Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Why it is that some people can get higher stable frequencies out of their Ivy Bridge than others? What are the variables?

I have my 3570k @ 4.2 via the multiplier @ stock voltage, but 4.3 is unstable and locks up the whole system and/or blue screens. However, others have mentioned getting to 4.3 or 4.5 even and say it's "stable".

Should I increase the core voltage to get to 4.5? and if so, how much? Will this be stable under air cooling with a Hyper212+ (non-evo)?

I don't know what my load temps are right now (I used to at one point) but it idles between 30-40c. I think Load wasn't more than 50c or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

El Grillo posted:

Holy crap, in the UK I'm looking at £100 for refurbished Panaflos. Is that normal???

e: so it seems all retail suppliers of Panaflo fans in the UK are out of business or don't stock them anymore.
I take it there're no other fan maker's who've done anything similar to Panaflo's 'Hydrowave bearing' design?
Scythe's Gentle Typhoon (Nidec Servo) line are fairly close to Panoflos.

If you can locate any San Ace/Sanyo Denki/Nidec Beta (basically anything made by Nidec)/or NMB-MAT fans in the UK they would also work well. Most of these run really nicely on fan controllers. Avoid Deltas.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Why it is that some people can get higher stable frequencies out of their Ivy Bridge than others? What are the variables?
Depends mainly on the CPU. What motherboard are you using? What is your current CPU voltage setting?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CPU-z reports anywhere from around 1-1.2v volts or so. I have a Z77A-GD55 MSI board.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

GreenBuckanneer posted:

CPU-z reports anywhere from around 1-1.2v volts or so. I have a Z77A-GD55 MSI board.
As long as you stay below "safe" Ivybridge limits for voltage and temperatures look ok, feel free to push up the overclock. It may be that your board just isn't capable of higher overclocks, although it has a fairly-robust vrm section so it should be fine for higher clocks. You might need to play with your BIOS settings, or you might've just gotten unlucky with the chip.

Your only other recourse is to violate your warranty and replace the internal TIM with better stuff, although 4.2ghz+ is still plenty fast for anything current, other than video encoding or maybe Planetside2.

MSI Afterburner chat: :words:

So I was trying to add the new Catalyst 13.2 beta drivers (for Crysis3 performance improvements), and I ran into an issue with unlocking voltage/clock limits with MSI Afterburner. The old method to bypass overclocking limits no longer works, however if you want to go beyond the "approved" settings, the new way is much easier, and it works for both AMD and Nvidia:

1. Install MSI Afterburner.
2. Run afterburner at least once (and reboot if needed).
3. Modify the Afterburner shortcut so it has /xcl on the command line.
4. Run that shortcut, and it will tell you it's increased your overclock range and ask to reboot.
5. Reboot.
6. Remove /xcl from the Afterburner shortcut.
7. Now you can enable upper limits for clockspeeds in Afterburner with the latest Catalyst drivers, without having to deal with flickering windows (if you're still seeing these on an AMD card, you may need to disable ULPS via regedit - Nvidia users won't need to do this). Powerplay remains active with this method, so you won't lose power-saving.

Most people probably already figured this out, but I figured I'd try to save someone else the trouble of doing this the old/hard way.

The /xcl tweak convinces Afterburner to broaden the range of "approved" clocks rather than bypassing the BIOS clock ranges, and it apparently tells the CCC to allow the higher limits as well (I don't use the CCC so I can't test it). Please note that you can fry your card with extreme clock increases, so don't go overboard, and only use either the CCC or Afterburner to overclock, not both.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 8, 2013

m3monster
Jan 3, 2009
I just want to take a moment and thank you great and mighty OP :golfclap: . Based off your information I got a 3570k and CM Hyper Evo. Because of your great info I was able to Get my CPU up to 4.4G@ +.035v and it is running at a max of 64c with an ambient temperature of 71F I just wanted to thank you for this great thread.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Is GPUTool a decent tool to test my GPU overclock? I know when I pushed my GPU hilariously high it made my system BSOD..So I'm sure it must be doing SOMETHING. I know playing games is a good indicator as well and obviously I'll do this too, but is GPUTool a good tool for general testing?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Guni posted:

Is GPUTool a decent tool to test my GPU overclock? I know when I pushed my GPU hilariously high it made my system BSOD..So I'm sure it must be doing SOMETHING. I know playing games is a good indicator as well and obviously I'll do this too, but is GPUTool a good tool for general testing?
No, it's over 3 years old, unmaintained, and not very useful for testing. It's basically a rip-off of FurMark, which is good for stressing your power supply and cooling, but doesn't stress a GPU overclock much because the card is throttled to keep it below the TDP cap. I found that after a point overclocking the card just didn't change the actual clockspeeds in FurMark.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Thinking about re-seating my heatsink to see if I can get better temperatures. Not a lot, I'm sure it's not done badly, but I'm hoping for a few degrees cooler. In particular, is it unusual to have a variance of 4 to 7 degrees between cores on an i7 while under load? All the cores even out at idle.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

SocketSeven posted:

is it unusual to have a variance of 4 to 7 degrees between cores on an i7 while under load? All the cores even out at idle.

Completely normal.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Then it is way to much :effort: to re-seat that copper monstrosity. I guess it works though, Intel burn test and prime95 show it stable at 4.4ghz, with a maximum temp of 75c.

There are a lot of apps that can disable Turbo mode on the i7, but I can't find one that looks at CPU temperature and disables it when it gets above a certain temperature for a period of time. You'd think thermal control would be the obvious application of a feature that forces clock speeds down to stock.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

SocketSeven posted:

Then it is way to much :effort: to re-seat that copper monstrosity. I guess it works though, Intel burn test and prime95 show it stable at 4.4ghz, with a maximum temp of 75c.

There are a lot of apps that can disable Turbo mode on the i7, but I can't find one that looks at CPU temperature and disables it when it gets above a certain temperature for a period of time. You'd think thermal control would be the obvious application of a feature that forces clock speeds down to stock.
If it's at stock clocks it'll likely stay below 70C for the most part, so I wouldn't worry about it.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
I'm not at stock clocks. Nothing but test programs push it over 72, so I'm not that worried. It'd be nice to have a program that would notice "Oh hey the processor has been at 75c for 20 minutes, Let me disable turbo mode and drop the clock from 4.4Ghz to 3.5Ghz" (or whatever applies to your processor).

It would be nice to have the control is all. Thermal protection is all automated.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
By default the processor does that, but once you start overclocking the motherboard reconfigures it to ignore current and temperature limits. Otherwise you'd be in a situation where it only ran at 4.4GHz sometimes and it'd generally stick close to the factory multiplier. If you wanted to get really into it you can mess with the settings in the bios (At least on this Asus motherboard) but there's like 6 of them and I wouldn't know where to start to get it working well.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

SocketSeven posted:

It would be nice to have the control is all. Thermal protection is all automated.
As stated, you probably have user-configurable thermal limits that you can set in BIOS.

On the other hand, as long as voltage is in check and the CPU's not hitting 80C regularly, it's not really worth worrying about. A couple extra C won't make any difference in the CPU's longevity over the long term.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Hey guys! Been studying this thread for a while and I've finally made some headway into an OC that I'm happy with. Well, almost.

I got this set-up to survive in Linpack for a solid hour with a max temperature of 63 using only air cooling.

I'm pretty drat happy with this, except for one thing. That loving vcore.

I've tried to trim it as much as loving possible but it's simply unstable below this number. I'm definitely NOT going to run it like this 24/7 and got some power settings up that will keep things nice and low when I'm not using it.

Any thoughts? Or am I hitting a wall.

NB is at 2400.

Edit: I dropped it down to 3.6 @ 1.4 vcore and I feel a lot better about it. I could probably downvolt it further but I just got done with an hour long Linpack to make sure it's in a good spot and I think I've had enough tests and crashes for one night. I can't justify the massive spike in power demand just to squeeze that much more out of my CPU.

Trilin fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 13, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I have an i5-3570k and a GTX660 and run 1080p in games. Will an overclock on the i5 show much of a difference in frame rates in games like farcry or is it more for cpuz cred at 1080p resolutions? Dont do anything with this other than xbmc/wmc and games.

Its on an H77 board right now so I would need to spend ~$30-50 to replace it with a z77.

Is there any site that shows what kind of performance increase to expect in games from a cpu overclock.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
[H]ardOCP occasionally benchmarks the same chip at varying levels of overclock, and AnandTech will include some performance comparisons between OC and stock clocks during reviews of the relevant parts. But I'll save you the trouble: You're GPU bound. Right now, it's only hardcore sims like Civilization 5 and poorly-made indies like Dwarf Fortress that see day-to-day differences with an overclocked CPU. In 2-3 years, maybe overclocking the i5 will show results in bread-and-butter titles. There are plenty of non-gaming tasks that an overclocked CPU will benefit you in, but you aren't doing any of them.

Bottom line: You'll get more mileage out of overclocking the GPU, which you don't need any new parts to do.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Not sure where else to ask, and this thread seems like the best even though my stuff is a little old.

I'm running a q8300 2.5 OC'ed at 3Ghz on an Asus p5q-vm. It seems to be running stable, but I noticed HW monitor, as well as speedfan and gamebooster, show that my MB temp is 109c idle or loaded. Am I getting a misread off the sensor?

HW monitor shows min is 109c default with max 218c. That just doesn't sound kosher to me. Should I be worried? I will double check, but I think it showed that temp when I was not OC'ed as well. I just didn't start paying attention until today as Planetside 2 would start out running awesome, and then slowley turn to a slide show over the course of 30 to 40 minutes. It never crashes though. And my system runs prime95 loads with no error.

My core temp is 43 idle, and 54c with load.

Basically at this point I am trying to find out if PS2 just hates my computer or I am OC'ed too high.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
It sounds like it's just reading a disconnected sensor, if RealTemp says your temperatures are fine.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
PS2 does indeed hate computers. Double check with HWiNFO64 instead of HWMonitor. It's also not uncommon for monitoring software to assume that junk data is a real temperature or voltage if the monitoring chip isn't actually reporting a particular value, so take insane temperatures and voltages with a grain of salt.

You might also want to run a few passes of Memtest86+ to check for RAM errors.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Ahh Realtemp gives me different numbers for cpu. It shows 36 29 33 38 max38

Not sure what one is the real temp though. Or is that on a per core basis?

Memtest comes up clean :D I would push my cpu harder but I have stock cooling. And based on research this is the highest I should try on stock.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
If you did memtest that quickly, you didn't do a full test. Let it complete at least two full passes.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
No I did not memtest right when you said. I had already ran a memtest after the initial overclock. I just let it run while I was asleep, and it came back good. So my statement should read "I had already ran a full memtest prior to posting"

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Trilin posted:

Edit: I dropped it down to 3.6 @ 1.4 vcore and I feel a lot better about it. I could probably downvolt it further but I just got done with an hour long Linpack to make sure it's in a good spot and I think I've had enough tests and crashes for one night. I can't justify the massive spike in power demand just to squeeze that much more out of my CPU.
200mhz isn't worth 1.48V, so it's better to leave it.

Regarding overclocking an i5/i7, it won't make a difference currently other than specific applications (PS2, MWO, or video encoding), but it'll probably extend the useful life of your CPU considerably. I ran a Q6600 at 3.6ghz all the way through to Sandybridge, and it only started to feel slow by the very end. Might as well get a couple more years out of it if possible.

Kilazar, what's your current FSB speed and motherboard voltages? What's your RAM model and current clocks/timings/voltages? What CPU cooler are you using, as it's possible that it's throttling due to heat (although unlikely), and you can check temperatures with HWiNFO.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 14, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Kilazar posted:

No I did not memtest right when you said. I had already ran a memtest after the initial overclock. I just let it run while I was asleep, and it came back good. So my statement should read "I had already ran a full memtest prior to posting"

Ah, okay. I was concerned about a stick going bad, but if you tested since the problem began, then it's not that.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Information as follows

Proc - Q8300 2.5Ghz, clocked at 3Ghz 1.2 volts Stock cooling.
Mobo - Asus P5Q-VM
Mem - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027P9C9G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 BIOS is set to auto for the mem timings/management. If I have the voltage modified (I cannot remember at the moment cause I have made so many changes) the voltage would be at 1.8

FSB is set to 400.

AI clock twister turned to moderate.

I'm not trying to push this system over the edge. So I have changed as little as possible to achieve my goals. Plus I don't know enough about OC to go hog wild yet. On top of that in the core 2 OC thread I read at http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1198647 hardly any of the options talked about were present in my bios. Or if they were, I could not set them the way the article said. For example the PCI E Freq says to set at 100. My board won't let me do that, I have to set it to 103. Each time I change it to 100 it modifies it back.

Anyhow, my system is pretty stable, and the case temp is being picked up properly as of last night. It shows 35C. Under load with prime95 for 6 hours my temps are all ok. CPU 51c load/42c idle, case 38c load/ 31-33c idle. So I think my OC is actually stable and PS2 is just being retarded. But I would love more recommendations on tweaking my bios for more efficient OC if anyone can help with my specific mobo.

Not going to spend money on cooling, as I am trying to save for a new PC and would like to not dump anymore on this one.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 14, 2013

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Is there any applications I could download similar to ATI Tray Tools, but for Nvidia cards?

Or more to the point, Is there any way I can increase my Maximum Pre-rendered Frames beyond the 4 that the NVIDIA Control Panel gives?

I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this. :ohdear:

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Ugh I woke up to my computer with a blank desktop. Thought it BSOD'd overnight.

Windows Update. :argh:

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Imapanda posted:

Is there any applications I could download similar to ATI Tray Tools, but for Nvidia cards?

Or more to the point, Is there any way I can increase my Maximum Pre-rendered Frames beyond the 4 that the NVIDIA Control Panel gives?
There's not really a comprehensive tweaking application for videocards now that resembles ATT. The closest combination would be MSI Afterburner combined with the Nvidia control panel.

If the feature you're talking about is quad-buffering, there's no way to increase that as far as I know. Your only option is the Nvidia control panel.

Kilazar posted:

Information as follows

Proc - Q8300 2.5Ghz, clocked at 3Ghz 1.2 volts Stock cooling.
Mobo - Asus P5Q-VM
Mem - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027P9C9G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 BIOS is set to auto for the mem timings/management. If I have the voltage modified (I cannot remember at the moment cause I have made so many changes) the voltage would be at 1.8

FSB is set to 400.

AI clock twister turned to moderate.
Set your RAM timings manually to 5-5-5-18, and set RAM voltage to just over 1.8V (but below 1.9V).

The reason I asked about motherboard voltages is because a 400mhz FSB might need a voltage boost on the northbridge. There's not really anything you can do about the FSB since the CPU multiplier is so low, and pushing beyond 400mhz FSB is not advisable for stability.

You're limited in CPU vcore due to cooling, so you can't really go any higher there, although I'd suggest pushing vcore beyond 1.2V if possible given temperatures.

I don't know what AI clock twister is.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 14, 2013

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
So.. will increasing Vcore give me more Ghz?

Yeah it's a noob question, but I thought the only thing that increases the actual clocks was the FSB and or cpu multiplier?

If that is the case, how does more vcore help the system perform better?

AI clock twister is an Asus thing, I think it does on the fly memory timing changes. Settings from Off to aggressive. Could be totally wrong though.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 14, 2013

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Vcore makes your CPU more stable at higher Ghz, but causes more heat and more wear on your CPU. You can set it as high as you want(Don't do this), temperatures willing, but just keep in mind that you cut the life of your chip with each increase.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Ah ok, so if I am running stable, I do not need to add anymore vcore. Gotcha. At this point I think PS2 just hates my pc. All other games run just fine. PS2 is the only one that degrades over time. Maybe there is a mem leak in SOE's code.

Anyhow, thanks for the help!

Oh and on :curseyouwindowsupdates: I totally did the same thing this morning. Came in to the log in screen and thought I had to go back to the drawing board. Thankfully I remembered that I set updates to auto and last night was Wed, not Tuesday.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
If you have a 32 bit OS, PS2 HATES that. Might be the cause of your issues.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Nah win 7 ultimate x64 :D

*edit*

Thanks to realtemp, I think I found my issue. Looks like while PS2 is runing, core 2 and core 4 will gradually work up to 65C. The other two cores will hit about 54C. I am going to start lowering my vcore to see if I can curb some of this heat without losing stability.

Just thought the people that helped might want to know. For my reference, what temp should I be shooting for as a max temp while under load and running stable? 54C?

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 15, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Seeing that sexy looking new closed loop thing from Swiftech (H220) has me thinking about looking at water cooling for the first time in years, since it seems like you get the performance of a custom solution, the ability to open it up if one were to say acquire a 780 with waterblock down the road, and how the pump(!) and fans have PWM for noise control.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Kilazar posted:

Nah win 7 ultimate x64 :D

*edit*

Thanks to realtemp, I think I found my issue. Looks like while PS2 is runing, core 2 and core 4 will gradually work up to 65C. The other two cores will hit about 54C. I am going to start lowering my vcore to see if I can curb some of this heat without losing stability.

Just thought the people that helped might want to know. For my reference, what temp should I be shooting for as a max temp while under load and running stable? 54C?

For a Q8300, you're actually good up to 73.3 C Tcase (the heatspreader temperature). As long as no cores are bumping up to that, you shouldn't be getting heat-related problems.

Therefore, I'd call the issue a stability-related one. Overclocking without increasing voltages only has a very limited headroom for most chips, and passing Prime95 and IntelBurnTest is a good but not perfect test for stability. The only real test is if you can run everything you run without it crashing. Most people learn this lesson from GPU overclocking, where burn testing apps are rarer, but it applies just as much to CPU overclocking.

Bump the Vcore or clock down a bit, either way will help the stability issue. You're not constrained by heat right now (except insofar as it kicks your cooling to uncomfortable noise levels), so whichever appeals more.

Dogen posted:

Seeing that sexy looking new closed loop thing from Swiftech (H220) has me thinking about looking at water cooling for the first time in years, since it seems like you get the performance of a custom solution, the ability to open it up if one were to say acquire a 780 with waterblock down the road, and how the pump(!) and fans have PWM for noise control.

I know, right? Between that and the Accelero Hybrid for GPUs, I am sorely tempted to dump money I can't afford into an upgrade. The one thing I'm not satisfied with on my system is the noise levels of overclocked CF 6850s.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Dogen posted:

I've also been looking at the Corsair H110, their newest and highest-performing water cooler. I'm still not sure if any of the dual-fan water coolers can beat air at the same noise level, I have to think that if they could there would be a comparison showing that somewhere. I know the Swiftech H220 can beat high-end air, but it is a giant triple-fan setup.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Alereon posted:

I've also been looking at the Corsair H110, their newest and highest-performing water cooler. I'm still not sure if any of the dual-fan water coolers can beat air at the same noise level, I have to think that if they could there would be a comparison showing that somewhere. I know the Swiftech H220 can beat high-end air, but it is a giant triple-fan setup.

You want a liquid cooler competitive with air on everything but cost, look at the NZXT Kraken X60. It's a 280mm radiator, and that's big enough to let its "silent" fan setting perform at the noise floor, yet match the performance of the Swiftech H220 running at full tilt. Of course, your case has to support a 280mm radiator, which is significantly rarer than 240mm support.

If you're going to run them all-out, though, the H110 performs as well as the X60 but is slightly quieter.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Factory Factory posted:

You want a liquid cooler competitive with air on everything but cost, look at the NZXT Kraken X60. It's a 280mm radiator, and that's big enough to let its "silent" fan setting perform at the noise floor, yet match the performance of the Swiftech H220 running at full tilt. Of course, your case has to support a 280mm radiator, which is significantly rarer than 240mm support.

If you're going to run them all-out, though, the H110 performs as well as the X60 but is slightly quieter.
I was looking at the Kraken X60 in the Anandtech review, but I think it would be too loud. HardwareSecrets found that when set to silent mode it was roughly equivalent in noise to a 140mm air cooler with a 1500rpm fan, and I wouldn't be able to live with something faster than 1200rpm or so (and I'm aiming for two fans at 1000rpm or less in my next cooler).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I don't read Hardware Secrets much, but I'm kinda surprised that the noise graph on that page lists the Intel stock cooler at 41 dB, the third-best? And that's running at 2000 RPM with a 97 C CPU temperature.

That really raises my eyebrow, because I know from experience that once you hit 80 C, an Intel stock cooler on relatively stock behavior will ramp to 5000 RPM and sound like something between a vacuum cleaner and amusing duck.