Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
My ride today, about 4 hours. The lake was pretty boring looking (but the roads were quite fine if a bit slippery) and there wasn't anything worth taking a photo of. I saw a motorcross race track on the side of the road and watched them race for a few minutes, that was cool.

For more content here's the awesome looking new 636

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hayden. posted:

My ride today, about 4 hours. The lake was pretty boring looking (but the roads were quite fine if a bit slippery) and there wasn't anything worth taking a photo of. I saw a motorcross race track on the side of the road and watched them race for a few minutes, that was cool.

For more content here's the awesome looking new 636

Someone on my brother-in-law's street already has one of these and it sits outside on his concrete path, the front wheel chained to the ground. Very striking looking bike with a ridiculously dumb looking exhaust.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I think the exhaust is great. The gloss/matte finish that matches the tail/seat of the bike is pretty neat and I don't recall seeing something like that before.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That exhaust should look terrible, but I agree, it's certainly livable the way they've done it.

It biggest drawback is that it is probably heavier than gently caress.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

And for that big exhaust body there is probably an outlet the diameter of a pencil

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

And for that big exhaust body there is probably an outlet the diameter of a pencil

I remember seeing an almost-new fireblade that had a tiny ninja 250 hole and a much larger, sensible hole beneath, with a shut-off valve for the big hole so it passes noise regulations at low RPM. Maybe this is just too expensive to bother with on most bikes?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nah, it's pretty big. I had an 09 with the same looking exhaust.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I see bikes like this and the first thing I think is "this would look awesome without rearsets or the heat shield or the plate holder." It makes me sad that bikes must be sold this way, when the first thing that most aesthetically-minded people will do is pull half the stuff off as soon as they get it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Why would you remove the rearsets? What would you replace them with? :raise:

At least fender eliminators tend to be fairly cheap and are a simple swap. The big old ugly rear fender thing is by far the worst thing on all new bikes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

hayden. posted:

This will kill a whole day from Portland, but if you haven't done NF25 around the east slope of St. Helens, it is excellent: http://goo.gl/maps/3epMZ

I haven't done the run up to Windy Ridge Observatory about halfway through but I hear it is also excellent.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think that ninja looks really sharp in white

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The exhaust kind of makes me think of the laser rifle from Fallout New Vegas. I guess it's just the shape.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Have you seen the white in person? It's a gorgeous matte-pearl.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No, and it looks like Canada will only get green and black.

Not that I would buy one either way, but I think it's a drat good looking bike.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

This will kill a whole day from Portland, but if you haven't done NF25 around the east slope of St. Helens, it is excellent: http://goo.gl/maps/3epMZ

I haven't done the run up to Windy Ridge Observatory about halfway through but I hear it is also excellent.

This looks awesome, thanks for the tip. I'm not sure when the roads clear up from winter weather, trying to find advice about it now. Looking forward to this view though: http://randomtime.com/eric/roads/nf25/curlycreekview.jpg

I'll definitely go ASAP and post back here with some pics.

edit: looks like it doesn't clear up until mid-June. Oh well.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 11, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I did it last September and thick fog blocked any view opportunities, but I was too busy with the ridiculous quantity 15, 20, and 25mph corners to care.

On the same trip, I did McKenzie Pass from Eugene to the Bend area: http://goo.gl/maps/2wZKx

There's a pretty crazy lava field at the top of the pass [not my photo]: http://i.imgur.com/WpiOKXh.jpg

I think this one stays closed until summer, too. No truck traffic is allowed so the road surface is absolutely sublime.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

hayden. posted:

This looks awesome, thanks for the tip. I'm not sure when the roads clear up from winter weather, trying to find advice about it now. Looking forward to this view though: http://randomtime.com/eric/roads/nf25/curlycreekview.jpg

I'll definitely go ASAP and post back here with some pics.

edit: looks like it doesn't clear up until mid-June. Oh well.

I did a lot of that in mid June a couple years back and yeah, there was a ton of snow. Was nice that there was hardly any tourists though.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

When would you recommend I go for ideal conditions? I can do it midweek to avoid tourists.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
After independence day and through September is probably the best time for riding the Cascades.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Top one's a naked gravity bike, apparently.

Anyone have more like these? I happened to run into both on the same site but can't find any more.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've seen a number of car versions of those, and it's amazing how much less material there is in a motorcycle. Wheels, frame, engine and some pieces to hold it all together.

(I notice the top one is missing its engine though :v: )

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Here's the F1 version that I saw at a museum, I think maybe the MOMA.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Bott Moto2

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
SR400 for the curious. (Clip-ons AND clubmans)

obso fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 12, 2013

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Specifically, one by Deus:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
His fault?
Discuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0OAj8l0dGg

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
some jerk on reddit is waving his new cbr in my face.

it's so goddamn pretty.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

I think he was on the fz6 forum and it was an oil slick in the road made worse by the rain. Terrible impact.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

You can point at a couple of things he might have done better (you never ride in the centre of the lane in the wet, I'm fairly sure he tightened up when he saw the oil) but it's definitely not his fault.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You can point at a couple of things he might have done better (you never ride in the centre of the lane in the wet, I'm fairly sure he tightened up when he saw the oil) but it's definitely not his fault.

Yeah, all I could think when I saw it was 'poor guy'. Also glad that this sort of thing isn't very common around here and some old woman immediately calls the council who erect an overwhelming amount of cones and signage.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

some jerk on reddit is waving his new cbr in my face.

it's so goddamn pretty.

wow that's nice looking. Only thing I'd change on that is the mirrors. Is that stock bodywork/paint option?

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Not sure

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

lol, what the?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Yep, riding in the "oil dump" lane (middle of the road).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's even visible in the video, the middle of the road looks 'wet' right before he crashes. My guess is that there was a recent oil (or diesel) spill.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
New RSV4R is out:

Filth. Pure, unadulterated filth. Even the paddock stand gives me the horn.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
What's with the honey-combed chicken wire in front of the radiator, is that just a debris catcher? And assuming those rear pegs aren't for a passenger, but instead for going full tuck, how the gently caress do you change gear in that position, or do you just get it to top as fast as possible and just do everything with the throttle on the track?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Wootcannon posted:

What's with the honey-combed chicken wire in front of the radiator, is that just a debris catcher? And assuming those rear pegs aren't for a passenger, but instead for going full tuck, how the gently caress do you change gear in that position, or do you just get it to top as fast as possible and just do everything with the throttle on the track?

It has a side stand, turn signals, and a license plate holder too. It's obviously a road-going version of a race bike. Who's to say the passenger pegs aren't for a passenger?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wootcannon posted:

I don't think there's a human being who could get their legs onto those pillion pegs from a riding position - bear in mind that bike is about the same size as your 125. They're pillion pegs, but the tiny size of the seat and lack of grabrail makes me think that only a naked person who was *extremely* scared would be able to stay on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't think that's a pillion seat. It appears to be some kind of bespoke Italian wedgie device.