Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

prom candy posted:

Update Rack if you're using it, more security fun: http://rack.github.com/

What exactly is rack? I've read the overview page on github and I'm not really any the wiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
From the Rack homepage:

quote:

Rack provides a minimal interface between webservers supporting Ruby and Ruby frameworks.

Rack defines an interface that web servers and Ruby web application frameworks can use to pass HTTP requests and responses back and forth in a standard way. It's what allows things like Passenger to run both Rails and Sinatra applications. It also allows you to put functionality into framework-agnostic "middleware", (things like JSONP responses or cookie verification). As long as the web server and framework support Rack, they can interoperate.

If you are using Sinatra or Rails, or just about any Ruby web app framework, you are probably using Rack. (Though you may not be using the affected middlewares: Rack::File and Rack::Session::Cookie).

Novo fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 8, 2013

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002

Physical posted:

Does anyone here use carmen and carmen-rails? I am having a terrible time getting the demo app working. It looks like I cannot derive the country code from an official name, or I'm not calling it right.

How are you using it? It's pretty straight forward:

code:
>> require 'carmen'
>> country = Carmen::Country.named('United States')
>> puts country.code
=> "US"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's with the error I'm getting while trying to run this test? I was running 3.2.9 but went down to 3.2.3 like the tutorial does.

It's from the Rails Tutorial by Matt Hartl

http://ruby.railstutorial.org/chapters/filling-in-the-layout#code-user_pages_spec

code:
require 'spec_helper'

describe "UserPages" do
	subject { page }

describe "signup page" do
    before { visit signup_path }

it { should have_selector('h1',    text: 'Sign up') }
    it { should have_selector('title', text: full_title('Sign up')) }
  end

end
$ bundle exec rspec spec/requests/user_pages_spec.rb
/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rspec-core-2.9.0/lib/rspec/core/configuration.rb:746:in `load': /Users/robert/Desktop/shine/spec/requests/user_pages_spec.rb:9: syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting ')' (SyntaxError)
it { should have_selector('h1', text: 'Sign up') }
^
/Users/robert/Desktop/shine/spec/requests/user_pages_spec.rb:9: syntax error, unexpected ')', expecting '}'
it { should have_selector('h1', text: 'Sign up') }
^
/Users/robert/Desktop/shine/spec/requests/user_pages_spec.rb:10: syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting ')'
^
/Users/robert/Desktop/shine/spec/requests/user_pages_spec.rb:10: syntax error, unexpected ')', expecting '}'
^
from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rspec-core-2.9.0/lib/rspec/core/configuration.rb:746:in `load_spec_files'
from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rspec-core-2.9.0/lib/rspec/core/configuration.rb:746:in `map'
from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rspec-core-2.9.0/lib/rspec/core/configuration.rb:746:in `load_spec_files'
from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rspec-core-2.9.0/lib/rspec/core/command_line.rb:22:in `run'
from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rspec-core-2.9.0/lib/rspec/core/runner.rb:69:in `run'
from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rspec-core-2.9.0/lib/rspec/core/runner.rb:10:in `autorun'
from /usr/bin/rspec:23

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

You're using ruby 1.8; the hash syntax in that spec is from 1.9. The 1.8 equivalent would be
Ruby code:
    it { should have_selector('h1',    :text => 'Sign up') }
    it { should have_selector('title', :text => full_title('Sign up')) }

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

You should install and use a 1.9.3 though

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Civil Twilight posted:

You're using ruby 1.8; the hash syntax in that spec is from 1.9. The 1.8 equivalent would be
Ruby code:
    it { should have_selector('h1',    :text => 'Sign up') }
    it { should have_selector('title', :text => full_title('Sign up')) }
I thought I tried doing that and got a different error.

Pardot posted:

You should install and use a 1.9.3 though
This ended up working but then I was in a weird mix of 1.8/1.9 and and to reinstall all my gems and crap.

SirLoin
Mar 9, 2004

Let all your conscious go and blow it by the O

mmm11105 posted:

I'm currently working on a webapp as a sideproject that I might want to launch, and I need some advice on hosting. As a poor student, I can't afford a huge monthly hosting bill to begin, as I have no idea if this idea will take off. So ideally I'm looking for hosting that can start real cheap but scale up if need by. Project is using postgresql.

I was looking at EC2 since I'm using S3 for the storage duties, but even the small instance, with EBS to store data on would cost upwards of $50 a month, without the upfront fee for a reserved instance.

I was also looking at heroku as it seems to be well loved, have a great postgres system, and the 1 free dyno seemed nice. However their smallest real database plan is $50 a month. I know they don't recommend it, but is the $9 a month plan suitable for small scale production use?

Is there any hosting like what I'm looking for?

I'd avise taking some time to set up a VPS rather than going with cloud hosting. AWS and Heroku are great if there's a possibility for a sudden spike in traffic AND you can afford it. However, VPS hosting is way cheaper and you get a lot more bang for you buck, as far as single instances are concerned.

Check out http://serverbear.com/ for benchmarks and coupons for different hosts. I have a couple servers with http://ramnode.com that are very fast thanks to the raid10 ssd's they use, and they routinely post 30%-40% off life time coupons on their twitter account.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
The $9/month database is fine for production on a small-scale site. I'm talking <10,000 uniques/month. Just remember to clear your long-running tables (sessions, logs, etc.) to keep yourself under 10m rows.

In fact, start on the free database until you hit 10k rows. It'll work just fine.

VPS hosting is only cheaper if you consider the opportunity cost. Do you know how to run a server and deploy a Rails application already? Yeah, ok, set up a VPS and deploy to it. If you don't know how to run a server then stick to Heroku or AppFog and spend those precious few hours you have writing code or marketing your site. You can always move to a VPS in the future if cost becomes an issue.

Randomosity
Sep 21, 2003
My stalker WAS watching me...
Rails newbie here.

I've got a rough alpha of my site done and just deployed it to Heroku. My user creation form doesn't work in production though. I I don't think it's a DB issue though. My problem appears to be in assigning the parameters. When I run this code on dev, it works; from production, it's telling me my required fields are blank.

code:
def create
    @user = User.new(params[:user])
    @user.schedule = Schedule.new

respond_to do |format|
      if @user.save
I added some debug code that spits out params[:user] (all data present) but when I spit out @user, nothing has been assigned. My gemfile is specify the version of rails and ruby to use, and Heroku is obeying. Ideas? I know I could rewrite this, but the 'right' way to deal with this is figure out what's going on. Thoughts?

EDIT:
fml, forgot I disabled whitelist on dev. got it.

Randomosity fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 10, 2013

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You should keep your development and production environments as similar as possible to avoid this kind of bug hunting.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
:toot:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/rubyonrails-security/4_YvCpLzL58

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/rubyonrails-security/KtmwSbEpzrU

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/rubyonrails-security/AFBKNY7VSH8

UxP
Aug 27, 2007

If anyone that reads this thread is not subscribed to that loving mailing list, they're a loving fool. Do it.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

Must be Monday. :allears:

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
It's every week now. :ohdear:

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I'm getting super good at scanning the platform. First time it took ~2 days to get notifications out. Last time it took all day. This time we got them out in just a little over an hour from announcement. :c00lbert:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
On the bright side, these announcements keep a lot of our low-priority apps up to date. :confuoot:

Someone on hacker news also mentioned this. Might be worth checking out in the future.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Any suggestions for keeping dozens/hundreds of apps with vendored gems up to date? We're losing too many man hours and I get the feeling these security updates are going to keep coming.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007
I noticed that with some of the prior vulnerabilities Postgres apps were not affected. Can anyone explain why that is? I'm a rails and pg noob and didn't even know how to phrase the search in google to find the reason.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Sil posted:

I noticed that with some of the prior vulnerabilities Postgres apps were not affected. Can anyone explain why that is? I'm a rails and pg noob and didn't even know how to phrase the search in google to find the reason.

Some of the recent exploits are due to implicit conversions. Postgres is very strict about your data (which is an extremely good thing for a database), unlike mysql which does several (I'd argue irrisposiable, but I'm biased) conversions. http://grimoire.ca/mysql/choose-something-else is very thorough on what mysql does.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

As far as I understand, it's a combination of two things: Rails allows a user to specify the datatype that a parameter will be interpreted as while some databases (but not PostgreSQL or SQLite) do some implicit type conversions between things like string and integers.

If you look at the metasploit module, they're telling rails that the reset_password_token parameter is an integer, while in reality, it's stored as a base64 encoded string. So if you have a base64 encoded string that starts with a number, like '9vaxNzzRWcUFTtyz7ydD', and you convert it to an int, you'll get 9. Or if it starts with a letter, as it most likely does, you'll get 0. So effectively, the attacker has just to guess the numeric prefix of the reset_password_token, which isn't very hard. In fact, with over 85% probability, the attacker can guess it on her first try.

Dynamically typed frontend and a weakly typed db is a recipe for trouble. :smith:

P.S. Does anyone know if the "strict mode" in MySQL will prevent things like this?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

You should migrate to god's* one true database.

* Tom Lane

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Oh yeah. Just try executing a query like this with MySQL.

code:
SELECT * FROM some_table WHERE some_string_column = 0;
You'll get back all rows where first character of some_string_column doesn't isn't a number from 1 to 9. I'm certain that there is a huge number of Rails apps that are vulnerable to similar attacks. :sigh:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Smol posted:

Dynamically typed frontend and a weakly typed db is a recipe for trouble. :smith:

Why does weak typing exist, like, at all? It seems to do nothing but cause huge headaches, often of the security variety.

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

Pardot posted:

Some of the recent exploits are due to implicit conversions. Postgres is very strict about your data (which is an extremely good thing for a database), unlike mysql which does several (I'd argue irrisposiable, but I'm biased) conversions. http://grimoire.ca/mysql/choose-something-else is very thorough on what mysql does.

Thank you. Now I'm doubly glad I was using Postgres in dev/test/prod anyway, since I'm deploying to Heroku.

e. weak typing in general exists for programmer convenience. Which of course goes out the window when you miss errors due to dumb automagic conversion rules that you never paid attention to. See also: Javascript.

e2. actually my opinion on it is probably due to me sucking at Javascript. Here's an interesting article on typing in general http://blogs.perl.org/users/ovid/2010/08/what-to-know-before-debating-type-systems.html

Sil fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 13, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Great article. Interesting that the author basically considers the strong vs weak classification to be essentially meaningless. In a way, he's right, however I feel justified in calling a language "weakly typed", however pejorative, if it silently allows me to add an int to a string.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Can someone tell me if I'm a complete idiot? We have dozens of apps running on a proprietary CMS. Our basic workflow is clone the CMS, delete the .git folder, re-init, and proceed as if it were a new project. All these security breaches have been a major headache because it means doing the "open project, update gem, bundle update, commit, push, deploy" thing over and over, which takes a lot of time.

SO, the solution that we came up with was to move all the dependencies into an individual gem. The gem will be versioned based on the version of Rails it depends on, and then further based on any other changes to supplementary gems (ie JSON or Devise). For example, after all my mucking around today to get it working it's at version 3.2.12.8. When we clone the CMS into a new project it will just be set at the major Rails release point (ie "gem 'cms', '~> 3.2'). Next, we have a script that goes into each of our project folders and runs bundle update cms, followed by everything involved in a deploy.

Is this crazy? Does anyone have any better ideas? I can't have my team spending the amount of time we're spending trying to keep Rails apps updated as it seems pretty obvious that the next few months are going to be painfully full of updates.

Also, on a completely different note, is it possible to disable the auto sanitizing of all strings that got added midway through the 2.3.x branch? We have about 150 apps that are stuck at 2.3.5 because updating them would mean finding a million different places to type ".html_safe". In the meantime we've just been applying patches to our server version of 2.3.5 (thankfully NOT vendored into each project) but this seems unsustainable.

Thanks guys, as you can probably tell I'm losing my mind a little bit over here.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

prom candy posted:

Can someone tell me if I'm a complete idiot? We have dozens of apps running on a proprietary CMS. Our basic workflow is clone the CMS, delete the .git folder, re-init, and proceed as if it were a new project. All these security breaches have been a major headache because it means doing the "open project, update gem, bundle update, commit, push, deploy" thing over and over, which takes a lot of time.

SO, the solution that we came up with was to move all the dependencies into an individual gem. The gem will be versioned based on the version of Rails it depends on, and then further based on any other changes to supplementary gems (ie JSON or Devise). For example, after all my mucking around today to get it working it's at version 3.2.12.8. When we clone the CMS into a new project it will just be set at the major Rails release point (ie "gem 'cms', '~> 3.2'). Next, we have a script that goes into each of our project folders and runs bundle update cms, followed by everything involved in a deploy.

Is this crazy? Does anyone have any better ideas? I can't have my team spending the amount of time we're spending trying to keep Rails apps updated as it seems pretty obvious that the next few months are going to be painfully full of updates.

Also, on a completely different note, is it possible to disable the auto sanitizing of all strings that got added midway through the 2.3.x branch? We have about 150 apps that are stuck at 2.3.5 because updating them would mean finding a million different places to type ".html_safe". In the meantime we've just been applying patches to our server version of 2.3.5 (thankfully NOT vendored into each project) but this seems unsustainable.

Thanks guys, as you can probably tell I'm losing my mind a little bit over here.

That's not very crazy at all. You're basically creating your own framework and bundling it all together.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Anyone recommend a dyno/background scaler for Heroku? We are currently running the workless gem to manage our delayed_job actions. Our jobs are things like image processing, sending emails, site scrapes, etc. Workless is really fussy, and seems to die in production and spins up infinite copies of itself in development.

The only alternative I know about right now is hirefire gem / hirefireapp.com.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

So I'm generally anti auto-scalers, I've seen them cause way too many problems vs the benefits. Are you trying to go from zero to nonzero when you have jobs to work, or like 2 workers to 10 if you have a lot of stuff?

If you're mostly not doing work and don't want to have a worker on all the time, check out the scheduler add-on to run your job once an hour and then die. Or every 10 minutes.

If you always have a few workers, fiddling with auto scaling doesn't really seem worth it, just find a good steady-state number to keep it at and maybe tune down at night and back up during the day, and use scheduler to do that.

Another interesting pattern that we use for pgbackups is to use `heroku run` as our workers, and one process that runs all the time and monitors how many `heroku runs` are active pre job load. That's for a fairly high intensity workload though.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
We're going from 0 to 1 workers but on a half dozen different applications. I'm not crazy about an auto-scaler either, but the cost for leaving an idle worker up for 95% of a month just isn't worth it. Running tasks every 10 minutes is also pretty poor for users--I don't want a user to have to wait 10 minutes for their upload to be resized or for a password recovery email to be delivered.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

atastypie posted:

We're going from 0 to 1 workers but on a half dozen different applications. I'm not crazy about an auto-scaler either, but the cost for leaving an idle worker up for 95% of a month just isn't worth it. Running tasks every 10 minutes is also pretty poor for users--I don't want a user to have to wait 10 minutes for their upload to be resized or for a password recovery email to be delivered.

You can run more than one process per dyno—they'll share the same cpu and memory allocations. But for low use workers that might be a good approach. Just change your Procfile to start both.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!
http://rapgenius.com/James-somers-herokus-ugly-secret-lyrics

Well, this certainly explains all the random timeouts we've been seeing for so long.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Will be interesting to hear Heroku's side. I'm sure they're formulating a response right now, replete with shiny purple diagrams.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

For what it's worth, their COO said that a blog post is incoming.

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5217818

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

In Ruby, python, and other environments, I've tended to raise a NotImplementedError within methods that are intended to be implemented by descendant classes. Going by Stack Overflow, etc, this seems to be a common pattern, yet yesterday I happened to look at the documentation for that class and it seems like a flat-out inappropriate usage based on their description: http://www.ruby-doc.org/core-1.9.3/NotImplementedError.html

Anyone have any thoughts on this? It's really not a big deal - whatever exception is raised it gets the point across.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

While that's what the docs say, NotImplementedError is used widely to implement abstract methods, including in the standard library. A separate smalltalk-like SubclassResponsibilityError might be the ideal way to do it, but from what I've seen, NotImplementedError is already the idiomatic way to do it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Smol posted:

While that's what the docs say, NotImplementedError is used widely to implement abstract methods, including in the standard library. A separate smalltalk-like SubclassResponsibilityError might be the ideal way to do it, but from what I've seen, NotImplementedError is already the idiomatic way to do it.

Cool, thanks for the explanation. That's what I thought - I was just a bit surprised to read that page.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled

Smol posted:

For what it's worth, their COO said that a blog post is incoming.

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5217818

They responded.

quote:

Yesterday, one of our customers let us know about significant performance issues they have experienced on Heroku. They raised an important issue and I want to let our community know about it. In short, Ruby on Rails apps running on Bamboo have experienced a degradation in performance over the past 3 years as we have scaled.

We failed to explain how our product works. We failed to help our customers scale. We failed our community at large. I want to personally apologize, and commit to resolving this issue.

Our goal is to make Heroku the best platform for all developers. In this case, we did not succeed. But we will make it right. Here’s what we are working on now:

Posting an in-depth technical review tomorrow
Quickly providing more visibility into your app’s queue of web requests
Improving our documentation and website to accurately reflect our product
Giving you tools to understand and improve the performance of your apps
Working closely with our customers to develop long-term solutions

I am committing to listening to you, acting quickly to meet your needs and making sure Heroku is a platform that you trust for all of your applications. If you have additional concerns, please let me know. My email address is oren.teich@heroku.com.

Oren Teich GM, Heroku
I was expecting an overly technical, confusing, defensive explanation that wouldn't be accepted by the Rails community. This is the complete opposite and a nice surprise. Mark Twain once said, "Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more." I totally agree and it's cool to see that Heroku does too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK
So it seems like they apologized for not communicating how things work, but there's no mention whether or not their "new" routing is going to be changed. Which probably means that it won't.

Don't get me wrong, I think that their damage control at this point is actually a good thing; I'm just not sure if I want to continue using their new routing mesh.