Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Apoplexy posted:

My favorite bit remains, "Giant cross nailed over a girl's bed; dad got a big gash in the back of his head when it fell."

That was brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

escape artist posted:

I remember he spoke on a podcast, saying that there actually a bit about the emperor Caligula, but I don't remember it being on the broadcast version last night.
It's the "who, in all of time, would you want to have dinner with" joke; actually, it was probably the weakest on the show, which could be why you don't remember it.

On another note, I love that the cover of Caligula is of a great white shark breaching the water. Says it all, really.

Plant Kingdom
Mar 12, 2007

escape artist posted:

Wait, what? Did Glass do a Stanhope impression? I'm confused. As usual.

I might be being really dense and just missing something...

I was just referring to the semi-recent Todd Glass with Stanhope on where they started playing the echo/delay sound effects and Doug was all "KILL YOURSELF KILL YOUR PARENTS KILL YOURSELF" etc. like an inaccurate bad acid trip from a lovely movie. Otherwise, I just kind of find the Todd Glass over-production style annoying.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This sucks, some assholes from "AnonGhost" took down Marty Derosa's "Wrestling with Depression" site. It's got to be a prank on him.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't know where to post about it (and don't want to make a whole thread in TVIV) but Kroll Show was hilarious and is worth your time.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

The Berzerker posted:

I don't know where to post about it (and don't want to make a whole thread in TVIV) but Kroll Show was hilarious and is worth your time.

How much of it is Nick Kroll doing impressions? It's weird to say it since doing characters is pretty much his main thing, but I don't actually like any of them and would prefer it if he would keep doing comedy as himself instead. If it's going to be 30 minutes of Fabrice Fabrice and Bobby Bottleservice I'll pass.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I wouldn't worry: http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/d55ylk/kroll-show-kroll-show--wheels-ontario---roll-with-it

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

How much of it is Nick Kroll doing impressions? It's weird to say it since doing characters is pretty much his main thing, but I don't actually like any of them and would prefer it if he would keep doing comedy as himself instead. If it's going to be 30 minutes of Fabrice Fabrice and Bobby Bottleservice I'll pass.

I saw him when he passed through DC a couple months ago. He did one character for a few minutes and then was himself for the rest. It was really good.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I'll be in LA for a Friday/Saturday/Sunday stint around April 5th. What are the best standup venues/shows to hit on those nights? Generally a pretty big podcast fiend and a regular Just For Laughs Montreal attendee. Anything I should arrange in advance or is it all show up and line up?

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 18, 2013

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

SKULE123 posted:

I'll be in LA for a Friday/Saturday/Sunday stint around April 5th. What are the best standup venues/shows to hit on those nights? Generally a pretty big podcast fiend and a regular Just For Laughs Montreal attendee. Anything I should arrange in advance or is it all show up and line up?

Any show that's cash only/at a small theater you can just show up. Anything at the 3 big Hollywood clubs (Laugh Factory, Comedy Store, Improv) or places like UCB you're gonna want to get tickets in advance.

I recommend the show Power Violence every Sunday on Santa Monica hosted by 4 skaters. In the last two months, Zack Galifianakis and Bill Burr have done surprise sets.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Crossposted from the LA Thread

What is are my best bets to see comedians like Paul F Tompkins, Patton Oswalt, Maria Bamford trying out new stuff in LA? Who are some good comics to watch out for?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
For the folks you mentioned, Un-Cabaret was very much a show all those folks used, don't know if it's still running.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

A student posted:

What is are my best bets to see comedians like Paul F Tompkins, Patton Oswalt, Maria Bamford trying out new stuff in LA? Who are some good comics to watch out for?

Paul F Tompkins regularly does shows as the Largo in LA, and Patton usually performs there as well every couple months. PFT's shows also include whoever is in town at the time which can include Maria Bamford, though I haven't seen her in a long while.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

A student posted:

Maria co-produces a free show called Whats Up Tiger Lily every Monday in Hollywood. She's also performing at the aforementioned Power Violence show tonight.

Un-Cabaret is still going. Now it's Downtown.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I saw Louis CK at The Kennedy Center on Friday night, the later show of the two. It was good but it nearly as good as his show in Baltimore. It seemed rushed and the the flow just wasn't there. He made mention of the place being a "union house" and that he absolutely had to be off the stage at 11pm. After that it seemed fairly obvious that there is a clock on stage and he had been staring at it almost all night.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bunk Rogers posted:

I saw Louis CK at The Kennedy Center on Friday night, the later show of the two. It was good but it nearly as good as his show in Baltimore. It seemed rushed and the the flow just wasn't there. He made mention of the place being a "union house" and that he absolutely had to be off the stage at 11pm. After that it seemed fairly obvious that there is a clock on stage and he had been staring at it almost all night.

You should let The Kennedy Center know that your experience was negatively impacted because their policies are at odds with quality stand-up.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I re-watched Nick Kroll's stand-up, knowing that it wasn't going to be traditional, and holy poo poo I enjoyed it way more than I did before. His new show on CC is fantastic, which is what made me reconsider the stand-up special.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

It was pretty uneven, because his character work is fantastic, but his actual standup is kinda generic and forgettable. He said on KPCS that he's most comfortable when he's doing his characters and I think it shows.

A character-based sketch show is probably the best format for him. I know a lot of people aren't gonna get it, as evidenced by all the dumdums in TVIV, but I think it's funny as hell. More reasons to not listen to anything TVIVers (except us, of course) say about comedy.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Conduit for Sale! posted:

It was pretty uneven, because his character work is fantastic, but his actual standup is kinda generic and forgettable. He said on KPCS that he's most comfortable when he's doing his characters and I think it shows.

A character-based sketch show is probably the best format for him. I know a lot of people aren't gonna get it, as evidenced by all the dumdums in TVIV, but I think it's funny as hell. More reasons to not listen to anything TVIVers (except us, of course) say about comedy.

I actually like his (non-character) stand-up a lot. And when he's doing himself on the show. I was literally eating pizza combos when he said "a cats rear end in a top hat looks like a pizza combo"... It was hilarious and gross.

Yeah, I think the show gets better with each episode. Doesn't hurt to have Chelsea Peretti and John Mulaney on as writers. I'm really starting to love Bobby B. Sometimes I even mentally respond to things in his voice.

TVIV may not like it, but it got renewed for a second season two weeks into the first season, and it is getting great ratings.

Can't wait for Amy Schumer and Anthony Jeselnik's new shows.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Conduit for Sale! posted:

His Fabrice Fabrice stand-up segment on John Oliver's New York Stand-Up Show was just amazing. "You know who loves fried chicken iss BLACK PEOPLE. You know who else loves fried chicken? EVERYBODY."

escape artist posted:

I actually like his (non-character) stand-up a lot. And when he's doing himself on the show. I was literally eating pizza combos when he said "a cats rear end in a top hat looks like a pizza combo"... It was hilarious and gross.

Yeah, I think the show gets better with each episode. Doesn't hurt to have Chelsea Peretti and John Mulaney on as writers. I'm really starting to love Bobby B. Sometimes I even mentally respond to things in his voice.

TVIV may not like it, but it got renewed for a second season two weeks into the first season, and it is getting great ratings.

Can't wait for Amy Schumer and Anthony Jeselnik's new shows.

You and me both on that one. CC finally decided they'd give TALENTED comedians a shot at doing their own shows how they want and it's working good so far with Kroll's. God drat was the latest episode hitting on all the right cylinders with both Ghost Bouncers and The Spotted Ox Hostel.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I personally like Kroll's characters more than his straight comedy, but I think he also has a lot of talent there too. I'm really glad his show is getting better, the first episode wouldn't have hooked me if it hadn't been Nick Kroll doing it, but it's really jumped up in quality since. That and other great comics like Schumer, are really good omens for CC's coming lineups.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Kroll's show has got me all antsy because I know Gil Faizon and George St. Geegland are going to show up sometime but I want them NOW

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Mob posted:

Kroll's show has got me all antsy because I know Gil Faizon and George St. Geegland are going to show up sometime but I want them NOW

I think they're on tomorrow's episode.

"In Europe you have to complain about how unfair Israel is but also be really cruel to Arabs. And we HATE racism but all call black footballers "monkey"... and that's real."

http://youtu.be/8AlueAAkxgo

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Chromatic posted:

Doug Stanhope and Andy Andrist won a suit to put out a video of them confronting Andrist's childhood molester.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2013/jan/07/judges-ruling-allows-comedians-to-release-video/

Quoting myself because I found out that this is for a documentary Andrist and Stanhope are putting out at a later date called "Groomed". From the teaser/trailer, it looks really interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9fbdU785ns

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Chromatic posted:

Quoting myself because I found out that this is for a documentary Andrist and Stanhope are putting out at a later date called "Groomed". From the teaser/trailer, it looks really interesting.

That's going to be great. Very brave of Andy Andrist.
(I was also a victim and things like this really help me because, it may have been 20 years ago it but it still affects me and I've not lived a fulfilling life because of it.)

I actually just had to send him a message of support on Facebook, told him he's my new hero.

Re: Kroll Show

Gil Faizon will be on tomorrow's episode. Speaking of which, has anyone seen John Mulaney's stand-up (live, I mean)? I saw him back in September 2007, when I had no idea who he was-- he was opening for Patton Oswalt. He was spectacular. I was sitting in the first row, dead center. He made eye contact with me a lot through out the show, probably because I was laughing and clapping so goddamn hard.

I need a chocolate cigarette.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 6, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Chromatic posted:

I really hope they go through Louis C.K's hook up instead of trying to find a traditional distributor. That deserves a large audience and an avalanche of money.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I hope they just put it on youtube or something.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

escape artist posted:

Speaking of which, has anyone seen John Mulaney's stand-up (live, I mean)? I saw him back in September 2007, when I had no idea who he was-- he was opening for Patton Oswalt. He was spectacular. I was sitting in the first row, dead center. He made eye contact with me a lot through out the show, probably because I was laughing and clapping so goddamn hard.

I saw him in 2008 or 2009 at JFL in Toronto. He was on the same bill with Louis CK, Sarah Silverman, Arj Barker, David Cross, and Todd Glass. At the time I didn't know who Glass or Mulaney were, but they (with CK) were the top three of the night for sure.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

The Berzerker posted:

I saw him in 2008 or 2009 at JFL in Toronto. He was on the same bill with Louis CK, Sarah Silverman, Arj Barker, David Cross, and Todd Glass. At the time I didn't know who Glass or Mulaney were, but they (with CK) were the top three of the night for sure.

Holy poo poo, that's a hell of a lineup, I'm jealous.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

BobTheCow posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a hell of a lineup, I'm jealous.

Then allow me to make it a tiny bit worse: I sat beside Jon Dore!

... if anyone knows who Jon Dore is

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

Then allow me to make it a tiny bit worse: I sat beside Jon Dore!

I'm Canadian too, so... I do!

Actually, I really regret not getting that JFL deal that they had when it was here, it sounds like it was a great year for it.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 7, 2013

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

Been a fan of his since new talent nights at Yuk-Yuk's Ottawa, great to see him doing well in LA. Not much other talent out of here except Tom Green and Norm MacDonald.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Check out Heidi Foss. Phil Hanley is also Canadian. As is Paul Myrehaug.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

Check out Heidi Foss. Phil Hanley is also Canadian. As is Paul Myrehaug.

Sorry, I meant Ottawa. Lots of great talent out of Canada for sure, especially once I discovered Stop Podcasting Yourself.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

thexerox123 posted:

I'm Canadian too, so... I do!

Actually, I really regret not getting that JFL deal that they had when it was here, it sounds like it was a great year for it.

It was a great show, and it was at Massey Hall (which is an amazing place for comedy). Did anyone here do the JFL42 thing? I did, and although it was confusing at first, it was a total steal for how much stuff I got to see for $100.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

It was a great show, and it was at Massey Hall (which is an amazing place for comedy). Did anyone here do the JFL42 thing? I did, and although it was confusing at first, it was a total steal for how much stuff I got to see for $100.

I came up for it (also go to JFL Montreal every year). Travelled up from Ottawa, so I could only stay the weekend, but it was still a steal to pack my schedule and get to see 6+ great shows over a weekend, especially with the token recovery mechanism.

Hope they integrate that aspect back into the Montreal mothership.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
John Mulaney has shot up my personal rankings over the last year to become my second-favorite stand-up comic after Louis C.K.. (Sorry, Jim Gaffigan!) Both of his albums are incredible, and he gets bonus points for writing every single Stefon bit for Bill Hader on Weekend Update. At one point I wanted him to join the SNL cast, but now I think that would cramp his style too much. I'd love to see him live.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
WITH* Bill Hader.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

SKULE123 posted:

uhh sunday night show up to UCB really early to catch assssscat on sunday, like 6pm. I showed up at 645 a few weeks ago and missed getting in by like 10 people. But seriously, Its awesome every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Today was the last day of SF Sketchfest and I was wondering if any other Goons went to any of the events. It would be cool to share impressions and maybe give each other ideas what to see next year (or to avoid, I guess!).

On my part, I only went to two shows this year, Crash Test and Hail to the King, Baby (this was a Q&A with Bruce Campbell, moderated by Patton Oswalt, followed by a screening of Army of Darkness).

Crash Test Dummies was a lot of fun. The format was Rob Huebel and Paul Scheer interacting with the audience and doing short bits, with comedians coming out to do stand-up in-between. All the Huebel and Scheer parts were fun(especially the end to Scheer's disturbing Sebulba dance). I'd never seen Greg Behrendt perform before and liked it, but I have no idea if this was new material or not. Natasha Leggero was good; I'd heard some of the bits before, but she did new stuff, too, and she did riff a bit. (She also made my worst comedy show fear come true in that she honed in on me and my wife to ask questions, but she was actually nice... the guy after me wasn't quite as lucky, but whatever, she was cool to me and my wife, so fear negated!). Chelsea Peretti was supposed to perform as well, but couldn't make it, so Jamie Lee stepped in. She was decent, but I have to admit I didn't care much for the some of the material. (My wife had a more visceral reaction to the first half of her set.)

There were some assholes who had had too much to drink, plus one lady who was embarrasingly high in the front row (Scheer shut her up by having her taste test some Boogers candies). Scheer and Huebel ragged on them a bit and Leggero repurposed her tassled rape whistle into a drunken idiots shut up whistle.

Anyway, fun show and if they bring it to SF again, I would probably see if I could fit the show into my schedule.

Hail to the King, Baby was awesome, in no small part because my wife and I sprung for the extra meet and greet option. Bruce Campbell was really friendly and disarming to the folks lining up for autographs. I brought my Brisco County, Jr. DVD insert and he seemed really happy to see a Brisco fan. He started telling me a story and one of the staff had to cut it short and move the line along, which was too bad because I wanted to hear the man tell me Brisco stories, goddamnit. :argh: Still, really cool guy to chat with if even for a few minutes.

I loved the Q&A. Really, I love it when Patton moderates anything, but they played well together and seemed to have fun. Campbell really drove home the point that he doesn't want people to ask what *his* favorite parts or movies were: he likes hearing the fans' opinions instead of giving out his. Some people tried to be assholes or cutesy with questions, but Campbell did not suffer jackassery and had a ready retort for pretty much everything. I don't know what else to say other than that he has a lot of stories and a lot of thoughts about the business, all of which were pretty fun to hear.

I pretty much would go to anything that meant I got to talk to Bruce Campbell, quite frankly, but even if my wife and I hadn't ponied up a bit more for that, it would still have been a fun experience.

So there's that. Anyone else who went to Sketchfest shows, please chime in!