Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'm not someone who is bothered by movesets being similar between some characters since I only play a small handful of them more than long enough to unlock their stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Enallyniv posted:

When you say the movesets are similar, do you mean "the movesets have taken a step back in variance from previous games" or "the movesets are kinda similar because there's just so many goddamn characters now"? I can't help but feel the latter was an inevitability.

Movesets are (mostly) based on weapons, not individual characters. Any character can use any weapon (except for great swords, which are male-only, and whips, which are female-only), and any given weapon type has the same movesets. Characters do have unique special attacks with specific kinds of weapons, as well as unique Musou attacks, but for the most part your choice of character has little bearing on your moveset.

That said, you can change your equipped weapons at any time, and you can switch between the two you have equipped to produce special attacks and combos, so the actual number of fighting styles is pretty large. It's a system that sounds iffy on paper but works very well in execution.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Maleketh posted:

Movesets are (mostly) based on weapons, not individual characters. Any character can use any weapon (except for great swords, which are male-only, and whips, which are female-only), and any given weapon type has the same movesets. Characters do have unique special attacks with specific kinds of weapons, as well as unique Musou attacks, but for the most part your choice of character has little bearing on your moveset.

That said, you can change your equipped weapons at any time, and you can switch between the two you have equipped to produce special attacks and combos, so the actual number of fighting styles is pretty large. It's a system that sounds iffy on paper but works very well in execution.
The musou attacks always use "their" weapon, which in my view completely defeats the purpose of the any character, any weapon ideal they were going for.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Unless you're playing as Huang Gai, who's so drat manly his Musou attacks don't involve a weapon at all.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Oh man, this franchise. :allears: I used to play it so much in my old PS2 (mostly Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors 5, I think it was). Did they ever release a version with customizable characters? (As in, you could create your own characters)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Azran posted:

Oh man, this franchise. :allears: I used to play it so much in my old PS2 (mostly Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors 5, I think it was). Did they ever release a version with customizable characters? (As in, you could create your own characters)
Yeah, plenty of them, but all that usually means is you can dress up a generic character model however you want, and then give them one of the main character's weapons and animations. It isn't very interesting really.

Now if you could mix and match all the different square and triangle attacks independently, THAT would be something.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Azran posted:

That's what the Empires games do.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The first Samurai Warriors had it, too. Don't know why they took it out, though.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Schubalts posted:

The first Samurai Warriors had it, too. Don't know why they took it out, though.

Samurai Warriors 3 can do it as well.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Maleketh posted:

Unless you're playing as Huang Gai, who's so drat manly his Musou attacks don't involve a weapon at all.
Quoting WO3 here: "You dare to defy the beauty of my muscular perfection?"

Although in DW8 his Musou attacks do involve his weapon... for example, vertical suplexing a guy who the iron boat then falls on, or finishing his Awakening attack by dropkicking his boat at enemies.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Schubalts posted:

:raise: Really? I kind of remember being able to raise my own sub-officer, who would accompany my main dude through the game, but nothing else. (Or was that a Dynasty Warriors? It's been a while)

Azran fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 11, 2013

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The GIG posted:

In all honesty I would really love to see one of the spin off games use the Bladestorm style just to break things up.

Also because I want another game like Bladestorm.

Seeing this post got me to re-download the 360 demo (PS3 one is gone for some reason) and give it another shot. I didn't quite get the mechanics the first time but now that I do, I really want to pick up a copy. Are there any big differences performance wise between 360 & PS3?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Warriors Orochi 3 has the best reward for beating the game with all allies.

You can turn all mook soldiers on a custom battlefield into Lu Bu. No running there!

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Augh, my musou skills are slooowly coming back to me, but has anybody got any tips for keeping big combos up on enemy officers in DW7? I know about the Bow on horseback trick (stay close and spam strong attack), but is there a less "cheap" way? The highest I can usually get is 10-12 before getting all turned around or pushing the officer too far away. I've had the most luck with Zhang Fei and his musou attack as a finisher, but...eh. I don't like playing as him.

I know it comes down to "learn the weapons," and I'm getting there thanks to constantly switching for seals, but any tips would be nice.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Use a halberd and do the 5light-strong or 4light-strong combo immediately after swapping to it. That gives you a 40+ combo with no real effort at all. Granted, it's a bit less useful on any character that isn't Lu Bu (until you get the halberd mastery seal, anyway), and halberds are one of the harder to find weapons in the game, but still.

As for Zhang Fei, he can pretty reliably combo his 4light-strong combo (lots of spinning, lots of hits) into itself at least once, so long as you start it close to the enemy.

3 star weapon mastery also helps a ton for any of the larger/strength-based weapons, since it adds the wind effect on every swing, which adds combo numbers as well as range.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 11, 2013

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Static Rook posted:

Augh, my musou skills are slooowly coming back to me, but has anybody got any tips for keeping big combos up on enemy officers in DW7? I know about the Bow on horseback trick (stay close and spam strong attack), but is there a less "cheap" way? The highest I can usually get is 10-12 before getting all turned around or pushing the officer too far away. I've had the most luck with Zhang Fei and his musou attack as a finisher, but...eh. I don't like playing as him.

I know it comes down to "learn the weapons," and I'm getting there thanks to constantly switching for seals, but any tips would be nice.

Try not to touch the movement stick at all. Your character has a slight "auto-aim" when it comes to attacking officers so they will usually turn to face the officer if they are moving slightly right or left during your combo. If you're also trying to turn your character manually while they're turning automatically then you can over-correct. Also try stringing combos together with a jump slash or two. Jump slashes often knock enemies higher into the air allowing you to get in a higher combo.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

Static Rook posted:

Pretty much is learn the weapons - some weapons are just bad at ridiculous combos. Most weapons have S+T attacks is something you can chain for a permanent juggle, and maybe elsewhere too - SSSS+T is the twin sword's permanent juggle move.

The bow is easy to combo with- I call this 'musuo archery' in the best way to get high combos(and do really good damage), is to get up close and hit them point blank so they get hit by all the arrows you shoot. Ever since they introduced it in 6, it's counter-intuitive as heck, since you figure bows=range. Also adds the problem since it stops you still, which I just don't like, but understand given it's destructive power.

Take into account EX attacks+Musuo too. Liu Bei with Twin Swords has a pretty easy and damaging guaranteed 20+ hit combo with his SSST+Ex+Musuo(make sure you you hit it before they fly too far).

Of course, some characters have it stupidly easy. Zhang Jiao's second musuo(Starfall I've called it after the WoW Moonkin ability) is 40+ hits for hitting one button and utterly destroys whole camps of officers at once.

Am I the only one who hates the combo padding for better rewards system? I kept judging weapons/characters in 7 for their grinding ability rather than their effectiveness at killing things, which meant otherwise good moves that only hit once were significantly crappier because it would take longer to get this guy up to speed. Also, it's just plain old having to juggle a guy to 24/32 hits(forgot which) for the umpteenth time.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Well I believe they took it out of DW8 in favor of going back to levelling characters.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Am I the only one who hates the combo padding for better rewards system? I kept judging weapons/characters in 7 for their grinding ability rather than their effectiveness at killing things, which meant otherwise good moves that only hit once were significantly crappier because it would take longer to get this guy up to speed. Also, it's just plain old having to juggle a guy to 24/32 hits(forgot which) for the umpteenth time.

I like the combo system and it's been around since the very first game. The trick is knowing which guys to combo and which guys not to. In the old games every guy could drop +8 items so it was advantageous to always go for the long strings but in 7 each guy has a set drop and you can only increase it once. So if a normal general has a set drop of +1 attack then you should only do an 8 hit combo (super easy) on him to rank it up to +2. Any more combos after that will be wasted. Once you've played through a stage once or twice you should know which guys drop the +4s so you know you have to combo them 24 times. Some guys even drop base +8 so you don't need to worry. Also you can't rank up health drops so you don't have to bother with them either.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Azran posted:

:raise: Really? I kind of remember being able to raise my own sub-officer, who would accompany my main dude through the game, but nothing else. (Or was that a Dynasty Warriors? It's been a while)

Character creation was a full game mode, even. You made your guy or gal, then ran through a full training school to determine their stats. The better you did in each course, the higher that course's stat would increase. There were events, hidden events, main character cameos (Magoichi challenging you to a duel if your Ranged skill was high enough, rewarding you with a rifle instead of a bow for that character), and it ended with you taking a trial to join a specific clan (clans each had different requirements, too, and the trials were harder versions of training courses).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Just completed Legend Mode in Ken's Rage 2, still angry after all this time over how awful the Asura arc is. Did they just make it up as they went along? None of it makes any sense and it's all so incredibly contrived while trying to shamelessly one-up the original half of Hokuto no Ken. drat it, this still pisses me off after all this time! The beginning is cool! The end is cool! It's just the gaping middle that is Asura is just so loving bad! If we ever get a Ken's Rage 3, could we just cut it off after Ken vs. Raoh and replace HnK 2 / the second half of the manga with Souten no Ken instead?

And before I forget, who the gently caress was Bolge supposed to be again?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Fanservice for the same kind of people angry Tom Bombadil didn't make it into Peter Jackson's LotR trilogy?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Just completed Legend Mode in Ken's Rage 2, still angry after all this time over how awful the Asura arc is. Did they just make it up as they went along? None of it makes any sense and it's all so incredibly contrived while trying to shamelessly one-up the original half of Hokuto no Ken. drat it, this still pisses me off after all this time! The beginning is cool! The end is cool! It's just the gaping middle that is Asura is just so loving bad! If we ever get a Ken's Rage 3, could we just cut it off after Ken vs. Raoh and replace HnK 2 / the second half of the manga with Souten no Ken instead?

Actually I think part one (ending with the death of Shin) is a completely self-contained story and has basically everything the HnK series actually needs. Everything beyond that is just stretching things out just because they can.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Everything beyond that is just stretching things out just because they can.
Isn't that how Dragonball Z happened?

But yeah, basically as soon as the Hokuto no Ken 2 inclusion was revealed, there was no way Koei was going to be able to salvage that, though their fault only stems as far as including it, the original manga is in fact that bad... and to think I actually somehow got through the manga version thereof years ago!

Grimdaddy
Dec 1, 2003

The question isn't indiscreet. But the answer could be.

Policenaut posted:

My sympathies, and I have no idea about Bolge.

I mentioned that I was a big HnK fan earlier. I was also kindly warned off from reading series 2 long, long ago by a good friend. And I never did, I quit after Kenshiro ends things with Raoh, as it seemed the perfect stopping point. And then all these years later, this game comes out, and I think "ah, what could it hurt to see where it goes after all this time".

It hurt my brain.

As you said, it seems like an attempt to one-up everything in the original. But even worse, while doing that they ruin a lot of the original identity of the series that made it so cool in the first place. It was never well written, but it was far more original than most manga/anime/game stories of the time. No destined one who will save the world, no secret royalty, no creepy relations with people you raised since they were children - it was perfect anti-cliche for its time. Ken and Rin were just orphans who made it past the end of the world, Ken just became the successor because Toki got nuked, it was all so different than the usual.

Holy poo poo did HnK 2 ruin all of that. Rin was not noble and brave despite her horrible past, shes royalty! Ken, Raoh and Toki were not awesome orphan kids who trained to become great, it was all in their blood the whole time! And then there is the whole creepy Ken/Rin thing (ugh), and I just cannot bother to keep bitching about the whole mess. Its like someone who had no idea what was awesome about HnK 1 wrote the second series. An old familiar story these days, I guess. I was just really surprised at how far from the mark it fell. I really must thank that old friend when I get the chance, it really was awful and he spared me a lot of years wondering what the hell happened.

Really like the game still, if only for the first half, but wow that story is terrible. At least I still have Dream mode.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

The Ken's Rage games were actually my first exposure to HnK beyond the occasional pop culture reference, and my assessment is pretty much the same as those of the folks here: The Raoh arc was pretty good, but everything after is pretty terrible. All the contrivances, not to mention the gaping plot holes, made slogging through Legend mode even worse than it had to be.

Dream Mode is far more fun (despite every stage being largely similar), but it does strike me as a terrible waste of potential. Dream Mode in the original Ken's Rage was interesting: a series of hypothetical scenarios that allowed characters who never met canonically to beat the poo poo out of each other. In Ken's Rage 2 it's just a bunch of prequel stories. Running around with Jagi, being a dumb bastard and insinuating that Amiba was gay, was pretty much the greatest thing in the original. And now it's gone. :sigh:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So just started playing Pirate Warriors, just cleared Sanji's event and yeah this is pretty much a prototype game. I'm a tad incredulous that Franky and Chopper would both start talking trash about the Gomu Gomu fruit powers right after he finished kicking rear end in Thriller Bark with it. Oh well, Luffy plays fairly well so far and I liked the tutorial fight even if they failed to explain why the Pacifistas were even there.

Maleketh posted:

Dream Mode is far more fun (despite every stage being largely similar), but it does strike me as a terrible waste of potential. Dream Mode in the original Ken's Rage was interesting: a series of hypothetical scenarios that allowed characters who never met canonically to beat the poo poo out of each other. In Ken's Rage 2 it's just a bunch of prequel stories. Running around with Jagi, being a dumb bastard and insinuating that Amiba was gay, was pretty much the greatest thing in the original. And now it's gone. :sigh:

Oh WHAT THE gently caress!? They got rid of Amiba and Jagi's Excellent Adventure?! loving Koei!

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
To its credit HnK2 did give us one awesome thing.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Re: Fist-This is where I'm going to be an outlier and say I did not mind the Shura arc. I didn't love it or anything, and indeed it was pretty deeply flawed, but it had it's moments I felt. I guess I really didn't see the huge deal about it. I liked the guys like Hyo, Kaioh, Shachi, and the like(I liked those three a whole lot actually). I mean, it was a case of this series being so well liked it's first arc that the publishers demanded two more years of it. I think the guys tried to do what they could with it. I mean I imagine they had worked it all out nice and neat for the first one-then 'Hey, extend this, thanks.' Maybe I'm just more tolerant of story stuff but I(and I personally know some others) who weren't actually angry over it or anything. And keep in mind-this is coming from someone whom Series 1 is their favorite manga of all time.

Though I will be fair and say I don't actually know anyone who *prefers* it. This is awhile ago, so I don't know if Hara/Buronson were contractually obligated or not, or if they could have said no(or if saying no would have cost them dearly.) Part of me almost wonders if because the first part was popular and they were leaned on to do a second. I guess I never got really mad over it since I've seen situations of publishers demanding something go on longer go much, much worse. (And yeah-DBZ if I recall something similar happen-Toriyama wanted to end it, the publishers saw that it was printing money.)

Wanted to add I'd love a Souten no Ken version for KR3 though. That actually turned out well, though it was a prequel so they had more wiggle room there.

Azaael fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 12, 2013

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
@Shura: I'm another one who didn't mind it too much, mostly because I had a relatively low opinion of what came before. Stuff like the Hokuto brothers being badass because of nature rather than nurture had been touched upon as early as the Golan arc, nonsensical plot developments had been a staple of the series from the beginning ('Yuria's dead oh no wait she isn't' is the most famous, but hardly the first), and whilst Ken/Rin was creepy, the text at least seemed to acknowledge that it was creepy and would lead nowhere good, which is a lot more than I can say for the rest of the series's treatment of women (see also, everything about Mamiya).

In return, we got a pleasingly uncomplicated punchfest where Kenshiro was pushed to his limits (something that happens frustratingly infrequently in the story) in a series of spectacular battles, with the one against Han being a particular standout. That, and the 'oh, the villain was a good guy after all' stuff didn't get too grating compared to what had come before - 'X ridiculously powerful martial art drives you murderously insane' is a lot better than the stuff with Juda and Thouzer.

I'll agree that there was a decline in quality in the epilogue chapters that followed Shura, as Ken ran out of opponents who could give him a meaningful fight and the series's quasi-fascist elements rose uncomfortably close to the surface (see also, the rebellion against the totally-not-Jewish capitalist who had sapped the mighty soldiers of their warrior spirit), but at least that was a relatively short segment of the story.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I hope that the game at least wasn't worse about these than the original manga?

Xingcai and Liu Shan are here!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Xingcai gets a cleavage window :sigh:

Still better than her DW6 costume.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wish they'd release this stuff on PC.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I wish they'd release this stuff on PC.

They do! Just not in English anymore. :smith:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Xingcai gets a cleavage window :sigh:

Still better than her DW6 costume.

It's not like she has a hole in her shirt. It's a short cloak with pauldrons over her top. Without the cloak, it's just a relatively low-cut top. I mean, we're not looking at Powergirl (or Lian Shi, for that matter), here.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Holy poo poo who decided to put all this QTE platforming in Pirate Warriors? I sure as gently caress don't remember Luffy doing so much flying around in the manga.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
One of my friends who plays Leauge of Legends pointed out to me that they just added borderline copyright infridgement skins for 2 of their characters.

Dynasty Warriors SA Thread: we report, you decide:

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Might be hard to take to court if you can't show them taking most of an exact costume from one of the games instead of just some recognizable features. Not sure how harmful the skins really are either. But yeah, it's hard for any DW fan to not see Zhao Yun and Lu Bu there.

Edit: After a quick looksee, the skins are more an amalgamation of Zhao Yun and Lu Bu over the years than a direct ripoff of any given costume.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 13, 2013

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I know they've had a Bowser skin on one of their characters since forever ago, I think if anyone was gonna sue it'd be Nintendo so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Oh also apparently the edit mode demo for DW7: Empires came out today with almost no announcement at all. Here is the release in its entirety:

Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires Edit Mode Demo

Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires Edit Mode Demo. Create your own officer in this Edit Mode Demo.
ESRB: T // File Size: 1.4 GB

Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/12/playstation-store-update-278/

If I remember from the Japanese demo, you can import these characters to the full game.