Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

shop posted:

So I'm moving back to Canada from the states (Calgary to be specific) and I will have my iPhone 4 unlocked by AT&T prior to leaving. What carrier should I look at for the best contract considering I'll be bringing my own phone?

Virgin or Koodo. I'd lean towards Virgin since their plans are almost identical and you get 10% off your plan for a customer-owned non subsidy device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shop
Nov 16, 2005

Godinster posted:

Virgin or Koodo. I'd lean towards Virgin since their plans are almost identical and you get 10% off your plan for a customer-owned non subsidy device.

Right on, thanks for the reply.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I recently broke my bell contract to go to virgin (I know they are the same company). Part of the reason was the 10% own phone discount made the difference between breaking even with the termination fee and saving money. I looked at Koodo but it looks like their pay per use data now caps out at 500MB where Virgin's still goes up to 3GB and that's a huge difference.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Dang, 10% off a plan if you jump over with Virgin with your own phone? That's pretty sweet.

Their $60 plan is pretty awesome too since it offers up unlimited talk but sadly only 1GB of data. For the type of user that I am data is more important than voice. Hopefully down the road they'll come out with some data heavy plans that compete with my current 6GB plan and still have that 10% promo going. Not worrying about cancellation fees because I'm not on a contract is pretty sweet. :)

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

terriyaki posted:

Dang, 10% off a plan if you jump over with Virgin with your own phone? That's pretty sweet.

Bell too, I believe. I'm a lowly Samsung field rep who doens't keep up on plans but I'm almost certain I read that somewhere.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
When I talked with bell retentions I tried to get the 10% own handset discount, but they were having none of it. Told me I'd need to break my contract and sign up again as a new activation which really defeats the point because Bell's plans are garbage compared to virgins.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Yes, Bell offers the 10% off deal. If you're an existing customer it's still possible to get it, but your contract must be completely finished.

EDIT: You must have a minimum of a $50 voice and data plan in order to get it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a Samsung Galaxy nexus purchased through rogers. Rogers is letting me out of my contract because they don't offer service in my work area.

Can I use this phone with Bell or Telus ? Both offer service north of fort nelson.

Also considering Koodo. How is their speeds versus the big two ? All 3 companies use Telus towers in northern BC, but I'm concerned about throttling for bell and koodo.

Forgot to mention I need a big data plan. I'm stuck up at a Suncor camp for 2 weeks at a time for the next couple months.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 5, 2013

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

jonathan posted:

koodo.

big data plan

lol. You're not getting jack poo poo for data unless you go with Telus. Telus has the best footprint and speed so there's your choice.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nitr0 posted:

lol. You're not getting jack poo poo for data unless you go with Telus. Telus has the best footprint and speed so there's your choice.

Cool thanks. Any idea about my phones compatibility with their data network ?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Should be fine as long as it's not locked.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Nitr0 posted:

Koodo is a Telus brand. They use the same equipment and have the same coverage. The only thing that differs is the kind of plans.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Thanks captain obvious. You're here to save the day again.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Nitr0 posted:

Thanks captain obvious. You're here to save the day again.

You're welcome. You seemed to be having a little bit of trouble figuring it out in your posts.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a friend who does sales for telus , perhaps he can hook me up with a special promo. Currently I have 6gb on my rogers plan, Telus doesn't seem to offer that currently according to the London drugs kiosk. I'd like to have them at least match my plan since they don't even have to give me a phone.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
6GB plans are always limited time offers -- you'll have a hard time to get any company to match it when it's not available. Your only choice is to wait until one of them offers it again.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Since no one actually answered your question:

Yes your phone is unlocked. It'll work on any carrier in Canada, regionals included.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I got Telus to give me 10% off since I'm using my own phone, and $5 off for combined billing with my Optik TV/internet.

5gb data, voicemail call waiting call display and unlimited nationwide calling for $85 all in + tax.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Also my little signal meter has an "H" beside it. Is that Telus' quickest data ? LTE or whatever HSPA

Don Corneo
Nov 5, 2004
Hohi Hohi
In case anyone was looking to get a Nexus 4 they are showing as in stock on google play. Maybe this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I was shocked to see it.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

jonathan posted:

So I got Telus to give me 10% off since I'm using my own phone, and $5 off for combined billing with my Optik TV/internet.

5gb data, voicemail call waiting call display and unlimited nationwide calling for $85 all in + tax.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Also my little signal meter has an "H" beside it. Is that Telus' quickest data ? LTE or whatever HSPA

H is HSPA. LTE would be faster, what phone do you have?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

less than three posted:

H is HSPA. LTE would be faster, what phone do you have?

Galaxy Nexus purchased from Rogers last Feb.

I suppose that's the fastest this phone will support. I know when I was going to get it there was also the Galaxy S3 with LTE but I went Nexus because these phones are RAD.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

jonathan posted:

Galaxy Nexus purchased from Rogers last Feb.

I suppose that's the fastest this phone will support. I know when I was going to get it there was also the Galaxy S3 with LTE but I went Nexus because these phones are RAD.

Yeah, I don't think the Nexus has LTE. I never really use LTE on my S3 anyway.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I can't imagine a phone without LTE now. I don't even switch to wifi at home anymore despite having 50mb/s cable internet.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Nexus 4 finally arrived. Is the anywhere in Canada that currently sells cases? Future Shop, Best Buy, and The Source all had nothing in store or online. Amazon.ca had some, but only through resellers and it would take a couple weeks to get here, so that's a last resort.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Alright, so I guess Eastlink is pulling a Blackberry and finally launching their long announced/frequently delayed cell service. I may update the OP once I get more information for the benefit of goons from Atlantic Canada. I'm sure both of you are highly interested. :allears: Not much is known right now, but what my boss was able to gather:

- No contracts. Not sure yet if it will be a tab system or the system that American Walmart uses that I don't remember and won't bother to explain.

- Will apparently have 2 plans: $20 and $30. No word yet on data/add ons.

- No iPhones. Will support Android and Blackberry.

- Will have towers in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, not sure how widespread they are. Will use Rogers towers (not roaming) everywhere else. Good luck Newfoundland.

- Will presumably be able to bundle to Eastlink home service bills.

Will Eastlink help usher in a new era of competition and improved rate plans? Or will their launch likely be full of glitches and have such poor coverage and handset selection that the Big 3 will pretty much ignore whatever threat they pose? I'm sure you know.

In other news, MobileSyrup is reporting that Telus is lowering the price of their iPhone 5 (and probably 4S). The Bell store I work at just got a MASSIVE shipment of iPhones today, indicating that the Big 3 is probably doing this soon.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

OilSlick posted:

In other news, MobileSyrup is reporting that Telus is lowering the price of their iPhone 5 (and probably 4S). The Bell store I work at just got a MASSIVE shipment of iPhones today, indicating that the Big 3 is probably doing this soon.

I think that was just refurbs

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have Eastlink for an internet ISP in western Canada (they bought my small town ISP) and they're actually pretty good and I don't dread ever calling them, so good luck to them. I'm sure it'll crash and burn and in 6 months we'll all laugh so welp.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Godinster posted:

I think that was just refurbs

Hmm... I wonder why we got sent so many. They didn't appear to be refurbs, as we've never carried them. We'll see I guess

Edit: confirmed the iPhone 4s is going back to 0 again tomorrow

OilSlick fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 12, 2013

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I tried replacing the battery in my iPhone 4 last night, but I ended up yanking out a solder pad when I tried detaching the old battery. As such, it's finally time to upgrade. 2 1/2 years isn't too bad.

My contract is up in August with Rogers. What things do I have to say to get the best deal possible when I upgrade to an iPhone 5?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I tried replacing the battery in my iPhone 4 last night, but I ended up yanking out a solder pad when I tried detaching the old battery. As such, it's finally time to upgrade. 2 1/2 years isn't too bad.

My contract is up in August with Rogers. What things do I have to say to get the best deal possible when I upgrade to an iPhone 5?

Just phone them now and tell them you are leaving and willing to pay the ETF because you found a better deal with carrier X. They'll put you onto retentions and give you a nice package with the iPhone re-up.

That's exactly how it played out with my girlfriend recently moving to a 4S.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Just phone them now and tell them you are leaving and willing to pay the ETF because you found a better deal with carrier X. They'll put you onto retentions and give you a nice package with the iPhone re-up.

That's exactly how it played out with my girlfriend recently moving to a 4S.

That was pretty much going to be my plan by the time I got around to calling again this evening, so I did it. I had to do a lot of dirty rotten lieing, but I feel I ended up with a pretty good deal. That bullshit $35 administration fee when I picked up my phone sucked though.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Rick Rickshaw posted:

That was pretty much going to be my plan by the time I got around to calling again this evening, so I did it. I had to do a lot of dirty rotten lieing, but I feel I ended up with a pretty good deal. That bullshit $35 administration fee when I picked up my phone sucked though.

Awesome! Mind posting your plan details just so the rest of us can use it as a benchmark for future reference? :D

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rick Rickshaw posted:

As an aside, any chance that you're selling the old i4 for parts?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

What's the current state of play with getting Rogers iPhones unlocked? I have a 4S I'd dearly love to use outside the country.

Have things moved to a more enlightened stage at all or am I just hopelessly optimistic on this one?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Lexicon posted:

Awesome! Mind posting your plan details just so the rest of us can use it as a benchmark for future reference? :D

My old plan for 65.06 was:
200 Weekday + 100 bonus
Unlimited Evenings 6pm
My 5 local
6GB

My new plan for 62.79 is:
200 Weekday + 100 bonus
Unlimited Evenings 6pm
My 10 Canada-Wide
6GB

Now that I look at it, I originally thought I was saving more than I am, but it turns out I pretty much consistently had $3 of long-distance charges, so hopefully My 10 will take care of that. Also, when I called, I said Bell was offering me an iPhone 5 for $100, so they gave me a $30 one-time credit to my account as well. When they asked how I got that deal, I said it's because I work in a Bell building and I hassle them. The first part of that being true, and the latter being a dirty rotten lie.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I faired out? This process was a lot more rushed than I wanted it to be, due to the tragic consequences of my battery replacement gone awry.

Martytoof posted:

As an aside, any chance that you're selling the old i4 for parts?

How dare you talk about the recently deceased like that!

....actually, that sounds like a good idea. I might try to just sell it off locally. What did you have in mind?

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 25, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rick Rickshaw posted:

....actually, that sounds like a good idea. I might try to just sell it off locally. What did you have in mind?

Oh I just didn't know if you wanted to unload the carcass. If you have a price in mind let me know. I just wanted to tinker inside one for funsies, maybe see if I can fix it for practice, but you might actually be able to sell it off to someone who needs the parts (like if the LCD is still in good condition, etc) in which case that would probably be a more noble use of the phone.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Oh I just didn't know if you wanted to unload the carcass. If you have a price in mind let me know. I just wanted to tinker inside one for funsies, maybe see if I can fix it for practice, but you might actually be able to sell it off to someone who needs the parts (like if the LCD is still in good condition, etc) in which case that would probably be a more noble use of the phone.

Well, I just sold it on my lunch hour for $65. Probably could have asked for more since the LCD was in tip-top, but I did haggle an extra $5 from his original offer of $60.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My idiot brother just paid over $360 to fix the broken screen and LCD on his S3. This is after I told him about the nexus 4.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

jonathan posted:

My idiot brother just paid over $360 to fix the broken screen and LCD on his S3. This is after I told him about the nexus 4.

It's probably best to just cull the entire bloodline. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Martytoof posted:

It's probably best to just cull the entire bloodline. Sorry.

His avatar can stay.