Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fishylungs posted:

I don't know about everyone else, but at the moment I pretty much own all but 2 of the games I want that are out. It's thinner than what the 3DS had at launch, and from the looks of it it's not getting much better.

On that note, does anyone know anything about Tank! Tank! Tank! ? It looked like fun but is it really any good?

It's a fun little game for five or ten bucks if you've got some friends. Unfortunately it is full price.

In all seriousness though, it has no online component and the game is meant to be just a few minutes of fun at an arcade, not something you take home with you. It is reaaaaally lacking in content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Crowbear posted:

There is not, nor has there ever been any actual proof that this conspiracy theory that Nintendo fans thought up ever actually happened. The rumor started when some random dude on Reddit claimed that his friend was in a meeting between Nintendo and EA and saw it happen. AKA the least reliable source ever.

I've said it before, but companies don't tend to make business decisions based on grudges.

Also, if every company that's not porting their big games to the Wii U did it because they were mad at Nintendo, then Nintendo must be very unpleasant to deal with 'cause it sure as hell isn't just EA.

Nintendo is and always has been a serious pain in the rear end to deal with for western third party developers, and not necessarily just because of the different direction they take their hardware. Third parties were often treated like garbage during the NES/SNES years, so much that when Sony and Nintendo had their little split that resulted in the PSX, a LOT of companies basically jumped ship and did not look back (or halfassed their support) for some time.

Frankly, I don't think it matters all that much in the end to Nintendo. They've got a really good set of recognizable properties people are willing to buy their systems for, they have not relied on third party support to push their hardware for years. At worst, they might not be the overwhelming console sales powerhouse they were during the Wii but they'll probably still turn a profit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Japanese eShop release is free-to-play with microtransactions, so if the international release follows the same format it might be worth trying, maybe.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

^ ^ ^ ^ Huh? What're you referring to?

fivegears4reverse posted:

Nintendo is and always has been a serious pain in the rear end to deal with for western third party developers, and not necessarily just because of the different direction they take their hardware. Third parties were often treated like garbage during the NES/SNES years, so much that when Sony and Nintendo had their little split that resulted in the PSX, a LOT of companies basically jumped ship and did not look back (or halfassed their support) for some time.

This happened almost two decades ago, times have changed.

Now Microsoft and third-parties like EA/Epic are the ones lording over everyone and setting the rules, while Nintendo and Sony (well some things don't change) are the ones courting devs. A lot of indie devs have even said that Nintendo's current eshop has the most lax rules with DLC/pricing/patches, etc. out of any major existing platform and it's turning a lot of heads.

Historically speaking, when a business becomes king of the jungle they become pretty oppressive and start gouging consumers for everything they have. Let's say Microsoft and Sony totally flop their next consoles and the WiiU+3DS become all but a monopoly, it would not surprise me at all if Nintendo reverted to being complete assholes.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 11, 2013

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

^ ^ ^ ^ Huh? What're you referring to?

He's talking about Tank! Tank! Tank! Similarly, Nintendo's karaoke game in Japan has a similar structure. You pay for service 48 hours at a time, but while you have the service, you have access to thousands of songs. Sounds a lot better than the US's Sing.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bobnumerotres posted:

This happened almost two decades ago, times have changed.

Now Microsoft and third-parties like EA/Epic are the ones lording over everyone and setting the rules, while Nintendo and Sony (well some things don't change) are the ones courting devs. A lot of indie devs have even said that Nintendo's current eshop has the most lax rules with DLC/pricing/patches, etc. out of any major existing platform and it's turning a lot of heads.

Oh, I know times really have changed. Nintendo is a lot better now than they used to be at third party relations, but they aren't the only company that has changed. EA, Activision, these are major players that, like it or not, actually have influence in the industry. Enough of it that the other console makers play ball with them to a greater extent.

To an extent, console makers SHOULD court devs. Game developers make a console worth more than the plastic and silicon they're made from. If a console maker doesn't want to play that game, then they need to step up first party efforts. That's partly why Nintendo is more or less safe from whatever doomsaying people are quick to jump to. They have the first party thing in the bag compared to anyone else. They've got brand recognition I'm sure some people in the business would kill to have. The whole third party thing with Nintendo is a really bizarre self-fulfilling prophecy at this point. "Nobody buys our poo poo! Lets put lazy poo poo on the system! It's not selling! Nintendo stop doing so well on your own hardware so people might deign to look at our games on your system!"

For all of Nintendo's changes, their online system still sucks. In it's current state, it's not consumer friendly at best.

More pertinently to the topic at hand, I don't think it allows other companies to take ownership of their product when you compare it to what they can do on PSN or Live. It sounds silly, there are lots of folks here that I'm sure are more than capable of a multi-page epic post of how hosed up and stupid some of these business practices are, but it makes them extra money. If Nintendo is somehow interfering with that, it's not really all that surprising that relations with EA went cold as fast as they did. It was mentioned earlier that companies in this industry would be silly to make decisions based on grudges, but that was immediately responded to with examples of these multi-million dollar companies doing some some petty stuff to one another.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You know people keep comlaining about Rayman being pushed back, but nobody has mentioned that Pandora's Tower is coming out next month for the Wii/Wii-U. I mean if you're looking for a big long game that's certainly one to pick up. It's also priced at 40 bucks instead of 60. If you liked Xenoblade and Last Story then you'll probably like Pandora's Tower.

I mean geez don't just gloss over it since it finally got an NTSC release. After years of being in limbo. :negative:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

WendigoJohnson posted:

You know people keep comlaining about Rayman being pushed back, but nobody has mentioned that Pandora's Tower is coming out next month for the Wii/Wii-U. I mean if you're looking for a big long game that's certainly one to pick up. It's also priced at 40 bucks instead of 60. If you liked Xenoblade and Last Story then you'll probably like Pandora's Tower.

I mena geez don't just gloss over it since it finally got an NTSC release. After years of being in limbo. :negative:

Next month is also the release of Monster Hunter and Lego City Undercover, though. The promise of new games in a month and a half doesn't make that time and the past two months stop sucking.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Artix74 posted:

Next month is also the release of Monster Hunter and Lego City Undercover, though. The promise of new games in a month and a half doesn't make that time and the past two months stop sucking.

Yeah that's true, especialy compared to the Wii that atleast had Zelda on it at launch.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yeah that's true, especialy compared to the Wii that atleast had Zelda on it at launch.

A Zelda that was a gamecube port. That was delayed for almost a year just so it could be on the Wii.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bobnumerotres posted:

A Zelda that was a gamecube port. That was delayed for almost a year just so it could be on the Wii.

Yeah, but at that point they had pretty much given up on the Gamecube in favor of the newer system. Honestly I am frustrated by the Wii-U situation myself. I wound up importing the physical copies of the japanese exclusive titles that are coming to the NOJ virtual console store and they were actually much less than the digital downloads. Mother 2 ran me like 5 bucks after import shipping charges. Hell you don't even need a Super Famicom to run them either, they work fine on a Super Nintendo and require no extra aftermarket parts or software to run the games.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

By the way if anyone thinks EA couldn't just fart out another Fifa/Madden/Tiger woods on the WiiU with minimal effort, they are still doing this:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So will Fifa on PS2 outlast Fifa on any of the current consoles? They just dropped it for handhelds, right?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cliff Racer posted:

So will Fifa on PS2 outlast Fifa on any of the current consoles? They just dropped it for handhelds, right?

PS2 is one of the most popular systems in the world, and it's still being sold in countries that don't see official support from the big console makers despite getting discontinued recently. Combine that with soccer being THE most popular sport in the world, I'm not too surprised.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Cliff Racer posted:

I am not sure, but apparently the Wii U Fifa 13 was actually just Fifa 12s Graphics/Gameplay engine with this seasons team updates. That is how half arsed they are rolling.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Long John Power posted:

I am not sure, but apparently the Wii U Fifa 13 was actually just Fifa 12s Graphics/Gameplay engine with this seasons team updates. That is how half arsed they are rolling.
Well they had all the nice gamepad stuff at least. Not sure about the Fifa team, but I remember the Madden guys saying they had something like 6 months to do their port...which also might explain why it didn't have the new physics engine, cause that seemed to come late enough to not make it into their NCAA 13 releases (on 360/PS3) either.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
The install base argument, while i'm not saying is untrue, is some kind of weird paradox. 3rd parties don't want to develop or port games due to a low install base, but it takes games to sell a console. Nintendo makes first party games to sell their console, but 3rd parties get upset that their games don't sell as well as 1st party games and don't want to port or develop games for Nintendo consoles.

I haven't purchased or enjoyed a football game since NFL2k on dreamcast, so I could give a poo poo less about Madden personally. I don't really think it's a big deal it's not coming to Wii U because Madden seems similar to Call of Duty in that if you are going to buy it, it's probably going to be bought on the PS3/360. The option to have it on Wii U would be nice and having the gamepad screen to select plays like you could do on the dreamcast with NFL2k would be sweet...but ultimately if you went into the Madden thread here on SA asking about the Wii U, you'd probably get laughed out of the thread just like in the COD thread.

As far as Monster Hunter goes, personally it's one of the reasons I purchased a Wii U and if you find you enjoy it then there's literally hundreds of hours worth of gameplay. If you've never played the series before, a demo is going to be released on 2/21 so I highly suggest people at least try it out.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 11, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

katkillad2 posted:

If you've never played the series before, a demo is going to be released on 2/21 so I highly suggest people at least try it out.

That's good to know. Between that, F-Zero practically for free and the Playstation announcement, the 20th/21st should be interesting.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

That's good to know. Between that, F-Zero practically for free and the Playstation announcement, the 20th/21st should be interesting.

F-zero practically for free? Am I missing something here?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It's the next Wii U VC game.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

F-zero practically for free? Am I missing something here?

Well .30 cents is practically free.

Rerez
Feb 11, 2013
This 30 cent thing is great. I didn't think I would be playing Balloon Fight nearly as much as I am. However I would have liked to be able to play it n the go with my 3DS.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Rerez posted:

This 30 cent thing is great. I didn't think I would be playing Balloon Fight nearly as much as I am. However I would have liked to be able to play it n the go with my 3DS.

It is on the 3DS Virtual Console for full price, maybe you know that though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Artix74 posted:

It's the next Wii U VC game.

Isn't it going to be the Super Nintendo one? Maybe I'm a bad person but I think the series got good when it was in true 3D. You get a real sense of speed and they introduced a lot of the brutality. I tried the SNES one years ago and it was missing everything I thought made the series great. Music was still badass though.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 11, 2013

Rerez
Feb 11, 2013

AngryCaterpillar posted:

It is on the 3DS Virtual Console for full price, maybe you know that though.

I just like buying things on one device and having it on the other.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Bobnumerotres posted:

Isn't it going to be the Super Nintendo one? Maybe I'm a bad person but I think the series got good when it was in true 3D. You get a real sense of speed and they introduced a lot of the brutality. I tried the SNES one years ago and it was missing everything I thought made the series great. Music was still badass though.

The SNES one was weird because I remember going to my friend's house and they had it. Whenever he started it up, I would ask where was the 2 player option. There wasn't one :smith:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bobnumerotres posted:

F-Zero GX HD with online would be the greatest thing ever.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there a way to change settings for Wii mode? I'm playing Skyward Sword and getting a 16x9 image that is letter boxed on all sides, which kind of blows. I'm sure I could change it via the TV, but is rather fix it on the console level if possible. The settings menu in Wii mode is basically empty, and I don't see anything in the WiiUs system settings.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

TaurusOxford posted:

F-Zero GX HD with online would be the greatest thing ever.

Seems like Nintendo would probably ruin it with poor netcode somehow. But if executed properly, yes, that would be great

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Black Baby Goku posted:

Nintendo systems should be bought for primarily nintendo made games. Third party games being good is a bonus.
You can buy a Vita for primarily Sony-made games but that doesn't make it a smart decision. And I own one. There has to be more than that. I want to support Nintendo because I enjoy their games, but I am tired of buying consoles that publishers regard as 'that other thing'. I want multiplatform titles. And I want the ability to play them off screen, on the gamepad. I don't like the "just buy a 360" argument, because I'm not going to be playing Xbox 360 games on a button-less SmartGlass device, and the PS3 has very few Cross-Play titles.

Purchasing Nintendo consoles means conditioning yourself to accept lower standards for even the most basic of conveniences and expectations and I don't understand why it has to be that way. I can be a Nintendo fan and still be disappointed and want more. When EA backs out and Ubisoft delays a game right before release, I'm pretty concerned and disappointed, because they're the two biggest publishers in gaming. But I'd be bothered if it was any publisher or developer. It just sucks.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 11, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

GX is designed around the Gamecube's triggers though, which were analog with a digital click. The Gamepad and Pro Controller only have digital, so the game would have to play a bit differently.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Crowbear posted:

His feud with Neogaf is still one of my favorite stories ever. What a moron.

At the risk of derailing, might I beseech you for a link where I can read further about this feud?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Lizard Wizard posted:

At the risk of derailing, might I beseech you for a link where I can read further about this feud?

This is the start of it: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/06/dyack-fuels-the-fire-makes-bet-with-neogaf/

Needless to say, no one got owned by Too Human.

He later tried to justify it by saying it was his way of exposing the ills of internet posting culture: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/07/dennis-dyack-explains-noegaf-message-board-post/

He was banned from gaf shortly after that.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

^^^^ It's kind of a good thing that the only reason Eternal Darkness was great (at the time) is because Nintendo did all their homework for them. It just means that Nintendo is perfectly capable of making another horror game of such high quality. They also have all the rights I think.

Supercar Gautier posted:

GX is designed around the Gamecube's triggers though, which were analog with a digital click. The Gamepad and Pro Controller only have digital, so the game would have to play a bit differently.

Eh it wasn't that big a deal and there's other ways you could do it. Like shoulder button for drift and shoulder trigger for power sliding. If I recall correctly F-zero GX left a lot of buttons unused that can now be easily reached on the gamepad/CC pro.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 11, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Crowbear posted:

I've said it before, but companies don't tend to make business decisions based on grudges.
With the right CEO and corporate structure, they absolutely do.

I don't think that happened here, but corporations are run by human beings, and sometimes they get pissy.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Bobnumerotres posted:

If I recall correctly F-zero GX left a lot of buttons unused that can now be easily reached on the gamepad/CC pro.

Don't think so. A Accel, B Brake, Y Boost, hold X to side-attack, L/R for drifting based on how far you press it (analog!), Z spin, that's all the buttons on the GC controller.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Long John Power posted:

I always figured that's what every iteration of sports game was, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to do more than minorly update a few things each iteration with new players and cosmetic changes. I don't think the rules of Soccer or Football or whatever change very often, the yearly iteration never made any drat sense to me except as something to sell to goobers every year.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Khanstant posted:

I always figured that's what every iteration of sports game was, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to do more than minorly update a few things each iteration with new players and cosmetic changes. I don't think the rules of Soccer or Football or whatever change very often, the yearly iteration never made any drat sense to me except as something to sell to goobers every year.

They do add things from year to year, like new physics engines, career modes, m more simulation stuff, roster updates, etc. Not enough that if you bought it two years in a row you'd see any difference, but if you bought the first iteration and last iteration on any one console they're very different games.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

They do add things from year to year, like new physics engines, career modes, m more simulation stuff, roster updates, etc. Not enough that if you bought it two years in a row you'd see any difference, but if you bought the first iteration and last iteration on any one console they're very different games.

It's still a rip-off though. CoD aside no other game series could get away with the poo poo that sports games do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's still a rip-off though. CoD aside no other game series could get away with the poo poo that sports games do.

Capcom re-used the same sprites for their fighting games from 1994 to 2002.

• Locked thread