Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

I always seemed to have issues with this place on the NES version, but every playthrough I've done since my first has been:
Beat Lich
Get Canoe
Go to Ordeals
Go to Ice Cave
Get Canoe
Class Change

By the time I'm done I can go walk through the Volcano to kill Kary quick and easy.

e: I don't understand how TunnelArmr is that hard unless you're somehow level 10 or lower. Celes can just use Runic while Locke kills/potions as needed (but it will take awhile).

Yeah that's what I do too. The Ice Cave always blows with those shithead insta tentacle rape guys but it's worth doing to get the airship early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So, FFV chat. I'm at Galufs castle about to go save the wind drake and I found a room in the castle that only has floating armor type enemies that are weak to lvl5 death and give 4-8 ap per battle so I grinded them for a while. Bartz has dual weild now and has only done physical classes, lenna mastered time mage and is close to mastering white mage, galuf mastered summoner and is close to done with black mage, and faris has rapid fire now and is like lvl6 with spellblade. What direction should I take them now to most break the game? Is dual weilding lances stronger than going samurai for bartz and is rapid fire/spellblade worth the time or should I use rapid fire on a new class?

Ed: also I've been using a guide to make sure I dont miss blue magic, which faris has been doing up to this point. I want to break the silly game even though it hasnt been hard.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 12, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

You're already doing well in snapping the game over your knee. A few things that you'll want to do include:

*You'll eventually want to master Summoner with Lenna. Summoner has the highest Magic score of all jobs, and this passes down to the Bare job, as well as another that you'll get eventually.
*In this vein, you want everyone to master Thief, because this gives the highest Agility score in the game.
*If you're gonna have Faris keep doing !Rapid Fire and !Spellblade, you'll eventually wanna get her Dual Wield too.

There's more than that, but I'm not sure how much you want spoiled versus how much you don't. :)

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I forget where this is exactly in FF5 but there's a place where you can win or steal multiple Twin-Lances, which are a devastating weapon for a large chunk of the game especially if combined with Dual Wield / Rapid Fire.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Ross posted:

FF1 was pretty hardcore, in most of the dungeons after you beat the boss you had to walk back out, although I think the dungeons with the Four Fiends let you step on the magic orb and it would teleport you to the entrance. I can't remember if there was a "Warp" spell or anything similar. Most of the dungeons were intended to be tackled with multiple trips; going in and getting all the treasure, killing the boss, and making it back out and back to town was not usually something you could do on your first shot without some substantial grinding ahead of time.

And starting with the Ice Cave you would often run into hordes of Sorcerers or similar enemies which have paralyze or rub. I played the NES FF1 probably 10 times as a kid, and there is such a huge difficulty ramp up between Ice Cave and upgrading your classes.

Unfortunately I didn't even have Nintendo Power to get me through the game, I only had the partial walkthrough in the manual and had to figure poo poo out on my own. Thank god they gave you a gigantic map and bestiary with the game, otherwise I'd have been so lost.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Kyrosiris posted:

You're already doing well in snapping the game over your knee. A few things that you'll want to do include:

*You'll eventually want to master Summoner with Lenna. Summoner has the highest Magic score of all jobs, and this passes down to the Bare job, as well as another that you'll get eventually.
*In this vein, you want everyone to master Thief, because this gives the highest Agility score in the game.
*If you're gonna have Faris keep doing !Rapid Fire and !Spellblade, you'll eventually wanna get her Dual Wield too.

There's more than that, but I'm not sure how much you want spoiled versus how much you don't. :)
How can faris have all three of those at once? Does freelancer not need to equip dual weild as an ability to use it or something?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Fingers McLongDong posted:

How can faris have all three of those at once? Does freelancer not need to equip dual weild as an ability to use it or something?

Yes, if I remember correctly, the Freelancer gets all passive abilities of the classes you master. So when you master Ninja then he can do Dual Wield without actually equipping Dual Wield.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Freelancer inherits ALL positive stat gains and passive abilities of Mastered Classes, except obvious ones like Berserk, and one other that isn't coming to mind.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Whenever you master a job with a character, the Freelancer job for that character gains that job's highest stat boosts (unless it has a higher boost already from a different job) and any passive skills that the job has innately. So if you master Ninja with someone, they'll be able to Dual-Wield without having to set the ability as a Freelancer.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Freelancer inherits ALL positive stat gains and passive abilities of Mastered Classes, except obvious ones like Berserk, and one other that isn't coming to mind.

Two-Handed from Knight, since Knights don't get that innately.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Cool, thanks everyone. I wanted to beat and learn this game so I could try a four job fiesta since that sounds fun. So far its been one of the more fun jrpgs I can remember playing in a long time.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
e: soundly beaten!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

For some reason I have trouble with every version of FF1, I've beaten it yeah but the game feels grindy as hell to me. Otherwise, every game has one hard area or boss* and has been otherwise really easy the whole way through.
That's because it is an unbelievably grindy game!

Evil Fluffy posted:

e: I don't understand how TunnelArmr is that hard unless you're somehow level 10 or lower. Celes can just use Runic while Locke kills/potions as needed (but it will take awhile).
Well, I've had my share of unfortunate roll farts with Tunnel Armor. If it somehow spams the drill attack, you're screwed.

"Hey Locke check this out Runic will protect us from this boss"
*drill*
"... Uh"
*drill*
*game over*

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Cool, thanks everyone. I wanted to beat and learn this game so I could try a four job fiesta since that sounds fun. So far its been one of the more fun jrpgs I can remember playing in a long time.

It's a shame that game wasn't given a US release in a timely fashion. I would have absolutely loved it when I was 12.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ross posted:

I forget where this is exactly in FF5 but there's a place where you can win or steal multiple Twin-Lances, which are a devastating weapon for a large chunk of the game especially if combined with Dual Wield / Rapid Fire.

Amusingly they are from the same enemies that Fingers was talking about, the Statues/Objet d'Art in Galuf's castle basement. It's a rare steal, though, and only usable by Ninja and Thieves (and Freelancers, obviously).

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Ross posted:

It's a shame that game wasn't given a US release in a timely fashion. I would have absolutely loved it when I was 12.

Yeah this and the original 3 are the only ones I never beat for that exact reason. Also I looked up the twin lance and apparently I can steal it from the Objet d'art enemies, which are actually the enemies I was grinding in galufs castle so thanks for that suggestion. Other than blue magic and checking out class skills I havent been using a guide and the game has been fairly easy, but something about changeable jobs automatically makes games fun to me.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Kyrosiris posted:

Amusingly they are from the same enemies that Fingers was talking about, the Statues/Objet d'Art in Galuf's castle basement. It's a rare steal, though, and only usable by Ninja and Thieves (and Freelancers, obviously).

I also seem to remember that using Dual Wield and Rapid Fire with two of them didn't give the 16 hits I was expecting. I think it ignores the second hit when you use Rapid Fire :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Other than blue magic and checking out class skills I havent been using a guide and the game has been fairly easy, but something about changeable jobs automatically makes games fun to me.

What gives FF5 its longevity (IMO, at least) is that it is 100% what you make it - you can make the game easy by snapping it over your knee with very powerful job combinations, or you can do challenge runs like the Four Job Fiesta, Sulla's single character/class challenges, etc. There's also loads of little interactions and hidden mechanics that aren't immediately obvious at first blush (like some bosses being weak to instant death attacks during certain phases).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The White Dragon posted:

Well, I've had my share of unfortunate roll farts with Tunnel Armor. If it somehow spams the drill attack, you're screwed.

"Hey Locke check this out Runic will protect us from this boss"
*drill*
"... Uh"
*drill*
*game over*

use thunder rod as an item, kill it in one hit.

Most bosses in FFVI have some kind of way to kill them really fast

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Why is something with "lance" in the name not a weapon dragoons would use? Best spear I can buy right now is wind spear. Should I have dual weilding bartz master samurai or dragoon next? I like the passive bonus you get for mastering samurai but dual spears seems pretty strong. Will jump hit twice if a dragoon dual weilds?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Will jump hit twice if a dragoon dual weilds?

I don't think so, no :(

The game basically tries very hard to screw you out of doing anything cool with Dual Wield, aside from Dual Wield itself which is inherently cool.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ross posted:

I also seem to remember that using Dual Wield and Rapid Fire with two of them didn't give the 16 hits I was expecting. I think it ignores the second hit when you use Rapid Fire :(
Yup, Rapid Fire tends to nullify a lot of passive effects. I was as disappointed as you were, I'm sure, because after a while, 9999 is boring, but sixteen hits of <9999 is awesome.

Why is something with "lance" in the name not a weapon dragoons would use?
I think they meant more like "lancet" except they forgot the "t" at the end.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Ross posted:

You actually steal them from the statues. It's a rare steal, so most of the time you just get hi-potions. I don't think their effect works with Rapid Fire though, but dual wielding them is basically doing a concentrated Rapid Fire on one target anyways.

Oh E:f;b on everything. I apparently can't read.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ross posted:

I don't think so, no :(

The game basically tries very hard to screw you out of doing anything cool with Dual Wield, aside from Dual Wield itself which is inherently cool.

Uhhhhh what

Dual-Wield/Rapidfire is like the biggest gamebreaker in a game full of them, especially if you add in spellblade or something. That's pretty cool!

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Fungah! posted:

Uhhhhh what

Dual-Wield/Rapidfire is like the biggest gamebreaker in a game full of them, especially if you add in spellblade or something. That's pretty cool!

I'm sorry you disuhhhhhgree with my subjective definition of cool.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003

Why is something with "lance" in the name not a weapon dragoons would use? Best spear I can buy right now is wind spear. Should I have dual weilding bartz master samurai or dragoon next? I like the passive bonus you get for mastering samurai but dual spears seems pretty strong. Will jump hit twice if a dragoon dual weilds?

Samurai will teach you Gil Toss, and if you were looking to break this game apart that might be what you want. Dragoon doesn't have anything going for it except Jump and Lance, and neither of those are really game changers, though both have their uses. Actually Lance might be useful for a caster, though the effect is weaker than Drain or Osmose.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I never found much of a use for Dragoons in FF5, I would go with Samurai if you're choosing one of those two.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

It really speaks to how obscenely powerful the other Earth Crystal jobs can get when Dragoon is considered to be the weakest of the four.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Actually Lance might be useful for a caster, though the effect is weaker than Drain or Osmose.

It's actually the same power as Drain, but it is a half-power Osmose. (Drain has 45 Magic Attack and Osmose has 8 Magic Attack; Lance uses a 45 Magic Power Drain and a 4 Magic Power Osmose.) Lance is also guaranteed to hit, which Drain isn't. (75% Hit vs. Auto-Hit for Lance)

Source: FFV algorithm guide, section 10.15 (Dragoon commands)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Necromancer's Undead is the only other innate class passive that a Freelancer doesn't get. Makes sense, because those two would kinda make the class worse rather than better.

E; Admittedly, by the time you get a Necromancer normally this is a non-issue but still.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Source: FFV algorithm guide, section 10.15 (Dragoon commands)

Why did this make me laugh

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The most difficult FF game is most definitely Mystic Quest. Great music, but man. Never could finish that ball-buster.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003

Dragonatrix posted:

Necromancer's Undead is the only other innate class passive that a Freelancer doesn't get. Makes sense, because those two would kinda make the class worse rather than better.

E; Admittedly, by the time you get a Necromancer normally this is a non-issue but still.

Look I'm not saying it's a good idea but a Dual Wielding Undead Berserk Mime sounds like a pretty lethal force at the end of it all. Useless, but lethal.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

victrix posted:

Why did this make me laugh

I was legitimately curious and still had it bookmarked when I was helping with that ridiculous guide that we collectively made for the Four Job Fiesta. :shobon:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The most difficult FF game is most definitely Mystic Quest. Great music, but man. Never could finish that ball-buster.

FFMQ was the height of :rock: SNES music.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It can't be worse than the gigantic FAQ (which I'm pretty sure is still on GameFAQs) that contains every single combat algorithm for Breath of Fire 2, a game not exactly notable for the expansiveness of its combat.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFMQ was the height of :rock: SNES music.

Kenji Ito would like to have a word with you :colbert:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Vermain posted:

It can't be worse than the gigantic FAQ (which I'm pretty sure is still on GameFAQs) that contains every single combat algorithm for Breath of Fire 2, a game not exactly notable for the expansiveness of its combat.

There are systems faqs for the Saga games, I checked recently with all the Kawazu chatter. They're enormous, detailed, and in some cases, include fan translated material from the japanese ultimania guides.

One of the ones for Saga Frontier was a deconstruction of the game code. It was also from within the last few years, and I'm pretty sure that game came out in the late 90s.

Never underestimate Square fans!

Also since I was considering tackling that Kawazu challenge idea, I went and looked up some videos on youtube. The playthrough videos I found? Made by the same guy who did the tutorial videos for the game. What was he doing in the random video I picked? Running the game in an emulator so he could spam savestates to farm money and rare spells. (This was an upgrade from the tutorial videos where he explained some concept involving using two memory cards to swap quicksaves or something to do the same thing, only much, much slower).

Note that I have nothing against cheating, it's the hilarious inefficiency of it that cracked me up - if you're going to cheat, cheat! Don't waste hours of your (and your viewers) time with stupid save state abuse, just hack the drat thing!

Game looks pretty drat unappealing though, I gotta say. I dug out my copy and it, much like FF12 looks pretty loving nice in an emulator (nice high res sprites), but the actual gameplay...

edit: I also have no idea where my copies of SF1/2 are. I'm not actually sure I still own SF2, I found it really offputting. I do have Last Remnant on Steam. Why do I own all of Kawazu's games :eng99:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cardboard Fox posted:

A lot of people I've talked to had trouble with the Kimahri solo fight, but I've never had trouble with it since I never used Kimahri until that point. During the battle I just get spammed with all these new monster abilities which instantly fills up the overdrive meter making the fight into a joke.

Hell, is there any reason to use him when you have Tidus and Auron? Maybe if blue magic didn't have the overdrive requirement he would have been a good character.

His position on the Sphere Grid meant that you could make him pretty useful jack of all trades if you knew what you were doing, but I think it's safe to say that 90% of people completely ignored him. I don't know how International changed that - everyone basically had a more flexible sphere grid so not sure what makes him useful in that.

If you're at the point where everyone has the same maxed out stats and do 99,999 with each hit the best characters were Tidus, Wakka, Yuna because the first 2 had multi-hit overdrives and only Yuna can summon. Yuna had the easiest final weapon to get if I remember correctly, no horrible minigames. Kimahri, Lulu and Wakka have the hardest to get depending on who you ask.

I want them to actually announce something for that FFX HD Port :/

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Kimahri, Lulu and Wakka have the hardest to get depending on who you ask.

You forgot Tidus. It never got to me, but I remember reading about tons of people breaking controllers over how frustrating Chocobo racing was back when that game came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

W.T. Fits posted:

You forgot Tidus. It never got to me, but I remember reading about tons of people breaking controllers over how frustrating Chocobo racing was back when that game came out.

I had difficulty with it, but there's pretty much step by step instructions on the internet on the exact path you should take. A couple attempts to get the route down perfect and you're done.