Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
That will do it, a brand new bike can be pretty hard to kick over. He's going to change the oil before he rides it again right?

Speaking of... my 250sx-f has gotten pretty easy to kick over, and pretty hard to start. I was looking at ordering a new piston. The Vertex aftermarket piston says it goes in an 2006-2012, but the CR went from 12.8:1 to 13.2:1 in 2011. It could be that the piston didn't change, but I'd rather not inadvertently lower the compression. I guess Vertex should know though, TT says they make the OEM piston too.

Zool fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Well he has an idiot friend, basically.

Those are high compression 'no real thought given to being use friendly all thought given to going fast' style engines. I've never ridden one of the new FI Yamaha 450's but the older ones are pretty easy to kick over and get going and both my Yammi 250's are a dream.

Probably just not broken in yet, could be nobody knows the finesse to start that particular bike. Each bike has a kick that's right for it. Usually, firm and steady all the way through. Not just KICKICKICKICKICKICK *wheeze*

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Spiffness posted:

Probably just not broken in yet, could be nobody knows the finesse to start that particular bike. Each bike has a kick that's right for it. Usually, firm and steady all the way through. Not just KICKICKICKICKICKICK *wheeze*

It's this. I try to give it a good even kick when its right at TDC but surely I haven't figured out what it likes. I don't really intend to either - the bike is too much for me and I'd be really sad if I was the first guy to cartwheel it down a hill.

The DT is like half a dainty little kick and it's popping and sputtering and ready to rock. Makes it easy when I'm exhausted from climbing a trail and stall it in the mud. I love that little shitheap.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Zool posted:

That will do it, a brand new bike can be pretty hard to kick over. He's going to change the oil before he rides it again right?

Speaking of... my 250sx-f has gotten pretty easy to kick over, and pretty hard to start. I was looking at ordering a new piston. The Vertex aftermarket piston says it goes in an 2006-2012, but the CR went from 12.8:1 to 13.2:1 in 2011. It could be that the piston didn't change, but I'd rather not inadvertently lower the compression. I guess Vertex should know though, TT says they make the OEM piston too.

Have you checked your valve clearness lately? I'd take a look at them if you're going to change the piston. What year sx-f? I've been using CP pistons in the last 2 KTM's I rebuilt and really liked them.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Never had an FI 4T dirtbike but the trick in general for the 450 I had was to never ever touch the gas when you start it. The two stroke pump and kick thing just floods at 4T it seems. I'd think the FI models are a bit better than that but maybe not.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

clutchpuck posted:

It's this. I try to give it a good even kick when its right at TDC but surely I haven't figured out what it likes. I don't really intend to either - the bike is too much for me and I'd be really sad if I was the first guy to cartwheel it down a hill.

The DT is like half a dainty little kick and it's popping and sputtering and ready to rock. Makes it easy when I'm exhausted from climbing a trail and stall it in the mud. I love that little shitheap.

Are there no hills where you guys ride? poo poo I used to stop on hills even on my KX250 just because it's easier to leave it in 2nd and roll down a hill to bump start it rather than kick it.

That said, the guys an idiot for starting on a 450 if he can't even manage to kick it over. You really should convince him to sell it before he kills himself or absolutely destroys it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Met a guy once at the MX track, young guy, YZ450F, bran new, no gear but a helmet. Let him borrow some extra gear I had for the day, tried to get him to take it slow, collected my gear off the paramedic before they took him away to get his leg back together.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

My first time on the MX track was on my KX250 and it was boring as poo poo honestly. I didn't have the skills yet to use any of that power (especially on a 250 2 stroke).

After trying that I never questioned again why kids were buying 250f's and not 125's anymore. 4 strokes can be so much less to worry about on the track as long they're not overpowering you and ripping your arms out of the sockets.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

JP Money posted:

Are there no hills where you guys ride? poo poo I used to stop on hills even on my KX250 just because it's easier to leave it in 2nd and roll down a hill to bump start it rather than kick it.

Not sure what you mean but yeah it's all hills all the time.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

Not sure what you mean but yeah it's all hills all the time.

Bumpstarting a bike? As in clutch in while in 2nd or higher, get rolling down a hill and let the clutch out. The bike starts without you having to get off the seat / kick it for 4 hours.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
My yz450 was a complete royal bitch to start until a got a handful of hours on it. I am no stranger to kicking big bikes to life either. A good chunk of the time I kick started my 625 for fun when I still had it. The YZ now generally fires in a few kicks.

And yeah, it's entirely too much bike for basically any situation. Doubly so for a new rider.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

velocross posted:

Have you checked your valve clearness lately? I'd take a look at them if you're going to change the piston. What year sx-f? I've been using CP pistons in the last 2 KTM's I rebuilt and really liked them.

Yeah, I did an adjustment first. It's a 2011. Bad info on the OEM piston, it's an Elko.

Right after I figured Vertex probably know what they're talking about and ordered the stock replacement piston, someone responded on thumpertalk to confirm that I need to order the high compression piston.

Zool fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 5, 2013

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I got suckered into competing in the JDay winter triple crown. Mostly because this year it has snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKz8wAg-X3w

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

JP Money posted:

Bumpstarting a bike? As in clutch in while in 2nd or higher, get rolling down a hill and let the clutch out. The bike starts without you having to get off the seat / kick it for 4 hours.

Got it. No, getting far enough up a hill for that would probably be a hurdle :(

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

18" of snow is dropping on the site of my race on sunday. Woop!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I almost forgot about the Desert 100 coming up in April. The wife would not forgive me if we forgot that; we intend to run the enduros in the 50 mile vintage class this year. We're both completely terrible at riding, it should be fun - my goal is... to finish. Any advice for a first-timer?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Skip the poker run if you're worried about finishing the race already. Let the pack go and give yourself lots of room.

I'll be there with the gang this year. Intend to do the poker run and take it nice and easy during the race, just to finish. Not much hope of me winning the 450 class.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

I almost forgot about the Desert 100 coming up in April. The wife would not forgive me if we forgot that; we intend to run the enduros in the 50 mile vintage class this year. We're both completely terrible at riding, it should be fun - my goal is... to finish. Any advice for a first-timer?

What are you riding?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
As long as they still start, go and stop - we're running the XL175 and DT175.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I did it a few years back - it's pretty rough terrain. I think you'd want bikes with at least relatively modern suspension travel. I did 50 miles and was like welp that was fine but didn't feel the need to do the full 100 and I had been doing a lot of DOONZ riding.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I do want a bike with modern components, that's for sure. But you run what you brung.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I'd encourage you to do some desert riding to get in shape for it.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Track preview for Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geHwG_H97mo

I'm lovin' it. JDay looks like such a cakewalk compared to nasty rear end NETRA championship events. Of course, this kind of race encourages balls to the walls speed, instead of survival so it's entirely different. Can't wait. They just said they plowed the track for the 3rd time. 12 more inches of snow fall to go!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

You're a crazy son of a bitch haha. I hope your hand guards and rad braces are up to that kind of challenge, I foresee a poo poo ton of falling in your future. That looks like so much fun though!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

VTNewb posted:

Track preview for Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geHwG_H97mo

I'm lovin' it. JDay looks like such a cakewalk compared to nasty rear end NETRA championship events. Of course, this kind of race encourages balls to the walls speed, instead of survival so it's entirely different. Can't wait. They just said they plowed the track for the 3rd time. 12 more inches of snow fall to go!

That will either be an ice rink or a mud pit, either way it will be awesome. Try to keep track of how many times you crash.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

That will either be an ice rink or a mud pit, either way it will be awesome. Try to keep track of how many times you crash.

It's going to be pretty odd for me. 30 minute motos instead of two hour marathons! I'm hoping for great things though, I was in the top 5 of about 90 people on a much tougher NETRA course for the first 40 minutes.

EDIT:

Incidentally, when they posted the race results from NETRA I got 5th in my class :v: . Looks like I should have stayed around for trophies. NETRA is filled with really talented people, so I have this awful ability to drive away from a trophy (albiet not a good one...) because I feel disappointed.

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 9, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

clutchpuck posted:

I do want a bike with modern components, that's for sure. But you run what you brung.

I can sell you a '01 YZ 125 for 1k. :) I did the poker run on it last year, no problems. Brand new top end, changed the oil every ride, guaranteed to start first kick every time.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

What
I want

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
VTNewb, you're hauling, especially for that terrain! I look forward to your video...

Zool's YZ is good bike.

Clutchpuck, I think you'd have a better time on the poker run; it's the same experience, just dialed back a bit. You ride 35 of the 50 race miles with less kids ROOSTING :rice: You still get a t shirt, and it's $30 vs $50. And you can start whenever, rather than wait around an hour for the race to start.

690 at the D100 last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0WG1L-v4_c&t=22s

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

n8r posted:

What
I want

The third sentence is a lie, but it runs and rides well. PM me if you want to come take a look at it. (Everett)
Best picture of it I could find.(In front of the truck)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Zool posted:

I can sell you a '01 YZ 125 for 1k. :) I did the poker run on it last year, no problems. Brand new top end, changed the oil every ride, guaranteed to start first kick every time.

Goddamnit I show up and you start selling bikes.

Keep the RS around so I can buy it from you in the future ;)

I rode that YZ for 2 days out at Tahuya, it was a blast.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Zool posted:

Goddamnit, I'd buy that thing if you were closer than WA. :mad:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

They postponed the race due to 3 feet of snow. :argh:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Had another great day at Walker yesterday. Took the antiques up Tooler which took some time - the big roots are too tall and the old bikes too heavy to get over easily but the wife and I had a hi-five when we made it up the switchbacks. It's pretty cool, every time we go out we're getting tangibly better - a trail that we would have turned around on a couple weeks ago, we'll huff and puff through now.

I think I need to work on my cardio.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Tooler is a fun trail, way better up than down. Take that, to the pit, down the fire road, Kurts Conundrum to that single track I don't know if it has a name down to the tahuyaCaughvignah or w/e river trail, then jam trail back down to base, then up the 4x4 trail all the way back to the mid parking pit. Thats a good loop to get the day started and have some food.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 11, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Spiffness posted:

Tooler is a fun trail, way better up than down.

In general, I think up is more fun than down.

We did Jam out of the lot, bypassed the gate at the bottom of the fire road via a tiny bit of Muddled Meanderings across the road, and hit Tooler. Then we got lost up on Bear Creek Mainline and found the boundary gate on Lake Cavanaugh road. On the way back we got a nice view of the sunny/foggy valley on BR-23 and took the EZ Connector and Jam back to the lot for lunch.

After that I found a pit and got more comfortable hitting berms and putting both wheels in the air.

I found myself correcting for loss of traction or unexpected wheels-in-the-air on a more instinctual basis, rather than panic inputs. Concentrating on weighting the outside peg around turns. Getting smoother and faster every time. Going to outgrow the DT.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

dwon to the tahuya river,

There's a Tahuya river trail at Walker? That's confusing.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

There's a Tahuya river trail at Walker? That's confusing.

Whoops. W/e it is I know I'm faster on it than you are.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Someone should really take Edward Abbey "Monkey Wrench Gang" style vigilante action against quads. They seem to consistently do stupid stuff, like ride them off the trail and into ravines from which they need to be extracted, or crash on the mini-MX track and have all their idiot quad friends park in the landing area of a jump so they can collect everyone else on the track into a giant stupid pile of broken bones and equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Holeshot! Good racing today.