Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobdigi
Oct 6, 2004
yea you know who is he

Jefferoo posted:

Is there any app that provides like ambient noise of a war going on or something? Kinda like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFP2Lf3XeZ4

For like, writing or listening to metal or whatever. Childish, I know, but I have to ask.

Ambiance by Urban Apps
https://itun.es/us/iGpbr.i

This app has quite a few war/military sounds. There is also a free version but not sure of the limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

voltron posted:

Cinexplayer

It seems that one's not able to stream MKV, so I'm still looking for another option. (And preferably one with a trial or lite version before buying.)

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Jolan posted:

It seems that one's not able to stream MKV, so I'm still looking for another option. (And preferably one with a trial or lite version before buying.)

What's New in Version 3.00
MKV Support
SuperSharp
Streaming from NAS Drives

Also, it's the only app with the AC3 audio codec.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Is there a good mp4 player app that will save the spot you pause at over multiple sessions? A coworker actually returned his iPad mini because he couldn't get his preferred viewing workflow to happen in iOS. Basically he has something that will save/transcode Amazon instant watch to mp4, load it up on his phone/tablet, and then watch them on the bus. Everything he tried with iOS would always start at the start of file after being turned off for the day.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Mailbox app is great. It doesn't support your existing Gmail labels, but you can make LISTS in the app which show up as folders/labels you can use in Gmail on your desktop or wherever.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
So if you already have a sorting system you have to re-do all of your labels just to get it to work with Mailbox?

Pass.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
How do you only support Gmail accounts and not integrate with a user's labels?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zigmidge posted:

So if you already have a sorting system you have to re-do all of your labels just to get it to work with Mailbox?

Pass.

I agree, for a certain type of style of gmail user, it's not ideal. But (whether you consider this an explanation or an excuse) it's really a mobile inbox management app, and not a full-fledged Gmail replacement (yet).

But if I have a gmail label called Receipts I can just make a mailbox "list" called Receipts, go in to gmail on my computer and move everything from my old "label" to my new "list" and just be good going forward...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Whoops... D P

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I just find it surprisingly weird. My email clients like Thunderbird and Outlook (I hate you, other workplaces) all seem to accept GMail's labels as folders but this one does not. Same thing with the default mail.app, now that I think about it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
For what it's worth I just hopped on my computer and moved all my existing labels into Mailbox/Lists in literally about 30 seconds.

And we are talking about thousands of emails.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

voltron posted:

What's New in Version 3.00
MKV Support
SuperSharp
Streaming from NAS Drives

Also, it's the only app with the AC3 audio codec.

I am liking CinexPlayer HD. However I put some files on it, MKV files, and it says Audio Not Supported. Do I need to do a little stuff first? Or am I missing something obvious?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Feenix posted:

I am liking CinexPlayer HD. However I put some files on it, MKV files, and it says Audio Not Supported. Do I need to do a little stuff first? Or am I missing something obvious?

Do you know what codec the audio for those files is using? And how would you describe the filebrowsing functionality? How does it compare to OPlayer, would you say?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jolan posted:

Do you know what codec the audio for those files is using? And how would you describe the filebrowsing functionality? How does it compare to OPlayer, would you say?

I'm not so smart with the technical poo poo, but I think it's showing some kind of DTS logo on it or something? Not sure what the codec is or how to look.

By Filebrowsing, do you mean how you get the poo poo onto your iPad or whatever? Or what the library interface is like once it *is* on your iPad?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Feenix posted:

I'm not so smart with the technical poo poo, but I think it's showing some kind of DTS logo on it or something? Not sure what the codec is or how to look.

By Filebrowsing, do you mean how you get the poo poo onto your iPad or whatever? Or what the library interface is like once it *is* on your iPad?

Both, I guess. OPlayer has a fairly handy interface for browsing both network drives and local files, and since Cinexplayer doesn't have a free version, I'd like to get some more info before buying.

And for the codec: if you're on Windows, look for a program called GSpot, that'll tell you what codecs a media file uses. Don't know what a Mac equivalent would be.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm in a Mac. :/

The in-app browser structure is very clean and allows for categories and different display types (icons, lists, etc).

Getting files onto the iPad is easy. Use iTunes or set up a local web page/server thing where you can choose what to upload wirelessly from your computer to your iPad.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Hughlander posted:

Is there a good mp4 player app that will save the spot you pause at over multiple sessions? A coworker actually returned his iPad mini because he couldn't get his preferred viewing workflow to happen in iOS. Basically he has something that will save/transcode Amazon instant watch to mp4, load it up on his phone/tablet, and then watch them on the bus. Everything he tried with iOS would always start at the start of file after being turned off for the day.

AVPlayerHD will remember your position over multiple sessions.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Doesn't the standard videos app do it? It has an option to continue where left off in the Settings app at least.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
So I got into Mailbox a few days ago, first impressions are that the app feels much more native than the Gmail app, which is a good thing. I don't know why Gmail insists on showing you a splash screen every time you load the app, even if it was just suspended. Mailbox is really quick and jumps right to the inbox.

One thing I like about the official Gmail app is that they actually will silently update the unread email counter on the app if you view your mail elsewhere. Not surprised this is missing in Mailbox (especially since by default the counter refers to number of 'conversations') but it would be cool to have.

To get the most use out of Mailbox it seems like you need to really embrace the whole metaphor the app was designed around and just give up on your current existing system of whatever labels you have. I like the design of the app so much I'm going to be trying it out for a few weeks -- others might have more complicated systems they won't be willing to give up as easily.

Supporting existing labels seems like a big feature they're missing, but honestly I can see why they cut it for the initial release. It really doesn't fit with the philosophy they're going for here. I would be surprised if they didn't already have some ideas of how to integrate support for existing labels in the future. Definitely interested to see where they go after 1.0, especially since they've hinted at providing support for more than just Gmail in the future, and more than just the iPhone.

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

Feenix posted:

Just jailbreak your whatever and install XBMC. It'll do everything you've asked for in this thread.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Feenix posted:

I'm in a Mac. :/

The in-app browser structure is very clean and allows for categories and different display types (icons, lists, etc).

Getting files onto the iPad is easy. Use iTunes or set up a local web page/server thing where you can choose what to upload wirelessly from your computer to your iPad.

I just noticed that you can just get codec details in VLC on your Mac: start playing a file and hit Command-i, and check the stream details in the Codecs tab. Then check around on the internet what could cause that specific codec not to work on your iOS-device.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
So, for the last year or so, I've been using ZumoCast to stream music from my laptop to my phone, which has been pretty much amazing. However, ZumoCast was removed from the App Store a long while back, and thus hasn't been updated, though it's been functional. Now, I'm getting the error that a connection to a secure server can't be obtained, which I'm assuming is the death knell of the app. I'm shocked it's worked for as long as it has.

Are there any apps that have the same functionality now? AirVideo does the same for movies, but I can't seem to find anything that works the same way for music. I almost downloaded AirMusic before realizing that it does the OPPOSITE (streams from an iPhone to a laptop), which would've been an embarrassing waste of $3.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I'm sure there are other solutions, but i use Subsonic + iSub to stream music from my desktop to my iOS devices.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
StreamToMe works with music, video, and photos, and you can tell it which folders to "watch". Also works remotely.

And there's the obvious iTunes Home Sharing.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is there any app that can run on two iWhatevers and stream video from the camera of one to the screen of the other?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Javid posted:

Is there any app that can run on two iWhatevers and stream video from the camera of one to the screen of the other?

Facetime?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

StreamToMe works with music, video, and photos, and you can tell it which folders to "watch". Also works remotely.

And there's the obvious iTunes Home Sharing.

This is PERFECT. Thanks for the recommendation! It does everything that ZumoCast did and once I figured out the port forwarding fuckery, works like a charm.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is there anyway to have a YouTube video play in the background? Id like to use it just for music while I do other things.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm not particularly bothered about labels but it seems odd that mailbox should implement separate lists - why not just let you define labels you've already got as lists and do both at once?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
This is possibly a stupid question but how can mailbox notify me of a new email and have a summary of it in the notification center, but when i open the app to read it, it has to connect and download it before I can?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

This is possibly a stupid question but how can mailbox notify me of a new email and have a summary of it in the notification center, but when i open the app to read it, it has to connect and download it before I can?
The app itself isn't open, and (from what I've seen at least) I don't think the notifications themselves pass data to the app beyond something really basic, I guess like "open this thing." So while the notification has whatever text to go along with it, all Mailbox has to work with is to open whatever email, which it has to download upon opening since it doesn't stay open in the background to download like the standard Mail app can.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It shouldn't really matter as it's only a couple of seconds but those seconds add up to making the app feel slow - regardless of how nice and quick the interface itself is.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Pissflaps posted:

It shouldn't really matter as it's only a couple of seconds but those seconds add up to making the app feel slow - regardless of how nice and quick the interface itself is.

Push notifications are sent from a remote server. Your phone isn't aware of the email when it gets the notification, and there's no way to send the message as a object through the push notification. Only Apple's Mail.app gets to check for email in the background. At most, Mailbox can download messages for 10 minutes before your phone automatically puts it to sleep.

In other words, it really isn't something the devs can control.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Yeah but the explanation doesn't make it any less annoying.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Has anyone noticed that TuneIn Radio (Pro) drains your battery much more than other streaming apps, even when they stream the same station?

I'm not sure if I'm imagining it or not.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Javid posted:

AirBeam does this. You can also watch streams on a Mac or web browser, which is a cool thing too.

I've used it as a baby monitor.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

DarkJC posted:

So I got into Mailbox a few days ago, first impressions are that the app feels much more native than the Gmail app, which is a good thing. I don't know why Gmail insists on showing you a splash screen every time you load the app, even if it was just suspended. Mailbox is really quick and jumps right to the inbox.

One thing I like about the official Gmail app is that they actually will silently update the unread email counter on the app if you view your mail elsewhere. Not surprised this is missing in Mailbox (especially since by default the counter refers to number of 'conversations') but it would be cool to have.

To get the most use out of Mailbox it seems like you need to really embrace the whole metaphor the app was designed around and just give up on your current existing system of whatever labels you have. I like the design of the app so much I'm going to be trying it out for a few weeks -- others might have more complicated systems they won't be willing to give up as easily.

Supporting existing labels seems like a big feature they're missing, but honestly I can see why they cut it for the initial release. It really doesn't fit with the philosophy they're going for here. I would be surprised if they didn't already have some ideas of how to integrate support for existing labels in the future. Definitely interested to see where they go after 1.0, especially since they've hinted at providing support for more than just Gmail in the future, and more than just the iPhone.

As someone who doesn't use labels (I usually archive almost everything and use the search function to find old e-mails), I'm loving Mailbox. The concept of reminders with a specific date is perfect for those conversations that are going back and forth that I don't want to archive. It feels snappier than the Gmail app and it looks great too.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

As someone who doesn't use labels (I usually archive almost everything and use the search function to find old e-mails), I'm loving Mailbox. The concept of reminders with a specific date is perfect for those conversations that are going back and forth that I don't want to archive. It feels snappier than the Gmail app and it looks great too.

I am enjoying this app as well. I use labels and it took me maybe 2 minutes to move my labels to the Mailbox label. The app is really snappy on my iPhone 4. I left the gmail account on the built in mail app so that if I need to send e-mail links it'll work but could see solely using this app. This is a change from both Sparrow and the gmail app.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Just curious: what is the purpose of archiving? I'm a big gmail user - I have *tons* of emails from almost a decade at this point and multiple accounts all getting sucked into it... but I don't archive. I just mark things in the inbox as "read" whether they are important or not, and like you, rely on search to recall old threads. What does archiving bring to the table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Lexicon posted:

Just curious: what is the purpose of archiving? I'm a big gmail user - I have *tons* of emails from almost a decade at this point and multiple accounts all getting sucked into it... but I don't archive. I just mark things in the inbox as "read" whether they are important or not, and like you, rely on search to recall old threads. What does archiving bring to the table?

It basically just tucks them away from your main inbox view to keep things uncluttered.

• Locked thread