Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Oh god, that penguin camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Oh my god, this nature programme on BBC1 just now is so loving surreal. Filming penguins at the South Pole with a camera hidden inside a platic robotic penguin. All the Emperor penguins are waddling along behind the thing as it whirrs across the ice, watching it in quiet bemusement.

I love penguins, and sincerely believe they should be prescribed on the NHS as a cure for depression, but this does seem a bit...weird. It'll just confuse the poor little buggers, 'specially if they try to mate with it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Fully expecting this Black Mirror to end with a crazy Ashbot trying to kill Martha :stare:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Rarity posted:

Fully expecting this Black Mirror to end with a crazy Ashbot trying to kill Martha :stare:

It's ever so sinister, isn't it? Like an updated version of the old monkeys' paw tale.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Oh gently caress she just ordered a real doll to house her dead boyfriend in. This will end well.

wutheringbites
Nov 3, 2008
Nothing like an awkward silence with the replica of your dead husband.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Well, this certainly has Fabulous Idea written all over it

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Oh no poor Tix :(

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
So apparently Robert Downey Jr bought the rights to make a movie based on The Entire History of You from the last series of Black Mirror.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Well, that was creepy and sad, not the best episode of Black Mirror though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

Or something somehow even worse :smith:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Was an interesting one though. Wondering what could be assembled from the scraps of your online presence, if it would be true to you or not. (At least Ash was a decent guy in his updates, what would happen if your husbands' online persona was trollish and violent, what would he come back as...)

It was a very...Roald Dahl sort of episode, if anyone else has ever read or watched his Tales of the Unexpected.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Jesus Christ, Black Mirror's ending is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. There's just something so disturbing about the idea of having this grotesque, inhuman facsimile of your father in the attic for eternity, never ageing, just standing perfectly still in the corner when you're not there... Really good, possibly my favourite episode of it so far.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Irisi posted:

Was an interesting one though. Wondering what could be assembled from the scraps of your online presence, if it would be true to you or not. (At least Ash was a decent guy in his updates, what would happen if your husbands' online persona was trollish and violent, what would he come back as...)

What if their e-mail account had been hijacked by spammers?

Out from the robo box pops Mr Matazumbu, King of Nigeria ready to tell you about an exciting investment opportunity

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003
The first half of that was horendous. Mostly because somewhere out there someone will have though "that's a good idea, and it can be done"

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006

toochilled posted:

The first half of that was horendous. Mostly because somewhere out there someone will have though "that's a good idea, and it can be done"
When your heart stops beating, you'll keep tweeting.

Tonally, that episode very much reminded me of the film Never Let Me Go, which Domhnall Gleeson was also in.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
It was good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

No. I refuse to believe this is not a Black Mirror tie-in.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Those penguins were just so :3:
Rockhoppers tirelessly climbing cliffs, the humboldts having to run gauntlets and the emperors just sledging along.

Edit:

Yeah was expecting a bit more from Black Mirror like maybe with access to all the personal emails the realdollhusband starts acting weird(er) and she learns that her husband had been cheating or something.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That would have been a little similar to the memory one from last year.

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006

Rarity posted:

No. I refuse to believe this is not a Black Mirror tie-in.

According to the Whois information, it's run by Lean Mean Fighting Machine, a digital marketing agency.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

That would have been a little similar to the memory one from last year.

Yeah it does, hmm, maybe the readollhusband becoming more and then leaving the grieving wife or something. V:shobon:V

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

gently caress Black Mirror, Is Tix ok!?

I was glad we saw more of her this week but not with it ending like that :(

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Brown Moses posted:

Really? i thought it was better than the "hey everyone look how corrupting reality tv is, yeah!?" episode last time. At least this episode was a little less bleak (by black mirror standards) and was pretty consistent. Great story, good acting, next weeks better be strong its going to be hard to top that one.

Mellomeh posted:

When your heart stops beating, you'll keep tweeting.

Tonally, that episode very much reminded me of the film Never Let Me Go, which Domhnall Gleeson was also in.

whats next 3d print your loved ones out of cloned flesh?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

poo poo yes. When is S3 of Mid Morning Matters meant to come out, anyway? And what happened to the Christmas special?

Zaburino
Jul 22, 2006

7seven7 posted:

So apparently Robert Downey Jr bought the rights to make a movie based on The Entire History of You from the last series of Black Mirror.

This...may turn out good. That one was my favorite episode of the first season, if only for Toby Kebbell.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

toochilled posted:

If they did that with my online presence it would be nothing but a spew of profanity and cat pictures.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Hey, it's Captain America's love interest on Black Mirror. Cool!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Oh god that penguin program was the best happy making program I've seen so far this year. Penguins!

Black Mirror- really enjoyed it, I knew that the Bee-Gees and the cliffs conversation would figure towards the end so I was feeling quite smug about calling the ending. Until the actual creepy 'robo-dad in the loft' ending. Which was far worse.

I loved the tech in the program, especially her amazing drawing board. Speaking of which, she must make fierce money drawing dogs in hats to be able to afford to buy a robo-sex doll avatar of her dead boyfriend. I guess she might have re-mortgaged that ridiculously large house. At one point I did wonder if the Ash-bot was going to get repossessed.

Also, nice to see Dan Ashcroft's sister in something again.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I thought I recognised her.

Did anyone watch Mad Fat yet or did you all do Black Mirror first?

Howards Bellend
Aug 25, 2007

I like how the advert break during Black Mirror is all for super modern touch screen phones, spinning around to noisy techno soundtracks.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

thehustler posted:

I thought I recognised her.

Did anyone watch Mad Fat yet or did you all do Black Mirror first?

I'm half-way through watching it now!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The problem with last nights Black Mirror is had the genders of the two main characters been reversed we probably would have seen a very different version of events. No wonder she didn't get remarried, all the men of the world were probably off banging synthetic replicants of their favourite celebrity.

MrHat
Jun 18, 2005

Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
I really enjoyed Black Mirror but I couldn't help feel that last time someone made an A.I. out of a persons social media she was cuter:

I did take some pleasure that while there's all these lovely phones and gadgets in the not distant future, they still smash if they get dropped from 4 foot of the ground.

MrHat fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 12, 2013

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
I would pay good money for a robot based on the tweetings of @KimKierkegaard

I enjoyed Black Mirror but I was a little disappointed in how signposted some of it was.
1. The flesh breakthrough report
2. His incessant use of social media that she didn't like very much. (Telling us he put an unusual amount of stuff online)
3. The Bee Gees bit where she all but accused him of lying.
4. The picture of himself that he gave the back story to, but Roboash just had the single word "funny"

When Roboash was asking questions about how she felt, I kept wondering if she had opted in to the customer improvement programme and her responses were being analysed by the manufacturer so it could be improved. That aspect of it felt quite sinister to me, that this machine had been built to emulate someone who was dead and the manufacturer probably knew that people were getting overly emotionally attached to them, but in order to sidestep the ethical issues they probably marketed it as a sort of "living history" machine.
That lead me to thinking about what happens to the robots after their "administrators" have died too - you could have a sort of interactive museum (or maybe even an art installation) with either famous emuluations or just ordinary people who can talk about their lives.

Lastly, I wonder if her relationship with Roboash was typical of everyone who used the service - starting off by talking to it about Ash in the past tense as she put her thoughts in order, then total dependence, then realising that it's just a mere emulation and letting go, then begrudgingly keeping it around as a piece of high tech memorabilia.

Also I really expected when roboash said she could hear him speak he would ask her to enter her credit card details.

tongster
Jan 18, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I thought last night's Black Mirror lacked a little of the punchy insight of season one, and Charlie wrote himself into a corner with roboash.

That said, it's still the best goddamn thing on television, and I'm over the moon for its return.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Those penguins live in a 16 bit platformer.

Might be a great idea for a phone/tablet game.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Padje posted:

Those penguins live in a 16 bit platformer.

Might be a great idea for a phone/tablet game.

I've been tinkering with something like that, actually. Pretty much an Ecco the Dolphin clone.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

DaWolfey posted:

4. The picture of himself that he gave the back story to, but Roboash just had the single word "funny"

The way I understood that moment was that when Ash shared that picture at the start, he only wanted people online to see it because they would think it was a funny picture of him, but then he explained the backstory to Martha; kind of reflecting how he showed one aspect of himself online but was obviously a different person in reality, which is part of why the robo-version couldn't emulate him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I don't have a detailed critique other than to say I thought that episode of Black Mirror was thoroughly well done.