Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Bummey posted:

Also don't put that horrible LEAVE US A REVIEW pop up in your game either. That's annoying as poo poo and 100% of the time makes me not leave a review purely out of spite. Not that my reviews matter in the first place; it'll get drowned out among the hundreds of BEST APP EVER ⭐ and ADD MY CODE 17LKJ ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐reviews.

The secret here is that you should put that horrible pop up in your game because it will probably help.

Listen to Bummey, shipping an app without the rating prompt popup would be pretty stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Jet Set Radio has dropped to .69p or your countries equivalent. How is it? There's no TA review which is my usual gauge.

I saw people give some negative reviews so I'd like to balance those out. I really liked the iOS port, but then again, I really liked the Dreamcast version back in the day. The controls weren't great in the original version, but I don't think they're much worse in the iOS version. It took me about 30 minutes to really get a feel for them, but after that I didn't really have a problem. I bought it at $5 and really liked it, so at 69p I'd say go for it. The music is awesome and the game is still really stylish and fun.

On an unrelated note, despite the warnings here I downloaded Simpsons Tapped Out since what can I lose? Is the only way to get donuts through real life money? If so, that kinda sucks. I love the Simpsons and would gladly pay around $20 for the content I see, but I don't think that's nearly enough to unlock a lot of the stuff.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

eeenmachine posted:

Listen to Bummey, shipping an app without the rating prompt popup would be pretty stupid.
It's already in there. I'll probably end up doing push notifications too, because I should probably sleep on this App Store description instead of just smashing it up the second it's done. "OH I"M SUR THERE NO TYPOS IT ONLY 2AM"

Sorry Ursine :( But it does wait to pop up until you've gotten a ways in. Also, I'm pretty sure every kitty in the firehouse will meow and jump and erupt fireworks out of their butts when you leave feedback, so there's that too*.

*this may or may no be just what happens when you normally beat a level

EDIT: VV NNNNNNNNOOOOoooooooo :smithicide:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 12, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
:argh:

I guess I'll just have to thwart you by leaving feedback early haha what now

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

eeenmachine posted:

God this is the weirdest advertising system ever. One of the only places where noise is directly transferred to signal in customer perception. I wonder if there is some magic threshold where if enough people fart out a review that there is a massive spike of users. If anyone has any numbers on this please share, I'm eager to find out.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Rexicon1 posted:

God this is the weirdest advertising system ever. One of the only places where noise is directly transferred to signal in customer perception. I wonder if there is some magic threshold where if enough people fart out a review that there is a massive spike of users. If anyone has any numbers on this please share, I'm eager to find out.

I can't give specific numbers, but yes, having 4.X stars has a very measurable impact on your downloads.

edit: You'll notice smart apps put the "rate this!" prompt just after a big rewarding occurrence (free cash, level ups, etc) so the player is more inclined to be like "Hey, I did like this!" Having the prompt alone isn't enough, it needs to be well-placed as well, because if you put it at a bad time, you'll be more likely to incur a lower rating.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

God this is the weirdest advertising system ever. One of the only places where noise is directly transferred to signal in customer perception.

Emergent properties of behavior and selection :pcgaming:

DNK fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 12, 2013

Zeryn
Jan 22, 2008
Amateur Lurker

DNK posted:

I think games that rely on push notifications for their gameplay are terrible abominations. If you can design a fun game without relying on notifications to drive the user then I guess they're ok. I guess this is like "Your bank has generated $0.01 in interest! Pick it up!" every 5 minutes vs Puzzle Craft.

From a dev standpoint, there's a pretty big difference between push and local notifications. Local notifs are the 'Your tiny cow is ready to harvest' messages. Push notifs come from the server and are for things like remotely triggering 'Hey! Did you know that today is Friday and therefore you should play this game right now?' for all users.

I'd definitely implement local notifications if you have timer based events in the game. Most people turn them off if they don't want them and use them if they do. It's easy to get your app lost in the noise and this helps people remember that it exists and they liked it. You can get away without push notifications much easier.

devilmouse posted:

I can't give specific numbers, but yes, having 4.X stars has a very measurable impact on your downloads.

edit: You'll notice smart apps put the "rate this!" prompt just after a big rewarding occurrence (free cash, level ups, etc) so the player is more inclined to be like "Hey, I did like this!"

This is entirely true.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sheriff posted:

On an unrelated note, despite the warnings here I downloaded Simpsons Tapped Out since what can I lose? Is the only way to get donuts through real life money? If so, that kinda sucks. I love the Simpsons and would gladly pay around $20 for the content I see, but I don't think that's nearly enough to unlock a lot of the stuff.

You get a pittance of donuts simply from completing quests and leveling. I enjoy Simpsons Tapped Out but I'll never get a lot of the donut-only items, simply because they're too much. The game has the most expensive pay-in system I've seen so far. A hundred bucks of donuts won't even get you that much, in the long run. It's crazy.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

graventy posted:

You get a pittance of donuts simply from completing quests and leveling. I enjoy Simpsons Tapped Out but I'll never get a lot of the donut-only items, simply because they're too much. The game has the most expensive pay-in system I've seen so far. A hundred bucks of donuts won't even get you that much, in the long run. It's crazy.
Guessing you haven't played That Pony Game that would take 3 years of normal play to beat without IAPs.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

junglistvip posted:

How many trophies you got?

I'll lower it so you can join if needs be.

Ok, so I checked and I had 19.... I raided one guy, blew up his town hall and I'm over 200. I then apparently defended against 12 attacks, never been attacked before today.

E: just crested 300.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 12, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Well I'm not a game developer, but I do have a software company. Our business model is to give our software away for free but you can pay for us to alter the code in a way that helps to your business ( this gets added to base software making it better). Only about .5% of our customers pay for anything but we get 1000s of times more people using the software compared to when we charged for it. That means we make more money overall.

I imagine that is what iOS game developers are doing. Of course we all know how it went with punch quest when you give too much away for free and don't use ads or forceful with IAP, they barely made any money (I hope it does better now). Now I'm not happy with the IAP games right now because most of them are just timer games, but with games like RAD solider I will pay for expansion or different (not stronger) play styles.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

Shalinor posted:

That isn't to say there's no market of people willing to pay premium on mobile. There is. The thing is, you'll cap out at a revenue way, way, way below what you would if you embraced F2P. It's a choice indies (like Spiderweb Software / Avernum) can afford to make, maybe, but if you're a big studio like Fishlabs? Or especially if you're beholden to stockholders/investors? You don't have that option.

I'm curious to see how a non-casual F2P game even pans out on iOS. Is there even a good example of one right now? I mean, maybe besides a handful of Gameloft clones?

I think the casual skew is just a byproduct of the size and attitude of the market. You have a very big potential audience, but they generally don't want to pay much up front. So to get the most advantage out of that audience, you should mostly stick to accessible, casual stuff that's ideally quick to produce. There's no reason you can't do bigger things on iOS, but bigger things take significantly more time to make and tend to have a much smaller audience than the highly coveted "everyone, all ages and genders, that have at least one eye and a finger" demographic.

Not that you can't make a living off more complex games on iOS. I just wouldn't recommend it all that much. I think we're doing one last big iOS game, the one that's like Mage Gauntlet but with a bunch of character classes and random levels. I may also be doing a Spelunky-ish Punch Quest sequel with Madgarden. After that, we'll probably mostly move to PC, while doing the following things on iOS:

1. Very simple games I make, while I'm on the toilet, for people to play while they're on the toilet. One hand portrait mode, so you have the other hand for wiping.
2. Cloning the poo poo out of Zelda for $5 a pop. They'd be very easy for us to churn out. We've had an open-world action-adventure prototype since Mage Gauntlet.
3. Sometimes porting PC games we make. With an artificial delay of like a month (seems to be a great strategy).

Shwqa posted:

I imagine that is what iOS game developers are doing. Of course we all know how it went with punch quest when you give too much away for free and don't use ads or forceful with IAP, they barely made any money (I hope it does better now).

Yeah it's doing good now. Not great, would have done great if we had the current pricing in at launch. It surpassed Hook Worlds awhile ago and is still puttering along. What we're doing with the next game(s) is tying the IAP to unlocking new classes/characters, similar to League of Legends. You can still unlock classes for free via daily rewards, but it'll take 1-3 weeks for each, depending on how expensive the character is.

Kepa fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 12, 2013

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Oh hell no.

Right now the cheapest building I can buy for donuts is 75. I can buy 2400 donuts for 100 bucks, so that makes the building ~3 bucks. Of course, the cooler stuff, like, say, Barney and the Bowlarama, are more, ~10 bucks. I guess that's not quite 50 bucks for one Pony level of bad, but it's pretty loving awful.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So any clash of clan tips? single player in particular. I always seem to get my force wiped out before the idiots take out the only things attacking them.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Anyone try Jet Set Radio? It's on sale for 99 cents at the moment but I remember how bad the controls on the DC were and shudder to think of iOS controls for it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Also I'm still waiting for a harvest moon/ rune factory and uncharted waters game for the iOS. I would pay in the 5-10 dollar range for those HINT HINT.

Edit: we already talked about jet set radio, the controls seem to be terrible.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
It's been mentioned previously but Dungelot's latest update takes what was a challenging game and completely neuters it. I've played through it with a buffed-up Paladin and then with a barely-upgraded Alchemist, and once you get the useful equipment pieces you can watch your health go up level after level. I would have to either spend the next half hour diving to ridiculous levels or intentionally kill myself off to finish up.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I've never paid any irl money in the Simpsons game and my town is cool as hell. It's still a bit of fun even if you don't want to spend any cash IMHO :)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Username is triplexpac for that Simpsons game

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Shalinor posted:

Related question: does a game popping up wanting to send you push notifications color your initial opinion of the game? I'd like to say it doesn't for me, but... I think it does. I immediately mash "no", and if the game is F2P, I immediately assume it'll be a scummy one.

(Yes, I ask because I am literally sitting here, dithering about whether I actually want to make my game do "that." Currently leaning to the "Punch Quest didn't, so I won't either" side of things.)

If it's a free game and it does that, I say no and I uninstall without playing the game. Don't care how much goons love it, it's dead to me. The worst was when that goddamn Simpsons game woke me up in the middle of the night. Never again.

I just wanna pay 10 bucks for a good game and not have it bother me. Just because my phone is always on, doesn't mean I always want to be bothered by a game.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
So I've got an international flight coming up and am looking for longer games to play. I've got ghost trick and phoenix wright lined up, was thinking of monkey island. I just downloaded supermagical and enjoy the way its story mode emulates puzzle story modes in console puzzlers like tetris attack. I might get jsrf for the buck but what other games out there feel "console ready" or provide progression over a longer session instead of timer games or energy games?

Has anyone played the capcom ios games? Specifically megaman x and final fight?

CatelynIsAZombie fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 12, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Zeryn posted:

From a dev standpoint, there's a pretty big difference between push and local notifications. Local notifs are the 'Your tiny cow is ready to harvest' messages. Push notifs come from the server and are for things like remotely triggering 'Hey! Did you know that today is Friday and therefore you should play this game right now?' for all users.

Technically accurate, but the end result from the user's perspective is the same; it's not like you can disable remote but permit local at the OS level. Also remote notifs are inherently pushed per user as opposed to en masse; the company in question just iterates through all the device+app hashes that it gets when the app registers itself with the apple notif servers. So it really is pretty trivial to remote push "harvest the tiny cow" if there's some sort of additional server verification making sure the cow is ready to harvest :eng101:

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I wonder if I can just remake cow clicker and pay off my student loans like that, by just being the most predatory, operant conditioning machine I can devise.

E: I'll throw in IAP for some big titted anime angel card that clicks the cow for you twice a day.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

DrManiac posted:

So any clash of clan tips? single player in particular. I always seem to get my force wiped out before the idiots take out the only things attacking them.
There are walk through videos on YouTube to help. I've used them when I've got stuck.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

concerned mom posted:

If you don't have enough we can temporary lower the limit so you can get in!

I've only got a little over 400, so it'd be swell if you could lower the requirement so I can join.

IzzyNobre
Dec 8, 2005

Long live Mario

Rexicon1 posted:

Get me a HoMM and then we'll talk.

At this point I doubt this will ever happen. Gameloft handles Ubisoft's stuff on iOS, right? They ported Settlers, which is arguably less known (especially back when they did), but not HoMM. Go figure that one out.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Kepa posted:

Yeah it's doing good now. Not great, would have done great if we had the current pricing in at launch. It surpassed Hook Worlds awhile ago and is still puttering along. What we're doing with the next game(s) is tying the IAP to unlocking new classes/characters, similar to League of Legends. You can still unlock classes for free via daily rewards, but it'll take 1-3 weeks for each, depending on how expensive the character is.

hey why can't I share my game results once a day for punchos anymore :(

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

IzzyNobre posted:

At this point I doubt this will ever happen. Gameloft handles Ubisoft's stuff on iOS, right? They ported Settlers, which is arguably less known (especially back when they did), but not HoMM. Go figure that one out.

It's sad because I would drop at least 5 bucks to play HoMM on my iPad. Ok I'll be honest I would pay way more than 5.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

MrSargent posted:

It's sad because I would drop at least 5 bucks to play HoMM on my iPad. Ok I'll be honest I would pay way more than 5.

I've been looking into it a little and there might be a way to do it if you're willing to spend a bunch of time tinkering. GOG.com sells all sorts of classic PC games like HoMM (or the actual Might & Magic games that are more my speed) all of which are set up to run using DOSbox.

There is a title on the App Store named Aemula Oldies that contains a bunch of old PC games (Doom, Wolfenstein, Prince of Persia etc) and more importantly a version of DOSbox like how Gridlee has a version of MAME. Seems to be a pain to load software, but people on the TA forums have done all sorts of crazy stuff like installing Windows 3.1 on an iPad with it.

Of course that's a hell of a lot more hassle than dropping five bucks, but maybe someone in the thread is obsessive enough about HoMM to figure it all out.

IzzyNobre
Dec 8, 2005

Long live Mario
^^ Are you sure you're not confusing it with iDos/Dospad or whatever it was called? I jumped on that bandwagon hardcore, only to be disappointed when it became clear that it's not much more than a gimmicky "hey look I have windows on my iPad" app. Most games are nigh unplayable.

MrSargent posted:

They make me a decent port of HoMM 3, they can name their price for all I care. Add asynchronous multiplayer (never quite managed to play MP on HoMM 3) and I'll throw in my firstborn for good measure.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

IzzyNobre posted:

^^ Are you sure you're not confusing it with iDos/Dospad or whatever it was called? I jumped on that bandwagon hardcore, only to be disappointed when it became clear that it's not much more than a gimmicky "hey look I have windows on my iPad" app. Most games are nigh unplayable.

Could be, I only gave it a very brief look and decided I wasn't interested in doing the legwork. Seems like it should be possible, I think someone in the TA thread said they had Daggerfall running playable but not stellar.

I wonder if there is a way for the GOG guys to sell the titles they have bundled with a pre configured DOS emulator on the App Store. I'd love to buy easy to setup iPad copies of Ultima 3-5, M&M 3-5, all those old school Sierra adventure games, even if they were a little clunky.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

IzzyNobre posted:

Are you sure you're not confusing it with iDos/Dospad or whatever it was called?

Yeah Aemula Oldies is a version of Dospad that is somewhat obtuse to load programs into. It comes with a bunch of Shareware stuff that no one will ask to get it pulled for, but if you make a games directory structure some kind of container file you can load your own stuff. It's really complicated compared to the actual Dospad app although it's exactly the same 'Now what?' feeling after you realize that the games aren't fun to play with the available inputs if they are even playable at all.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Ursine Asylum posted:

Technically accurate, but the end result from the user's perspective is the same; it's not like you can disable remote but permit local at the OS level.

Has this changed now? It used to be the case that an app could schedule local notifications (but not push) without the permission dialog ever appearing, and you couldn't disable these through the system settings. I've definitely installed a game since iOS 6 that's been sending me "you're neglecting me" local notifications without ever asking me, but looking now it does appear in the Notification Center settings to be disabled.

It's got a lot better in iOS 6 with the do not disturb features, but I still generally say no to push notifications unless I can think of a reason I'd want that game notifying me of anything.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat
In case anyone is looking to play games rather than discuss the finer points of pricing, you're missing out if you haven't played Finding Teddy, just the sweetest little point n click around.

According to the TA forums there are some big bugs and there's no iPhone 5 resolution support, but I didn't have any problems. Great game.

junglistvip
Nov 30, 2010

slogsdon posted:

I've only got a little over 400, so it'd be swell if you could lower the requirement so I can join.

Put the limit down to 200 for the guys that didn't have enough.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

anticake posted:

Yeah Aemula Oldies is a version of Dospad that is somewhat obtuse to load programs into. It comes with a bunch of Shareware stuff that no one will ask to get it pulled for, but if you make a games directory structure some kind of container file you can load your own stuff. It's really complicated compared to the actual Dospad app although it's exactly the same 'Now what?' feeling after you realize that the games aren't fun to play with the available inputs if they are even playable at all.

Yeah this was my experience with both DOSBOX and iMame. Holy poo poo I can run X game on this haha this is awesome! Then 10 minutes later realizing these games were not meant to be played on a touchscreen

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah this was my experience with both DOSBOX and iMame. Holy poo poo I can run X game on this haha this is awesome! Then 10 minutes later realizing these games were not meant to be played on a touchscreen

I played a mame and snes emulator on a mates jailbroken ipad3 at the weekend via a classic controller connected to a wiimote and oh my, I am so tempted to sort mine out as well. I know it would never happen with Jobs etc philosophy but if Apple had included bluetooth controller support in the api/os etc from the start we'd be so much better off!

Anyone played Questlord?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

junglistvip posted:

Put the limit down to 200 for the guys that didn't have enough.

I'm in now thanks! In as DrowningRabbit. I just lost my first battle apparently. Getting attacked with 100+ goblins was enough to activate the shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Fazana posted:

Anyone played Questlord?

I love it. It's so much more open ended than I thought it would be.

• Locked thread