Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's more like Square originally planned for it to be a mobile phone game then decided they wanted to make it on the PSP instead, so they pretty much had to build the game from the ground up. They stated back in November that they do want to bring the game to the West, but unless something is conclusive it's not gonna happen. Given the fact that the PSP is dead in the West and the Vita is not nearly popular enough to take a risk on that sort of thing, I can't really blame them. poo poo happens sometimes and that's just how it goes, it's not like Versus which we've still seen barely anything of, Type-0 actually had a development cycle that they changed their minds on what they wanted the game to be and due to that the game got more recognition, rather than it remain a cell phone game and no one give a poo poo about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info.
So they pretty much started making a game then took too long to get it out, before the console was dead, and now there's no place to put it.
In a roundabout way that makes the answer the one I was expecting all along: Square!

The thing is that the PSP was dead in America while in Japan it was one of the biggest systems out there. It's them developing for the home audience first in this case.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

drat shame too, PSP is/was miles better than the Nintendo alternatives on a technical level, but it was fighting an uphill battle the whole way. Name recognition, price, fragility, memory card prices, UMDs, and the social factor - in japan, local wifi is a huge and common thing (look at all the loving streetpass games on the DS that were near useless im america), so stuff like Monster Hunter is enormous over there, but has no traction over here, simply due to population density issues.

The damage from that and the PS3 missteps really hammered the Vita, and that's even more of a shame because that is a monster of a system for a stupidly cheap price, even accounting for the dumb sony memory stick prices.

So yeah, the PSP market over here is definitely a factor, you can bet their accountants were looking at the cost vs returns.

But given that it's a final fantasy game, it will eventually get some sort of translation I'm sure - the fact that you can literally buy an american FF12, a japanese FF12 ZJ and meld the two with a crazy iso patch and then play it on your ps2 or an emulator is ridiculous and awesome.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
If only SE knew about Peace Walker HD...

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Renoistic posted:

Last Remnant is really weird. I played for a couple hours or so and obliterated every enemy I came across. Then I met the first real boss and realized I had no idea what I was doing the whole time. Took me three tries and after that I really tried figuring the system out, but I just kind of lost interest.

Even after you finally get everything, sometimes the game will throw you into situations where you are woefully underleveled for boss fights and unless you have an extra save or something you're kind of hosed. There's a point like halfway into the game where the difficulty gets ridiculously ramped up.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

The White Dragon posted:

The SNES version also has the Vanish trick: if an enemy is affected by Vanish (which, as a buff, no enemy resists), ALL status magic will work and bypass any resistances. This includes Death (and enemies who would normally absorb it like Undeads) and X-Zone, but X-Zone does weird poo poo to the game's scripting and doesn't count the enemies you kill as "dead," so stick with Death once it's an option if you wanna use the trick.

You will eventually get a character with a "Sketch" command. I recommend not using said command on a Vanished enemy, unless you make a save state first. That could permanently gently caress up an SNES cart, as it did to mine.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I loving love Saga Frontier for how surreal and charming it is, but it's obtuse to the point of unplayability. The game refuses to let you know how crucial poo poo works, and playing along with gamefaqs trying to divine its workings is at best an extremely specific idea of fun.

If it just showed you action order & what can combo before you finalize each turn, it would be about a hundred percent more playable.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

victrix posted:

We need to set up a Kawazu challenge week.

Everyone plays one of Saga Frontier 1 or 2, Unlimited Saga, Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song, or The Last Remnant.

Winner is the last one still playing in a month or so :v:
Can't say a Kawazu challenge week wouldn't appeal to me. His games are hard to get into, but interesting. Every so often I turn on Unlimited Saga and even though frustrating I enjoy the game for some of its unique qualities. A challenge week would give me incentive to really sit down and play that game.

victrix posted:

I sort of admire Square's dedication to bringing Kawazu's crazy bullshit over here, after so many lukewarm receptions... that dude must have some serious pull inside the company.

I know they sell well in japan, but it seems weird that they'd pay the expense of full localization for something like that and not, I don't know, FF12 IZJS or something.
I don't know if Kawazu has serious pull at Square-Enix. I hope so- even if he's not the best developer, better him to call the shots than someone like Kitase or Toriyama.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

victrix posted:

We need to set up a Kawazu challenge week.

Everyone plays one of Saga Frontier 1 or 2, Unlimited Saga, Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song, or The Last Remnant.

Winner is the last one still playing in a month or so :v:

Hell, I'd do it. Got a soft spot in my heart for SF1, obtuse mechanical horseshit be damned, and this'd finally give me a reason to sit down and actually beat all the stories.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
Tough choice for me between SaGa Frontier 1 (because I love that game) and Unlimited SaGa (because an excuse to try and figure out what the gently caress I'm doing there).

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
For the guy playing FF6, I'm pretty sure the evade bug was fixed in the Gameboy Advance version. The music and sound on that version are terrible though.

If you're playing on an emulator, there's a patch for the SNES version to fix the bug and a patch for the GBA version to use the SNES music. The audio as a whole on the SNES version is still a lot better though in my opinion. The GBA version added a few things (e.g. bonus dungeon at the end) and the translation is probably a little better.

Unless you really care about the sound I would play the GBA version with the patched music.

Ross fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 11, 2013

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Amppelix, if you are still near South Figaro go to the mansion in the north west of the town. In the big room on the 2nd floor there is a bookcase on the left. go behind (above) the bookcase into a secret passage. You cant go far in here yet but when you start walking down keep walking past the wall then go a bit right I think. You will enter a secret room with a very useful relic in a treasure chest.

Or better yet, ignore my horrible directions and just check out http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/snes/ff6/walkthrough/walk4.shtml about halfway down the page.

Also, once you get a certain bodybuilder it is good to know that all of his Blitzes are magic damage (boost with earrings) except for pummel and suplex.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Alright after having sunk my teeth deeper into VI (I'm after the opera scene) I feel like the game's really easy. Like really really easy. I only died once so far and that was when I only had one character. Several party members just have access to these huge fuckoff attacks that cost nothing at all and re perfectly spammable, like Edgar's tools and Sabin's blitzes. I just got the chainsaw which does better damage than anything else I can do. Opera Ultros died after he got one attack in. I assume it gets harder as these things are kind of obsoleted by the endgame?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I would personally say VI is the easiest game in the series, closely followed by either VII or VIII (depending on how much you break the latter).

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Alright after having sunk my teeth deeper into VI (I'm after the opera scene) I feel like the game's really easy. Like really really easy. I only died once so far and that was when I only had one character. Several party members just have access to these huge fuckoff attacks that cost nothing at all and re perfectly spammable, like Edgar's tools and Sabin's blitzes. I just got the chainsaw which does better damage than anything else I can do. Opera Ultros died after he got one attack in. I assume it gets harder as these things are kind of obsoleted by the endgame?

You know what they say about assumptions.

No, the game's really, really easy all the way through. If you haven't used a particular character there's a kind of tricky segment about halfway through, but that's about as far as it goes. The battle system's mostly an excuse to see pretty monsters and cool effects, there's zero challenge in it.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Amppelix posted:

You can make VI's endgame absurdly easy with only a little effort. Edgar and Sabin's character specific abilities actually do get less useful but that's mostly because any character with the Quick spell is capable of doing stupid, stupid damage numbers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FFVI never gets hard. If anything it starts easy and just gets easier.

To its credit it is easy in interesting ways in that each character has their own distinctive unique way to break the game compared to FFVIII's homogeneous "equip good poo poo, win" approach, but it's always going to be a cakewalk.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Beat Dimensions!

Had a lot of fun with the little game, despite how trite and uninspired the characters and story were (Four reprises of Galuf VS Exdeath from FF5! Four!). I managed to get a second job mastered for everyone about 3/4ths of the way through the final gauntlet, although I never maxed out Red Mage on Alba for Dualcast. No huge loss, as she was still my biggest damage dealer, with Meteor regularly outputting 8000-10000 damage on bosses.

The final dungeon was brutal, but the final boss was surprisingly easy. With proper use of secondary healing abilities (Chakra, Dualcast+Curative Strike, Restorative Pill, Alchemy), Sarah was often free to just spam Holy on it. It had a lot of HP, probably over 100k, and some very powerful attacks, but it didn't chain them together relentlessly the way some earlier bosses did. The impact of the whole sequence was lessened a bit due to how stupid it looked, and also how I still can't remember who the hell Elgo was.

Is there any ridiculous postgame content for me to tackle next, or is that about it?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Amppelix posted:

I like to do the "No Espers" challenge, it makes your selection of party members and equipment a lot more important without being "this isn't fun anymore" hard.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Amppelix posted:

FFVI is designed around having twenty thousand ways to break the game but doesn't actually expect you to get all of them. It's the only way the difficulty curve makes sense.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ProfessorProf posted:

The final dungeon was brutal, but the final boss was surprisingly easy. With proper use of secondary healing abilities (Chakra, Dualcast+Curative Strike, Restorative Pill, Alchemy), Sarah was often free to just spam Holy on it. It had a lot of HP, probably over 100k, and some very powerful attacks, but it didn't chain them together relentlessly the way some earlier bosses did. The impact of the whole sequence was lessened a bit due to how stupid it looked, and also how I still can't remember who the hell Elgo was.

Is there any ridiculous postgame content for me to tackle next, or is that about it?

Your spoiler character is the guy from the prologue with the heroes of light. I only remembered who he was because the characters make a big deal that they know him even if the reveal is non-sensical, has no dramatic impact, and comes like 5 seconds before the final boss fight therefore having no impact on the story.

All thats left to you in postgame content are 3 bosses who level up when beat them dropping Moogle Coins (yay), armor upgrades (eh?) and super weapons (why?). It feels like a preperatory section for some ridiculous endgame content that doesn't exist. In case you missed it you can go back for summons or fight the blade dancer or super squirrel. Its really odd the game ends where it does because you'll likely not even have mastered more than 2 or 3 jobs and there is nothing to do but grind if you want to get the rest of them for no reason.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Trasson posted:

FFVI is designed around having twenty thousand ways to break the game but doesn't actually expect you to get all of them. It's the only way the difficulty curve makes sense.

Yeah, part of the "problem" with FF6 is that the World of Ruin is basically designed like an open-ended WRPG or something. You have a shitload of optional dungeons and sidequests laden with optional item and esper rewards. It's a pretty tough act to try and make it so you can 1) do stuff in almost any order 2) get all the stuff and still have challenges 3) get none of the stuff and still be able to finish the game. I don't think I've ever played an open-world RPG that succeeded at all three without straight up making everything scale, which really hurts the "feel" of content. I'm not even sure it's possible.

I'm also not sure which Final Fantasy game is comparatively difficult. Every single other one is also either easy from the get-go (FF4, FF7), or allows you to sidequest/grind away all the difficulty (FF2, FF9), or is amazingly trivial to beat in your sleep if you understand its systems (FF5, FF8). The FF game with the most sensible difficulty curve is FF13, which uh... it's really easy to make a game with a sensible difficulty curve when you don't let people choose their party for 2/3rds of the game, enforce low level caps that raise as you progress, and have optional content consisting of "one dead-end hallway per dungeon with a potion in it".

Baku fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 11, 2013

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So the japanese version of level scaling is what you're saying :v:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
The most difficult of them all for me was the original SNES version of FF4, and probably also the original NES FF1. It might be more that I was a kid when I played them both than any true difficulty factor, though (and I seem to recall there being a rom translation/release of the Japanese SNES-FF4 as a 'hard-type').

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I think the internet, as much as any game design changes, have made rpgs and single player games in general a lot easier.

That isn't to say they're all *hard* necessarily, just that they're hilariously easy if you're aware of various ways to break the game ahead of time.

Difficulty through obscurity isn't really great design anyway (hello again Kawazu!), so its probably for the best really.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
NES FF1 was hard and there is no way I could have beat it without that Nintendo Power guidebook. I think I was 9 when it came out though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There's one section of VI that is kinda hard and you can die pretty easily, depending on when you decide to take it on, but other than that it is pretty ridiculously easy.

That part being The Tower of Fanatics in the World of Ruin. Magic only and most enemies have reflect so you have to have reflect and reflect your spells off yourselves and aaaaaaaa that place is so stupid

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
If I remember right the Best Character Umaro :wookie: could still attack in the tower.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You guys didn't just spam Blitzes there?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Idk what all this babble is about the answer to the Fanatic's Tower is the Moogle Charm.

But yeah that's one of the parts that legitimately is hard if you don't know what you're doing, sort of like the optional bosses and Neo-XD in FF5, where a little bit of system mastery and knowing what they do goes a long way.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Toshimo posted:

You guys didn't just spam Blitzes there?

Not an option in the GBA remake at least, your commands are Magic and Item.

(Fanatics' Tower is a great place to grind your spells out since each encounter is worth 7-10 AP if I remember right.)

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

For some reason I have trouble with every version of FF1, I've beaten it yeah but the game feels grindy as hell to me. Otherwise, every game has one hard area or boss* and has been otherwise really easy the whole way through.
Unless you know the trick to it

From memory of the ones I've played:
I - Gulug Volcano always kicks my rear end hard, between potions being effectively worthless and magic being so limited
IV - On The Moon enemies suddenly like double in difficulty, comedy option the Dark Elf Cave.
V - Actually this one is pretty constant and if you know the job system well enough (and after a couple of FFV4JF you kinda have to) there is nothing that will really trip you up
VI - The Tunnel Bot right after you get Ceres with Locke always makes me grind up another couple of levels. Seriously every time I play through VI I only get a game over there, against that thing.
VII - No OK this one is pretty easy no matter what
VIII - If you don't know about level scaling then there are a couple of tough areas, like the Cuerls around Lunatic Pandora, and the Final Dungeon in general if you get Scanned and cant Attack or use Magic anymore. This dungeon is why I never finished the game
XI - Gizamaluke. Gizamaluke wrecks.
X - All I can recall having trouble with is Kimahri's solo fight and some giant bird or dragon on top of the Airship.
XII - This one might just have been me, but the six Mandrake bosses annihilated me my first play through, I had to completely restart the game I was so under-leveled. This one is just me though I'm sure, I breezed it the last time I played.
XIII - The first fight with Barthandalus is a wall for a lot of people, I think I Game Over'd a couple times there.

Tactics, on the other hand, is pretty rough the whole way if you don't spend a bit of time leveling up, and I'm sure everyone can think of 3-4 fights worth having a second save file handy for. Side quest areas excluded, of course. Fanatics Tower in VI is a nightmare without Reflect Rings.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

X- Mt. Gagazet Seymour

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
A lot of people I've talked to had trouble with the Kimahri solo fight, but I've never had trouble with it since I never used Kimahri until that point. During the battle I just get spammed with all these new monster abilities which instantly fills up the overdrive meter making the fight into a joke.

Hell, is there any reason to use him when you have Tidus and Auron? Maybe if blue magic didn't have the overdrive requirement he would have been a good character.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

For some reason I have trouble with every version of FF1, I've beaten it yeah but the game feels grindy as hell to me. Otherwise, every game has one hard area or boss* and has been otherwise really easy the whole way through.
Unless you know the trick to it

From memory of the ones I've played:
I - Gulug Volcano always kicks my rear end hard, between potions being effectively worthless and magic being so limited

I always seemed to have issues with this place on the NES version, but every playthrough I've done since my first has been:
Beat Lich
Get Canoe
Go to Ordeals
Go to Ice Cave
Get Canoe
Class Change

By the time I'm done I can go walk through the Volcano to kill Kary quick and easy.

e: I don't understand how TunnelArmr is that hard unless you're somehow level 10 or lower. Celes can just use Runic while Locke kills/potions as needed (but it will take awhile).

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
In this discussion of difficult Final Fantasies, how could you forget number 3? While I think FF3 is pretty reasonable for most of the game, except for some bits of bullshit here and there, the endgame is just sadistic.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Camel Pimp posted:

In this discussion of difficult Final Fantasies, how could you forget number 3? While I think FF3 is pretty reasonable for most of the game, except for some bits of bullshit here and there, the endgame is just sadistic.

I've never played II or III so everything I heard about them being difficult is not my opinoin to give, but here it is anyway:
II - If you don't know how stats rise, this game can screw you up hard
III - No save point in the last dungeon, only one place to use a tent halfway through it.

There - that's hearsay and probably incorrect.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
FF1 was pretty hardcore, in most of the dungeons after you beat the boss you had to walk back out, although I think the dungeons with the Four Fiends let you step on the magic orb and it would teleport you to the entrance. I can't remember if there was a "Warp" spell or anything similar. Most of the dungeons were intended to be tackled with multiple trips; going in and getting all the treasure, killing the boss, and making it back out and back to town was not usually something you could do on your first shot without some substantial grinding ahead of time.

Tents/Cabins/Houses let you save on the overworld but if I remember right they were pretty pricey and until those became available you could only save at inns.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There's one section of VI that is kinda hard and you can die pretty easily, depending on when you decide to take it on, but other than that it is pretty ridiculously easy.

That part being The Tower of Fanatics in the World of Ruin. Magic only and most enemies have reflect so you have to have reflect and reflect your spells off yourselves and aaaaaaaa that place is so stupid

Moogle charm the whole way up, kill the dragon along the way, Berserk and Osmose the boss until he dies from having 0MP.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

IV - comedy option the Dark Elf Cave.

That cave is stupid and it irritates me so much. It's not even that it's difficult, just that having no sword on Cecil turns that place into a slog. Maybe if they didn't hard cap Tellah at 90 MP, I could just blast through it with magic.