Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

My friend is seriously considering buying a 2.5 TDi A4, and I've agreed to help him do the cambelt when he does. Should I just shoot myself?

Isn't an oversize ring set just slightly longer around the circumference, to go with the larger pistons? I'd have thought putting them on a standard piston would simply result in little or no gap, and they'd end up too loose on the piston even if they filled the bore better.

drat it, I really cannot afford to bore and buy oversized pistons right now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

drat it, I really cannot afford to bore and buy oversized pistons right now...

Wait...... You said "The current OEM standard rings are leaking compression, I'm thinking stepping up to a .25mm oversize ring set, but would I need to replace the pistons as well?"

Why would you need oversized rings if you don't need to bore it? If the defects can be honed out chances are high a set of stock rings will do the trick. I mean regular honing, not spending 20 minutes per bore with a honing tool on a drill and hoping things are still round.

And if a honing won't do it, no amount of oversized rings will help, because the bores aren't bigger.....they are scratched/gouged. That's why you leak compression/oil. You don't need to bore unless the scratches are deep enough to require it.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Powershift posted:

Everybody has their stupid maintenance items. Toyota/nissan v8s put the starter under the intake manifold. the FRS/BRZ requires you to drop the engine to replace the spark plugs. A ton of work on the 03-10 ford f-350s is a cab off job.

GM making you drop the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump comes to mind as well.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

GM making you drop the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump comes to mind as well.

The B5 chassis has that too, except for the filter, not the pump.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

That's more than just GM.

Fortunately you can cut holes in the floor for more of the SUVs if you know whereto cut. I don't think I'd do that to a pickup box, but I will tell you that I'd rather pull the box than drop the tank on cars from this area (heavily salted).

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Not really that hard, though doing it without breaking the plastic fuel inlets is another trick.

03 TDI golf: I was told by a diesel mech that i should be running some kind of lubricant with my low sulfur fuel?
This guy said a little dextron in the tank would keep my injectors alive longer. What does AI recommend?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
If you have easy access to biodiesel, using a low percentage works great for lubricity; like 2-5%. There's some fairly extensive threads on lubricity and additives on the tdiclub forums.

Edit: And an 03 will do fine with higher levels of biodiesel. You can't go too high on the new 2.0 CR engines because it screws up the regen cycle. VW will also void the warranty for biodiesel fuel use above a certain threshold, which I think is 5%.

Yeah, I just looked it up and and you can up to B5.

Opensourcepirate fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 10, 2013

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Well I picked up a 2003 Golf last weekend. So far I've been loving it. It's way more comfortable than my Miata. Having more room is pretty great too. It also has pretty much all the mods I wanted to do anyways. The Raceland coilovers aren't nearly as bad as the PO made them out to be, but I'm also used to having the Miatas illuminas adjusted pretty stiff. It should get 45-50 mpg but on the first tank I only got 40mpg. It's hard to not mash the throttle and feel all those torques.

Mod list:
520 nozzles
Resealed injection pump for B100
stage 2 tune
Panzer aluminum skid plate
Black leather interior swap
Heated seats (needs the wire harness though)
VR6 clutch with single mass flywheel
Jetta inner fender liner for more airflow to the intercooler
GTI headlights with euro headlight switch
Riceland coil overs
Tinted windows
Aftermarket wheels

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NinjaTech posted:

Well I picked up a 2003 Golf last weekend. So far I've been loving it. It's way more comfortable than my Miata. Having more room is pretty great too. It also has pretty much all the mods I wanted to do anyways. The Raceland coilovers aren't nearly as bad as the PO made them out to be, but I'm also used to having the Miatas illuminas adjusted pretty stiff. It should get 45-50 mpg but on the first tank I only got 40mpg. It's hard to not mash the throttle and feel all those torques.

Mod list:
520 nozzles
stage 2 tune
Riceland coil overs
Tinted windows
Aftermarket wheels

Score! Looks great!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Opensourcepirate posted:

If you have easy access to biodiesel, using a low percentage works great for lubricity; like 2-5%. There's some fairly extensive threads on lubricity and additives on the tdiclub forums.

Edit: And an 03 will do fine with higher levels of biodiesel. You can't go too high on the new 2.0 CR engines because it screws up the regen cycle. VW will also void the warranty for biodiesel fuel use above a certain threshold, which I think is 5%.

Yeah, I just looked it up and and you can up to B5.

The reason the new CR isn't supposed to use bio is because bio doesn't burn off correctly when running a regen and ends up in the oil. This is fine and dandy, and only causes issues if you don't pay attention to your oil level and or go too long without an oil change.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

NinjaTech posted:

Well I picked up a 2003 Golf last weekend.

Congrats! Looks like it's in good shape. You're doing a lot better than my 2002 Golf 2.0. Last tank = 17.24mpg.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ThirstyBuck posted:

Congrats! Looks like it's in good shape. You're doing a lot better than my 2002 Golf 2.0. Last tank = 17.24mpg.

Pedal to the Metal eh?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Pedal to the Metal eh?

What the hell is the point... its a twopointslow.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
If you're not pinning the throttle everywhere you're gonna be going even slower. My car only makes 90hp but the 165lb-ft is enough to motivate it pretty well if you plant the throttle and short shift.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Pedal to the Metal eh?

There is truly no point; it's the most uninspiring engine I've ever driven. When I was living in France I had a friend with a MKIV Golf TDI 4motion (5-6 speed?) and another with a chipped Seat Léon turbo diesel. I've got a thread open on vwvortex soliciting ideas about my mileage...but that is non-diesel related chatter.

Any further word of the VW Golf GTD coming here in 2014? I'm working on getting a new job and I would love to replace the Golf with a TDI.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
What is a "regen cycle"?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Caithness posted:

What is a "regen cycle"?

Modern diesel emmissions equipment has a particulate filter, which is basically a ceramic sponge. This catches soot and small particles that otherwise cause lung damage; periodically, the ecu will pour extra fuel out into the exhaust to heat it up and cause the poo poo to burn, releasing CO2 gas instead of fine particulate.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

EightBit posted:

Modern diesel emmissions equipment has a particulate filter, which is basically a ceramic sponge. This catches soot and small particles that otherwise cause lung damage; periodically, the ecu will pour extra fuel out into the exhaust to heat it up and cause the poo poo to burn, releasing CO2 gas instead of fine particulate.

I think Powershift's dad tossed like 3000 gallons down his pipe over a hundred thousand miles or so.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ThirstyBuck posted:

There is truly no point; it's the most uninspiring engine I've ever driven. When I was living in France I had a friend with a MKIV Golf TDI 4motion (5-6 speed?) and another with a chipped Seat Léon turbo diesel. I've got a thread open on vwvortex soliciting ideas about my mileage...but that is non-diesel related chatter.

Any further word of the VW Golf GTD coming here in 2014? I'm working on getting a new job and I would love to replace the Golf with a TDI.

Won't ever happen. VW doesn't bring the good cars to the US. Plus it would cannibalize GTI sales.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Isn't the Golf TDI we get pretty close to a GTI though, aside from the engine?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Opensourcepirate posted:

Pretty much, I don't know if the GTI uses a VNT Turbo, but otherwise they are roughly similar and I've heard of plenty of people swapping GTI engines into a TDI body and vice versa.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Opensourcepirate posted:

They're both Golfs, so yeah.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Opensourcepirate posted:

The GTI gets bigger brakes, 18" wheels standard, different front bumper/foglights. It's also slightly lower with stiffer springs. But the golf TDI has a springset between the GTI and standard Golf.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

The GTI gets bigger brakes, 18" wheels standard, different front bumper/foglights. It's also slightly lower with stiffer springs. But the golf TDI has a springset between the GTI and standard Golf.

I don't need bigger brakes, I have engine braking :smug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

I think Powershift's dad tossed like 3000 gallons down his pipe over a hundred thousand miles or so.

13,000 gallons in 300,000 miles. nearly 50% of the price of a new truck.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

And we can all blame the assholes who run CARB. Even without the dpf and other bullshit on these new cars, the diesels are cleaner than any state other than Cali requires.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

NinjaTech posted:

Mod list:
520 nozzles
stage 2 tune
Riceland coil overs
Tinted windows
Aftermarket wheels

Major score

That's like every good mod for this car, the next place to go is turbo. And it looks super clean.

You can tell it was enthusiast owned because it has the VR6 clutch. G60 Corrado flywheel? That's the correct match. It'll chatter a little, that's completely normal. It'll also hold the torque that thing can put out. First gear basically does not exist on a car like that.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

primitive posted:

Major score

That's like every good mod for this car, the next place to go is turbo. And it looks super clean.

You can tell it was enthusiast owned because it has the VR6 clutch. G60 Corrado flywheel? That's the correct match. It'll chatter a little, that's completely normal. It'll also hold the torque that thing can put out. First gear basically does not exist on a car like that.

The PO did say he got a "more aggressive stage 2 tune" so he could upgrade to the VNT17 without having to get it tuned again. I think it will be awhile before I can afford that though. The interior is super clean, really loving how good the black leather looks. The paint is pretty chipped up on the front. It doesn't help that there is dried wax in a lot of the chips either. I need to buff out the headlights soon too since they're just starting to haze.

Yeah first gear just gets you going enough to not stall it in 2nd. Otherwise it just spins the tires and esp comes on. I actually don't get any chatter out of the clutch. So far I don't really see a need for the dual mass flywheel since this setup is so smooth.

I'll try to get some more pics up this weekend.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

It would have been over 50% of the cost of my truck new at current diesel prices. It pays to buy trucks in bulk, just like toilet paper.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

NinjaTech posted:

The PO did say he got a "more aggressive stage 2 tune" so he could upgrade to the VNT17 without having to get it tuned again. I think it will be awhile before I can afford that though. The interior is super clean, really loving how good the black leather looks. The paint is pretty chipped up on the front. It doesn't help that there is dried wax in a lot of the chips either. I need to buff out the headlights soon too since they're just starting to haze.

Yeah first gear just gets you going enough to not stall it in 2nd. Otherwise it just spins the tires and esp comes on. I actually don't get any chatter out of the clutch. So far I don't really see a need for the dual mass flywheel since this setup is so smooth.

I'll try to get some more pics up this weekend.

Do you know anything more about the chip tune? The best ones are done by Rocketchip, they show up to most of the enthusiast meets and usually have a long waiting list. It sounds like you might have Jeff's "Stage 2+" tune, but it would be good to know for sure.

Also, do you know which 520 nozzles you have? Assuming they came from Kerma TDI, there's 3 different power levels that are all nominally "520" -- in increasing order, Sprint, PowerPlus (probably / hopefully what you have), and Race.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Race 520s would smoke wicked bad with those mods. If it is an RC2 with PPs it should run really nice.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I don't think it was rocket chip. I know it was done at a place around Portland. I'm not sure which 520's they are but it only smokes when I go full throttle in boost. I'll try getting a hold of the PO to ask.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Wow, thanks for this thread. Recently bought a TDI and this thread has already taught me a bit about diesels.

veedubfreak posted:

Well at least the 2010 was still the "good" jetta. Now if you were driving say a "new" jetta that might be a good idea. But living in Texas, it's probably easier to just ask someone to help you move big poo poo :)

Hmm... Is there something wrong with the new Jettas? I sure hope not, 'cause I just bought a 2013 Jetta TDI in October. I love it so far, although I already have to replace my windshield and maybe have my hood re-painted (scratched the clearcoat, though I'm not sure if it scratched down to the metal) since a rock fell out of the back of a big-rig (Shitload of road contruction on CA-132). :(

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Well, if you weren't familiar with the older jetta, the new ones went back to the lovely trailing arm suspension, lost all the nice soft touch interior for lovely GM quality hard plastics. Basically they went down market as far as luxury goes so that they could hit that 17k starting point to compete with poo poo like Kia and Hyundai. Unless the TDI models get better stuff.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

TWBalls posted:

Hmm... Is there something wrong with the new Jettas? I sure hope not, 'cause I just bought a 2013 Jetta TDI in October. I love it so far, although I already have to replace my windshield and maybe have my hood re-painted (scratched the clearcoat, though I'm not sure if it scratched down to the metal) since a rock fell out of the back of a big-rig (Shitload of road contruction on CA-132). :(

They are not the same car really, particularly the interior. I have had people get into my 2010 and say "Wait, this is a Volkswagen?!" and then remark about how it feels like a more expensive car. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the new Jetta; I have heard great things about them and they sell like hotcakes. I also have heard them called the VW Corolla by some people.

Mechanic question: as long as a mechanic has VW experience they should be all good to work with the TDI correct? There are a number of dedicated diesel techs around but I think that they primarily work with truck engines a I don't know if they would be used to VWs um, unique, way of cramming poo poo in awful locations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just did my first real road trip with my Golf and got an indicated 36.4 mpg for the whole 1500 mile trip. Not bad since we had 4 dudes and all of our ski gear stuffed inside and the entire first half of the trip was uphill from Kansas City to Breckenridge. We originally started with the boards and skis up on the roof rack which was absolutely murdering the mileage we were getting, but the rack attachment failed so we had to jam everything inside and it went way up from there :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

Well, if you weren't familiar with the older jetta, the new ones went back to the lovely trailing arm suspension, lost all the nice soft touch interior for lovely GM quality hard plastics. Basically they went down market as far as luxury goes so that they could hit that 17k starting point to compete with poo poo like Kia and Hyundai. Unless the TDI models get better stuff.

Used to be the TDI engine only came in the bodies that came with nearly all the options.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

Just did my first real road trip with my Golf and got an indicated 36.4 mpg for the whole 1500 mile trip. Not bad since we had 4 dudes and all of our ski gear stuffed inside and the entire first half of the trip was uphill from Kansas City to Breckenridge. We originally started with the boards and skis up on the roof rack which was absolutely murdering the mileage we were getting, but the rack attachment failed so we had to jam everything inside and it went way up from there :v:

That sounds about right. I did 2000 miles round trip over the week of new years by myself from Denver to Huntsville, TX and got about that kind of mileage, but I was averaging 80mph the whole way. I don't get the best mileage in mine though because I have 19" wheels instead of the stock 17s.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

That's about how they look...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

veedubfreak posted:

Oh, okay. I was a bit worried it was something reliability wise that might have been a problem. I'm inclined to agree about the interior. I sprung for the premium package so that I could get the Fender Audio system and while it sounds nice, it does cause the door panels to vibrate at higher volumes. I'm hoping some Dynamat will help fix that.

I've noticed a few of you talking about MT TDI's. I had a hell of a time finding a dealership that had any in stock and when they did, unfortunately, none were offered with any premium features. I was looking forward to having a manual again after my last car, but the DSG sure seems a lot nicer than the AT that was in my older 3.2TL Type-S. Since I'm currently commuting about 123Mi a day, I really wanted a descent Stereo and at least some luxuries.

• Locked thread