Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

builds character posted:

3. Just wondering what happened to everyone who posted in this thread two/three years ago.
I'm a second year at the foreign office of a big US firm (don't want to say more publicly but happy to go to PMs), doing exclusively capital markets work. Thanks again, by the way, for the advice on law firms you gave me a few years ago - I found that very helpful, and now that I know a little more about law firms myself, I can see how spot on it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

terrorist ambulance posted:

Also working a job in Alaska probably fuckin owns, so don't count it out
You say that now, but wait until you're assigned to Barrow.

Oh and Barrow is a dry city.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

I'm awesome (By which I mean I have a job that I like and don't live in rural Alaska or Missouri), and I had a slightly better GPA than him (at a top 20).

I'm also really loving lucky, but I had fun in law school and got drunk a lot (I also did a lot of track days). So do whatever, but remember there are cheaper ways to get drunk and doing nothing (except crim law clinics, which is the only reason I didn't drop out).
If you're not getting a 2.75 due to the fact that you're drinking and having fun, uhm, do yourself a favor and quit. I also had a big scholarship that wasn't tied to my GPA.
Note that if you want to do crim (DA or PD), don't panic, you're grades don't matter outside of the really snooty places (NYC, Bay Area, ?). Don't do crim because they don't care about that though. We can smell that poo poo and there's like 1 job for every 800 people. We do care about giving a poo poo -- Well PDs do.

You take that back you monster. I'm way awesome.

Shifood posted:

Need some advice for sending out a resume. I am a second semester 1L at a Tier 1 school and I have a 2.75 GPA.

Also, nm and I went to the same law school at the same time. I have some vague remembrance of who he is in real life because I think we did some crim law specific class together - digital evidence or whatever. I, like you, also got poo poo grades my first semester, but then I started paying attention to the advice in this thread and worked my way up to graduating with honors. The main points (which someone else can reiterate) are how to study, how to take exams, which classes to take, and how to know exactly what the professor wants on the final.

For instance, my Crim Law 101 instructor Professor Frase is a giant cock who tested on the opposite of what he taught. If I had read his previous exams I would have gotten an A+ instead of a B- in my favorite class. So tip number one is get really familiar on your professors' past tests, which should be available online or via you asking your Legal Writing 3L student teachers for. Tip number two is that every single loving case you read about in 1L year is on wikipedia. I didn't learn that until I chose not to buy the book for one of my 3L classes.

Confirmed. loving owns. At least in my neck of the woods, but I'm not in a shithole like Barrow. Also, nm, we don't get "assigned" to Barrow. You have to apply to the Barrow ADA position. They get paid a shitton - like $150k for beginning ADA work - so they get plenty of applicants even though they are a shithole.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 11, 2013

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I've worked dry cities in the north. It ruled. Also, there was still booze

edit: also, what the the dude above me said. good experience, great money, if you like hunting or outdoorsy poo poo there's tons of that to do, young nurses and doctors and such coming in on regular couple-month rotations to pad out the social schedule

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 11, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^
I suspect an ADA buying illegal booze might not go over well.

BigHead posted:

Confirmed. loving owns. At least in my neck of the woods, but I'm not in a shithole like Barrow. Also, nm, we don't get "assigned" to Barrow. You have to apply to the Barrow ADA position. They get paid a shitton - like $150k for beginning ADA work - so they get plenty of applicants even though they are a shithole.

What good is $150k if I have to get on a plane to buy alcohol legally?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
To counter the flood of "don't worry about your grades, it'll all work out in the end, just keep paying your tuition," I'll just mention my friend who graduated May 2011 from our Tier 1 law school. Last I heard (August 2012), he was living with his parents and looking for a retail job for the holidays because the doc review places wouldn't call him back.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Sir John Falstaff posted:

To counter the flood of "don't worry about your grades, it'll all work out in the end, just keep paying your tuition," I'll just mention my friend who graduated May 2011 from our Tier 1 law school. Last I heard (August 2012), he was living with his parents and looking for a retail job for the holidays because the doc review places wouldn't call him back.
Yes, if you don't love the gently caress out of crim, don't gently caress up your grades. Also, there was a pretty long period of un-employment/temp work for me. I got my permanent job 2 years after passing the bar, though some of that has to do with moving to CA (If I'd stayed in MN, I'd probably have had a job soon after passing). But I'd have been hosed with a 4.0 anyhow.
But generally, you shouldn't be going to law school anyhow.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

How do you not just kill yourself when this happens?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Zo posted:

I was kind of in this boat. I was working for free doing PD work. It really helped keep me going and it gave me some hope someone would hire me.
I hate to say it because I think free work is demeaning and devaluing, but you have to do something. If you've been not doing any legal work for a year, no one will hire you.

To be clear, there were times I would have happily takes a job in rural Alaska or Missouri (No dry towns), but now I'm happy I didn't.
Now if guam would bump its salaries to be comparable with california, I'm on the first plane.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Zo posted:

With IBR, you don't have to actually pay anything on your loans until you make money. The average law student that graduates with debt qualifies for IBR so long as he makes like $90k/year or less.

IBR is also based on prior-year income, so it always lags. Even though I have a decent job now, I didn't make any money last year, so my minimum payments this year are $0.00.

His position is kind of liberating. He'll never earn enough money to ever pay his loans. So long as his parents are willing to let him live there, he should just go start a company or volunteer at a nonprofit or something.

Really entertaining sidenote: Tuition is actually so high at Cornell that some first year biglaw associates probably qualify for IBR. The federal government is hosed and is going to have to cancel IBR eventually.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Cornell's tuition is total bullshit. Everyone that comes here uses the fact that they're planning to do Biglaw (spoiler: ~60% won't be able to) to justify it, but it seems like even for the 40% of the class that has a shot at Biglaw in NYC the debt is going to be crushing.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

builds character posted:

3. Just wondering what happened to everyone who posted in this thread two/three years ago.

We stopped posting in here and now just sit in IRC 24/7.

Except for SV, who only visited once and never came back.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

HolySwissCheese posted:

His position is kind of liberating. He'll never earn enough money to ever pay his loans. So long as his parents are willing to let him live there, he should just go start a company or volunteer at a nonprofit or something.

Start a business doing what, with what capital?

In any case, the point isn't that he's screwed for ever and ever, he might as well shoot himself now; the point is that law school has resulted in the loss of four years of productive earning capacity and (at least) IBR-level loan payments for the the next 25 years (assuming IBR remains in place for the next 25 years). It also closes off other paths, since it's going to be a lot harder now for him to go back to school to do anything else, and because non-legal employers are just going to assume he's going to leave for that awesome lawyer job.

But please don't turn this into a "he should really do X" thing, I'm not in any kind of regular contact with him now and I can't really speak for him in terms of what are viable options. (That's what tends to happen after law school, unfortunately--the successful ones are more than happy to tell you, Facebook, LinkedIn, and anyone else about their adventures. The unsuccessful ones just fade away.) Nor do I know whether his parents are willing to let him live there indefinitely.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 11, 2013

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lawdog69 posted:

Cornell's tuition is total bullshit. Everyone that comes here uses the fact that they're planning to do Biglaw (spoiler: ~60% won't be able to) to justify it, but it seems like even for the 40% of the class that has a shot at Biglaw in NYC the debt is going to be crushing.

How do they get away with charging $5000 more than Yale and Harvard? :psyduck:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

builds character posted:

I have a biglaw job I like though this month and last month my leisure activities have been and will continue to be "reviewing documents WHILE WATCHING TV!" instead of just reviewing documents.

I hate depositions.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Yeah, I'd rather be in Anchorage than Cleveland or rural anywhere else.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

HolySwissCheese posted:

Really entertaining sidenote: Tuition is actually so high at Cornell that some first year biglaw associates probably qualify for IBR. The federal government is hosed and is going to have to cancel IBR eventually.

Its not just Cornell. I graduated from a T14. I am a (now second year) associate at a BigLaw firm. I qualified for IBR last year, and likely will again this year, though I haven't checked yet.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

evilweasel posted:

I hate depositions.
Why?

Depositions are one of the few times I feel like a real lawyer.

e: Unless you are just fire-drill-reviewing docs relevant to a deponent that were served like three days before the dep, and not actually taking or defending. Then that could suck.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gvibes posted:

Why?

Depositions are one of the few times I feel like a real lawyer.

e: Unless you are just fire-drill-reviewing docs relevant to a deponent that were served like three days before the dep, and not actually taking or defending. Then that could suck.

I'm not taking or defending them, just doing the doc work for them. I'm sure they'll be more fun when I get to do the cool part and pass this part off.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Lawdog69 posted:

It's like the administration knows that some people are willing to pay out the nose to be part of the "vaunted t14." And since our lsat/gpa median dipped below Georgetown's, theres not an insignificant amount of people for whom we are the only t14 option.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Zo posted:

Because the guilt caused by the idea of taking a child away from your parents doesn't let you.

With that said, I can't drive, at least for now, because of my Tourette's, and my parents live at the edge of farm country near Laytonsville, MD out of the range of any kind of public transit, so I sure hope I never have to live with them again.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

evilweasel posted:

I have a biglaw job I like though this month and last month my leisure activities have been and will continue to be "reviewing documents WHILE WATCHING TV!" instead of just reviewing documents.

I hate depositions.

This is exactly what I'm doing right now and I feel the same way. At least I can watch Rangers games while I do it. Also the case is really interesting I guess.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mikeraskol posted:

This is exactly what I'm doing right now and I feel the same way. At least I can watch Rangers games while I do it. Also the case is really interesting I guess.

It's actually really bad football is over because football is amazingly good TV for doc review. The actual action is relatively brief with long stretches of nothing happening, so even though you spend 90% of your time doing doc review, you catch the whole game and it feels more like watching football than doing doc review. Hockey seems like it'd be bad cause a goal can happen at any time.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

evilweasel posted:

It's actually really bad football is over because football is amazingly good TV for doc review. The actual action is relatively brief with long stretches of nothing happening, so even though you spend 90% of your time doing doc review, you catch the whole game and it feels more like watching football than doing doc review. Hockey seems like it'd be bad cause a goal can happen at any time.

Yeah that sounds about right. Luckily the Yankees will be back soon.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

You always get the replay anyway. That's also why I got Center Ice so I can just leave games on that I don't give a poo poo about whether I miss the action as it happens.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

evilweasel posted:

I do the same thing, except I play JRPGs and review stuff during the spell animations and cutscenes

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

builds character posted:

Just wondering what happened to everyone who posted in this thread two/three years ago.

I posted under the username "Boosted C5"

I am a stay-at-home dad and my law degree is in a closet somewhere with my other useless degrees.

My son is napping right now and I decided to take a break from playing PC games to check in on the old law thread.

My loan payments are $0.00 thanks to IBR and Married Filing Separately.

In 2015 when residency is over and we move out of VA to either FL or SC, and our son is ready for pre-school, I doubt anyone will hire a 2012 grad with zero experience.

I'll probably go back into the business world and forget 2009-2012 ever happened.

Always go to law school.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Start a business doing what, with what capital?

FWIW: You can start an operating functional firm with like $500.

It just requires some business knowledge, a customer service personality, and skills at networking to get questions answered. Fortunately, law school teaches you ZERO of that because it's total poo poo. But in theory, he could start a firm.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Chris Christie posted:

I posted under the username "Boosted C5"

I am a stay-at-home dad and my law degree is in a closet somewhere with my other useless degrees.

My son is napping right now and I decided to take a break from playing PC games to check in on the old law thread.

My loan payments are $0.00 thanks to IBR and Married Filing Separately.

In 2015 when residency is over and we move out of VA to either FL or SC, and our son is ready for pre-school, I doubt anyone will hire a 2012 grad with zero experience.

I'll probably go back into the business world and forget 2009-2012 ever happened.

Always go to law school.
no wonder you were so drat angry in the Romney Toxx thread!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

woozle wuzzle posted:

It just requires some business knowledge, a customer service personality, and skills at networking to get questions answered. Fortunately, law school teaches you ZERO of that because it's total poo poo. But in theory, he could start a firm.

No you can't. Paying yourself to not starve is a capital cost.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

woozle wuzzle posted:

Theoretically, yes; I think he had mentioned that possibility. But the failure rate for solo practices, much less solo practices straight out of law school, is insanely high, and he has no business experience (that I know of, anyway). And yes, "I wouldn't know the first thing to do" might have been mentioned a few times. Also the word "malpractice."

And what Evilweasel said.

I do know a few people from my class who have tried solo practice. Of the two I can think of off the top of my head, one also lives with his parents and the other one lives with his girlfriend, who I think is bringing in most of the income at present. That's not to say it's impossible, though.

(I don't want to make it sound like it's a wasteland for my class or anything--I know plenty who wound up in Big Law, small firm, and government and public interest work that either pays well or has "psychic rewards." Also many that are in work that may not pay so well, but is at least a full-time legal job. But when it goes wrong. . .)

I guess I should mention, I'm personally employed as an analyst, so I mostly just watch from the sidelines as the legal profession eats itself. That said, I'll admit to a certain amount of background fear of what would happen if I ever lost my current job.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 11, 2013

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

builds character posted:

Just wondering what happened to everyone who posted in this thread two/three years ago.

I'm a 2011 grad and I'm on nonpartisan central staff for my state's legislature, working on agricultural law and some other issues. That mainly entails doing legal research for legislators, staffing committees, and bill drafting. The hardest part is working on things you completely disagree with ideologically, but as long as the legislators don't treat you like poo poo even that usually isn't so bad.

However, I fully admit that I got very lucky. I had good connections and an advanced degree in ag law, but I was in a state of existential panic and scrambling to find a job as my LLM program was finishing up in April.

I'm pretty happy with how everything worked out (except student loans still suck and I can't even take advantage of public service forgiveness because the standard payment plan will have it paid off in 10 years), but I still wouldn't recommend taking the risk of law school.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I graduated from a T14 in 2005 intent on not practicing law and have largely accomplished my goal except for a couple of brief stints. At the moment, I'm working in a completely different field making in-house comparable money in half the BIGLAW hours and my co-workers/bosses are actually impressed by my degree.

The catch is that I had to move to a small overseas island to do it and these people have no idea what a US JD actually means/I could've done it from Cooley for free/none of the several monumental strokes of luck it required to get this far had anything to do with the legal profession. As it stands, I've pretty much been making the minimum $750 payments for the last 8 and the next 10 years (in fairness, because the loans are at 3.5%).

Unless you are amazingly lucky, don't go to law school.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
We just had a civil union divorce question come in from a client, and I overheard one of the older associates ask a partner about it, who said "Send it to [TenementFunster]. He's big on all that gay stuff."

:psyduck:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

We just had a civil union divorce question come in from a client, and I overheard one of the older associates ask a partner about it, who said "Send it to [TenementFunster]. He's big on all that gay stuff."

:psyduck:

Haha, my 1L summer I stopped in my boss's office to ask him about some patent prosecution issue and he and his wife were discussing how the client in the office earlier that day seemed like a real "friend of Dorothy." I got the :stare: face from both of them and moved on, but really, who even uses that as a slur anymore?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Just got the most awesome complaint ever.

Demanding $3M because he was not hired for a minimum wage position. He projects that,over a period of 30 years, he likely would have become a VP within the company, and thus, only asking for 3M is quite reasonable.

Other humorous tidbits, he references an employee that allegedly flirted with him, but notes that he does not date black women because he is a god fearing man.

At one point he derails and just starts talking about the type of food he likes to order from the chain restaurant.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mons Hubris posted:

Haha, my 1L summer I stopped in my boss's office to ask him about some patent prosecution issue and he and his wife were discussing how the client in the office earlier that day seemed like a real "friend of Dorothy." I got the :stare: face from both of them and moved on, but really, who even uses that as a slur anymore?
dont jump to conclusions. was your client without a brain and comprised entirely of straw?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Mons Hubris posted:

Friend of Dorothy is not a slur! It's more so the equivalent of us asking if someone has stairs in their house, except it's less gay.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

Friend of Dorothy is not a slur! It's more so the equivalent of us asking if someone has stairs in their house, except it's less gay.

Well that's good to know. The only other time I can even recall hearing that phrase was on Arrested Development. Just based on the reaction, I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to hear it, in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
The past six or so posts in this thread have made my mundane day a little more amusing.