Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

McDowell posted:

True, but one should consider the utility (tons of product/distance transported) compared to the emissions. In that regard I'd consider cars more wasteful than cargo ships.

That, and there were about 254.4 million passenger vehicles in the United States alone in 2007.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Earth posted:

Oh Sagan, I love reading your books.

I also love the spectrum of people in this world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDS_YABbh6w

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 18, 2014

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol

GD_American posted:

An Army M-60 tank at top; one of thousands of old concrete culverts in the middle, and an old F-106 jet at bottom. All of these are artificial reefs in the Gulf of Mexico. In the last few decades, we've dumped everything from an old aircraft carrier (the USS Oriskany) to T-72 tanks on the bottom of the Gulf to provide reef structure.

Funnily enough, we're also in the process of destroying some of the best established reefs in the Gulf- old, unused oil platforms.

In the 70s they tried this off the coast of Fort Lauderdale in an attempt to attract game fish to the area. Osborne Reef was enlarged with 2 million tires bound together with steel bands. Of course, nobody bothered to ensure that the bands didn't corrode in the ocean, so over time the tires became loose. It became a total environmental disaster as the tires' mobility ensured no significant marine life latched onto them. They even wrecked natural reefs by colliding with them. They're still cleaning it up. Luckily cleaning up the tires is good training for military divers, so the US military is doing most of the cleanup operation rather than the state of Florida (which probably would either refuse to pay for it or gently caress it up worse somehow).

Army Diver Jason Jakovenko posted:

You get down about 20 feet and it starts to come into sight, it's actually really-- it's like the moon or something. It's weird, it doesn't look like anything you could imagine, it's just tires for as far as you can see down there.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE_5Y9IKCk0

poopy pee pee fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 11, 2013

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Senor Gato posted:

In the 70s they tried this off the coast of Fort Lauderdale in an attempt to attract game fish to the area. Osborne Reef was enlarged with 2 million tires bound together with steel bands. Of course, nobody bothered to ensure that the bands didn't corrode in the ocean, so over time the tires became loose. It became a total environmental disaster as the tires' mobility ensured no significant marine life latched onto them. They even wrecked natural reefs by colliding with them. They're still cleaning it up. Luckily cleaning up the tires is good training for military divers, so the US military is doing most of the cleanup operation rather than the state of Florida (which probably would either refuse to pay for it or gently caress it up worse somehow).

Why in the ever-living gently caress could they have not have realized that plastic bindings would have been better? Jesus Christ.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

How are u posted:

Why in the ever-living gently caress could they have not have realized that plastic bindings would have been better? Jesus Christ.

Forget it Jake, it's Floridatown.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

McDowell posted:

True, but one should consider the utility (tons of product/distance transported) compared to the emissions. In that regard I'd consider cars more wasteful than cargo ships.

Maybe you're not aware of exactly how polluting these things are. I don't understand why D&D gets that nuclear power isn't the bogeyman, but still thinks personal car emissions are. Using gas sucks for a number of reasons, but cars are loving clean these days.

http://www.gizmag.com/shipping-pollution/11526/

quote:

Shipping is by far the biggest transport polluter in the world. There are 760 million cars in the world today emitting approx 78,599 tons of Sulphur Oxides (SOx) annually. The world's 90,000 vessels burn approx 370 million tons of fuel per year emitting 20 million tons of Sulphur Oxides. That equates to 260 times more Sulphur Oxides being emitted by ships than the worlds entire car fleet. One large ship alone can generate approx 5,200 tonnes of sulphur oxide pollution in a year, meaning that 15 of the largest ships now emit as much SOx as the worlds 760 million cars.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Radbot posted:

Maybe you're not aware of exactly how polluting these things are. I don't understand why D&D gets that nuclear power isn't the bogeyman, but still thinks personal car emissions are. Using gas sucks for a number of reasons, but cars are loving clean these days.

http://www.gizmag.com/shipping-pollution/11526/

I think when it comes to that people aren't sweating particulates like SOx (which is not a greenhouse gas but causes acid rain) and are mainly talking about greenhouse gasses. Acid rain doesn't get the headlines anymore since SOx emissions are down 2/3rds from their high in the 70s.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Peven Stan posted:

I think when it comes to that people aren't sweating particulates like SOx (which is not a greenhouse gas but causes acid rain) and are mainly talking about greenhouse gasses.

Unfortunately, they're pretty awful on that front too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/mar/03/travelsenvironmentalimpact.transportintheuk

quote:

Carbon dioxide emissions from shipping are double those of aviation and increasing at an alarming rate which will have a serious impact on global warming, according to research by the industry and European academics.

Separate studies suggest that maritime carbon dioxide emissions are not only higher than previously thought, but could rise by as much as 75% in the next 15 to 20 years if world trade continues to grow and no action is taken. The figures from the oil giant BP, which owns 50 tankers, and researchers at the Institute for Physics and Atmosphere in Wessling, Germany reveal that annual emissions from shipping range between 600 and 800m tonnes of carbon dioxide, or up to 5% of the global total. This is nearly double Britain's total emissions and more than all African countries combined.

Carbon dioxide emissions from ships do not come under the Kyoto agreement or any proposed European legislation and few studies have been made of them, even though they are set to increase.

Aviation carbon dioxide emissions, estimated to be about 2% of the global total, have been at the forefront of the climate change debate because of the sharp increase in cheap flights, whereas shipping emissions have risen nearly as fast in the past 20 years but have been ignored by governments and environmental groups. Shipping is responsible for transporting 90% of world trade which has doubled in 25 years.

Donald Gregory, director of environment at BP Marine, said this week that BP estimates that the global fleet of 70,000 ships uses approximately 200m tonnes of fuel a year and this is expected to grow to 350m tonnes a year by 2020. "We estimate carbon dioxide emissions from shipping to be 4% of the global total. Ships are getting bigger and every shipyard in the world has a full order book. There are about 20,000 new ships on order" he said.

The estimate supports other academic studies which, until now, have been dismissed as "extreme", because the industry fears that emissions regulations will be forced on it if it is not seen to be addressing the issue. "The International Maritime Organisation [IMO] needs to come up with an emissions strategy, or it will be down to us," said Mr Gregory. "Aviation is in the firing line now but shipping needs to take responsibility. There will be increasing pressure to do something."

Dr Veronika Eyring, a researcher at the Institute of Physics and Atmosphere, calculates that the global fleet used 280m tonnes of fuel in 2001 and that could reach 400m tonnes by 2020.

"People are becoming more aware of the shipping emissions problem, but there is still uncertainty as to the exact amount of fuel being used," she said.

An IMO study of greenhouse gas emissions has estimated that emissions from the global fleet would increase dramatically in the next 20 years as globalisation leads to increased demand for bigger, faster ships. Without action the IMO predicts that by 2020, emissions from ships would increase up to 72%.

Yesterday the independent Tyndall Centre for Climate Change, which has launched a two-year study into shipping emissions, said the problem needed to be addressed urgently. "The proportion of [greenhouse gas] emissions from international shipping continues to receive scant regard within government. Shipping has been missed off the climate change agenda, said researcher Alice Bowes.

Britain downplays the problem, saying that ships in UK waters emit less than 2m tonnes of carbon dioxide a year. But no record is kept of the fuel used and most ships take on fuel outside Britain.

Although the industry maintains that ships are more efficient at transferring freight than air, it admits improvements can be made.

Yesterday Caroline Lucas, a Green MEP, said: "[Shipping] has got away with doing nothing and maintained a clean image which it does not deserve."

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Peven Stan posted:

I think when it comes to that people aren't sweating particulates like SOx (which is not a greenhouse gas but causes acid rain) and are mainly talking about greenhouse gasses. Acid rain doesn't get the headlines anymore since SOx emissions are down 2/3rds from their high in the 70s.

Yup (both charts U.S. GHG emissions):

http://climate.dot.gov/about/transportations-role/overview.html

Of course, what that chart doesn't tell you, although the EPA's website does, is that a significant portion of shipping GHG contributions occurs in international waters, where it doesn't count toward U.S. emissions:

quote:

It is important to note that fuel consumed in international travel by aircraft and marine sources is not counted in national greenhouse gas inventories. However, international trade has been growing rapidly, thus increasing the role of transportation as a source of global emissions.

dr.gigolo
May 9, 2006

TheMammoth posted:

From my old neighborhood in San Francisco:

Beautiful ocean mural. Must be an aquarium or museum right? On the side of the Mitchell Brother's O'Farrell Strip Club.

Alley side of same mural.

I miss the Tenderloin.

Two of my good friends work there, they're boyfriend and girlfriend and neither is an exotic dancer.

Arthur Mole's liberty bell, the picture was made with 25,000 soldiers in 1918

More here http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/living-photos-by-mole-and-thomas.html

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 6, 2014

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Pope's resigned

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Exclamation Marx posted:

Pope's resigned

I always thought popes were the pope until they died. So will we have a new pope before Easter?

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

My vote is going towards Pope Weedlord Bonerhitler I

He will be a good candidate for the Final Pope and possibly the Antichrist.

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

Nazi Pope gently caress off!!

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

Driving a pickup is dangerous in LA.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Elston Gunn posted:

For reference, this is a gray Nissan Titan like the actual target vehicle:

dadgummit
Dec 14, 2012

like a baby's bottom, smooth and sometimes...
explosive

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Stultus Maximus posted:

For reference, this is a gray Nissan Titan like the actual target vehicle:

I thought they found the truck burned out in the mountains days ago? Are they searching for a new truck?

Content:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP4l_PeBMyk
Tony Babino plays a jazzy version of l'internationale :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7km7o9Gqhc
Ana Belen and Victor Manuel play a funky version of A las barricadas :allears:

"A militia man poses for the photographer in front of an already ransacked church, 1936 by David Seymour.

Arson of churches and monasteries was common during the first days of the Republic. Militias were created in order to preserve the artistic and cultural heritage of Spain from primal anti-clerical outbursts. Their mission was to protect churches, museums and libraries."

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
So Ron Paul, champion of Free Enterprise and Free Markets, King of the Libertarians, believer in complete individual and territorial sovereignty; is asking the UN to seize ronpaul.com for him, because the current owners want too much money.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

poemdexter posted:

I thought they found the truck burned out in the mountains days ago? Are they searching for a new truck?

Content:

Ha, what's the context of that picture?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I can't wait for tomorrow night. :allears:

http://stockman.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/ted-nugent-to-join-stockman-at-state-of-the-union

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

:swoon: Texas :tipshat:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
http://www.esquire.com/features/man-who-shot-osama-bin-laden-0313

The Navy SEAL who killed Osama bin Laden used this gear during the May 2011 raid.

Also from that article:

quote:

On the third floor, there were two chicks yelling at us and the point man was yelling at them and he said to me, "Hey, we need to get moving. These bitches is getting truculent." I remember saying to myself, Truculent? Really? Love that word.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

THe biggest problem with Dawkins is that he confuses "having genuine and interesting contributions to make regarding biology" with "having genuine and interesting contributions to make regarding absolutely everything else.

That's why I often prefer listening to people like Robin Ince, who have a much easier time accepting that there are things they know nothing about, while still being funny about the things that they do (although the following clip is a bit "dumb and so goddamn crazy"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdocQHsPCNM

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Steve Stockman is one creepy motherfucker.

quote:

Stockman will also be unveiling this week The Obama Failometer, a ten-foot-long billboard that will objectively measure the failure of Obama’s economic policies.

Congress is the absolute worst.

Why doesn't he just become a mercenary, oh I'm sorry "private military contractor", like the rest of them?

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 11, 2013

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Lightning hits St. Peter's the day Pope Benedict resigns.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

A man dressed as a 'Momotxorro' a natural entity made of bones and sheep skin walks to take part in a carnival in the Basque village of Zubieta on Jan. 28. In one of the most ancient carnivals in Europa , dating from before the Roman empire, companies of Joaldunak (cowbells) and Momotxorros parade between the villages of Zubieta and Ituren.

Crasscrab posted:

Why doesn't he just become a mercenary, oh I'm sorry "private military contractor", like the rest of them?

Well if you read the article, he explains it is because he sustained some chronic injuries that aren't good for an active duty soldier, has had to deal with major problems affecting his relationship to his family, and, at least right now, does not want to keep doing something that requires him to kill people.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

System Metternich posted:

Does this mean god is happy, or not? :confused:

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

From the project Negerhosen2000, some artifacts of which I just caught at the Contemporary Arts Museum in Houston over the weekend. (I'm lucky to have teenage kids who whine about going to art museums and not getting out of them, though admittedly it's because the CAM has such an awesome gift shop.) If you're German this is probably way old news but I thought it was the best thing ever.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Popechat

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Elston Gunn posted:

I assume these are related to the Chris Dorner manhunt? I've been out of the news cycle for a few days. Are they really just wasting suspected pickups?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

I like when my gas station tells me things!

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

System Metternich posted:

You can almost hear the spooky organ music.

Crasscrab posted:

I like when my gas station tells me things!
You pressed NO, right?

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 18, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Earth posted:

Please tell me that you took this picture and can tell me what area of the country so I know to never live there.

Cute, but July 16, 1945 was a bit after May 7, 1945.

e: Not even counting that H-bombs didn't exist for another 7 years after Hiroshima

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Mexican / U.S. propaganda during WWII.

The pilots of Squadron 201, the Aztec Eagles (águilas Aztecas)who fought in the pacific theater in WWII.

"Beginning in June 1945, the squadron initially flew missions with the 310th Fighter Squadron, often twice a day, using borrowed U.S. aircraft. It received 25 new P-47D-30-RA aircraft in July, marked with the insignia of both the USAAF and Mexican Air Force. The squadron flew more than 90 combat missions, totaling more than 1,900 hours of flight time. It participated in the Allied effort to bomb Luzon and Formosa to push the Japanese out of those islands. During its fighting in the Philippines, five squadron pilots died (one was shot down, one crashed, and three ran out of fuel and died at sea), and three others died in accidents during training."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escuadr%C3%B3n_201

• Locked thread