Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Doesn't the Army have some kind of ADC equivalent? WTF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm a Civ Con out here working with Marines. They're OK for the most part, but there's one... interesting guy.

Refuses to believe that black people can be capable of racism; or rather that mistrust and hatred of white people by minorities is well-founded and not racist, regardless of the definition of racism. Everyone, including his PL and poo poo, has tried to tell him what racism means.

Now, for Black History Month, he's posting up pics of various black heroes all over the office.

This is the same guy who calls anyone he doesn't like human being because he actively actually hates gay people. He also thinks I'm gay after I refused to engage him on the subject.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Well to be fair you do have a My Little Pony avatar.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Mortabis posted:

Oh christ, those stupid loving things.

We also have a thing here called "ranger platoon" which does the a lot of the things we do in lab (which are kinda fun, admittedly) but more often. Of course, they also do a shitload of extra PT, so gently caress that. Apparently a few days ago they did "room clearing." I had a vague idea that it was some SWAT-type thing for how to force your way into a building without taking casualties.

Turns out that it's actually a fully choreographed maneuver, fully explained in field manuals which are available online. That's right! When entering buildings filled with booby traps and gunmen, American soldiers are expected to perform a very specific and highly predictable set of movements in concert with each other. And these cadets, having learned how to do this ridiculous dance, think they are suddenly high speed operators or some poo poo.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken and this technique actually works but it seems like it would be really easy for each and every one of our enemies to specifically train to counter it. I suggested it would be way more efficient to just set the building on fire.

tl;dr cadets are willing to believe blatantly ridiculous aspects of their training are turning them into elite warriors.

What kind of super POG rear end MOS did you sign up for that you've never heard of room clearing?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
When I was in tanker basic, someone asked the drill sergeants about room clearing. The response was basically

"Listen up prives. You know you'll be clearing a room when your motherfuckin' TC, yells out LOAD MOTHERFUCKIN' HEAT, and that's all you need to know."

I am now a scout and have never cleared a room in training or otherwise.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I suppose that makes me the idiot in that story. An idiot for signing up for combat arms and never actually doing any shooting.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

Mortabis posted:

We also have a thing here called "ranger platoon" which does the a lot of the things we do in lab (which are kinda fun, admittedly) but more often. Of course, they also do a shitload of extra PT, so gently caress that. Apparently a few days ago they did "room clearing." I had a vague idea that it was some SWAT-type thing for how to force your way into a building without taking casualties.

Turns out that it's actually a fully choreographed maneuver, fully explained in field manuals which are available online. That's right! When entering buildings filled with booby traps and gunmen, American soldiers are expected to perform a very specific and highly predictable set of movements in concert with each other. And these cadets, having learned how to do this ridiculous dance, think they are suddenly high speed operators or some poo poo.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken and this technique actually works but it seems like it would be really easy for each and every one of our enemies to specifically train to counter it. I suggested it would be way more efficient to just set the building on fire.

tl;dr cadets are willing to believe blatantly ridiculous aspects of their training are turning them into elite warriors.

Seriously, what the gently caress is this poo poo?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Demonlord posted:

What kind of super POG rear end MOS did you sign up for that you've never heard of room clearing?

ROTC cadet.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Really, it sounds like some stupid kind of drill team. Instead of marching around they pretend to be "operators". :bustem: That's what I got out of it.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

Really, it sounds like some stupid kind of drill team. Instead of marching around they pretend to be "operators". :bustem: That's what I got out of it.

I clear rooms within hours of a good bowl of chili. :colbert:

Crazy Legs
Nov 6, 2010
I did it for OML points. My Ranger Challenge team was also composed of people who didn't want to get first place because that would mean we'd have to do it again in the Spring.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Admiral Bosch posted:

I had a buddy of mine get hospitalized on Bastion with a concussion after an IED strike. While he was laid up in bed, still concussed, our platoon sergeant(who never went on convoys with us, for the record. Not once.) went to see him so he could NJP him for losing his NVGs during said IED strike. Lost a stripe for it. But he got a PH!

Platoon Sergeants can't NJP anyone so I assume you meant charge. Pretty obvious thing to request mast about, though. At some point, some officer is going to say to himself "Man, I really don't want my boss to see this poo poo."

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

There is a documentary on Netflix about West Point in the (I think) early 2000s. They have a "Tactical Team" that is some sort of extra curricular activity run by a retired Ranger Batt. NCO. The few minutes they show on the video makes it look like its not a total joke. They probably shoot a lot, and do it on the government dollar. I probably would have been way more excited about college if I could have been able to do that after classes.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Veins McGee posted:

Platoon Sergeants can't NJP anyone so I assume you meant charge. Pretty obvious thing to request mast about, though. At some point, some officer is going to say to himself "Man, I really don't want my boss to see this poo poo."

Yeah you're probably right. I can never remember the particulars of that sort of thing. Platoon sergeant was an E6, if that makes a difference. Regardless, really stupid. I honestly kind of doubt a request mast would have gone anywhere as the entire security platoon was made up of reservists from different units, so once we all left nobody would be accountable for poo poo. That's just me guessing, though.

e: he definitely got busted down, though, I remember that quite clearly.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 7, 2013

vains
May 26, 2004

Admiral Bosch posted:

Yeah you're right. I can never remember the particulars of that sort of thing. Regardless, really stupid. I honestly kind of doubt a request mast would have gone anywhere as the entire security platoon was made up of reservists from different units, so once we all left nobody would be accountable for poo poo. That's just me guessing, though.

By MCO and NAVMC directive, a request mast has to go somewhere and, generally, it has to happen within 24 hours. Not that it really matters but its pretty dumb to get fried for losing your NVGs after an IED strike. If anything, it is the responsibility of that Marine's platoon sergeant to secure his serialized gear prior to him getting casevaced.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Martello posted:

Well to be fair you do have a My Little Pony avatar.

True, but no one out here knows about it.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Mortabis posted:

Haha holy poo poo

I didn't read this before because it was long plus the words "tl;dr" and "cadet." You realize that room clearing is an irl thing that irl infantry do in irl urban combat, right? It also works. Yeah, tossing a grenade in or destroying the building from the outside is easier and more effective, but there are plenty of situations where you can't do that.

Regardless of how gay and "high-speed" those ranger whatever cadets are, you're the idiot in this story, dude.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I skipped over it and I thought it was Martello posting that for a second, and I just... wow. After reading it and figuring out who it wasn't, that makes a lot more sense. How the gently caress do you not know about room clearing? We did that poo poo in Basic years ago and still practice it, as a supply company, yearly.

vains
May 26, 2004

No Butt Stuff posted:

I skipped over it and I thought it was Martello posting that for a second, and I just... wow. After reading it and figuring out who it wasn't, that makes a lot more sense. How the gently caress do you not know about room clearing? We did that poo poo in Basic years ago and still practice it, as a supply company, yearly.

Because hes in ROTC

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Do Infantry officers even participate in room clearance? I mean, when we cleared poo poo as 21Bs the LT was always commanding, not being some schmuck in a stack. Each individual unit always has their own SOP for clearance yeah, but I have no idea if in training they have 11As involved in the actually process.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Admiral Bosch posted:

I had a buddy of mine get hospitalized on Bastion with a concussion after an IED strike. While he was laid up in bed, still concussed, our platoon sergeant(who never went on convoys with us, for the record. Not once.) went to see him so he could NJP him for losing his NVGs during said IED strike. Lost a stripe for it. But he got a PH!

WTF? I know they're a sensitive item and all but one would think getting blown up would be a sufficient explanation for their loss. Maybe I'm naive about the military justice system but that seems like a case where you should turn down NJP and ask for a court martial or at least file an IG complaint.

We did some room clearing in some little MOUT site at Fort Jackson's uber hardcore BCT for an hour or two. I think the Army has some bigger problems if it ever came down to support units being asked to do room clearing. But I get the point of exposing everyone to basic infantry stuff just to know what it is although I would fully expect to die if ever tasked with it. Since basic the most I've done with weapons is qualify. I'm confident in my ability to operate and accurately fire my weapon and that's probably it.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 7, 2013

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Admiral Bosch posted:

...I swear to god, this angers me more than anything military related ever has. The dude got blown up and he got loving njp'd for it?!

Please tell me this is a fakepost. Lie to me if you have to.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mortabis posted:

Turns out that it's actually a fully choreographed maneuver...

You ain't kidding.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

grumplestiltzkin posted:

...I swear to god, this angers me more than anything military related ever has. The dude got blown up and he got loving njp'd for it?!

Please tell me this is a fakepost. Lie to me if you have to.

I wish I was. Like Veins is saying, it probably wasn't an NJP(at least not right off the bat) but he definitely got burned for it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

You ain't kidding.

Too busy hopping over the opening to notice Juba on the roof.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Admiral Bosch posted:

I wish I was. Like Veins is saying, it probably wasn't an NJP(at least not right off the bat) but he definitely got burned for it.

I don't understand the actual intricacies of the "Ninja Punch", but in the Army that poo poo has to slide across someone's desk before you lose a stripe over it. Does your leadership suck so bad that someone at the 1SG/CO level said "Yup, I agree to this"?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't understand the actual intricacies of the "Ninja Punch", but in the Army that poo poo has to slide across someone's desk before you lose a stripe over it. Does your leadership suck so bad that someone at the 1SG/CO level said "Yup, I agree to this"?

Only a CO can NJP to put it simply.

e: Which is the only way to lose a stripe outside of court martial.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 8, 2013

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Vasudus posted:

Do Infantry officers even participate in room clearance? I mean, when we cleared poo poo as 21Bs the LT was always commanding, not being some schmuck in a stack. Each individual unit always has their own SOP for clearance yeah, but I have no idea if in training they have 11As involved in the actually process.

Yes. During IOBC we did it a lot. During STX and also many runs through an actual 360 shoot house. In actual combat, no, a PL probably wouldn't be in a stack. But he should be able to jump into one easily if he needs to, and he needs to know exactly how it works so he can train his men and also plan missions, training or real-world.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Well, I'm not going to name names, but the the CO of Shmecond Shmaintenance Shmatallion was a real rear end in a top hat.

e: I'm gonna message a friend of mine and see if he remembers the particulars of the incident.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 8, 2013

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Martello posted:

Yes. During IOBC we did it a lot. During STX and also many runs through an actual 360 shoot house. In actual combat, no, a PL probably wouldn't be in a stack. But he should be able to jump into one easily if he needs to, and he needs to know exactly how it works so he can train his men and also plan missions, training or real-world.

Yea, we did it back in 09, shoot house and all. I don't know if they still do it though, IOBC supposedly went through a "course correction" sometime after I went through it and the (then) new BC (who was the former ranger school XO) sank his teeth into the program.

When I was in basic we had a kid that essentially shut down. Stopped showering, stopped listening, even stopped wiping his own rear end. He managed to fail basic training in the middle of 08 (Y'know, during the Surge?). He would routinely leave his weapon laying around, to the point where people got tired of it and started stealing parts of it. He would be awkwardly corralled into the shower (with tears in his eyes), where other soldiers (not a DS) stood waiting with some kind brush (maybe a toilet bowl brush?) threatening to "help" him clean himself. Last I saw he was a road guard for family day/graduation and was in the middle of being chaptered soon after that, our DS's face beaming with pride that he got to start the process.

Piisamirotta
Oct 30, 2012

Having served in the FDF for a couple of years I believed I'd seen the worst idiots imaginable, but thanks for making me see that idiocy is not restricted to conscript forces.

Anyway, back when I was still in service as an officer I had several really bad ones, but one guy really stands out. We do have standards in conscription, but sometimes those standards just fail. So, a new batch of conscripts arrives and looks like every other batch I've handled except for one guy who just looks wrong. Not like he had Downs, but the empty smile on his face combined with the fact that he has crooked legs and is built like a stick insect. The first days pass without much of an incident, except for the fact that this private cannot for the life of him learn how to tie the laces on his shoes. He arrived in those velcro sneakers. After some time I happen to overhear from the corporal in his room that his mother packed a coloring book and crayons for him, also he has serious trouble understanding writing, and to a lesser extent speech. He also tended to just freeze and get this deer in headlights expression when he was talked to.

After a week or two of service I request my company commander to recommend him for transfer to C- or D-class (relieved from duty during peace and wartime respectively), but the captain refuses as we've already had something like 5% losses plus a small batch to begin with. So we figure with the other trainers that maybe we'll just have to keep an eye on him and hope he doesn't manage to kill anybody.

Time passes and the first range day comes to pass. At this point we're positive he is mentally deficient in some way, so we instruct a corporal to keep a really close eye on him during the live fire -phase. The order to start firing is given, and after everyone has shot their rounds we check the guns. Turns out the private had understood how to load his weapon, but not how to fire it, so while the others were blasting away happily, he was reloading his weapon, aiming it at the board, and reloading again without firing a single shot. After that incident we tended to "forget" him, or instruct him to just report to the hospital on shooting days.

On exercises in the woods he couldn't grasp the concepts of guard duty or firewatch, one freezing night it was his turn on firewatch at about midnight. I wake up at about three AM to a cold tent with the private just sitting there, he hadn't awoken the next guy, but he had added wood into the stove. The stove was full of unburnt wood. No more watch duty for him.

We did finally find something he could do in the specialised training phase of the conscripts. If you put him into a cable patrol, strapped the cables to his back and instructed the leader of the patrol well he could perform adequately.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
IDK that just sounds like he had mental disabilities... I've met some people who have joined and served with severe mental handicaps, but they were able to pass a standardized test and follow directions well. They don't have allocations in Finland for non-military conscription, or was it his choice?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
We did room clearance once for Sergeant's time. With no blanks or MILES gear, or paintballs or anything.

A signal platoon doing room clearance and shouting BANG BANG. Randoms from same platoon getting eenie-meenie-miney-moe'd for OPFOR. Shouting matchs about who killed who. An E-6 whose idea it was, getting steadily more purple as the morning progressed.

The cherry on top was the Battalion training NCO stopping by at 11:30 wanting to see a run-through to see what we learned. And getting the 100 dollar version of the show.

When the TNCO dragged all E-5 and up around the Conex to yell at them, all us E-4s smiled and fist-bumped.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Was supervising contractors yet again, it's my favorite thing ever NOT. They're supposed to be fixing a big long list of hosed up poo poo that a CE inspection turned up in one of our hangers. It's a flex day and on top of that we had a decent amount of snow fall last night so there's hardly anyone else out there, and I worry about them doing something stupid like crashing a lift into one of the planes. There are some fixed ladders and catwalks in there that are roped off because they violate some OSHA standard. I caught one of these guys not only climbing on it, but on the outside of the safety cage. A simple "Hey don't do that" and he got the message and decided to use the lift instead, I made sure they all heard. A little later I go the bathroom for 2 minutes to pee, only to come back and find another one of the contractors 40 feet in the air climbing over the guardrail on the lift, onto to the ladder safety cage. I've been dealing with this particular moron off and on for almost two years now after the contracting office in all their wisdom decided to rehire same company for the project after they came nowhere close to finishing during the original time period, fall 2011. I think it would be great if he cracked his skull open, just not when I'm going to be held responsible for it.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Casimir Radon posted:

There are some fixed ladders and catwalks in there that are roped off because they violate some OSHA standard.

FALL RESTRAINT

I think my favorite fall restraint story is when I was talking to a 2T2 air trans guy I used to work with...he was telling me about how at one of his previous bases (Pope, IIRC) they got caught up in the fall restraint craziness, and they put them on their k-loaders. So whenever you were pushing pallets on the k-loader you had to have the whole getup with the harness on if it was at all elevated, regardless of how high in the air it actually was. One day he's not wearing his, and QA writes him up. He gets asked why he wasn't wearing it, and goes "I'll do better than tell you, I'll show you," grabs the harness, walks over to the edge of the k-loader, and throws the harness off...it hits the ground followed by about 10 feet of rope.

Piisamirotta
Oct 30, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

IDK that just sounds like he had mental disabilities... I've met some people who have joined and served with severe mental handicaps, but they were able to pass a standardized test and follow directions well. They don't have allocations in Finland for non-military conscription, or was it his choice?

He probably had some sort of a disability, he's the only one I know to fail at the standardized psych tests.

There is an option for non-military, but he chose to continue in service. We tried to talk to him about maybe switching to civil service, but he didn't seem to understand that he didn't actually have to be there. If our company commander had had him re-evaluated he probably would have been transferred to C- or D-class, which pretty much releases you from conscription. The dude was pretty much just sad, he didn't seem to have malicious thoughts behind his inability, unlike a lot of unmotivated conscripts.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
Unlike the military, any place with positions for civilian service would have either not accepted him or thrown him out prior to completion. Either way he would have been stuck not being able to complete service, which would have been about twice as long as military service anyway. Add to that for a large part of the population civilian service is not socially acceptable.

FDF idiocy:
Doctors sending sick enlisted to do physically strenuous activities, this killed a friend of mine. I only managed to acquire a long term leg injury which they refused to treat.
Having the company rest behind the berms of a shooting range, copper started to fall from the sky until I managed to pick a fragment from its crater and force the NCOs to act.
No separate drying space for equipment. The result is that you dry equipment in your room but you are then admonished for the room being wet/dirty. Why did we not have drying space? The company didn't have the necessary padlocks for the closets. :shepicide:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

-dumb off topic question removed by me -

Ah, "equipment." Oof. I'm an idiot and did not read a word.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 12, 2013

Piisamirotta
Oct 30, 2012

Bensa posted:

No separate drying space for equipment. The result is that you dry equipment in your room but you are then admonished for the room being wet/dirty. Why did we not have drying space? The company didn't have the necessary padlocks for the closets. :shepicide:

Sounds like a failure by your quartermaster, two padlocks plus keys for them are supposed to be in the starting package that new conscripts get. We only got one too due to there being a brigade-wide padlock shortage(!) according to our quartermaster, but we just got the cheap chinese ones from the canteen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrieger
Sep 24, 2006

It is got toothpick!

Piisamirotta posted:

Sounds like a failure by your quartermaster, two padlocks plus keys for them are supposed to be in the starting package that new conscripts get. We only got one too due to there being a brigade-wide padlock shortage(!) according to our quartermaster, but we just got the cheap chinese ones from the canteen.

You guys supply those?

Swiss conscripts need to provide those themselves...Then again, we get a gun to take home instead :v: (Which is an entirely different case of :can: )

Actually, is GIP interested in a thread about how service works in Switzerland?