprised if the smoking issue comes back. I hear the vent mod doesn't always work.

Aftermarket TIPs don't make a much of a difference with the stock turbo, power-gain wise. Some say their turbo spools quicker...whatever. You won't have to worry about running a special OTS map.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
I've been considering this MS3

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2007-Mazda-MazdaSpeed3-6-SPEED-5-DR-HATCH-W0QQAdIdZ452564839

Any advice?

Muchas Gracias

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
105k km car from Halifax? Right now that car is composed of equal proportions of metal, paint, and rust.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Also for some reason has the ugly 17" snowflakes off a MZ3

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
We're looking at replacing my wife's mini with a new '13 mazda 3 touring hatch. Does anyone have anecdotal data about the reliability of the mazda 3 or complaints / regrets from people who have one?

It seems like it has more interior space than a focus (important because we have a kid and a huge dog) and also comes with more equipment for a similar price.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think most people in here love them :)

Nearly all of the reliability issues I've had with my '07 MS3 (bought in 2009 and have put nearly 100k on it since) have been MS3-specific issues like the throttle body or the EGR clogging up. It's a fantastic car.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I've got an 11 with 20k on it, the only issues I've had are weird tire wear that makes extra rotations a good idea (the stock tires are basically snow tires according to Yoko, and I would recommend a swap or extra set on the earlier side of wear out), and a rattle in the driver side air vent that I need to figure out.

Other than that? It's the same car as the day I rolled off the lot. And it's insanely planted if you find a fun road.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I love my 2006.
Problems I've had over the past 60,000miles:
Slow clock
Clogged PZEV thingy.
Motor mount (I have a feeling this has to do with my driving style, but seems to be a weak point on Mazdaspeed models too)
Thermostat
All replaced under warranty.
Edit: I forgot, there was a loose bolt on the seat belt buckle. That kind of pissed me off because I reported the seat being squeaky to my dealer and they came up with some bullshit reason and more money to pay. I discovered the real reason myself slightly after the warranty expired but I got Mazda to pay for the repair :)

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 11, 2013

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003

havelock posted:

We're looking at replacing my wife's mini with a new '13 mazda 3 touring hatch. Does anyone have anecdotal data about the reliability of the mazda 3 or complaints / regrets from people who have one?

It seems like it has more interior space than a focus (important because we have a kid and a huge dog) and also comes with more equipment for a similar price.

I'm also looking at a new '13 Mazda3 i Grand Touring Hatch. Glad to hear some anecdotes about reliability, it'd be my first new car. One thing that I see pop up is corrosion on older 3's. I saw a extended thread on some Canadian forums, and am curious if you guys have anything to report about that? I'm in southwestern Ohio, so we're not getting a ton of snow, but they like to salt whenever there's a chance.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Canadian, they don't salt hardly at all in my city, everything's done with plowing and gravel. I had an '06 sedan before I got my Speed, and it seemed to be holding up pretty well corrosion-wise except for a spot on the little rear window divider pillar, somehow water got in under the vinyl wrap and it was bubbling up with rust. I've seen a few older 3's with rust in the same place, as well as in the rear quarter panel at the wheel well. I also had a couple of discolored spots from stone chips on my roofline.

That said, I hadn't taken a good hard look at the undercarriage before the car got Hilux'd, so no idea what state that was in, though I'm positive the lack of salt would have been a good thing. I will say that Mazda paint seems to be fairly brittle and chips easily.

Other problems outside of standard maintenance:

Pilling fabric on the seats, seems like this was only a problem with the lower trim models at the time
Frozen handbrake cable, post-warranty
AC system needed a full recharge, post-warranty

And other than that it was basically the car I drove off the lot. I'm in a Speed partially because driving the sedan was so nice.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

How did I never find this thread? I'll play! Here's my 2006 3s GT:

I just had a bunch of PDR done to take out almost 6 years worth of door dings, so I'm pretty content with it right now; except for needing to be detailed desperately. It's got almost 74,000 miles and only had a few things wrong with it:
  • Motor mount (typical)
  • Thermostat (typical)
  • Moonroof came off the track (no idea)
The clear coat on the hood is starting to look a bit shoddy. I had the hood repaired and repainted less than a year after I bought the car after a falling pine cone took a gash out of it while I was doing ~50 MPH. I'm contemplating getting it painted again, but then I don't think it would quite match the body paint. Then I think "well I could get the whole car painted" but then I eventually end up at "gently caress it I'm trading it in for the new 2.5L CX-5!" :q:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

havelock posted:

Just to add to Havelock's question, is there any early word on the long-term reliability of the Skyactiv technologies? My wife and I are looking at getting a CX-5 and while and I'm curious if anyone had any thoughts on how the engine and transmission will likely hold up over time?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Just to add to Havelock's question, is there any early word on the long-term reliability of the Skyactiv technologies? My wife and I are looking at getting a CX-5 and while and I'm curious if anyone had any thoughts on how the engine and transmission will likely hold up over time?
This was one thing that held me back from getting a CX-5 last year; well that and I desperately want the diesel engine brought over from Europe. The transmission they came up with for their Skyactiv engine sounds tricky, so I wanted to see how the reliability holds up.

edit: That said, I have 3 coworkers with Skyactiv Mazda 3s and though it's been a year or less of ownership for all of them, there have been no complaints so far.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 11, 2013

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

edit: That said, I have 3 coworkers with Skyactiv Mazda 3s and though it's been a year or less of ownership for all of them, there have been no complaints so far.

Going on a year and half with my Skyactiv Mazda3 and no problems so far, for what it's worth.

SiB
May 6, 2005
I have been a Mazda tech for almost 7 years in Canada. I can answer technical questions about Mazdas. I own a 2010 3, 2004 6 (for sale), 90 Miata and a RX8 (dead currently:).

The new Skyactiv stuff is turning out to be great. There is a few CX-5 owners complaining about lack of heat but that's in like -40. They need a winter front of some kind in those temperatures. I've done a little work on EVVT systems but they have been minor. One oil pump. One transmission valve body. We have sold probably 150 Sky 3's in the last year so that all pretty good odds!!

CX5s are great selling vehicles and have some minor issues. I just drove a 2.5 a few days ago. I would go for the 2.5 over the 2.0 any day. (AWD auto for me also)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not James Buchanan
Jun 23, 2006

Not James Buchanan fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 2, 2013