Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Faerunner posted:

I believe you mean "out of a completely different engine that had a few parts in common"
KL-ZE instead of KL-DE. Same basic engine design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

I leave my car in the grocery store lot for 10 minutes and somebody keys it. I didn't cut any one off on the way there, I didn't take a space someone else was waiting for, my car is not particularly nice, I didn't do anything that could possibly have pissed someone else off. What the hell is wrong with people?

blk fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 11, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I'm sure you turned right around, walked in the store, and asked the manager if they had security camera footage while you were dialing the cops; right?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
That is so awful. :(

What is a funny prank to one person is $1,500 to someone else.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BoostCreep posted:

Once while walking around downtown Phoenix late at night I heard a smashing noise up ahead. Turned a corner and saw, down the road, two hoodlums (maybe 15-17 years old) going down the street and kicking the side mirrors off of every parked car in their path. They'd jump-kick one after the other after the other. They'd hit about a dozen cars that I could see, for absolutely no reason other than to be little shits.

I called the cops and told them exactly what was happening, but the kids noticed me on my phone and pretty quickly took off between some buildings so I don't know if they were caught. I wasn't able to stay around to see but I kind of wish I could have.

Little shits.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

BoostCreep posted:

That is so awful. :(

That really sucks. It's also why I don't like having nice things. Especially things that other people can get at because some people are assbags that ruin things for everyone else.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Devyl posted:

I'm sure you turned right around, walked in the store, and asked the manager if they had security camera footage while you were dialing the cops; right?

Did ask for the footage (there was none), did not call the cops. My city is terribly under-policed. My fiancée's wedding jewelry was stolen two weeks ago; we have the guy on video but the police told us they don't have the time to investigate. Someone was stabbed in my neighborhood a month ago, the perp was released four days later because we can't afford jail beds.

blk fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 9, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Devyl posted:

I doubt the parking lot cameras would have a clear enough image to prove anything, assuming you knew the identity of the vandal. If it's just "guy who keys car and then walks out of frame/gets in car and drives off (and the license plate of which is unreadable)" there wouldn't be enough evidence for the police to even do a cursory investigation.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If it was a big chain grocery store they probably have very good cameras. I worked at albertsons like 15 years ago and getting the license plate of a car in our own lot was not a big deal. We could even read the movie times at the theater that was almost 1/2 mile away.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's a bunch of remarkably unfunny cartoons about BMWs.

http://www.autoneuroticfixation.com/2013/01/typisch-bmw-fahrer-cartoons.html

I mean I don't want to jump immedietly to any national stereotypes, but really?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sagebrush posted:

Little shits.
I never understand the glassy-eyed, not-sure-if-he's-joking look people get when I say I don't really have a probelem with someone shooting the little fuckers. Every now and then someone decides to be self-righteous and ask "Are you really saying you value your property more than their lives?", then go and get upset when you look them dead in the eye and say "Yep".

Throatwarbler posted:

No, you probably shouldn't automa.... Oh, wait, it's the Germans, to hell with it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm not sure if you were being ironic or not, so I'll risk outing myself as a contemptible racist by saying I laughed.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Throatwarbler posted:

Hey now, don't you dare insult the time-honored German tradition of making fun of BMW drivers!

Seriously though, that cartoonist isn't very funny and keeps recycling the same 5 or so jokes. The terrible translation doesn't help, though.
The way I see it, the only reason he still produces these cartoons is because they get published in what is arguably the worst car magazine in Germany (and also ironically the best-selling one).

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

InitialDave posted:

I never understand the glassy-eyed, not-sure-if-he's-joking look people get when I say I don't really have a probelem with someone shooting the little fuckers. Every now and then someone decides to be self-righteous and ask "Are you really saying you value your property more than their lives?", then go and get upset when you look them dead in the eye and say "Yep".

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

So tempted.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I've got to take my cell phone out of my pocket while driving. Today's episode of Memphis terrible stuff (without pics :()

* A Cadillac CTS coupe with a padded vinyl roof and 20" spinners and curb feelers
* A first gen Honda Wagovan that was dropped so low that made horrible crunching noises and sparks over every expansion joint on the freeway
* A Fierorrai F40

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

* A first gen Honda Wagovan that was dropped so low that made horrible crunching noises and sparks over every expansion joint on the freeway
Ugh. Why are they ruining these now? Is every other Civic used up? :cry:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Goober Peas posted:

I've got to take my cell phone out of my pocket while driving. Today's episode of Memphis terrible stuff (without pics :()

* A Cadillac CTS coupe with a padded vinyl roof and 20" spinners and curb feelers
* A Fierorrai F40

It's like car bingo in Memphis. Turn your head, spot an automotive abortion. Last night on the way to work, I spotted a fabled pickup truck (red dodge ram) with a tailgate mural that included the truck. I swear I've seen it on the internet before, so someone has to have taken a picture of it and posted it somewhere. I was turning left and she was turning right, didn't have time to dig the camera out of the center compartment, but it was a glorious sight to see. It was an awful mural too, like something you'd expect from a 4th grade art student.

I've got some stuff on my phone I need to copy over and post. Memphis is a strange city.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Goober Peas posted:

There was a Toyota Corolla sedan in my apartment complex with a full vinyl roof. I was going to take a pic, but the owner was coming.

"Excuse me, sir, but may I take a picture of your car so that I can post it on the internet and ridicule you?"

"No? Well, then I'll just pick up my teeth and go about my business."

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Mister Kingdom posted:

There was a Toyota Corolla sedan in my apartment complex with a full vinyl roof. I was going to take a pic, but the owner was coming.

"Excuse me, sir, but may I take a picture of your car so that I can post it on the internet and ridicule you?"

I guess you could always say that you admired it so much that you wanted to share it on the internet along with other super awesome cars just like it. :v:

The funny thing is that I think deep down a lot of these people know that their car is terrible so they would get mad and hurt you anyway.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Throatwarbler posted:

The best irony is the background image on the site.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

over/under on this guy hunting mallards?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

V6, even, judging by the sound.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Saw this gem the other day. Excuse the focus on the one pic, I was fumbling to get a pic as fast as I could. Every panel was a different color of bondo or cheap spray paint. He also had an awesome black plastic bag taped over his driver side window that was totally opaque. It had some sick enkei ripoff wheels and huge fart can. I almost miss seeing shitboxes like this 24/7 - all I ever see nowadays are huge rear end trucks.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I actually appreciate well-maintained shitboxes. Up in Idaho you'd see a lot of lovely, horrible paint-and-rust cars with fresh tires and good glass in them because it is the type of region where people know how to take care of their cars well, but can't afford luxuries like paint jobs or dent removal. It's almost cute sometimes. Black plastic over a window hole is a no-no, though.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

bidikyoopi posted:

over/under on this guy hunting mallards?

Im going for dick hunter

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geirskogul posted:

I actually appreciate well-maintained shitboxes. Up in Idaho you'd see a lot of lovely, horrible paint-and-rust cars with fresh tires and good glass in them because it is the type of region where people know how to take care of their cars well, but can't afford luxuries like paint jobs or dent removal. It's almost cute sometimes. Black plastic over a window hole is a no-no, though.

That pretty much describes most of the cars I see on the road here. 10-15 years old, rusty arches etc., but usually with nice-looking wheels and good tires.

I see a worse version pretty often as well. Late-80s to mid 90s Toyotas with plenty of wheel arch rust running 17"-18" wheels with good tires. I mean, for the price of those wheels, at least some of that rust could have been fixed.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I saw this classy Nissan in Vietnam, veneer wrap around the fuel filler cap, door handles and on the mirrors as well which can't be seen in the pictures.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The nissan isn't the most interesting thing in that pic. Is there a person sitting backwards on the motorcycle in front of you? I see an exhaust pipe, but the arm is bent towards the camera. And, if that's the case, why is the shoe pointed away?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
The arms of the person in front were bent backwards because he held on to a bar behind him, his foot is on a passenger foot rest, there were two people on the bike. You can also see the leg of the person riding the bike standing on the ground.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mister Kingdom posted:

In an Australian car mag a reader was bemoaning the death of vinyl roofs on cars. He then showed photos of a vinyl roof that was put on his Monaro (the new one, not the 70s ones. Same as the GTO). It looked God awful yet the reader thought it was brilliant.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My colleague snapped this the other day.

Must be a Swedish or Canadian immigrant...

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

InitialDave posted:

No, you probably shouldn't automa.... Oh, wait, it's the Germans, to hell with it.

Holy poo poo you're a psychopath. Yeah, I love my stupid car too, but Jesus Christ.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Holy poo poo you're a psychopath. Yeah, I love my stupid car too, but Jesus Christ.

Seriously. The last time I saw someone posting like that was the psycho who killed his neighbors over his pumpkins.

Get help, Dave.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

Nocheez posted:

Seriously. The last time I saw someone posting like that was the psycho who killed his neighbors over his pumpkins.
:stare: Is there a SAclopedia entry about this?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Physical posted:

:stare: Is there a SAclopedia entry about this?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1854

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

also

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1675

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

I disagree. I hate people causing damage to other peoples property for nothing but shits and giggles. It'd nice to see a deterrent rather than a warning or perhaps an asbo.

Saying that, I once chased down and caught our paperboy one night after he repeatedly tried to pull the three pointed star from the bonnet of our car. Speaking to him enough was enough for it not to happen again.

Terrible car stuff

The L plate makes it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it makes you feel any better, when a neighbour's lovely kids did vandalise a car I cared about, I settled for them being evicted. I am not an idiot. However, being sensible enough not to take the law into my own hands doesn't mean I'm going to shed any tears if people who do that sort of thing have a run in with someone who will.

I'm actually a fairly nice, calm guy, I just don't particularly give a poo poo if people's decisions to act like assholes cause them to suffer a sudden and blunt object lesson in actions having consequences. Come home to find a bunch of kids using your car as a trampoline and kicking in the panels because they think it's funny and they know they are more or less untouchable, and I guarantee your viewpoint will take a sudden nosedive away from anything that could be called "bleeding heart".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

http://jalopnik.com/ten-car-mods-that-make-people-think-you-re-an-rear end in a top hat-123108858

Yeah, it's Jalopnik, but I think it's relevant to this thread.