Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone from Wisconsin ever go to the Food and Froth at the Milwaukee Public Museum? Seems like it would be pretty fun to drink around some Dinosaurs.

http://www.mpm.edu/plan-your-visit/events/15th-annual-food-froth-fest

I'm always amazed that companies like Miller show up to these things. Do people really spend $70 on a ticket and drink that? Not much stands out though. Oskar Blues, Lagunitas, and Founders if they bring something special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Harminoff posted:

Anyone from Wisconsin ever go to the Food and Froth at the Milwaukee Public Museum? Seems like it would be pretty fun to drink around some Dinosaurs.

http://www.mpm.edu/plan-your-visit/events/15th-annual-food-froth-fest

I'm always amazed that companies like Miller show up to these things. Do people really spend $70 on a ticket and drink that? Not much stands out though. Oskar Blues, Lagunitas, and Founders if they bring something special.

New Glarus is also something to look out for as well on that list.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

crazyfish posted:

FYI, Two Hearted is straight up Centennial. And it is amazing when fresh.

Thanks for that. I'm surprised actually as I didn't pick up much citrus from it, it was a bit more floral than citrus. I definitely like Founders Centennial IPA over Two Hearted then.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Furious Lobster posted:

New Glarus is also something to look out for as well on that list.

Well I'm from Wisconsin so I've tried everything they bottle, unless they usually bring stuff just for these events?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bartolimu posted:

Yeah, I (and 30 of my closest friends) stared hate daggers at them and the Shorts guys while pounding Hill Farmstead Edward.

I agree with your entire post but I do not think I could must a whole hell of a lot of hate for anyone if I had enough Hill Farmstead to pound it. Especially Edward, wow is that a nice goddamned APA.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Cervixalot posted:

So I'm stuck in Orlando until my flight this afternoon. Where is a good spot to grab some beer I can't find in Chicago somewhere near the orange county convention center or the airport? Goon beer recos have not steered me wrong yet

When I was there in December, I found no good shops near the airport. I did take time to go to Knightly, which was a good shop. Lots and lots of CCB.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
Waited in line for 8 hour yesterday for the Younger. Got there at 10:30am and got in finally at 6:30pm. Luckily we came up on a bus so our group traded off waiting in line with drinking growlers of Pliny the Elder in the bus.

Verdict? Better than the one I had two years ago. It's so balanced and floral; definitely earns it's right as one of the best beers in the world. I also love that they charge $4.50 for a 10oz. Makes it so that anyone who is willing to wait in line can have a taste of what has been called the best beer in the world unlike wines, whiskeys or any other liquor. If it wasn't a special release, it would be hard for me to ever drink anything else.

Left pretty drunk with 4 growlers of Elder and 2 of each of the barrel aged sours. Russian River knows how to brew beers.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Harminoff posted:

Well I'm from Wisconsin so I've tried everything they bottle, unless they usually bring stuff just for these events?

Difference in perspective since I can't regularly get any of New Glarus' stuff but I'd be more interested in anything that they bottle over any of Lagunitas' specials if they do appear.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

The Polish Pirate posted:

Waited in line for 8 hour yesterday for the Younger. Got there at 10:30am and got in finally at 6:30pm. Luckily we came up on a bus so our group traded off waiting in line with drinking growlers of Pliny the Elder in the bus.

Verdict? Better than the one I had two years ago. It's so balanced and floral; definitely earns it's right as one of the best beers in the world. I also love that they charge $4.50 for a 10oz. Makes it so that anyone who is willing to wait in line can have a taste of what has been called the best beer in the world unlike wines, whiskeys or any other liquor. If it wasn't a special release, it would be hard for me to ever drink anything else.

Left pretty drunk with 4 growlers of Elder and 2 of each of the barrel aged sours. Russian River knows how to brew beers.

I don't have a specific value that i've assigned for my time but an 8 hour wait would make that by far the most expensive 10 oz of beer i've ever drank. And far more than even the most expensive whiskey i've ever bought.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I guess I should consider myself very lucky since I got into the brewery with an one hour wait. I waited in additional hour to get a table to eat.

I was able to pick up a growler of Blind Pig. I wanted to pick up on their Sours but the board on the wall stated that I couldn't get any sours in a growler.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Apparently the waits for younger aren't that bad if you don't try to go on the weekend. I kind of want to go next year but I'd probably go midweek.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I got in line at 9:30am (an hour and a half before they opened) and it still took 7-8 hours for me to get in. Turns out that almost everyone from the first and second waves of customers spent 3.5+ hours at their tables getting completely wasted. I still love the beer but I'll probably skip the event next year.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Phanatic posted:

I agree with your entire post but I do not think I could must a whole hell of a lot of hate for anyone if I had enough Hill Farmstead to pound it. Especially Edward, wow is that a nice goddamned APA.

It really is. I ordered a Spanish IPA they had on tap and it was pretty good, but it suffered from being not Edward.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Wasn't super impressed with Panil Barriquee. I might buy again if it was $7 or so cheaper, but I was hoping for more wood. Glad I tried it, but I think money is better spent on something else.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I picked up Elysian's Savant IPA which is hopped with Chinook and Nelson Sauvin hops and I really like it. The bitterness is right away of grapefruit being moderately assertive, it's certainly on the bitter side but not a hop bomb. There are hints of tropical aromas and flavors, but mostly grapefruit bitterness. This is a solid beer, definitely worth checking out.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Picked up Victory at Sea, Sculpin, Enjoy by 02.15.13 and Jai Alai this weekend. Enjoyed everything but the Sculpin, a little too much cat piss for me. I'll definitely be grabbing Victory at Sea again, it was pretty yummy.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Drinking a Clown Shoes Vampire Slayer. It's really damned good. A bit of fruit in the background, but not the Amish farmers' market that the BA reviews seem to think there are.
Speaking of, anybody got the link to the awesome review posted last week? The IDGAF review?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Captain Shortbus posted:

Drinking a Clown Shoes Vampire Slayer. It's really damned good. A bit of fruit in the background, but not the Amish farmers' market that the BA reviews seem to think there are.
Speaking of, anybody got the link to the awesome review posted last week? The IDGAF review?

I haven't had that one yet. How would you compare it to Blaecorn Unidragon? I really like that and its barrel aged version Porcine Unidragon (although it can be a bit hot fresh).

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Drinking a Duchess de Bourgogne and this poo poo is awesome. It's a flanders brown that's fairly sweet and fruity but has just enough tartness and a hint of funk to balance it out. This would be a good beer for anyone who doesn't have a lot of experience with sours.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

swickles posted:

I haven't had that one yet. How would you compare it to Blaecorn Unidragon? I really like that and its barrel aged version Porcine Unidragon (although it can be a bit hot fresh).

I've never heard of those beers, let alone that brewery. Am I horrible for this? Where are you located? I'd compare it to Stone's Anise RIS, or maybe a stronger Kalamazoo Stout. A bit of licorice, but it's not too forward.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Captain Shortbus posted:

I've never heard of those beers, let alone that brewery. Am I horrible for this? Where are you located? I'd compare it to Stone's Anise RIS, or maybe a stronger Kalamazoo Stout. A bit of licorice, but it's not too forward.

Clown Shoes is out of Massachusetts I believe. I am in South Florida which has a really weird distribution. We get some awesome things, and then some things you would think we would get, but don't.

Blaecorn Unidragon is another Imperial Stout by Clown Shoes, a little higher in ABV than Vampire Slayer. Its absolutely delicious and one of the best Imperial Stouts out there. Both of them are on the shelves here, and for a good price. I just haven't gotten around to Vampire Slayer, because I know I can get it easily year round and there are always something else more interesting or difficult to get.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Get the Vampire Killer. It's a solid RIS. Now, about some Cigar City, hit me up on PM or the trade thread. :haw:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

swickles posted:

Blaecorn Unidragon is another Imperial Stout by Clown Shoes, a little higher in ABV than Vampire Slayer. Its absolutely delicious and one of the best Imperial Stouts out there. Both of them are on the shelves here, and for a good price. I just haven't gotten around to Vampire Slayer, because I know I can get it easily year round and there are always something else more interesting or difficult to get.

Vampire Slayer is a straightforward chocolate/roast imperial stout, whereas Unidragon is much hoppier with a bit more boozy heat. the former is simpler, but it's better-made and really easy to drink.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

It's really great, and I thank the man who lovingly sent it to me.
I still get some licorice out of it, though.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Josh Wow posted:

Drinking a Duchess de Bourgogne and this poo poo is awesome. It's a flanders brown that's fairly sweet and fruity but has just enough tartness and a hint of funk to balance it out. This would be a good beer for anyone who doesn't have a lot of experience with sours.

I love the Duchess. There's a bar near me that will do 8 oz pours of three different beers for $10 and I always add the Duchess on there because it's such a good deal. It's definitely not a benchmark for what a sour should be, but it's deliciously sweet and tart all the same.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Josh Wow posted:

Duchess is a great "training weels sour" for sure, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way at all. Just that it's at the very mild and inoffensive end of the sour beer spectrum. I'd say the same about Monk's Cafe.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Founders' blog has announced their next Backstage release: "Doom," which is Double Trouble aged in bourbon barrels.

I've never had a bourbon barrel IPA/DIPA before. It doesn't sound... ideal. Anyone have experience?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

Founders' blog has announced their next Backstage release: "Doom," which is Double Trouble aged in bourbon barrels.

I've never had a bourbon barrel IPA/DIPA before. It doesn't sound... ideal. Anyone have experience?

I got a growler of Shorts' Bourbon Huma over the weekend at the brewpub, it's pretty good. Hand of Doom and Looking Glass (Double Trouble in Brandy Barrels) were really popular when they were available at Founders on draft, I'm sure they'll be awesome.

Here's the link and label:
http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2013/doom-is-our-next-backstage-series-release/?av-submitted=true

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

danbanana posted:

Closest beer I've had to a BA IPA/DIPA is Southern Tier Oaked UnEarthy and it was a bit disappointing to be honest. I think the oak flavor sort of ruins the hoppy finish most IPA/DIPA are known for. I can't imagine adding in a little bourbon flavor as well

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

lazerwolf posted:

Closest beer I've had to a BA IPA/DIPA is Southern Tier Oaked UnEarthy and it was a bit disappointing to be honest. I think the oak flavor sort of ruins the hoppy finish most IPA/DIPA are known for. I can't imagine adding in a little bourbon flavor as well

I've had lots of wood-aged DIPAs/IPAs (with Humidor Jai Alai being far away the best and an amazing beer in general), but aging in used bourbon barrels is a different beast. Maybe if it was a bigger, sweeter DIPA (Double Crooked Tree?) I could see it, but Double Trouble is pretty hoppy. I'm not saying it's not going to be good, just something you generally don't see.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

danbanana posted:

Had this one a few years ago on draft when it was called "Hand of Doom," I don't know if they ever bottled it.

I don't know if it was the same recipe but it was also Double Trouble aged in bourbon barrels so given that and the name I gotta figure it's the same beer. It was pretty damned good. It was also pretty damned strong.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Phanatic posted:

Had this one a few years ago on draft when it was called "Hand of Doom," I don't know if they ever bottled it.

I don't know if it was the same recipe but it was also Double Trouble aged in bourbon barrels so given that and the name I gotta figure it's the same beer. It was pretty damned good. It was also pretty damned strong.

It's Hand of Doom. This is the first bottling.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I've learned my lesson from the Frangelic release, so I'll probably only be picking up one until I get to taste it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Captain Shortbus posted:

It's really great, and I thank the man who lovingly sent it to me.
I still get some licorice out of it, though.

i bet he's a handsome devil.

danbanana posted:

i've had two and i'd say they leaned more hoppy barleywine than anything else.

danbanana posted:

It's Hand of Doom. This is the first bottling.

i really hope the next release is Rat Salad

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

danbanana posted:

I've had several. Your instincts are correct: bourbon barrel DIPAs are worse than the sum of their parts. In every case, the straight DIPA is better IMO, not to mention less expensive.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I had Looking Glass from Founders which was either Double Trouble or Devil Dancer aged in brandy barrels. It was ok.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Phanatic posted:

Here are the bad things:

1. It gets very crowded.

I've had decidedly rude/direct service, which I don't necessarily mind. They just don't really have to make you feel welcome there to get repeat business, that's for certain.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
This year's Nugget Nectar is pretty nice IMO, but its almost too clean. The aroma is awesome as usual, and the hop flavor is definitely there at the outset, but about 5 seconds after you take a sip it all falls away to reveal...nothing. Not until the bitterness starts to take over the palate does it pick up again. I think I'd have liked a bit more unfermentable sugar or something else to make it more interesting.

This year's Big Foot is pretty rockin, though.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Local hole in the wall just randomly announced they have BCBS Coffee on tap today :stare: Just when I was planning to kick weeknight drinking...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

BeerShip.com is a pretty great service, right now they have Midnight Sun's Arctic Devil for Sale, an english barleywine aged in bourbon barrels. It's pretty tasty:

http://www.beership.com/midnight-sun-arctic-devil-barleywine-2013-22oz.html